Baby, You're a Lost Cause (Jones Patterson, Part 2)

he_2

Table as at Saturday 17th April 2021:

P

W

D

L

F

A

Pts

GD

Glasgow Rangers

Glasgow Celtic

Heart of Midlothian

Kilmarnock

Motherwell

Dundee United

Aberdeen

Hibernian

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Livingston

St Johnstone

St Mirren

Saturday 17th April

Dundee Utd

Kilmarnock

Hearts

Celtic

Rangers

Motherwell

Aberdeen

Hibernian

Livingston

St Johnstone

St Mirren

Inverness

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was such a colossal buzz around the place. Everyone connected with the club knew that we were on the verge of something quite brilliant, something that would begin to exorcise that decade of pain since the club was dissolved and forced to begin again back in the 3rd division of the Scottish League. We were solvent, no money was owned to any third party, we’d done things within our means up to this point and had reached the final steps just below the summit through hard work.

Training was excellent. There was a zip, an enjoyment but also a razor-sharp focus amongst the players. They knew what was at stake and wanted to be those at the forefront of the new chapter of success at Ibrox Park. We never once mentioned actually winning the title throughout the week of preparation, choosing instead simply to focus as we always did on what it would take to beat our opponents. If we managed to do that then the title, this time around, was the sweetest of bonuses to come around with another three points.

Of course, the gentle folk of the press wouldn’t be sated by being given the brush-off. Players were interviewed and remained faithful to the party line, only in my pre-match press conference at Ibrox the day before the Kilmarnock match did I allude to what potentially lay ahead.

James Boyle: Jones, Rangers are just one win away from being crowned champions. Are you confident of seeing it through and getting the required result tomorrow?

Our only focus is, as it is before every match, on getting three points tomorrow against Kilmarnock. Of course, we’re all aware what that’ll bring with it but that’s not anywhere near our thinking right now. It’s simply on what we need to do to beat Kilmarnock. I am confident that the boys will deliver as they have so often this season so far.

Petar Genchev: You’ve turned Ibrox into a fortress, not losing here domestically all season so far. How important is a good home record?

The old maxim is to win your home matches, isn’t it? If you do that more often than not and then pick bits and pieces up on the road then you’ll have a decent campaign. I don’t think any side would relish a trip here and maybe that puts us in the box seat before the game has kicked off.

JB: How important is Joe Aribo going to be tomorrow when you consider his standout qualities?

Joe’s a big part of what we do and a big reason why we are where we are at this stage in the campaign. He comes up big in every game regardless of the opposition and I’m sure he’s going to come to the fore again tomorrow.

PG: Likewise, Ryan Kent has a number of outstanding attributes which many feel could make a difference tomorrow against Kilmarnock. Do you agree?

Again, Ryan – like so many of the boys – has been integral to our success so far. His goal threat, his ability to go on the outside or cut inside, the way he can beat a player – all of that mark him out as a threat every time he gets out onto the field. I’m sure tomorrow will be no different and he’ll have a say in the game.

Kyle Connell: Would you agree that this is your biggest and most important match of the season?

Given what’s at stake, probably, yes.

KC: Any nerves?

Haha, look, there’s always a few little butterflies before a game and it’s the same ahead of this one. There’s nothing too out of the ordinary, we need to remember that whatever happens tomorrow isn’t going to define our season. There’s still a lot of football to be played and a lot can happen.

That was all the press were going to get, other questions were thrown my way but I wasn’t prepared to give any more away. There was a tonne of nervous energy working away at me – actually, not so much nerves as, I don’t know, anticipation? I couldn’t sit still, I was always on the move and having to find something to occupy myself.

On the Friday afternoon before the boys went home I gathered them all together to firstly name the team in an attempt to try and keep them relatively calm for what lay ahead and not have anyone undergoing big doubts about whether or not they’d be selected, and also just for a quick word.

‘Listen boys, we haven’t explicitly touched on it but we all know what might lie ahead tomorrow.’ I began, scanning their faces, each one of which was looking at me. ‘You’ve been unbelievable so far this season and whatever happens tomorrow, that’s still going to be the case. I’m certain we’ll be fine, pick up the win and get ourselves over the line against Killie but, if for whatever reason we don’t, it’s not the end of the world. We’ve got into such a position that we’ve given ourselves four bites at this particular cherry. If not tomorrow, then we’ll go and do it in Celtic’s back yard. And if we don’t do it then, we’ll go and do it at Tannadice. Don’t feel under any pressure. Sure, they’ll be expectation floating about and the fans will want us to do it in front of them, but the most important thing is to enjoy it. Play with freedom like you usually do, if we win the savour the atmosphere, drink it all in. It doesn’t happen often and it may not happen again.’

A pause for a moment before resuming.

‘I’m so proud of what we’ve done so far and I’m sure come 5pm tomorrow I’m going to be even prouder. Go home, get some good rest tonight and get your heads right for what lies ahead tomorrow.’

Off they traipsed and I wasn’t too far behind them. An early finish and home, back to Edinburgh for a relaxed evening of a takeaway, a war film and a couple of beers before heading to bed at around 10pm and slipping into a deep, undisturbed nine-hour sleep.

Saturday 24th April 2021: Glasgow Rangers v Kilmarnock (SPL Championship Group)

Venue: Ibrox

Att: 49,550

Managerial Record v Kilmarnock: P 7 W 5 D 1 L 1 F 18 A 4

My little experimentation with one up front in the second half against Motherwell proved to be well-timed. On Friday morning Alfie Morelos had limped out of training with a slight niggle in his calf and although he could have played, I chose to keep him on the bench and only use him in extremis if we needed a goal. Also dropping to the bench was Lovro Majer, who I had replaced with Scott Arfield largely in part due to the Canadian’s industry which I felt was needed whilst Nathan Young-Coombes was rewarded for his goal the week before with a return to his role as a shadow striker behind Troy Parrott. He was the one who would get up to make a two alongside the Irishman whenever he was able to.

