[FM 20.4.1] • • • MiNiMaL_FuSS - FuSSfilment 2.0.1 || 4-1-2-2-1 • • •

23 hours ago, shooter6065 said:

thanks for the help!  This SI games forum always has some really helpful people like yourself.  Keep up the good work!

Aw, I feel all warm and squishy inside - but seriously thank you.

21 hours ago, trickyrikki said:

Great to have you back! Best thing to happen in this lockdown! I plan to start using this on my Villa save tonight and see how it goes. Invested heavily in youth and steadily improving and finished runners up in year 2 some how! Now ive  hit a bit of a brick wall with consistency and my wingers/inside forwards are really struggling to influence games which is frustrating after heavy investment so i'm hoping this will help whilst keeping the style of football i like. I'll let you know how it goes.

You may need to have a few more lockdown BBQs my friend, but appreciate the sentiment!

This tactic makes Inside Forwards thrive.

3 hours ago, suptirior__ said:

doesn't wrok played 5 lost 3 with tottenham doing everythyng as you say 

All the other posts in this thread would seem to contradict you, but I'm here to help!

Tell me more! I'm even happy to be sent a save game file if you want me to take a look personally?

3 hours ago, branyik said:

Sorry for sounding stupid here.  What is the file Fuss info file? and how do I use this in game.

Thanks

It's nothing to do with the tactic as such - I just find it a very helpful view for managing my squad, detials below.

2 hours ago, Jonas91 said:

is to see our squad info like this! you shoud put the file in DOcuments/Sports Interactiv/ FM 20 / views

then on the top left where it says views you import the fmf file from that folder ! ;)

sss1.JPG

Thanks for helping out!

1 hour ago, Navarone said:

Every team that I take seem to love this tactic. Startet a new save today with Sunderland and they have really startet outstanding. My reserves even beat Stoke away in the league cup which was great. Agressive teamtalk before the game seems to be very important. 

Great to hear! thanks!

16 minutes ago, FMLCKDWN said:

is this a good tactick for underdog teams ? i want to start a long term carreer in lockdown :p but whant to use just one tac if its possible ? 

I never think there's a simple answer to that.

My success will Salford would say yes - but realistically my Salford team are basically championship quality in League 2, so I expected them to boss it with any tactic. Winning the League Cup was very impressive, but we got lucky against Liverpool and most of the big boys didn't put out their first 11, so it partly depends on circumstances.

High line is pretty dangerous as an underdog, but this tactic does still work pretty well with a lower line in my opinion.

Personally when I'm underdog I prefer to drop the mentality a little and keep everything else the same.

Top tip would be to invest most in your Advanced Playmaker (MC-L) - I find if he has a bad day my whole team has a bad day.

Edited by FuSS

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update - 1.1

I've experimented with a few different types of striker and it only works with a Pressing Forward (Support).

I've made a very slight single tweak - the Pressing Forward now "Moves into channels" - this seems to get him a few more goals.

Download on the front page.

What Signings did you make for Salford in league 1 and what is your current starting 11? Just interested to know as I’ve just got back to back promotions with Notts County and now in league 1 looking to improve my team. Love this tactic btw. So great to watch. 

Tested your tactic in Turkish Super League with Fenerbahce. Media prediction was 2nd for us.

- I almost never went on holiday.

- Never used OI. Tried all team talks as your suggestions + match shouts.

- The key players were inside forwards. Coz of the financial status, I couldn't make big transfers. Loaning Vinicius Junior for 2nd half of the stage did a bit help.

Thanks for sharing this "realistic and good football" tactic o/

LeagueTable.jpg

Individuals.jpg

Results.jpg

22 minutes ago, FMLCKDWN said:

started a save whith anderlecht. do u use the ol's from the start of every game or just when you are playing bad ?

I almost never use them.

As mentioned in the OP, when I do use them I do it to solve a problem - i.e. a particular player is causing me problems, or they keep putting balls over the top.

