(FM20) Trying to Stay Afloat

murphbot1204

2021/2022 Season Preview: Sportvereinigung Ried

SV Ried were the little team that could last season. Many had predicted Wilkinger to be a mid-table team last season, but they, led by First-Year Manager Austin Shula and Austrian 2.Liga Player of the Year Stefan Nutz, were able to shock everyone, winning the 2.Liga over pre-season favourites St. Polten. However, a hard life in the TIPICO Bundesliga awaits the men from Ried. Many people are pegging them to go straight back down to the 2.Liga this season, but there's a lot of reason to think that they could pull off the impossible, and be able to stay up in the Bundesliga now and into the future.

Basics

Unfortunately, I'm a bit of an idiot. When I started this save, I didn't expect it to go on for long. However, it's now become one of my longest saves on FM, and now I regret not recording anything. But, here are the essentials:

Journeyman Career starting from May 2020 (Save file loaded in Sep 2019, but holidayed through to May)

Managing SV Ried, I joined in May 2020, 3 games from the end of the season. I won 2 of 3, before then taking them on to win the 2.Liga the next season, after many pegged us to finish mid-table

I live-tweeted the last 9 games, me reacts are here - https://twitter.com/ojmurphbot/status/1259128202787729408?s=20

THE TEAM

image.thumb.png.5ad0007a239c6f65fb84f2ac93e293e3.png

Main Players:

Stefan Nutz - DM - Star player of the team, Austrian 2.Liga Player of the year, definitely someone to depend on

Julius Ducker - ST - Bought for £137k in the  Summer Transfer Window, scored 13 goals in 22 (3) appearances. Another player to depend on up front

Luke Thomas - AM(R) - Bought for £800k in the summer transfer window, made a massive impact on the side

Harry Souttar - D - Initially bought in on a 1 year loan the previous season, before making it permanent this year for £775k, a rock at the back (Not Pictured)

Preseason Scheduele:

image.thumb.png.fd993c1e8ad15afb892308b6b34e7988.png

A mix of fixtures here. First, you got the big ones in Lyon and Leipzig, which will be difficult. Then you have FC Wacker Innsbruck, who are in the 2.Liga. Finally, you have Chemnitz and Aalen, both in the German Regional Leagues. An interesting start, especially with the OFB Cup match in between these games as well

PRESEASON

image.thumb.png.15024af614e179470669751ffba51766.png

Preseason over and done with. Kinda disappointed, but mostly a rotated squad each game, you can't ask for much. Not happy with the cup game, but also didn't expect much as I decided to blood a couple of youngesters. I get SV Horn, a top contender last year in the 2.Liga, in the second round, with expectation being that I reach the Quarters.

TRANSFERS IN/OUT

image.thumb.png.ed024ea85c34c44afcefb67948ea5bad.png

Transfer-wise, I'm ok with most of the deals done. A lot of the outs are trying to get my youths out on loan to get match experience, with a couple of first-team players leaving on permanent deals. Souttar was a great get after last season's outstanding form, and I'm hoping Tahvon Campbell can step up off the bench behind Ducker and Gschweidl. The other two are central defenders, as I start to look at building towards the future. Probably looking to get possibly one more deal in, although the bank is pretty much empty from the Souttar deal, plus a load of contracts going up after promotion

July/August Preview

image.thumb.png.08a20bdb5d30f736859c4e8633c1b02e.png

Not the best stretch of games to start, with a mix of lower table teams and right-up-there teams. Looking to get a few points from this stretch, also get the first look at rivals LASK, as well as fellow relegation candidates WSG Tirol and Wacker Modling (Both are 1000-1 to win the league).

Edited by murphbot1204