Elsewhere, James Tavernier returned from suspension but took his place on the bench, Ross McCrorie keeping his place at right-back after his goal against Motherwell. Connor Goldson was still out so George Edmundson continued and Aaron Hickey’s continuing absence saw Reza Durmisi continue at left-back.

Before the game I told the boys to make sure their focus was on the game, not on what might come afterwards but only on the 90 minutes ahead. We couldn’t allow ourselves to become distracted.

The start to the match was excellent, our passing was crisp and confidence seemed to be high. I thought there might be some tension amongst the boys, there was none to be seen. On four minutes Ross McCrorie found some space down the right-hand side, found by a neat pass from Ryan Jack. His cross into the far post was perfectly delivered, just out of the reach of Antonio Santurro and there was Ryan Kent to nod home from no more than 2-yards out. 1-0, an early lead and just what the doctor had ordered!

Except.

There on the far side was the assistant with flag raised and motioning that Kent had been offside when McCrorie had sent his cross in. He was right, Kent had strayed marginally and the goal was chalked off. As it happened, on the replays seen later on it showed that he had also slapped the ball in with his palm so in actual fact, the offside flag had denied him the silliest of yellow cards as well.

Ten minutes later and some lovely one-touch build up saw Arfield with the ball in centre-field, his ball in behind the Killie defence for Kent was magnificent and the winger really should have hit the target with his effort. There was nothing wrong with the power, but the accuracy was sorely lacking and the ball went wide of the far post for a goal kick.

Just as the clocked ticked past the 16th minute mark, Helander stepped across to make a robust but well-timed challenge on Kiltie inside our own penalty area and he thumped it forward. Stuart Findlay really should have dealt with the ball under no pressure but for some reason he dallied and was caught in possession by Parrott who then set off into the Killie penalty area. He found the angle against him a little and his low driven effort beat the far post by some distance in the end.

From the goal kick good pressing by Jacko saw Ian Maatsen give the ball away sloppily to Young-Coombes who set off and then sent a ball forward which just eluded Parrott but which saw Kent nip in at full tilt in front of Bruno Pereirinha, who was caught ball watching, take the ball down and then fire it low beyond the exposed Santurro into the bottom corner of the net to break the deadlock. The place erupted, chants of ‘Championés’ rang out around the place and the hairs on my neck stood up. We were a step closer to that hallowed, holy grail.

10 minutes later Durmisi received the ball back from Aribo after a throw-in and returned it to the midfielder. As he surged into the penalty area a challenge from Fraser Preston missed the ball, caught Aribo and as he went down the referee, who was well placed, pointed to the spot. Absolutely no complaints from any of the visiting side, they couldn’t have. Indeed, the decision was almost met with resignation amongst their number.

With no Tavernier or Morelos in the side, Scott Arfield took responsibility. Composing himself, making sure his socks were just so, he stepped up. Santurro went the right way by no save was required as Arfield’s effort had badly missed the target, ending up maybe a yard wide of the goalkeeper’s right hand upright. We’d had one or two pretty poor penalties taken during the campaign and this was arguably the worst of the lot. A chance to take a stranglehold on the contest had gone begging.

The miss seemed to sap us of some of our confidence. Where, in that opening period, we’d been bright and busy, carrying danger and threat every time we attacked, where players had been taking risks and gambling, that stopped. The tempo dropped and although Kilmarnock offered little to no threat themselves, anything we were sending towards goal was coming from too far out to cause Santurro any undue concern.

HALF TIME: Glasgow Rangers 1-0 Kilmarnock

Once the boys were settled into their seats I kept what I had to say brief and to the point. ‘You’re not going to hear me say this very often, boys, so listen carefully. Today, and today only, bugger the performance. You’re halfway there so do whatever you need to do to see the damn thing out this afternoon and seal the title.  First half an hour or so you were excellent, last quarter of an hour you weren’t. I don’t really care, you’re ahead, we need to get over the line and then we can enjoy the last three matches. So, let’s get it done, yes?’

I don’t think that was quite what they were expecting, but it seemed to go down pretty well, I could see them relax a little and the little hum of chatter was just what I’d been hoping to hear once I’d said my piece. They knew what was required, I had empowered them to find it. I trusted them to find it. They wouldn’t let me down, I was absolutely sure of it.

Early on after the break Kent, of all people, broke up a promising Killie move just inside our penalty area and Aribo looked up to play Parrott through. The young striker, relishing playing as a lone centre-forward, took the ball on into the penalty area and was only denied by Santurro, the Kilmarnock goalkeeper reading the striker’s intentions and making a fine save. From the corner kick by Kent, Parrott drifted off his marker to glance a header towards goal. It lacked a little in both power and direction, though, and Santurro caught it with comfort.

Although we only had the single goal lead, my half-time words seemed to have liberated the boys and they were enjoying themselves. Just past the hour mark Ryan Kent received the ball on the edge of the penalty area, turned and then went on a mazy dribble beyond three challenges inside the penalty area. Unfortunately he couldn’t quite open his body and shot into the side netting.

We were playing with the verve and swagger usually associated with a side that was three or four goals to the good, it was great to watch and the supporters were loving every second. Kilmarnock couldn’t lay a glove on us and although I knew in the back of my mind that all it would take was a single goal out of nowhere to peg us back, it really didn’t feel as though it was going to happen.

With 17 minutes remaining, Lovro Majer, on for Arfield, drifted in a corner kick which was headed back across goal by Aribo. There was Kent once again to knock the ball over the line from close range and score his second of the afternoon. At least, that’s what he thought. The assistant’s flag once again cut short his celebrations and the goal was chalked off.

Undeterred, we continued on our merry way passing the ball with impunity. Another Majer corner, with just over 5 minutes remaining, caused consternation in the Kilmarnock penalty area. It was met by Parrott but in stretching to get his head to the ball could only direct it over the top.

As the game drifted into time added on, the crowd were in complete party mode, The subs were all up on their feet when Majer sent a ball through that Parrott just managed to meet before Santurro did, he fired a shot beyond the goalkeeper and agonisingly the wrong side of the post. Had that gone in the place would have absolutely erupted and saluted the league title.