There's a nice example from someone else on page 1 somewhere.

9 minutes ago, mark111094 said:

What Signings did you make for Salford in league 1 and what is your current starting 11? Just interested to know as I’ve just got back to back promotions with Notts County and now in league 1 looking to improve my team. Love this tactic btw. So great to watch. 

I've just started league 1, my signings so far are:

Ben Sheaf - 200k (MC)
Luke McGee - Free (GK)
Max Kilman - 160k (DL)
Conor Gallagher - Loan (MC)
James Garner - Loan (DMC)
Rhian Brewster - Loan (SC)
Ethan Laird - Loan (DL/DR)
Manu Appeh - Free (SC)
David Concha - Free (AML)
Atila Varga - Free (DC)
Simone Icardi - Free (MC)
Dani Morer - Free (DL/DR)
Josh Cullen - Free (DMC)
Angel Gomes - Loan (AMR/AML)
Curtis Jones - Loan (AML)

Oh those signings, Brewster and Icardi are amazing. 

I don't play a first 11 as such.

I aim for 22 good players and rotate two sets of 11 regularly.

I find that even an extra 2-3% in fitness in condition makes a big difference to performance.

6 minutes ago, FalseNine said:

Tested your tactic in Turkish Super League with Fenerbahce. Media prediction was 2nd for us.

- I almost never went on holiday.

- Never used OI. Tried all team talks as your suggestions + match shouts.

- The key players were inside forwards. Coz of the financial status, I couldn't make big transfers. Loaning Vinicius Junior for 2nd half of the stage did a bit help.

Thanks for sharing this "realistic and good football" tactic o/

LeagueTable.jpg

Individuals.jpg

Results.jpg

Very nice, surprised you won matches while on holiday even! 

6 minutes ago, FuSS said:

I almost never use them.

As mentioned in the OP, when I do use them I do it to solve a problem - i.e. a particular player is causing me problems, or they keep putting balls over the top.

There's a nice example from someone else on page 1 somewhere.

I've just started league 1, my signings so far are:

Ben Sheaf - 200k (MC)
Luke McGee - Free (GK)
Max Kilman - 160k (DL)
Conor Gallagher - Loan (MC)
James Garner - Loan (DMC)
Rhian Brewster - Loan (SC)
Ethan Laird - Loan (DL/DR)
Manu Appeh - Free (SC)
David Concha - Free (AML)
Atila Varga - Free (DC)
Simone Icardi - Free (MC)
Dani Morer - Free (DL/DR)
Josh Cullen - Free (DMC)
Angel Gomes - Loan (AMR/AML)
Curtis Jones - Loan (AML)

Oh those signings, Brewster and Icardi are amazing. 

I don't play a first 11 as such.

I aim for 22 good players and rotate two sets of 11 regularly.

I find that even an extra 2-3% in fitness in condition makes a big difference to performance.

Very nice, surprised you won matches while on holiday even! 

Wow incredible to get some of those players in league 1! 

22 minutes ago, FMLCKDWN said:

played 10 lost five just following the op what am i doing wrong ?

What team are you?

If you are an underdog I would suggest using cautious and not using any OI's

You aren't going to win every game but you will likely overachieve in comparison to your targets.

image.thumb.png.080aa9e8739f8c957537066649227171.png

Started the tactic against Everton and the game was very open but i kept possession better than i had. Deserved to lose as my team cant seem to deal with crosses in the air but i wasn't expecting a miracle tactic and result.

Showed improvement ober the next few games with some decent wins but the performance against Palace was fantastic. Great to watch and absolutely dominated from start to finish.

Tactic was fluid in a lot of areas from the fist game as its similar to what i had been using. As its becoming more familiar it seems to be getting stronger. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses over the next 5.

Really impressed so far...

