Youth Intakes

I’ve had some pretty below average youth intakes in my 8 seasons at Derby, but I’ve never had an intake where there are literally no positives.

We’ve got a 5 star reputation, and state of the art youth and training facilities. Plus, I won the bloody champions league last season! 

Is there any way to improve the quality of youth intakes? 

387AC1A7-C37B-4BAC-9641-2421919A0FC0.jpeg

28 minutes ago, ForrestGrump said:

I’ve had some pretty below average youth intakes in my 8 seasons at Derby, but I’ve never had an intake where there are literally no positives.

We’ve got a 5 star reputation, and state of the art youth and training facilities. Plus, I won the bloody champions league last season! 

Is there any way to improve the quality of youth intakes? 

387AC1A7-C37B-4BAC-9641-2421919A0FC0.jpeg

How do you know your players are bad? Because they are compared to your current squad and if you have a champions league winning squad - it's hard to produce first team players every year.

1 hour ago, Bigpole said:

How do you know your players are bad? Because they are compared to your current squad and if you have a champions league winning squad - it's hard to produce first team players every year.

THIS !! ive signed so many 2-3 stars and people think they are no good don't realize its compared to your squad. once you sign them watch them grow and turn out ok or some times stars. just like in real life you don't get wonderkids every year impossible. But no one seems to understand that star ratings and your Youth intake are based on your squad now ! so a champions team will look like no good players. but in fact there is good players just sign them you will see. 

once and a while you will get that wonderkid. 

I only look on the mental attributes and the stars for the potential development. Everybody with at least 4 stars potential development (even only in black" is taken and then I look, how they develop. Of Course, the higher the niveau of your team is, the less probale is that you get youngster able to Play with 18 or so in the team.

But that is a realistic approach of the game. The number of youngsters in top teams is low and the most do not achieve that in their home team.

Edited by Zardoz

As I said on a post the other day expressing similar sentiments, simply do not listen to AI staff. You as manager should always know best, how your team sets up, what attributes are needed (both core and for certain positions/roles in your team), etc. And these players can always be retrained into new, more suitable positions - Winger who is lacking in technical ability, could he switch to fullback? Fullbacks who lack pace/athleticism, how about becoming a centre back or holding midfielder? And personally, playing high possession football a lot of the time, most of my centre backs have been converted from other positions to have the necessary technical abilities I deem relevant.

Loads of newgens that the system rates as rubbish can be moulded into serviceable players who at the very least can be sold and bring in some funds. But so many FM'ers don't get past that news item in their inbox or the star rating system.

7 hours ago, ForrestGrump said:

@Bigpole I wasn’t so much stating that they were bad, but more pointing out that every one of those comments is a negative. In previous years there has at least been some “+” points.

These 'previews' literally means nothing, look at your players when they come, their attributes, position, personality. Sign most or all of them and wait till they turn 18/19 - then mass release or loan development. 

6 hours ago, Bigpole said:

These 'previews' literally means nothing, look at your players when they come, their attributes, position, personality. Sign most or all of them and wait till they turn 18/19 - then mass release or loan development. 

This ^^^

Youths is not expensive to hold (contracts), especially when you are CL winner.

Edited by Guest