Does anyone get approached for jobs without actually applying for one?

I’ve been manager of Stevenage for a couple of seasons and won league 2 and then got promoted from league 1. So two promotions In successive season. It suddenly occurred to me that I haven’t once been linked or approached for any jobs. 
I get I’m a relatively new manager but surely winning two Promotions would get you linked to somewhere?

Or do you actuality have to apply for jobs? Not very realistic if that’s the case. 

Been offered a ton of interviews, so I imagine I could have gotten a job if I had attended (doing a 1 club challenge). Still in VNL with Folkestone, but already been invited to Championship sides, so I think it's way too easy to get offered interviews.

7 minutes ago, XaW said:

Been offered a ton of interviews, so I imagine I could have gotten a job if I had attended (doing a 1 club challenge). Still in VNL with Folkestone, but already been invited to Championship sides, so I think it's way too easy to get offered interviews.

Which is surprising to me.. because as I mentioned I haven’t been approached once and there are managers with similar or lower reputations then mine who have got jobs. 

Alright so I'm gonna get my gigantic Geordie bollocks out here... I applied for the England job and got it. I resigned before the first game as it bored me. I got offered the England job without applying two years later haha. 

I also have been offered countless other club jobs over the years but just fancied sharing that 

In my current save the situation changed a lot.

I started as semi profi with team from the Nation League South fighting against relegation. In the second year after stabilising the team and on the way to promotion I got an offer from a team on the same level. After winning the promotion and stabilsing the team ín the National League I got several offers from teams from Ireland. I took the chance to manage a professionell team and went to Galway United. I won the championship and the league cup in the second saison and had some good results in the Championleague qualifers (without qualifing). After that I got many many offers. After 5 years I accepted an offer from VfL Bochum in the German second league. That was not very successful and after 2 years I left by accepting an offer from the Blackburn Rovers. I achieved promotion in the first year ( I joined in the winter and at that point Blackburn was already on a promotion slot), their manager went to the Potters).

After that the offers were few and interviews were often not successfull (Rangers, Celtic, Mönchengladbach, Leverkusen, Bilbao -  it is the FM 2017 and I am in 2032 now).. The last one was from Liverpool which I accepted.

Edited by Zardoz

I got Colchester up into league 1 first season, 7th in League 1 the following season and during a decent run in season 3 in League 1(5th or 6th around October) I was offered the Charlton job (22nd in Championship) and then around Xmas offered the Middlesbrough job (20th in Championship) so it does happen,  but may take 2-3 seasons to see anything. Never got offered anything in the same league or leagues below though.

Edited by KillYourIdols

8 minutes ago, KillYourIdols said:

I got Colchester up into league 1 first season, 6th in league 1 the following season and during a decent run in season 3 (5th or 6th around October) I was offered the Charlton job (22nd in Championship) and then around Xmas offered the Middlesbrough job (20th in Championship) so it does happen,  but may take 2-3 seasons to see anything. Never got offered anything in the same league or leagues below though.

I will keep with it and then see what happens. Good to hear that it does happen. 

2 minutes ago, Gooders said:

I will keep with it and then see what happens. Good to hear that it does happen. 

Yeah, keep up the good work and teams will start taking notice. I look at it as this is your first job in football management, you will need 2-3 good seasons to put yourself "in the shop window" as it were amongst the more experienced managers. Realistically,  it would be a struggle to get noticed in less time then that.

Ive been offered various jobs in the Premier league before ever managing in England. I got offered the Liverpool and Chelsea jobs when I applied for the city job and then after I got fired from city and went to China I was offered the Chelsea and United jobs a year or so later. I had 10 years experience in game before all of this, I've won various leagues, cups, champions leagues and the AFCON so I'd earned it.

Yes it does.  I started  with Lisburn Distillery in the NIFL Premier Intermediate League.  I was promoted once and finished third in the 2nd division.  I've been offered a job in the NIFL Premier League and a few offers from clubs in the same division.