Finished 2nd with my Everton team in my 2022 season. Excellent tactic and think can go one better next season with some good signings. The football is realistic and entertaining, you're certain to over achieve, it's one of the best tactics I've played with in this game. Well done! 

image.thumb.png.4f86ab0427fed15533f60ffbad24be55.png

My next 4 games were not pretty despite being 95% familiar. Only 1 CCC created, scraped a 2-1 win against Mansfield where they had 3 CCC and 2 HC to my single HC. 

I'm finding that the opposition will just continually pump balls into the box and score headers and hit long balls into the channel and beat my fast defenders to it everytime. Possession has decreased and Ive had to revert back to my previous tactic to try and be more threatening.

I want to stick with it and may do against lesser teams or in the new season but not enjoying being open at the back and impotent up front.

9 minuti fa, trickyrikki ha scritto:

My next 4 games were not pretty despite being 95% familiar. Only 1 CCC created, scraped a 2-1 win against Mansfield where they had 3 CCC and 2 HC to my single HC. 

I'm finding that the opposition will just continually pump balls into the box and score headers and hit long balls into the channel and beat my fast defenders to it everytime. Possession has decreased and Ive had to revert back to my previous tactic to try and be more threatening.

I want to stick with it and may do against lesser teams or in the new season but not enjoying being open at the back and impotent up front.

Try to se regroup instead of counterpress. It worked for me

I wouldn't say I am struggling with this tactic as my Leeds team are in the hunt for continental places in their first season in the premier league, but it is a frustrating one. My strike force are horrendously impotent:

image.thumb.png.ef93fc26e8d433b1064addb7c194098b.png

Time and time again they fail to score and I have to depend on set pieces and sheer brilliance from my AP. It's like they aren't even in the game.

The other thing is I tend to concede from individual errors, which can't be helped, or just letting the opposition walk through my team from me attacking a corner.

The amount of blocked shots and crosses and pull backs, is again frustrating. 

I tend to have to change to an 3 up top tactic from Knap in the last half an hour to try and get a result from games we should be comfortable winning. 

Next game same problem:

image.thumb.png.bd0e62aa6385250e94e269b9e8c9dd55.png

Edited by Craglyboy

On 17/04/2020 at 15:45, mark111094 said:

Wow incredible to get some of those players in league 1! 

Well it helped that we one the league cup from league 2, which put our rep and pull up considerably.

That said, most are loans and frees, so they're out of contract already.

18 hours ago, Craglyboy said:

I wouldn't say I am struggling with this tactic as my Leeds team are in the hunt for continental places in their first season in the premier league, but it is a frustrating one. My strike force are horrendously impotent:

image.thumb.png.ef93fc26e8d433b1064addb7c194098b.png

Time and time again they fail to score and I have to depend on set pieces and sheer brilliance from my AP. It's like they aren't even in the game.

The other thing is I tend to concede from individual errors, which can't be helped, or just letting the opposition walk through my team from me attacking a corner.

The amount of blocked shots and crosses and pull backs, is again frustrating. 

I tend to have to change to an 3 up top tactic from Knap in the last half an hour to try and get a result from games we should be comfortable winning. 

Next game same problem:

image.thumb.png.bd0e62aa6385250e94e269b9e8c9dd55.png

Hi Crag,

Can you you show me the match stats so I can see what's going on a little more?

Two immediate observations:

- Costa, is left footed, so will be a complete waste of space out on the left, get him on the right.

- I noticed you've switched to attacking, now without seeing your match stats I can't say how this has affect things but let me guess a scenario:

• Often when a team is dominating, pushing the other team back and taking plenty of shots, but is unable to score, a player switches up to attacking to find the goal?
  • Just like real life what you're actually doing is forcing the other team to play with 10-11 men behind the ball, meaning no matter how much you dominant you've got to pick through 11 players, which takes an individual moment of brilliance.
  • Sometimes the best thing to do when you're dominating but seemingly can't get that vital first goal is to draw the other team out - either switch to standard, or to counter, or drop your d-line.
  • Once you've scored the other team will be forced to play out and you can resume normal play.

