Which Player Trait For This Striker?

Just signed two strikers and I'm unsure of which player traits - if any - I should train them for. I'm still learning about this area of the game and am hesitant.

Both of these players are young and can change / grow, so I also don't want to make a decision that will negatively impact in the long run. Any advice?

image.thumb.png.230032ca309307ebe95648c836e11446.png

Gonzalez has great long shots, technique, and strength, but mediocre finishing and mental attributes. He's also not very fast or tall. If he's playing as a Complete Forward should I train him to "Shoot From Distance" and/or "Shoot With Power"?

image.thumb.png.3e95d7b02a00a6adc6c467a5bc0279fe.png

Thiago has great finishing and technique, but mediocre mental attributes. He is also not particularly fast or tall. He'll be closer to the goal as an Advanced Forward, but is he good enough to benefit from specialized shooting traits like "Places Shots" or something else of that nature?

I don't tend to train traits for forwards, sometimes Round Keeper if they get 1v1 situations and there dribbling is much better than there finishing. 

I've literally never trained any player to shoot from distance.  Typically I train traits that don't conflict with instructions and i'm sure its needed for tactic.

It depends on the role of your player as well. Tries First Time Shots is a good trait for pure goalscorers with excellent technique, finishing, composure, anticipation and decisions for instance. But if you want your striker to contribute more to build-up play, it is not a very good trait to have.

On 14/04/2020 at 03:54, Vinay17 said:

I think you should teach traits that fit your tactic 

On 14/04/2020 at 04:25, summatsupeer said:

I don't tend to train traits for forwards, sometimes Round Keeper if they get 1v1 situations and there dribbling is much better than there finishing. 

I've literally never trained any player to shoot from distance.  Typically I train traits that don't conflict with instructions and i'm sure its needed for tactic.

On 14/04/2020 at 04:56, Adonalsium said:

It depends on the role of your player as well. Tries First Time Shots is a good trait for pure goalscorers with excellent technique, finishing, composure, anticipation and decisions for instance. But if you want your striker to contribute more to build-up play, it is not a very good trait to have.

Well I tend to alter my tactics slightly depending on the players I have. I play a slightly direct attacking style played into space with above average pressing. These two aren't particularly pacey, though, so I'd probably remove playing into space, etc.

What kind of traits do you think would be good fits for these players? If I can identify what they are then I can determine if they are the kinds of traits I would like to incorporate into my tactics or not. Shooting from distance, for example, I tend to dislike, but if Gonzalez would be exceptionally good at them with the Long Shots, Technique, and Power ratings, despite low Finishing, then I'd be down to train him to do it, even if as a Complete Forward he would be expected to contribute to the buildup a bit more.

Presuming you're playing the two together given their statuses. I'd see Gonzalez as a pressing forward in support duty with shoots from distance and shoots with power. Might think about unlearning does not dive into tackles if go down that route.

Alternatively I might have him as a target man on support with the same shooting PPMs, though only if playing a counter attack based strategy where he's likely to find some space rather than being right up against the defensive line where his jumping reach might be a problem. Would consider adding comes deep to get ball in that case. 

I'd then have Thiago as a poacher with runs with ball through centre, rounds keeper and places shots.  Or you could play him as an inside forward on the right with cuts inside. 

I'm going to have Thiago place his shots, and I think I might have Gonzalez shoot with power. I thought the strength attribute would help with this trait, but I don't see it listed in this guide. Is this an mistaken omission, or was I mistaken? It would seem counterintuitive if it didn't help out, but it's possible.

image.thumb.png.af49946f6bd704b45d45e2c49b1ae96f.pngimage.thumb.png.a859a1be93f42d7211681e1b9354a024.png

This other guide does say strength is a good attribute for shooting with power, logically, so I decided to train "blast the ball into the back of the net." But now the coach is saying that this is a bad trait for a player with good technique, even though both guides say technique helps this trait! Is this just another example of bad coach advice, or am I missing something here?

image.thumb.png.9a22561ea8511dbe2ca9c3b91ae46e19.pngimage.thumb.png.528c8c15c848ce324d0cdff383f520ab.png

Usually "shoots with power" is recommended for players with low technique or composure, but if you have a player with good finishing and technique to have this trait, he will blast the ball onto tight angles which increases a lot the chance to score.

2 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Usually "shoots with power" is recommended for players with low technique or composure, but if you have a player with good finishing and technique to have this trait, he will blast the ball onto tight angles which increases a lot the chance to score.

Sounds good to me, as long as he won't be going for power OVER technique, but rather combining the two into something even more deadly. Is this confirmed or anecdotal?

2 hours ago, Weston said:

Sounds good to me, as long as he won't be going for power OVER technique, but rather combining the two into something even more deadly. Is this confirmed or anecdotal?

Not sure. But I sure do remember a striker I had with finishing 16 and the "shoots with power" PPM and he scored for fun, blasting balls into the corners

"Shoots with Power" and "Hits First Time Shots" have always been excellent for me on strikers with both high and low technique, and both your players are gifted in that manner with a Technique of 16. They would always unleash vicious shots that would catch the goalkeeper by surprise, if they could reach it in the first place. It's a great trait to have for goal poachers, and with Teamwork ratings of 12 and 9 they'll definitely be inclined towards shooting rather than passing and helping buildup play. 

2 hours ago, Weston said:

Can anyone confirm if, in fact, 'shoots with power' uses and builds on technique with said power as opposed to just replacing it with brute strength? @Experienced Defender maybe?

I can basically agree with this: 

2 hours ago, FlairRA said:

"Shoots with Power" and "Hits First Time Shots" have always been excellent for me on strikers with both high and low technique, and both your players are gifted in that manner with a Technique of 16. They would always unleash vicious shots that would catch the goalkeeper by surprise, if they could reach it in the first place. It's a great trait to have for goal poachers, and with Teamwork ratings of 12 and 9 they'll definitely be inclined towards shooting rather than passing and helping buildup play. 

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I can basically agree with this: 

Cool, as long as I'm not training him to ignore his fantastic technical ability I'm good. Thanks!