As it was they only had a minute or two longer to wait before the final whistle sounded and brought to an end what had been one of our most complete performances of the campaign, even though the scoreline had suggested that we’d been in a real battle and struggle. As the referee brought his whistle to his lips to signal full-time, Ibrox went absolutely mental. All of the players and coaching staff on the bench ran onto the field, there were wild embraces everywhere.

The first thing I did, aside from a clench of my fists was to go and find Angelo Alessio, my opposite number and shake his hand.

‘Many congratulations, Jones,’ he said in his heavily accented English, stretching my name across into a second syllable and enveloping me in a warm embrace. ‘Your team is magnificent and this title is fully deserved. Enjoy this time.’ This, coming from a guy who had known success as number 2 to Antonio Conte at Juventus, Italy and Chelsea before finding his own way as a number 1 with Kilmarnock, was really a lovely moment.

‘Thank you, Alessio, I really appreciate that. Good luck for your final few games.’ We shook hands and he departed off down the tunnel. Turning around to face the main stand I saw Dave King and the board of directors all up on their feet applauding. I raised my fists in triumph towards them, and King in particular, as they applauded. He’d gone through so much rebuilding the club after their insolvency. It had been a battle, initially, to get back into the SPL and then to knock Celtic off their perch. But we’d done it, he’d done it and was unable to hide his delight and emotions.

Walking onto the pitch, I shook hands with the match officials, each of whom congratulated me warmly, which was another nice touch. Then, I was almost bundled from all directions by jubilant players. Once I’d managed to emerge, I wanted to hunt each and every one of them down and give them a hug, those players who hadn’t been involved and sat in the stand came down to enjoy the atmosphere on the pitch – I don’t know if a single supporter had left the ground. One by one I congratulated the boys, each one in turn, before collecting them together for a mini huddle before we embarked on a lap of honour.

‘Listen boys, that’s outstanding. All season you’ve been brilliant, I couldn’t be prouder. One final challenge now, finish the season unbeaten. Let’s go to Celtic next week and show they why we’re champions and they’re not. Let’s beat Dundee United, let’s beat Hearts and let’s put ourselves in the record books as one of the finest sides ever seen in Scotland. Enjoy today, have a wander around the pitch, show the supporters your appreciation and let them show you theirs. Take this in, it may not happen again. Drink it in and let it whet your appetites for more.’

We gave the supporters our thanks, in full knowledge we’d be doing the same thing three weeks later when we would parade the trophy around the pitch following our game with Hearts. Just walking off down the tunnel didn’t feel like the right thing to do, though, on this occasion.

Before I knew it I was back in front of the gaze of the press to talk about our achievements.

Kyle Connell: You were one of the favourites for this competition, so you triumph perhaps isn’t that big a surprise. With the strength of your squad, was it a foregone conclusion that you’d win the title?

Haha, are you joking, Kyle? I think we were very much second favourites behind Celtic at the start of the season. Indeed, I seem to remember most of you folk and those you count as colleagues very much writing us off before we’d kicked a ball. We’ve managed to exceed your expectations and, if I’m honest, our own expectations. I thought this season, after the boys went so close last year, that we’d maybe need one more year to challenge and look to build in order to overtake Celtic next season. But, we’ve managed to do it this season and that’s a brilliant feeling.

James Boyle: Congratulation, Jones, on your title win. How does this moment feel?

I’m absolutely delighted. When I took my first steps in management less than two years ago, I really hoped that one day I’d experience this feeling. It’s taken rather less time than I expected and the feeling is even better than I’d ever dreamt. Everyone has worked immensely hard to bring home the title and we’ve done it.

Billy Young: Just how proud are you to add the SPL title to the Rangers trophy cabinet?

Proud, yes, I’m immensely proud of our achievement. There’s been a gaping hole in the trophy cabinet for the past decade and to have finally filled it again is just a brilliant feeling. This is a special day for the club, especially those that stuck with the club during those dark days a decade ago when the club went out of business.

BY: The title race became something of a foregone conclusion with you team leading the chasing pack by some distance. How difficult was it keeping your squad focused?

It wasn’t difficult at all. I’m lucky to have a group of players that are driven and motivated. They want to be successful, they drive each-other on and that only makes my life easier.

KC: After sealing the league title the board are likely to be demanding even more. Won’t this pile extra pressure on your shoulders as manager?

There’s always pressure at a club like Rangers where success is part of the fabric of the club. If you don’t win titles and trophies then you’re seen to have failed. I was aware of that when I joined the club and I’m just as aware of it now. Is it pressure? Only if you let it become so. I thrive under that expectation, so do the players as we’ve shown so far this season.

Kara Warwick: Today is obviously a great moment for Rangers. Looking forward can you build on this success and challenge for more trophies in the future?

I don’t see why not. We have the Scottish Cup final in a few weeks which gives us the opportunity of winning the domestic treble. After that focus switches to next season where you can rest assured that we will be looking to be as successful as we have been this term. I’m determined not to let this be a one season wonder.

JB: How much of an impact did your team talk at the break have on getting this result to secure the title?

To be honest, I thought this was one of our most complete performances of the season. I felt we began well but after the penalty we lost our way a little. All I said at half-time was to focus on getting the result, getting over the line and not to worry about the performance as much as we normally do. It seemed to work, the boys relaxed and were outstanding after the break.

BY: This was labelled as a huge match for Rangers and you certainly lived up to you pre-match billing. You must be delighted with the result?

I’m always delighted to win football matches. Today was no different. The fact that there was something else at the end of today’s match only served to heighten that pleasure.

JB: Finally, Jones, Kilmarnock failed to register a shot on goal today. Is that a reflection of your dominance today?

I noticed when I said that I thought this was one of our most complete performances some eyebrows raise in the room. But this is what I meant. Kilmarnock aren’t without considerable threat and the fact that we denied them a shot on target today was really pleasing. From back to front we were very good today and it was very pleasing to witness.

Thanks everyone for today.