I assume you're also individually disciplining players and doing one-to-one talks with them after poor performances like that? It could just be individuals struggling to adapt to a new tactic.

Edited by FuSS

On 18/04/2020 at 17:04, radetzky said:

Try to se regroup instead of counterpress. It worked for me

I'll give this a test, thanks.

On 18/04/2020 at 16:54, trickyrikki said:

The answer is in your middle paragraph :p

As discussed on page 1:

• You need heading, jumping and positioning rather than fast defenders - you HAVE to win the ball in the air, not turn around and run after it.
  • You can also use OIs to cut off the supply.
  • You can also drop the D-line, this tactic was originally designed with a standard D-line, it's just a higher one worked better for me (although you need excellent familiarity for a high line).

Thanks FuSS, 

I don't want to belittle my point but:

image.thumb.png.022397256bc3be9e3e56496789540b5d.png

Frankly this tactic is as good as any other tactic you have made.

I went into this season taking whatever I could get, and then you produced your tactic. It was great at the start of the season when people underestimate you, then I got to a point where Liverpool lost 3 in 4 (they looked unbeatable all season) and I was in contention.

This is when I got frustrated with the tactic. I feel like it is incredibly solid and in general, plays the way I want it to play. The problem is that I dont feel that we convert as much as we should, and this shows with the front line, who have consistenly underperformed through the season. I thought I had taken a screenshot of the crosses completed in the league, but to enlighten you I was 19th in the league with these fullbacks:

image.thumb.png.5ef82f7b32a5cd83e2e366f3af2d1fd9.png

image.thumb.png.677c1368a8accdb74b1bf9d3c614938d.png

I have used your tactics for many years and I am aware it is dependant on hard working. technically adept fullbacks. I feel they make and break your tactics as they influence all phases of play, and frankly I love that. Your whole philosphy regardless of the result really resonates with me. I love the fact that the mezzala is essentially sacrificing himself for the cause and even when I see him struggle ratings wise he is doing what I need for the team. The domination that the team see's game on game is frankly a credit to your ability to interpret football as a sport and translate it to this simulation. Where I have been disapointed this season is the fact the front three are non-existent. I agree Helder Costa is out of position, but I was clutching at straws due to the impotence of the forward line. I was regularly depending on Barry Douglas from set pieces who is and aging left back who kept getting injured:

image.thumb.png.71ae8e11e50414a697ad89e6d01bea49.png

I don't know whether the issue is the crossing instruction of "whipped crosses" as my cross completion was less that 10% over the season which feels artificial. It was just so irritating seeing strikers not score all season. In fact I dont think they scored a single goal whilst using this tactic. Granted I didn't have the greatest front line although I feel Macias is more than capable:

image.thumb.png.bb6ecf2b6f318c7bbc706fd4130d6718.png

I really can't complain I won the league for F**K sake. But it was frustrating towards the end of season being dependant on alternate tactics that I didn't enjoy. I know you mentioned that I went attacking, but I used your tactic last season with one of my favourite saves (Ajax) so I understand the advantage of cautious to draw the oppositon out. but it wasn't as effective this season.

Just to add the match stats from those games:

image.thumb.png.dc4da2eab6a06c1d84de14abd106dc34.png

image.thumb.png.66160170e8c21d89186fd68749ee686b.png

The palace game I switched to three up top. I ended up giving bollockings to the front 3 consistently which seemed to help a bit but still.

To be clear I can't be mad at this tactic, it plays how I want it to and frankly, it's so solid and honest it's hard not to enjoy. The problem for me is the conversion of crosses and I'd almost rather play with 10 men, I think I would be able to break the opposition down easier haha!

