General tactical pointers...

Hi!

Taken a job with Napoli. Looking to play 4-2-3-1 but struggling to dominate possession, even against the far lesser teams. Attached current tactics if anyone could offer input..

Thanks!

69B26691-5BDB-4DA8-AD24-08ACDBB96A1A.jpeg

As many as 3 playmakers are a clear example of tactical overkill in my book. And even more so when played literally next to each other. Even 2 are usually too much when close to each other, let alone 3. Therefore, that's the first thing you need to change in your tactic. 

1 hour ago, TEGER said:

struggling to dominate possession, even against the far lesser teams

Well, if you want possession-oriented football, then instructions such as higher tempo, pass into space, run at defence and counter are definitely not going to help. Especially when used all at once. 

Apart from the possession thing, your setup of roles and duties looks fairly sterile attacking-wise. Not only because of 3 playmakers, but also in relation to both flanks. 

If you would like me to give you an example of how a nicely balanced and possession-based 4231 tactic can be set up, please let me know :thup:

The two central midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 have to be somewhat defensively focused in order to allow the front four to operate up the pitch. An AP really isn't going to do that for you. CM(d), CM(s), DLP(d), BBM(s), and BWM are probably your best bets here.

19 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

As many as 3 playmakers are a clear example of tactical overkill in my book. And even more so when played literally next to each other. Even 2 are usually too much when close to each other, let alone 3. Therefore, that's the first thing you need to change in your tactic. 

Well, if you want possession-oriented football, then instructions such as higher tempo, pass into space, run at defence and counter are definitely not going to help. Especially when used all at once. 

Apart from the possession thing, your setup of roles and duties looks fairly sterile attacking-wise. Not only because of 3 playmakers, but also in relation to both flanks. 

If you would like me to give you an example of how a nicely balanced and possession-based 4231 tactic can be set up, please let me know :thup:

Yes definitely please!

1 hour ago, TEGER said:
21 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yes definitely please!

For example, this could be a nice, simple and sensible possession-oriented setup of roles and duties in a 4231:

DLFsu

IFat           AMat         IWsu

CAR   DLPde

WBsu  CDde  CDde   FBat

GK/SKde

NOTE: Regardless of how well you set up roles and duties relative to the type of your system, when it comes specifically to formations such as 4231 or 424 - it's of vital importance that both CMs are defensively reliable players (attributes to look for the CMs defense-wise are: tackling, positioning, bravery, work rate, teamwork, stamina, anticipation and at least decent speed). Otherwise, you better avoid a 4231/424 and instead go with some more balanced/less top-heavy formation.

Team instructions can vary depending on what specific type of possession football you want to play - patient possession or more progressive versions. But those that are more or less a "norm" in possession-oriented systems include:

- shorter (or much shorter) passing

- play out of defence

- tempo should not be higher than standard (medium)

- higher (or much higher) defensive line

- Line of engagement should not be lower than standard 

Mentality - either Balanced or Positive

Other possible instructions - again - can vary. But it's always advisable to start with as few as possible (i.e. only the basic ones) and then you can possibly make small gradual tweaks as you see fit, based on what you observe watching a particular match. Do not make any tweaks only for the sake of tweaking. Make sure anything you do really makes sense. And also keep in mind that nothing within a tactic works in isolation - neither instructions nor roles/duties; to the contrary - everything is interrelated.

Now try to rearrange your tactic following those suggestions, but be careful to avoid any kind of tactical overkill. Then come back and post a screenshot of that new (revised) tactic for "inspection" :brock:

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

For example, this could be a nice, simple and sensible possession-oriented setup of roles and duties in a 4231:

DLFsu

IFat           AMat         IWsu

CAR   DLPde

WBsu  CDde  CDde   FBat

GK/SKde

NOTE: Regardless of how well you set up roles and duties relative to the type of your system, when it comes specifically to formations such as 4231 or 424 - it's of vital importance that both CMs are defensively reliable players (attributes to look for the CMs defense-wise are: tackling, positioning, bravery, work rate, teamwork, stamina, anticipation and at least decent speed). Otherwise, you better avoid a 4231/424 and instead go with some more balanced/less top-heavy formation.

Team instructions can vary depending on what specific type of possession football you want to play - patient possession or more progressive versions. But those that are more or less a "norm" in possession-oriented systems include:

- shorter (or much shorter) passing

- play out of defence

- tempo should not be higher than standard (medium)

- higher (or much higher) defensive line

- Line of engagement should not be lower than standard 

Mentality - either Balanced or Positive

Other possible instructions - again - can vary. But it's always advisable to start with as few as possible (i.e. only the basic ones) and then you can possibly make small gradual tweaks as you see fit, based on what you observe watching a particular match. Do not make any tweaks only for the sake of tweaking. Make sure anything you do really makes sense. And also keep in mind that nothing within a tactic works in isolation - neither instructions nor roles/duties; to the contrary - everything is interrelated.

Now try to rearrange your tactic following those suggestions, but be careful to avoid any kind of tactical overkill. Then come back and post a screenshot of that new (revised) tactic for "inspection" :brock:

Perfect! Thanks... attached latest update!

Gone with the general CM which seem to have had a nice effect so far

image.jpg

17 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Okay. Let's hope it will last. 

It’s strange because that previous tactic (the ones including the instructions I originally posted) worked really well for a time. Then just seemed to stop!

3 minutes ago, TEGER said:

It’s strange because that previous tactic (the ones including the instructions I originally posted) worked really well for a time. Then just seemed to stop!

Well, that's usually the case with tactics that are not optimally balanced. They may work for some time (due to ME imperfection), but then suddenly fail (as the AI adapts).