And with that I picked up my phone, left the table and switched my phone on. It didn’t stop vibrating for about 10 minutes as messages kept on coming through. From David Moyes, from Ann Budge, from Pat Nevin, from Borna Barisic, from Nikola Katic, from Neil Lennon… they just kept on coming and it took me a good three hours and countless bottles of beer that evening to personally acknowledge each and every one of them.

I’d woken up a title hopeful and gone to bed a title winner.

Jones Patterson, league champion. That was the sweetest of thoughts to drift off to sleep to.

FULL TIME: Glasgow Rangers 1-0 Kilmarnock

Team: Rob.McCrorie, Ross.McCrorie (Tavernier), Helander, Edmundson, Durmisi, Jack (Kamara), Aribo, Young-Coombes, Arfield (Majer), Kent, Parrott

Table as at Saturday 24th April 2021:

P

W

D

L

F

A

Pts

GD

Glasgow Rangers

C

Glasgow Celtic

Heart of Midlothian

Kilmarnock

Motherwell

Dundee United

Aberdeen

Hibernian

St Johnstone

Livingston

St Mirren

Saturday 24th April

Celtic

Dundee Utd

Hearts

Motherwell

Rangers

Kilmarnock

Hibs

Inverness

Livingston

Aberdeen

St Mirren

St Johnstone

Saturday 1st May 2021: Glasgow Celtic v Glasgow Rangers (SPL)

Venue: Parkhead

Att: 60,411

Managerial Record v Glasgow Celtic: P 7 W 1 D 5 L 1 F 10 A 12

Managerial Record at Parkhead: P 3 W 0 D 2 L 1 F 2 A 6

I’d challenged the boys to finish the season undefeated and ideally with 9 points out of 9 to really stamp our mark on the season. We were a point of 100 points and only four goals away from 100 goals, I felt that we’d hit both of those milestones. Although there was a temptation for this visit to Parkhead to been seen as a dead rubber, the knowledge that we were playing Celtic at Parkhead, the one remaining SPL ground that I’d yet to taste victory, was motivation enough for us to look to carry on our season in a blaze of glory.

I knew the home fans would be absolutely baying for our blood and I knew that Neil Lennon would be seeking his side to put in a performance, to show that they are better than the league table might be suggesting. We had to be up to the challenge and make sure we met their fire with at the very least, equal amounts of venom.

Whilst Connor Goldson returned to the side along with James Tavernier, there was a change in midfield where Joe Aribo missed out due to suspension, so Glen Kamara returned to partner Ryan Jack. Lovro Majer also returned in place of Scott Arfield whilst Alfie Morelos was fit enough to return to join Troy Parrott up front, Nathan Young-Coombes was the unfortunate one to miss out.

Boy oh boy were the home side fired up for the occasion.

We forced an early corner that came to nothing and within the blink of an eye the ball bad been switched for Callum McGregor. He teased his man before shuffling the ball onto his left foot and unleashing a strike that had Robby McCrorie diving to his right at full stretch to turn the ball around the post. A fine save.

That did little to dampen the home fans appetite.

In the 4th minute a Griffiths corner found the head of Jozo Simunovic at the far post and he was just unable to keep his header down. Every time we got the ball we were swarmed by green & white shirts meaning that we were having to rush in possession and all too often misplace passes. Even when we did get into the final third our final ball was woefully lacking and we totally failed to test the home side’s young debutant goalkeeper Ross Doohan.

It wasn’t a great surprise when Vlad Chiriches stepped in to intercept a Jacko ball forward looking for Morelos and find Riqui Puig in midfield for the hosts. A simple pass to McGregor and knowing that Griffiths would be on his bike the winger sent a raking ball over the head of Filip Helander which Griffiths was onto in a flash. Neatly nutmegging the backtracking Goldson, Griffiths worked the ball onto his ‘weaker’ right foot and fairly lashed the ball from 20-yards right into the top corner of the net. It was a magnificent strike from a magnificent player, McCrorie simply looked on in mild admiration. It was his 30th league goal of the season. By comparison, our leading league scorer, Morelos, had 18.

A couple of minutes after falling behind, the hosts ought to have made it 2-0. Once again McGregor was involved, carrying the ball forward and then playing it in for Greg Taylor on the underlap. The left-back cut the ball back for Leo Mazis to strike at goal but didn’t catch it as he’d have liked and McCrorie saved well.

We were so vulnerable to the counter-attack it was untrue, we simply didn’t have an answer to Celtic’s razor-sharp and incisive breaks. From one of our own corners, again, a green shirted head met the ball and cleared, Puig picked it up and spotting the run of Ivan Cavaleiro sent the ball forward for the Portuguese winger to latch onto and streak clear. In previous meetings he’d proven wasteful in front of goal, not on this occasion though as he carefully drew McCrorie and slipped the ball past him into the back of the net to double the home side’s lead with just a quarter of the match played.

We were chasing shadows, every single 50/50 challenge was being won by a green shirt, every single header was being won by a green shirt, we were way off the pace. And McGregor was completely dictating things. For his next trick he sent Mazis scampering through as once again our two centre-halves found themselves completely split by a ball over the top. McCrorie again stood up well and made a fine save – his third in the opening half-hour – as the home side continued to threaten to run riot.

From the corner, once again delivered by Griffiths, Simunovic met it once again and this time planted his header narrowly wide of the far post.

The first-half went into its final fifteen minutes and Tavernier finally found some space down the right flank. He delivered a low cross into the penalty area where it was met first time by Morelos, Doohan tested for the first time made a superb sharp stop low down to his left to turn the Colombian’s effort around the post. He’d have been enjoying his first taste of first-team football, never mind Old Firm football and with that stop had firmly justified Neil Lennon’s faith to select him over first-choice Marko Malenica in the net.

I had hoped that moment might see us gain in confidence and assert ourselves on proceedings and to be fair, we did manage to up our game a little to ensure we got into the break with no additional damage caused. As the boys traipsed in to gleeful jibes from the home crowd, heads were down and recriminations were flying around.