Are you all actually getting offered the job. Or just offered an interview? I've been offered countless interviews without apply over the years playing FM but don't recall being offered a job outright without having to interview for it.(although I'm not great at the game so that might be why lol) 

1 minute ago, improvox said:

Are you all actually getting offered the job. Or just offered an interview? I've been offered countless interviews without apply over the years playing FM but don't recall being offered a job outright without having to interview for it.(although I'm not great at the game so that might be why lol) 

As I wrote, I get interviews, but I don't attend them since I'm doing a one club challenge. But I've been "favoured" for several ones, so I think I'd gotten quite a few if I wanted.

I get a lot of interview requests, without applying, when without a club. When with a club unapplied interview requests are a rarity, but most applied for gets me an interview.

Although a nice touch I thought, after 3 seasons with Everton and consistent 5th/6th/5th finishes plus a few QF/SFs in all cups I thought good career progression is to go for a 'Big 4' job if available - Man City sack manager (they were 3rd/4th/7th) so I apply pretty confident I'd be in the running. Get the response after a couple of weeks that I won't be interviewed because despite meeting all criteria with regards to style of play and player development I had never won a trophy!

Currently on a one club save with Motherwell trying to get the Champions League. Been offered a ton of jobs in EPL and turned them all down including the big 6.  Strangely, despite my domestic success, I've never even been linked with the Old Firm or Scotland national job which I've found odd.

Edited by metallimuse

On 23 April 2020 at 11:30, metallimuse said:

Currently on a one club save with Motherwell trying to get the Champions League. Been offered a ton of jobs in EPL and turned them all down including the big 6.  Strangely, despite my domestic success, I've never even been linked with the Old Firm or Scotland national job which I've found odd.

Does Turnbull ever get improved stamina?!?

• 2 weeks later...

0DMezcR.png

Countries offer directly, for clubs there's always interviews..

w11tSSt.png

I'm still doing a one-club save, so I always reject, but I'm certain I could have changed if I wanted to without much issue.

• 5 weeks later...

I’m Maidstone in national league and got approached by Macclesfield in league 2 - but seen as in the interview invite message their board told me they “wasn’t convinced by my record of taking teams away from relegation places”  I decided to decline the interview and hope I would get a good boy sticker from current club for loyalty (didn’t work, nothing was said by anyone) 

I get loads of interview offers without any prompting :D

Took a while for my starting semi-pro starting rep to catch up with my achievements, but am currently top of the championship with 8-9 games to go. Earlier in the season a lot of the big spenders in the championship were trying to get me, I got offered one job but turned it down as they had a really old playing squad with a massive wage bill. Contrastingly my current team has the lowest average age in the division with bags of potential.

Since January I've had a few interview offers from Prem clubs, with Burnley offering me the manager's job. Again I turned it down as I feel quite committed to the project at my current club, plus I really want some silverware! Arsenal and Southampton both gave me interviews which would've made me think, but as I didn't agree 100% with their board philosophies they opted for other options which I'm cool with.

Yes I have too. I resigned as inter boss because the real Madrid, Barcelona, many city and Bayern's jobs all came available the same time once the season ended. I applied for them all and got offered an interview with Tottenham, being an arsenal fan I couldn't being myself to even attend their interview. I got the real Madrid job in the end. 

I'm managing in the Wessex Premier League & have been getting job offers from higher up the pyramid so yep.

In my last save I went from Chesterfield (had them top of League 2) to Fulham (Championship) too.

In my 1860 Munich game I got offered interviews at PSG, Sevilla, Lyon, Porto, werder Bremen and bilbao attended the PSG one just for cheese factor and they gave it to Diego simeone citing my lack of experience in managing teams of that stature, I wouldn't have taken it anyway after bringimg them from bundesliga 3 to 2nd in the main bundesliga 2 seasons on the trot after 6 years but still.. 

Yes, I get lots of invitations for interviews. These clubs have around the same number of stars that I have. For that, I have to win trophies, but as importantly I have to take coaching courses. Make sure you are asking your club to sponsor your studies!

Edited by phd_angel