I want to caveat this by saying Thank You!!! This tactic plays how I want to see football being played. I have to admit I would switch to alternate tactics to get a result but I depended on this throughout the season. I would not of wanted to take on the top 6 without this tactic. Further to this some of the progression I have seen on my players due to the fact they have performed over and above their expected ability has been wonderful to watch, the main one being Sergio Gomez, who is my main AP:

image.thumb.png.5e12695053f987e6d496cae16dfc1943.png

10 hours ago, Craglyboy said:

Thanks FuSS, 

I went into this season taking whatever I could get, and then you produced your tactic. It was great at the start of the season when people underestimate you, then I got to a point where Liverpool lost 3 in 4 (they looked unbeatable all season) and I was in contention.

This is when I got frustrated with the tactic. I feel like it is incredibly solid and in general, plays the way I want it to play. The problem is that I dont feel that we convert as much as we should, and this shows with the front line, who have consistenly underperformed through the season. I thought I had taken a screenshot of the crosses completed in the league, but to enlighten you I was 19th in the league with these fullbacks:

I have used your tactics for many years and I am aware it is dependant on hard working. technically adept fullbacks. I feel they make and break your tactics as they influence all phases of play, and frankly I love that. Your whole philosphy regardless of the result really resonates with me. I love the fact that the mezzala is essentially sacrificing himself for the cause and even when I see him struggle ratings wise he is doing what I need for the team. The domination that the team see's game on game is frankly a credit to your ability to interpret football as a sport and translate it to this simulation. Where I have been disapointed this season is the fact the front three are non-existent. I agree Helder Costa is out of position, but I was clutching at straws due to the impotence of the forward line. I was regularly depending on Barry Douglas from set pieces who is and aging left back who kept getting injured:

I don't know whether the issue is the crossing instruction of "whipped crosses" as my cross completion was less that 10% over the season which feels artificial. It was just so irritating seeing strikers not score all season. In fact I dont think they scored a single goal whilst using this tactic. Granted I didn't have the greatest front line although I feel Macias is more than capable:

I really can't complain I won the league for F**K sake. But it was frustrating towards the end of season being dependant on alternate tactics that I didn't enjoy. I know you mentioned that I went attacking, but I used your tactic last season with one of my favourite saves (Ajax) so I understand the advantage of cautious to draw the oppositon out. but it wasn't as effective this season.

The palace game I switched to three up top. I ended up giving bollockings to the front 3 consistently which seemed to help a bit but still.

To be clear I can't be mad at this tactic, it plays how I want it to and frankly, it's so solid and honest it's hard not to enjoy. The problem for me is the conversion of crosses and I'd almost rather play with 10 men, I think I would be able to break the opposition down easier haha!

I want to caveat this by saying Thank You!!! This tactic plays how I want to see football being played. I have to admit I would switch to alternate tactics to get a result but I depended on this throughout the season. I would not of wanted to take on the top 6 without this tactic. Further to this some of the progression I have seen on my players due to the fact they have performed over and above their expected ability has been wonderful to watch, the main one being Sergio Gomez, who is my main AP:

Thanks Crag, looks like a nice season all in all!

It's tough to comment on those draws as it looks like your team are getting CCCs, HCs and hitting the woodwork, but simply not converting enough chances.

I'm experimenting with a couple of offensive settings and will take a look at the crossing.

I know you've been testing tactics on here for donkeys, so if you get the chance to tinker just a little, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Edited by FuSS

9 ore fa, Craglyboy ha scritto:

Thanks FuSS, 

Sorry but I am afraid to have missed something (my english is not so good)

I have read about some weakness in your post, ie the crossing stats, the 3 players upfront inconsistent but the first screen shows a premier League title gained with Leeds at the first attempt.

Did you achievr the title using Fuss tactc?

Yes he won the tile using my tactic - but his team aren't converting as many chances as he would like, which is fair.

I'm currently using tempo one-notch higher (which seems to be working for me) and experimenting with crosses.

I noticed a few tactics using Floated Crosses since the update - the effect is really interesting, I score less direct headers, but score quite a bit from knock-downs and second balls, needs some more looking into I think.

Well that was unexpected...