HALF TIME: Glasgow Celtic 2-0 Glasgow Rangers

‘I bigged you lot up last week, told the world how brilliant you’d been to work with. I laid down the gauntlet and challenged you to go the season unbeaten and to come here and put on a performance worthy of champions,’ I began raising my voice to an unusual roar. ‘What have you given me? What have you given those supporters? A load of embarrassing tosh! You’re chasing shadows, boys, and not getting close even to them, never mind to actual bodies. You’re letting McGregor completely dictate, you’re wide open defensively and woeful in possession! If it wasn’t for this bloke sat here,’ I pointed at Robby McCrorie, ‘they’d be 5-up and deservedly so! What have we had, five of you booked in that first half, simply because they’re in a different time-zone to you lot! Right now, I don’t give a toss what the score ends up as, I don’t give a toss if we lose because we thoroughly deserve to. What I do give a toss about is you lot showing a little bit of pride. Just because you’ve been crowned champions doesn’t give you the right to strut around arrogantly thinking you don’t have to put the effort in. You do, boys, you really do. If anything you have to top the effort you’ve put in so far this season and prove to everyone why you’re title winners. That first-half was unacceptable. If you’re not sat here feeling ashamed of your efforts in that forty-five then you shouldn’t be sat here at all.’

With that I opened the door, left the room and slammed it behind me, leaving Gary Mac and Nino to pick up the pieces. It was largely theatrical, I’d planned it with Gary before we’d headed down the tunnel. The sentiments were actually how I was feeling, the flouncing out was done for effect.

It didn’t work. Although we were better after the break, it wasn’t much better. Simunovic continued his one-man battering of us in the air from set-pieces when he got up to meet a free kick from Cavaleiro and look on in despair as his header clipped the top of the bar on its way over the top.

With an hour gone another Cavaleiro cross this time found McGregor at the far post. The winger looped a header over McCrorie and was desperately unfortunate to see it hit the top of the crossbar as well before dropping just behind for a goal kick.

From that goal kick our entire performance was summed up. As we always did McCrorie played it to one of his centre-halves to build from the back. On this occasion it was Helander. He took one touch and then a second without releasing the ball. Before he’d had a chance to take a third, Griffiths had nipped in, robbed him and fired the ball low into the unguarded net to make it 3-0 and completely kill of any lingering remaining hopes we might have had.

McCrorie denied Griffiths his hat-trick when Greg Taylor’s ball over the top found him once again in behind Helander and Goldson. The striker looked to place the ball beyond the goalkeeper who, once again, made himself big and managed the block the effort behind for a corner kick.

That was with 13 minutes remaining. Four minutes after that Doohan showed his inexperience when he came out of his penalty area to clear with a ball forward that Simunovic had totally under control. The two collided and the ball broke for Parrott. A deft first touch took him behind the two stricken Celtic men then, somehow, with the goal completely unguarded and open the striker managed to fire wide of the gaping target. All he needed to do was to tap it in and maybe, just maybe, there might have been something to play for the final ten minutes or so. It was a shocking miss and completely in keeping with the rest of our performance.

Clearly thinking they’d inflicted enough humiliation on us, Celtic toyed with us for the remainder of the game and after the final whistle sounded to bring an end to our punishment as well as an unbeaten run in all competitions that stretched back to our defeat at Hoffenheim 42 matches – and almost 9 months previously. All good things had to come to an end, of course, but not in that manner.

‘Well done, Lenno, you gave us a real lesson today, pal.’ I said to him after the whistle.

‘Thanks, Jones, I won’t lie, we wanted to put you back in your box today!’ He replied with a grin.

‘Mission accomplished, then. A chastening experience that was.’

Grim faced the players drifted off the pitch deep in their own thoughts awaiting the barrage that was to be unleashed in their direction back in the dressing room. It wasn’t a pretty sight.

FULL TIME: Glasgow Celtic 3-0 Glasgow Rangers

Team: Rob.McCrorie, Tavernier, Helander, Goldson, Durmisi, Jack, Kamara (Ross.McCrorie), Majer, Kent (Jones) (Young-Coombes), Morelos, Parrott

Table as at Saturday 1st May 2021:

P

W

D

L

F

A

Pts

GD

Glasgow Rangers

C

Glasgow Celtic

Heart of Midlothian

Kilmarnock

Motherwell

Dundee United

Aberdeen

St Johnstone

Hibernian

Livingston

St Mirren

R

Saturday 1st May

Celtic

Rangers

Hearts

Dundee Utd

Motherwell

Kilmarnock

Aberdeen

St Mirren

Livingston

Hibs

St Johnstone

Inverness

Saturday 8th May 2021: Dundee United v Glasgow Rangers (SPL Championship Group)

Venue: Tannadice

Att: 9,701

Managerial Record v Dundee Utd: P 4 W 4 D 0 L 0 F 10 A 1

It had been a long time since I’d woken up on a Sunday morning smarting from a defeat. Even though we’d sewn the title up it hurt. Not so much the defeat or even the scoreline so much as the abject manner of our thrashing. We’d been made to look like rank amateurs and that’s what hurt. The boys looked tired, which was understandable, and disinterested, which absolutely wasn’t.

We had the opportunity to bounce back against Dundee United who, having done brilliantly to reach the top-6 shoot-out were struggling a little. One win in their previous seven matches and three straight defeats had seen them get overtaken in terms of points, if not the actual standings, by a resurgent Aberdeen side. Whatever lay ahead in their final couple of matches, it had been a thoroughly decent first campaign back at this level for Robbie Neilson’s side and something for them to build upon for the following year if they could keep hold of key men.

As much as I was tempted to make 11 changes after the debacle at Parkhead I largely gave the same side the opportunity to rehabilitate themselves in my eyes. One blow was the loss for the rest of the season of Joe Aribo who had broken a metatarsal in training. So Glen Kamara continued in midfield with Jacko whilst up front Rhian Brewster, back to full fitness, returned up front for Troy Parrott who dropped to the bench.

The boys firmly knew what my expectations were, a repeat of the silliness against Celtic would not be tolerated in any way, shape or form.

