Can't get teams from group stage to knockout stage

BKmind

I'm currently creating a new world cup tournament from scratch with custom nations. I've individually entered each team into the tournament and defined which groups they should go into, and have also set up the link between the group stage and knockout stage to have 1-Group A v. 2-Group B, etc. However, when testing the rules, I get an error saying that 0/16 teams have been found in stage 1 (knockout stage). I must have missed something, but I can't for the life of me figure out what. I'm still somewhat of a beginner when it comes to the FM editor, so I would appreciate your help.  

World Cup Sim.fmf

Hello - I’m doing the same thing in a recent topic on this forum. I was getting this error too, but managed to solve it. Unfortunately I am away from my computer now but can help you out later. You can download my file in the topic “can’t connect World Cup stages” or something like that in the meantime. You need to have the teams populate Stage 1 from Stage 0 - sorry I can’t remember the details!

13 minutes ago, ronaldo1026 said:

Hello - I’m doing the same thing in a recent topic on this forum. I was getting this error too, but managed to solve it. Unfortunately I am away from my computer now but can help you out later. You can download my file in the topic “can’t connect World Cup stages” or something like that in the meantime. You need to have the teams populate Stage 1 from Stage 0 - sorry I can’t remember the details!

Thank you so much, I'll have a look

I believe you need to go to Team Pool of the second stage (Stage 1) and "Get Qualified Teams from Stage" under type and then the stage number (0). This got rid of that warning about 0/16 teams.

However, when actually playing my tournament in the game, mine stops after the group stages, even after validating. So, tread carefully with my advice.

20200509111341_1.jpg

I'm having the same issue. No matter what I try, the group stage finishes, 2 teams qualify from the group stage but stage 1 either doesnt start or (more recently) commences one round with the wrong teams then stops. Did the exact same tournament on FM19, same setup, got it working with no issues. Anyone have any ideas why it doesn't work this time?

I tinkered around a little and managed to fix the tournament, so feel free to have a look through my database. The one thing I haven't managed to figure out completely is how to correctly arrange the first knockout stage (to have 1st Group A vs. 2nd Group B, etc.), but at least everything progresses as it should

World Cup Sim.fmf

Weird...it seems like I have the same settings but the difference was your Stage 1 and Round 0 names were identical. Changing that still didn't work for me. I've reached out to an editor for some help, will keep you posted.

In my file, I have (I think) the 1A v 2B, 1B v 2A set up for the round of 16 if you want to take a look at it:

WorldCup2006.fmf

I'm not sure if this is the issue, but I noticed that your round of 16 stage has the "number of teams added to round" option selected, which I think means that 16 teams are added to the round in addition to the 16 advancing from the group stages. There might be some conflict with there only being 8 games defined in the round. Not sure if this is the answer, but worth taking a look.  

On another note, were you able to get custom rosters defined for your teams? For some reason, when I load my database into FM some players aren't picked for the respective national teams, despite there only being 22 players per nationality in my "custom" nations.

image.png

That's a good shout but not it. I see the teams that finish 1st or 2nd in the group are "promoted" rather than "qualified." Problem is, I don't know where that would be - I have qualified checked.

I haven't gotten to the squad selection part, but I think I'll just have to manage the teams I want to and let the AI choose the selections for the rest of the teams. That's strange that you only have 22 players of that nationality but they aren't all getting selected. Is the game making fake players to fill in?

On 12/05/2020 at 18:33, ronaldo1026 said:

Weird...it seems like I have the same settings but the difference was your Stage 1 and Round 0 names were identical. Changing that still didn't work for me. I've reached out to an editor for some help, will keep you posted.

In my file, I have (I think) the 1A v 2B, 1B v 2A set up for the round of 16 if you want to take a look at it:

WorldCup2006.fmf 18.37 kB · 0 downloads

I have DM you mate. Might be able to help

So, I discovered what was causing my issue from stage 0 to stage 1 -  under League Settings for All Groups, I had "Other League Stage Flags --- Don't randomize the team order when scheduling the league." This caused Promotions instead of Qualification for stage 1, and the tournament ended there after stage 0.

Problem is, I'd like to not have randomized fixtures and would like to play the games in the order as I have set the teams up as 0, 1, 2, 3. Is there any way to get the game to stop randomizing the fixtures of the group in another way??

20200519221744_1.jpg