I have some difficulty understanding the Mezzala role. Especially comparing it to the carrilero as both roles operate quite wide as I understand it? How do they compare to a box to box also? I use a Mezzala in the MCL position on support duty and an inside forward on attack in the AML position. I've seen people say this is a bad idea as they operate in similar space and that is a good idea as they combine well. Does anyone have a good explanation of the Mezzala and what other roles it pairs well with? What systems it's most effective in. 

I'm looking at using the Mezzala in two systems, a 4-1-2-3 DM wide in a control possession style. Two Mezzalas either side of a 3 man CM in a 4-1-3-2 more direct and counter attacking system with aggressive wing backs. I want to use them as I understand they can contribute a lot to scoring and play in the final third, exploiting space and taking shots.

A  Mezzala is an offensive, technical role that will look to move forwards into the channels (half-spaces) in the offensive phase. Can be good to create width and overloads. Can be particularly useful in narrower formations. (Think Di Maria at Benfica)

A Carrilero is a more conservative role that looks to drift laterally in the offensive phase - (imagine how a crab moves). Can be useful when covering for an aggressive winger/fullback combo and providing a wider passing outlet for the team. (Think Ramires at Chelsea)

This thread is best source from the GOAT himself:

Edited by Luizinho

Thank you, very helpful!

So from what you've said and from the link you've sent, I figure I shouldn't have my Mezzala on the same side as my inside forward? Perhaps it would be more suitable on the right hand side where I have a winger?

3 minutes ago, Blah_1123 said:

Thank you, very helpful!

So from what you've said and from the link you've sent, I figure I shouldn't have my Mezzala on the same side as my inside forward? Perhaps it would be more suitable on the right hand side where I have a winger?

Both can work - it all depends on what you're looking to achieve.

I use a Mezzala (S) next to an Inside Forward (A) and it works great, but I'm trying to specifically replicate something akin to the Barcelona 2011 team. The IF (A) push high and creates room for the Mezzala to find space to work in.

A Mezzala next to a Winger can work equally well. With a Winger (S) remaining wide, they're able to pull the opposing Fullback out with him and therefore making the half-space bigger for a Mezzala to exploit.

Again both can work :brock:

4 hours ago, Blah_1123 said:

I have some difficulty understanding the Mezzala role. Especially comparing it to the carrilero as both roles operate quite wide as I understand it? How do they compare to a box to box also?

The mezzala is the most attack-minded, most creative and most roaming (free-movement) of these 3 roles. Carrilero is the most defensive-minded, or the least attack-minded if you will. BBM is somewhere in between.

Another way to describe them could be this:

- Mezzala - the creative and very mobile attacking runner

- BBM - hard-working and moderately mobile runner, equally involved in attacking and defending

- CAR - covering midfielder who looks to protect his flank while also being available to support attacks (primarily as a ball-recycler)

One may also describe the carrilero as a "light" version of BBM, as both roles are hard-working, but carrilero covers a bit smaller portion of the pitch.

1 hour ago, nexting said:

Could all 3 roles be used effectively at the same time?

Probably not because none of them are really holding midfielders. You'd need a CMd or a DLPs/d to cover for the roaming they do.

2 hours ago, nexting said:

Could all 3 roles be used effectively at the same time?

Yes of course, anything can work. It's not a traditional set-up for a flat three midfield, but in the right system any kind of combination can work to an extent.

If you played a narrow 4-1-3-2 for example, with a DLP in the DMC slot and an attacking fullback on the same side as the Carrilero...