How do you decide on who to sign?

So I scout players until the player stats are within a few points eg passing 12-14. 

My next step is to compare the player with the current player I use in that position by going into player comparison- attributes - highlight key attributes for role - then whichever role. 
Then I count the difference between the players and look to sign the player if the players tally adds up to more than my current player. 
I will sometimes look to add a few other stats onto the player tally’s aswell such as determination for all, and acceleration for my CB’S, FB’S, Defensive winger and pressing forwards. 
I also take into consideration the negatives on the players scout report such as ‘does not enjoy big matches’ or words to that effect. 
I will then add notes to the player, with how many better or worse they are than my current player. 

What I would like to know is, is there a more time effective way of deciding to sign a player? I’m spending most of my times just tallying up players stats. 

1 hour ago, BARNESDON said:

So I scout players until the player stats are within a few points eg passing 12-14. 

My next step is to compare the player with the current player I use in that position by going into player comparison- attributes - highlight key attributes for role - then whichever role. 
Then I count the difference between the players and look to sign the player if the players tally adds up to more than my current player. 
I will sometimes look to add a few other stats onto the player tally’s aswell such as determination for all, and acceleration for my CB’S, FB’S, Defensive winger and pressing forwards. 
I also take into consideration the negatives on the players scout report such as ‘does not enjoy big matches’ or words to that effect. 
I will then add notes to the player, with how many better or worse they are than my current player. 

What I would like to know is, is there a more time effective way of deciding to sign a player? I’m spending most of my times just tallying up players stats. 

I posted here as I classed this as ‘strategy’? 

Disregarding U-18 players (because they have their own rules) I usually take the following steps:

0) Mass scouting with loose restrictions. I need a good base to filter from! In advanced saves this is mostly used for talents and hidden heroes though — it is my aim to stay informed on all better leagues.

2) I filter my list with loose restrictions and create some shortlists. Depending on finances or need based upon transfer costs, how well developed key attributes are, or a combination thereof. I usually make three at this stage (four to five for combinations).

3) I scout these lists so that I get three reports at the same time each cycle. Due to my shortlist each player fits the basic description but in another way: Either I have a filter for key stats or cost!

4) I go through the fully scouted lists. If players have something special to them, I move them to a different shortlist. What I look for here are high consistency or big matches, some really well balanced or high key stats (with mentals>physicals>technicals (except First Touch in possession)), really good personalities, or perfectly fitting PPMs. 

5) The new shortlist is my final filter. I usually do a gut decision there about how much I am willing to spend and whether I look for star players or developing players or good hands (my youth and reserve sometimes helps here!). I filter through this decision.

6) Based upon this decision I have maybe two to four players left. It is most efficient to negotiate with all and see if one can strike a bargain. Having options makes it easier to drive harder bargains :)

7) Because I am a big softie I end up with four players bought and employed well over value. 

Cheere for that, I assume you would define key attributes would be about 3 such as tackling, heading and marking for CB rather than about 15 when I click on CB defend when comparing? 

An important one for GK imo would be concentration, especially if I’m expecting to be an attacking team, not conceding many shots. 

If they have a cool enough name or not :D

I'm doing a save where I can only sign players who are recommended to me in the Scout Centre.

Then I just shortlisted who I think can play a role for my team after a quick glance of their attributes.

I used my scout report recommendation number as a basic guideline, with some of the pros/cons making or breaking the deal.