"Dreads Big Matches".....What Does The Game Think A "Big Match" Is?

Hello everyone

A brief question.

I have a couple of players who dread big matches on their report cards.

The team i am managing is a team predicted to face a relegation battle.

In my eyes, this will mean my team will face lots of "big matches"......big matches being 6 pointers against our relegation rivals, matches against weaker opponents where we feel we have to win because of the quality levels being similar etc

But is this what the game thinks a "big match" is?

Does the game think a "big match" is a match where something tangible is on the line? i.e its a cup final, we either win or lose. Or a cup tie. go through, or go out.

Is a big match one where youre playing a big opponent, and youre the weaker team?

What is the game basing the idea of a "big match" on...... is there some sort of under the hood calculation that adjusts the probabilities of winning a match (after all other factors are considered) that means the scale of the match affects players who dread such matches?

Would be grateful to know whats going on with this issue

Thank you

As a loose rule of them, I figure if there is a press conference about the upcoming match specifically, it's more likely to be a "big match." As Experienced Defender mentioned, things like Derbies and games to clinch a table position (promotion, avoid relegation, etc).

On 20/04/2020 at 14:00, Experienced Defender said:

I would assume these are derbies (against fierce, local and other official rivals), cup finals (as well as semi-finals) and decisive league matches (for promotion or play-offs or relegation battle). 

9 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

As a loose rule of them, I figure if there is a press conference about the upcoming match specifically, it's more likely to be a "big match." As Experienced Defender mentioned, things like Derbies and games to clinch a table position (promotion, avoid relegation, etc).

Do you think the game can recoginise INCREASING importance of matches, or is it just an on off, important/not important thing?

This interests me particularly as some of my good players have this trait

I asked the same questions several month ago but did not get a clear answer from SI.

The answer was more or less that it depends whether it is a Cup match, derby or important for qualification/Relegation. My tactic is now to react as in real life. I leave them out if it is important from my view.

On 21/04/2020 at 08:38, FMunderachiever said:

Do you think the game can recoginise INCREASING importance of matches, or is it just an on off, important/not important thing?

This interests me particularly as some of my good players have this trait

I couldn't say for sure, but I'd be inclined to lean that it does not. Just mostly on a gut check and for it being a relatively easy way to check the stat.

If your team seems to be "feeling the pressure" because they are close to relegation, it could also just be that a position like that probably has negative impacts on morale and things like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I now tend to rely more on what I see in matches. Look at the body language and you will start to see patterns of players who feel nervous, etc. I also pay attention to their reactions to team talks and press conferences. I get to know them. Players who consistently don´t react in a way I like will very often be out asap. I feel that that is more important. I have a young player who doesn´t like cup matches, but had to play him in a cup final. We won and he had 2nd highest rating in the team, providing an assist.