There were less than three minutes on the clock when Durmisi’s corner towards Brewster at the far post was headed clear to the edge of the box and picked up by Jacko. He returned the ball out to the right-hand side for Durmisi. The Dane, with plenty of time to size up his ball into the box, swung it in again to the far post where arriving on cue was Ryan Kent to thump his header, unmarked, beyond Benjamin Siegrist and into the back of the net.

An early goal to blow away the cobwebs and we were up and running!

Durmisi was already enjoying himself and shortly after supplying the first goal he very nearly supplied a second when he once again found space, this time from a Brewster pass infield, drifted into the penalty area and sent a cross to the far post where Morelos rose above his marker to meet it with a powerful header but one that he was just unable to keep underneath the crossbar. It went over the top and the home side survived.

They grew into the game as time went on and began to compete rather more than they had in the opening ten minutes or so. In the 25th minute, Tavernier cut out a ball forward and found Majer with a good ball. Looking up the Croatian virtuoso split the Dundee United defence allowing Brewster to break clear. A desperate attempt at an interception at full stretch by Josh Grant merely succeeded in pushing the ball into the striker’s path. He took it on, knocked it past Siegrist, hurdled the goalkeeper and then slammed the ball home from about 3-yards out to double the lead.

We were beginning to look a little bit irresistible again, like we had in the second half against Kilmarnock, only with an end product this time.

Two minutes after the goal a lovely move that saw Majer drop a little deeper than usual to collect possession saw him play the ball out to the left flank where it was collected by Kent. Instead of cutting inside this time he went around the outside and sent a low cross into the near post where it was met first time on the run by Brewster. The confidence in the youngster’s finish was quite something as he struck a superb left footed strike that flew into the top corner at the near post leaving Siegrist with absolutely no chance at all.

3-0 up inside half an hour and some of the football had been mesmerising. The boys were back on it and it was a joy to watch.

Ten minutes later and Ryan Kent nipped in to win the ball off Kamil Drygas inside the centre circle and set off through a gaping chasm in the home back-four at pace. Siegrist came out to narrow the angle and as Kent tried to beat him made a fine save, firmly pushing the ball over the crossbar for a corner kick and to prevent us turning a handsome lead into a beautiful one prior to the break.

HALF TIME: Dundee United 0-3 Glasgow Rangers

The strange thing at the break was that by looking at the statistics, the game was even. In actual fact, in that first period the hosts had registered more shots on target and shaded possession. The problem was that those efforts had come from distance and required extremely comfortable saves from Robby McCrorie whilst we had sliced Dundee United open time and time again, scoring three times and forcing a fine save from Siegrist.

There was little for me to say except express my pleasure at what I’d witnessed so far and to urge the lads to keep it going after the break.

So, they did. To begin with, at least. Only five minutes of the second half had elapsed when Durmisi sent over another teasing cross towards the far post where it was met by the head of one of the most unlikely far post headerers of the ball, Lovro Majer. His header was perfectly guided into the top corner of the net beyond the hopelessly exposed Siegrist and three had become four. The Croatian was cock-a-hoop not only at scoring an unlikely header but also netting his first league goal for the club to go with his Scottish Cup strike against Aberdeen. That was also our 100th league goal of the campaign.

Only two minutes later and after McCrorie had safely gathered a header from Jonathan Afolabi the ball was worked patiently forward to Kamara who went on a surging run over halfway. He exchanged passes with Tavernier and the full-back did well to cut it back to Mayer. Into the penalty area, teasing his marker he went before nudging the ball into the path of Morelos who kind of stabbed a toe-poked effort towards goal. Siegrist was slow getting down to it and rather than making a fairly regulation save could only help the ball just inside his left-hand post. Morelos had his goal, we had a nap hand and were having all sorts of fun.

I felt that we’d marked out that Celtic match as a blip and reinforced our position as deserving champions. Perhaps understandably our foot came off the gas a little and excellent build-up saw Shankland exchange a 1-2 with Afolabi and was denied only by a fine save from McCrorie, who was continuing his own personal excellent form from the previous week.

A couple of minutes after that little reminder the ball was worked forward for substitute Young-Coombes and he swung the ball neatly out wide for Ryan Kent. Selling his marker a dummy and neatly sending the ball into Parrott, who had replaced Brewster at half-time, at the near post, the Irishman squared it for Young-Coombes who was denied only by a magnificent block from Jonny Hayes.

Jeremie Frimpong went close with a free kick that almost caught out McCrorie and had the goalkeeper scampering across to smother off the goal-line before from another free kick, he delivered to the far post where Josh Grant was left unmarked to head home and reduced the arrears. There was still half-an-hour to go so there was plenty of scope for more goals to appear.

Chances continued to flow at either end, James Tavernier from fully 35-yards produced a superb save from Siegrist as he fired a free kick arrowing towards the top corner, the Swiss keeper doing brilliantly to push the ball away and behind. Then, Durmisi picked up the ball deep and ran unchallenged 20 or so yards towards goal before shooting and finding the midriff of Siegrist who dropped to his knees and held on well.

Pay switched to the other end and our increasingly ragged back-four were split once again when Shankland got in behind. His low strike was directed just inside the post and so McCrorie was once again required to get down at full stretch and with a firm hand paw the ball away from the bottom corner, Durmisi then completing the clearance.

Into the final 15 minutes we went and a Tavernier free kick found Parrott who headed the ball down to the edge of the box where, after bouncing up was met by a magnificent left footed strike from Filip Helander who unleashed just as he swivelled. This time Siegrist was clutching at thin-air as the strike beat him all ends up and hit the top of the bar as it went narrowly over the top.

Dundee United, considering they had conceded five, continued to play football and break dangerously. With just half a dozen minutes remaining Chris Mochrie played another 1-2 with Shankland and found himself outpacing Helander. Inside the penalty area and as Shankland had done previously sent an effort towards the bottom corner of the net. Once again McCrorie showed why he was firmly Scotland’s number 1, diving to his left and with that strong left hand, pushing the ball around the post.

