Squad numbers

Seems to be some really odd choices of squad numbers in the game. For example, Harry Kane signed for Manchester City in my save and took the number 13 shirt!

Anyone seen any other weird numbers?

Also, is there anything to be gained by giving a player his preferred shirt number? Jadon Sancho seems to prefer 11, yet wears 7 at Dortmund is is a right footed winger. 11 would look odd for him.

I have not noticed a difference for a player to be given or denied his shirt number. You'd have to test that with a very temperamental player: just avoid giving his shirt number to anyone (even him!) and see how he reacts. :lol: Reminds me of this video. Wenger didn't want to give the #10 to a striker to avoid comparisons with Bergkamp; therefore he gave it to Gallas, a defender.  Rui Patricio wears #11 because #1 was unavailable due to being given to a teammate who retired  due to leukaemia. Cristiano Ronaldo prefers 7 but usually play on the left-wing while Bale usually wears 11 but usually plays on the right-wing, and so on. CR7 could be a good test subject actually: he's got poor Temperament IIRC despite being very professional, driven and determined...

Hell, Cruyff's AMC in his 3-4-3 Diamond wore #6!

29d95a364b.thumb.png.04c1946d7093e6090910663c4c37dd5c.png

Edited by BMNJohn

That video explains it beautifully. I always get a calming sense of order thinking about properly numbered lineups or players. I am equally furious about the fact that my club gave number 2 to a left back for the second season in a row and number 8 to a centre back.

I guess it is hard to interpret these varying shirt numbering evolutions into the code of the game. If an English defensive midfielder (a number 4) moves to a German club, where number 6 is more associated with defensive midfielders, which squad number should the AI assign to the player? This also ignores if the numbers in question are available, if other players in the team have 4 or 6 as preferred squad numbers and the different players reputations in addition to the fact that some managers and players completely disregard numbering conventions completely as in my example above. As said, that is probably very hard to code.

On 26/04/2020 at 16:48, Vänsterback said:

That video explains it beautifully. I always get a calming sense of order thinking about properly numbered lineups or players. I am equally furious about the fact that my club gave number 2 to a left back for the second season in a row and number 8 to a centre back.

I guess it is hard to interpret these varying shirt numbering evolutions into the code of the game. If an English defensive midfielder (a number 4) moves to a German club, where number 6 is more associated with defensive midfielders, which squad number should the AI assign to the player? This also ignores if the numbers in question are available, if other players in the team have 4 or 6 as preferred squad numbers and the different players reputations in addition to the fact that some managers and players completely disregard numbering conventions completely as in my example above. As said, that is probably very hard to code.

And you would have to code the numbers depending of the formation the AI uses as well. I think it's a good thing only human managers and fans care about squad numbers, and that AI managers ignore it. :lol:

I don't really care about the numbers and the only time someone hasn't complained was I think when I tried to sign Kante or someone else. He was 34 and worth barely anything but he had the never to ask for his favourite number as a promise before signing and I flat out rejected him. I only sign random, cheap players who never whine about being put in weird numbers.

In all my CM/FM career, I have never paid the slightest heed to squad numbers or player choices and have never noticed any issues at all.  You agree a wage that the player wants and all other issues can be forgotten about.

I have an obsession with buying players 6'4"+. Currently my 6'5" striker is number 65 and my 6'8" striker is number 68. I also normally give special players out of my youth system a number like 77, 88 or 99.

On 28/04/2020 at 09:36, Grifty said:

I have an obsession with buying players 6'4"+. Currently my 6'5" striker is number 65 and my 6'8" striker is number 68. I also normally give special players out of my youth system a number like 77, 88 or 99.

This isn't ice hockey, have some class