Does club location matter?

I got a pretty simple question which I have theorized, but never been able to find an answer to; Does a clubs location matter in terms of interested players? For instance, if all other factors are equal, will a London club have an advantage compared to a club like Newcastle? This is obviously a factor in real life, but is it a thing in FM? If so, how much does it matter?

Each city has an "attraction" rating in the database. London is rated as 20/20, and Newcastle is no doubt a bit lower. How much it factors into transfers probably isn't possible to quantify, but it's not likely to be significant. 

5 hours ago, Nacaw said:

Each city has an "attraction" rating in the database. London is rated as 20/20, and Newcastle is no doubt a bit lower. How much it factors into transfers probably isn't possible to quantify, but it's not likely to be significant. 

I am not sure how this could be implemented? Surely every player is different - in RL some players would prefer to be at a city like Manchester or Newcastle as opposed to London. So there couldn't possibly be a blanket rating? 

Of course there can. Broadly speaking, London has more about it than other cities so it has a higher attraction. This is evidenced by the fact that more people live in London.

It isn't a defining feature of transfers, its a small element. 

and costs of living are not a problem for professsionel footballers ... (what could make cities like Newcastle or Bochum more attractive than London or Munich/Berlin).

2 hours ago, santy001 said:

Of course there can. Broadly speaking, London has more about it than other cities so it has a higher attraction. This is evidenced by the fact that more people live in London.

What I am saying is, it cannot. In my opinion. London does have more of an attraction to a lot of people. Newcastle offers it's own kind of attraction. Some people would prefer to be in a city like that or Liverpool rather than London. You cannot tell me, for example, that I would prefer London just because that's what the majority of people prefer. 

Throw this one in there - a player described as loyal and came through Newcastle ranks would probably prefer to stay there at his city. But what you're saying is that "he doesn't ,because London has a higher attraction rating". 

Edited by Danielfc

That's fine that you have an opinion, its just ultimately you're wrong. It is in no way a subjective, individuals guide or review of cities. Additionally, as I said, its not a defining feature. There are many aspects, and none of them are defining features. The biggest reputation club doesn't always get the player, the club offering the highest wages doesn't always get the player, and so on.

It plays a small part, and in some very rare situations depending upon player personality attributes it could weigh a bit more heavily in the decision making process. I believe there is an indication that will show on the flavour text for a transfer when this is the case. However, its such a rarity that I think I've only seen it once or twice.

8 hours ago, santy001 said:

More people don't live in London because it is more attractive to live there, it's because there are more jobs there and it is the business and financial centre of England

Follow up from this,Does location matter in terms of the ability of a team to gain fans for example?

I'm in charge of a welsh club  (Caernarfon) and we've dominated the last 3 years winning a domestic treble but yet our attendance is stagnant and we only sell ~100 season tickets which is less than a lot of teams (even some in the 2nd tier) in everything but europe where we get moved to a larger ground and often fill it (~10k, with the help of away fans taking about half e.g last game I played Inter and they brought ~5000) but yet we only fill 400/3000 regular stadium for league matches and this shows no sign of growing season to season.

2 hours ago, iBWFCMATTY said:

Follow up from this,Does location matter in terms of the ability of a team to gain fans for example?

I'm in charge of a welsh club  (Caernarfon) and we've dominated the last 3 years winning a domestic treble but yet our attendance is stagnant and we only sell ~100 season tickets which is less than a lot of teams (even some in the 2nd tier) in everything but europe where we get moved to a larger ground and often fill it (~10k, with the help of away fans taking about half e.g last game I played Inter and they brought ~5000) but yet we only fill 400/3000 regular stadium for league matches and this shows no sign of growing season to season.

Population of the city is far more important than attraction. Attraction plays a small part when player has to decide which club he's going into (but as mentioned above, club rep, LEAGUE REP are far more important than attraction). I mean, you won't sign for Dortmund just because it's not a beautiful city.

Population on the other hand is more important because it's your 'roof' in terms of gaining attendance. In big city you will gain fans faster than in small city (even if you're at the same level). Of course European cups 'trumps' average attendance so in European cups you can expect far more fans then you'd get even on local derby. 

Fellas. Listen. FM gives London a better attraction rating than Manchester or Liverpool or Newcastle. So, you may think you like these other cities better... But you don't 😂😂

Edited by Danielfc

4 hours ago, Danielfc said:

Fellas. Listen. FM gives London a better attraction rating than Manchester or Liverpool or Newcastle. So, you may think you like these other cities better... But you don't 😂😂

This is a game that quantifies everything, so not sure why this specific piece of data has upset you more than numerous other. You can rate city attractiveness objectively on many parameters, and that scale will be useful to apply to the general population. It's not good for judging individual preferences, but it's absolutely fine for FM because the players aren't individuals in this regard, they don't have specific wishes to live by the sea, in a warm weather country or those sort of things.