A breathless contest was brought to an end with both sides receiving a fully deserved ovation as they left the pitch. 5-1 had been tough on the hosts but at times we had been simply different class, particularly in front of goal and it was that which had given the scoresheet such a glossy finish. Normal service resumed, the boys were able to look forward to a richly deserved couple of days off before we returned to Ibrox for the denouement of the league season and the coronation of Glasgow Rangers Football Club as Scottish Premier League Champions 2020/1.

FULL TIME: Dundee United 1-5 Glasgow Rangers

Team: Rob.McCrorie, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Durmisi, Jack, Kamara, Majer (Young-Coombes), Kent, Morelos, Brewster (Parrott)

Table as at Saturday 8th May 2021:

P

W

D

L

F

A

Pts

GD

Glasgow Rangers

C

Glasgow Celtic

Heart of Midlothian

Kilmarnock

Motherwell

Dundee United

Aberdeen

Hibernian

St Johnstone

Livingston

St Mirren

R

Saturday 8th May

Celtic

Motherwell

Dundee Utd

Rangers

Kilmarnock

Hearts

Inverness

Aberdeen

St Johnstone

Hibs

St Mirren

Livingston

Sunday 16th May 2021: Glasgow Rangers v Heart of Midlothian (SPL Championship Group)

Venue: Ibrox

Att: 50,817

Managerial Record v Heart of Midlothian: P 3 W 3 D 0 L 0 F 7 A 1

I was delighted to host my old club as the league season drew to its conclusion and celebrate with some familiar old favourites. There was a real carnival atmosphere about the place both in the week leading up to the game and on the day itself too. A number of old faces of the past who had previously won titles with the club were in attendance for a bit of a title-day reminiscence and a parade. In addition, Hearts kindly offered a guard of honour as we came out onto the pitch. That was a classy touch from David Moyes.

‘Don’t be expecting us to do that on Saturday, Jones.’ He joked.

‘Not until after the final whistle, anyway.’ I retorted before offering my heartfelt thanks. When doing the team-sheets, we made sure the officials were aware and that they were happy with what we’d planned.

When we walked out onto the pitch, myself behind the players who deserved all of the acclaim, it was really nice to shake hands with guys like Johnny Souttar, Craig Halkett, Glenn Whelan, Peter Haring, Sean Clare, Conor Washington & Jamie Walker. Players who had been such a key part in my inaugural year in management and done so much to get me to a point where Rangers thought I was worth a punt. Obviously, as soon as the game began sentiment would go firmly out of the window, I wanted to win the game and give this party atmosphere the glorious ending it deserved.

I’d told the boys to enjoy the occasion, to keep the shackles that they’d lost against Dundee United firmly off and to put on a bit of a show for the full house that had turned out to enjoy the celebration. There wouldn’t be an anti-climax quite like coming away with a 2-0 home defeat and then having to try and lift ourselves for the presentation of the trophy and medals afterwards.

Connor Goldson joined Joe Aribo on the physio’s couch whilst Ryan Jack was injured. That opened up spaces for George Edmundson and Cole McKinnon to come into the side. Aaron Hickey returned to the bench as well ahead of the meeting with his ex-team mates as well.

The opening stages were a little disjointed, both sides trying to play at 100mph and no-one putting their foot on the ball until Cole McKinnon took the sting out of things and knocked the ball back to Robby McCrorie. That allowed us to build patiently from the back, from left-to-right and Kamara, receiving the ball from Durmisi, knocked it out to Tavernier on the right-hand side approaching the midway point of the Hearts half. He kept going until he was a couple of yards from the by-line and sent in a cross behind the Hearts back four which was met at the far post by Kent. His cushioned volley was superbly blocked by Daniel in the visiting goal but as the ball rebounded back off his body there was the winger lunging in to turn the ball over the line and give us the early advantage, just as he’d done the week before.

It was his 20th goal of the season and saw him become the third player to break that barrier, quite an effort from wide on the left.

Two minutes later and Tavernier once again hit the target with a free kick from distance. I think the kids describe them as knuckle-balls, either way he made the ball move this way and then that leaving Daniel only able to pat the ball down in front of him. Before he could claim it at the second attempt, Rhian Brewster had pounced and turned the loose ball home. As he went off to celebrate the sight right in front of him of the assistant raising his flag for offside cut him short. Offside, just, but enough, and we didn’t find ourselves two goals to the good but just the one still.

Never mind, 8 minutes further on and Helander found Tavernier, who swung an early ball across towards the edge of the box where Ryan Kent got up well to head the ball on for Brewster. Still feeling sore, the striker lashed the ball towards goal but against the feet of Matt Connolly, it rebounded for Kamara who picked it up on the edge of the box, advanced into space and from near the penalty spot confidently tucked the ball away, low beyond Daniel and into the back of the net tot legitimately put us two goals ahead.

That swagger and impudence was very much once again in evidence as we continued to wear the mantle of champions with confidence and aplomb. Majer and Kent combined to dispossess Glenn Whelan just inside our half and the latter emerged with the ball galloping over halfway. Tariq Lamptey stopped his progress and set off on a surging run of his own only to be halted by Reza Durmisi. This time it was Brewster who set off and stretched his legs, only to give the ball away. The nonsense was ended by Sean Clare who picked out Washington with a lovely ball and as the 20-goal striker moved in on goal his driven effort beat McCrorie, but fizzed narrowly wide of the post, rippling the side netting on its way behind.

We soon regained the initiative when Kamara picked up a throw-in from Durmisi, turned and cut inside, into the penalty area. As for his goal, the black-shirted visitors were slow to close him down and he looked to measure one right footed to curl just inside the far post, like Thierry Henry used to do time and time again. His idea was superb, the execution not quite there as he didn’t manage to get enough bend on the ball and it went wide of the upright.

A couple of minutes later and McKinnon did well to come out of a challenge with Peter Haring with the ball and find Majer. The Croatian returned the favour and McKinnon sent a sumptuous pass out to the left edge of the penalty area where Kent, again managed to get up really well and head the ball on for Brewster who, in turn, did superbly to crane his neck and direct his header looping goal-ward. Daniel was at full stretch but the ball passed over him and, agonisingly just over the top of the cross bar bouncing off the roof of the net on its way behind.

