Ultra close title races and other times you feel sorry for the AI

I just had this at the end of my season. 

Milan_endofseason.thumb.png.0aa61e43538cf2748dd04d8e31aceb4e.png

Both I and Juventus finished undefeated for the entire season. 

We have almost identical records for goals scored and goals conceded. Juventus just drew games where we won. I feel sorry for them. Any other year and they walk to the title. 

I wonder if other people have similar stories. Where the AI has done incredible things but you still managed to beat them. 

You feel sorry... For finishing first in a title race between the top two clubs in Italy? And disappointed that you had an exciting title challenge rather than run away with it? 

13 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I just had this at the end of my season. 

Milan_endofseason.thumb.png.0aa61e43538cf2748dd04d8e31aceb4e.png

Both I and Juventus finished undefeated for the entire season. 

We have almost identical records for goals scored and goals conceded. Juventus just drew games where we won. I feel sorry for them. Any other year and they walk to the title. 

I wonder if other people have similar stories. Where the AI has done incredible things but you still managed to beat them. 

In my FM19 save while i was in lower Belgium leagues I monitored what was happening in the 1st division and Anderlecht lost the title on the last matchday for 3 seasons in a row. 2 of those were fixtures at home that they should have won.

1 hour ago, Danielfc said:

You feel sorry... For finishing first in a title race between the top two clubs in Italy? And disappointed that you had an exciting title challenge rather than run away with it? 

Not disappointed. It was a wonderful fight. No quarter given by either side, and no room for mistakes. This is not a thread complaining, I enjoyed this season a lot. I wanted to get other people to share their stories of when they have had a super tough title race or where they have managed to beat the AI despite the AI doing wonderful things. Or the reverse. Going unbeaten but losing to the AI.

Not everything is a moaning thread on here. 

47 minutes ago, yolixeya said:

In my FM19 save while i was in lower Belgium leagues I monitored what was happening in the 1st division and Anderlecht lost the title on the last matchday for 3 seasons in a row. 2 of those were fixtures at home that they should have won.

That sucks for them. The number of times I have screwed up on the last day of a season. I have seen the AI crumble at the end of a season on occasion too.

I am IFK Gothenburg. Last game of the season, 2023 Alvenskan.

29 games, us and Hammarby are level on points, and my goal difference is +2 on them.

Final game of the season I am away to Ostersunds and they are home to.

We win 3-0 away and they only win 1-0 at home, meaning we win the league (first since 2007) on goal difference.

Pretty much a close as you can get!

Not a close title race, but I had an away match recently where the opposition had 2 players sent off and a penalty awarded against them; all dodgy decision as far as I could tell.

The kind of match where in real life you'd go straight from the pitch to your coach and get out of dodge as soon as humanly possible, and give the ref a lift and a blanket to hide underneath.

Just checked and it was an international against Colombia, so frankly the referee would be on his own and we wouldn't have helped him.

Edited by vikeologist

58 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:
That sucks for them. The number of times I have screwed up on the last day of a season. I have seen the AI crumble at the end of a season on occasion too.

been noticing this AI crumble at the end of the season quite a lot. both my first league titles in my current journeyman save was won in largely due to AI suddenly have a horrendous loss of form at the end of the season. maybe the AI needs to manage their squad better? it doesnt help when they stack so many players on the same position and have no backups on other positions.