Jump to content

Any ideas for how to get the most out of the season break for World Cup 2022


Recommended Posts

So World Cup 2022 has come around and I don't have any matches between November and January.

Only handful of my players are going to the World Cup (cannot believe Chiesa didn't make the squad) so I'm just trying to work out what to do with the ones who stayed back.

I have some friendlies lined up but what are people doing with this gap?

I think the choices are to ramp up training or to give the players a break?

In real life I'd probably give the players 2 weeks off and do a mid-season pre-season high intensity type training with friendlies lined up.

What are people doing to make the most of this?

EDIT: I've noticed my youth teams are still playing matches so might move a few of my younger players down. I'd imagine if I move some of my senior players down they'll complain so not going to risk it.....

Edited by Maldini's Heir
Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends what country you're in. As I was managing in England I took the opportunity to give the lads a breather, don't know how it affects the winter break in other European countries? The mini pre-season was quite handy actually as I just took over at a new club!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was Leeds manager at the time and I think I gave them a break (the ones not playing in the World Cup). Then had 2 weeks of training, followed by 3 weeks of friendlies. I played 3 friendlies, one per week leading up to our first game back which was 27th of December. It seemed to work ok as we battered Tottenham in that game.

I think the problems come during the run-in when you have two games a week for the majority of the 2nd half of the season. Luckily I wasn't in Europe but if you are it may be very difficult to keep players fully fit for every game. You're going to have to rotate and potentially prioritise certain games/competitions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

Depends what country you're in. As I was managing in England I took the opportunity to give the lads a breather, don't know how it affects the winter break in other European countries? The mini pre-season was quite handy actually as I just took over at a new club!

In Italy they have the Winter break on top so didn't get back in January.

Went with ramping up training and moving the younger players down to the youth team.

Had some pretty decent stat boosts and got to play some youth players in friendlies.

It's a really nice touch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TheInvisibleMan said:

I was Leeds manager at the time and I think I gave them a break (the ones not playing in the World Cup). Then had 2 weeks of training, followed by 3 weeks of friendlies. I played 3 friendlies, one per week leading up to our first game back which was 27th of December. It seemed to work ok as we battered Tottenham in that game.

I think the problems come during the run-in when you have two games a week for the majority of the 2nd half of the season. Luckily I wasn't in Europe but if you are it may be very difficult to keep players fully fit for every game. You're going to have to rotate and potentially prioritise certain games/competitions.

Yep it's going to be busy in the second half of the season and I've also got Champions League!

There's also talk of some World Club Cup because I made the Champions League final. I'm not sure when that's happening but I saw something pop up about me qualifying.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maldini's Heir said:

Yep it's going to be busy in the second half of the season and I've also got Champions League!

There's also talk of some World Club Cup because I made the Champions League final. I'm not sure when that's happening but I saw something pop up about me qualifying.

Yep, that'd be the Club World Cup - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Club_World_Cup

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Yep, that'd be the Club World Cup - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Club_World_Cup

I see the new format includes 24 teams and 8 from Europe!

No wonder I qualified. The world and its mother did too.

It's going to mess with records as I try to keep a record of the winners of each competition to set myself a target but with this being held every 4 years you can't really measure it against previous tournaments. 

In fairness, however way I worked it out, Milan have won the most World Club Cups with 4.

I might need to start a new record keeping for the new format.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...