With ten minutes of the first half remaining, Durmisi picked up a pass from Kent quite deep and set off on a run. Cutting infield and then going around the outside at pace he surged into the penalty area, realised no defender dare touch him and shifting the ball onto his left-foot looked to fire one across Daniel. This time the goalkeeper did very well to his left to grab the ball and hold on.

The inevitable was delayed for just five or six minutes. A clearance found only McKinnon midway inside the Hearts half. He sent a lovely ball left where Kent produced a lovely first touch. Coming inside onto his right foot he feinted to shoot and instead sent it behind him to Durmisi. The Dane got beyond Sean Clare and found Kent once again in space inside the penalty area. One touch to stop the ball and then a second to fire with his laces an absolute tracer bullet that beat Daniel all ends up and ended up in the corner of the net. Quite a way to take us into half-time.

HALF TIME: Glasgow Rangers 3-0 Heart of Midlothian

I was absolutely thrilled with our first half performance and had absolutely nothing to say apart from urging the lads to keep it up. To maintain the tempo and keep on entertaining those in the stands. Hearts were unable to live with us, we were putting them to the sword and in some style.

Half a dozen minutes after the resumption, Durmisi sent a free kick in from the left flank where it was met by the head of Helander. He directed it down and beyond the desperate dive of Daniel. 4-0, or so we thought! Once again, and for the fourth time in our previous two home league matches the assistant had his flag raised and the goal was chalked off for offside. This one was a little galling as Helander wasn’t offside, but Morelos was and he was deemed to be active, or interfering, or whatever the terminology was that week and so, no goal.

We continued to press, McKinnon proving influential. And as the game approached the hour mark he picked up his first assist. Tavernier had seen his progress baulked by Harry Cochrane and so turned the ball back for McKinnon on the edge of the penalty area. A simple pass into the path of Scott Arfield saw the substitute, on for Majer, fire a stunning daisy cutter into the bottom corner of the net past Daniel to make it 4-0.

Off the gas came the feet, content to pass the ball around and try and score some exhibition goals. In the final minute it all got too much for Peter Haring and as Brewster received the ball, a vicious rake of his studs down Brewster’s calf saw him pick up his second yellow card and the inevitable red that followed. It was a sad end to the day for the Austrian, I gave him a handshake on his way off by way of sympathy.

Moments later the final whistle went and once again, the party began. I shook hands with David Moyes and wished him well. ‘Aye, thanks Jones. We’ll see you next week and hope for rather a different outcome.’ He replied drily.

‘Different game, different competition, different venue. Today counts for nothing.’ I said.

‘I hope you’re right!’

The visiting side traipsed off as family members and those members of the squad not involved in the game came down, Dave King and the board as well, all to join in the celebrations. A hastily built stage was created with a banner for the league’s sponsors behind us. A plinth containing the trophy stood on the stage and finally, one by one the players were all invited forward to be given their medals by the head of the SPL. I went just before Connor Goldson and James Tavernier. Once Tav had received his, he looked over at the trophy, received a nod from the blazers and cautiously, looking over his shoulder approached the plinth. It felt like an absolute age before he picked it up, looked lovingly at it, kissed it and then, looking over his shoulder, raised it to the sky.

That provoked absolute bedlam upon the stage as the players began to leap around like Zebedee on angel dust, the crowd – the overwhelming majority of which had stayed – couldn’t have been happier. We are the Champions rang out over the PA, the players sang it as champagne flew across the stage and onto the pitch, static sparklers fizzed away and blue and white ticker tape appeared to shroud the scene.

I don’t think I’d felt happier. Winning the League Cup had been a wonderful feeling. This, though, was something else entirely. We’d proven ourselves the best side in the country over 38 matches and, in doing so, had dropped just 9 points, falling just a single point shy of Celtic’s total in 2016/7. As we walked around the pitch, taking in the acclaim of the fans, returning their love and admiration with as much of our own, I just remember thinking that I could easily get used to this feeling. It was infectious, I knew it wasn’t going to last forever yet I wanted to prolong it as long as I could and then, once it was over, to have more of it. My appetite for success was being prickled.

Hopefully, I reflected as I finally followed everyone else and drifted down the tunnel, I could experience more of the same just six days later when we met Hearts once again in the Scottish Cup Final.

‘Magnificent stuff today, boys.’ I said when we’d gotten back into the dressing room, the trophy resting next to Tavernier for the time being. ‘A performance worthy of league champions. Well done!’ The door opened and in came a couple of bottles of champagne carried by the chairman and two crates of bottled beers.

‘Well done, lads. Boy, well done. You’ve made me a proud man today,’ King said, tears in his eyes. ‘Enjoy tonight lads, free bar upstairs tonight so make yourselves merry and then let’s complete the set next week, eh?!’

Before he knew what was happening, Connor Goldson had shaken up a bottle of the bubbly, popped the cork and sprayed the champers around the room, giving everyone within a certain radius a thorough drenching – including said chairman as he was embracing me. ‘Brilliant, Jones. Absolutely brilliant. Well done, son.’

That meant an awful lot to me. ‘Listen, Mr Chairman, I should be thanking you for taking a gamble on me back in the summer. I really appreciate it. This,’ I motioned around the room, ‘is better than I’d ever hoped for from this season.’

‘We had faith in you from the outset,’ he replied before being interrupted by the feeling of sparkling wine dripping down his face, something which provoked him into beginning a rendition of Follow Follow which everyone soon joined in with. Quite a scene on which to close the league campaign.

FULL TIME: Glasgow Rangers 4-0 Heart of Midlothian

Team: Rob.McCrorie, Tavernier, Helander, Edmundson, Durmisi (Hickey), McKinnon, Kamara, Majer (Arfield), Kent, Brewster, Morelos (Young-Coombes)

Final Table

P

W

D

L

F

A

Pts

GD

Glasgow Rangers

C

Glasgow Celtic