20200421175933_1.thumb.jpg.bcecdd404a6a6523abdd1ab445334b25.jpg

Angle Gomez is the epitome of a big game player - put him in any normal league match and he's ****...stick him in a bit cup game and he smashes it every time!

Edited by FuSS

9 hours ago, FuSS said:

Yes he won the tile using my tactic - but his team aren't converting as many chances as he would like, which is fair.

I'm currently using tempo one-notch higher (which seems to be working for me) and experimenting with crosses.

I noticed a few tactics using Floated Crosses since the update - the effect is really interesting, I score less direct headers, but score quite a bit from knock-downs and second balls, needs some more looking into I think.

I am near the top of the table with my Chicago Fire, very solid defense and lots of scoring chances.  I typically out shoot teams 20 to 8 or so but scoring chances are rarely converted.  It is frustrating to watch sometimes but I basically win games with a great defense that gives up few chances and set-piece conversion.  My leading scorer is a centerback who is average at aerial and heading but I spend TONS of time in training on attacking set-pieces  On weeks without games I do several set-piece training sessions and score plenty of set-piece goals without a cheat.

I will try some of Fuss's crossing and tempo adjustments and report back.  If more scoring chances can be converted you could really do some damage in a league with an average team like I have.

Great first full season using your tactics with Nottingham Forest. Won the Premier league and League Cup. Lost the FA Cup final and Champions League Final. Season 2026/27 but only my third season at Forest. This is my big save this year. Startet out at Ajax, went to Spurs. Got fired there after we won everything because I flirted with a couple of national teams. Levy is strange. Had a short spell in french 2nd division before Forest called. They were then in the Championship. 

My England team is doing great also although losing in the National league final to Italy on pen's was sad. Rashford missed a penalty in the 94th minute on 0-0 and we headed for extra time. No goals there either and on penalties Italy were just too good. Pickford had been outstanding most of the game but he was not able to save any of the penalties  and Italy were champions.

You deserve all the credit you can get for your magical tactics, FuSS! Both the original and the updated versions are great! Very nice football to wach. My main two strikers both scored around 25 goals in 45+ matches which is decent I guess. Very up and down. From world class to poor. That's football. We are now looking forward to the 2027/28 season. A new stadium will be ready in 2030. Happy times at Forest! :)

Really appreciate all the positive feedback guys.

I'm still tinkering with trying to convert more chances. It may sound odd but I actually seem to be having the most success ONLY dropping the defensive-line by one notch (higher) and changing nothing else. I can only assume this stops your players bunching up too much and therefore creates that little bit of extra space needed to convert more of the chances.

I've got 7 first team players away on international duty and using a winger upfront...looks like Gillingham's keeper had a bad day, every shot even from miles out, went in. There were about 4 goal of the season candidates in there!

20200422094903_1.thumb.jpg.ad2328da828c969f4b6504cf1ce83673.jpg

Using 1.1 with D-line dropped one notch to "Higher"

Edited by FuSS

1 hour ago, FuSS said:

I've got 7 first team players away on international duty and using a winger upfront...looks like Gillingham's keeper had a bad day, every shot even from miles out, went in. There were about 4 goal of the season candidates in there!

20200422094903_1.thumb.jpg.ad2328da828c969f4b6504cf1ce83673.jpg

Using 1.1 with D-line dropped one notch to "Higher"

Great result! 5-0 up at half time. Can you share your team talk before the game and at half time? Do you pick the players who takes the set pieces?

1 hour ago, Navarone said:

Great result! 5-0 up at half time. Can you share your team talk before the game and at half time? Do you pick the players who takes the set pieces?

I wouldn't get too excited, it was just one of those games, their keeper let absolutely every shot past him.

Would be the same as my team talks on the OP, I don't tend to vary it much.

I don't select my set piece takers (I do choose who takes any penalties though).

I think whipped crosses are better when you have wingers that hug lines to cross at the end , and those with a good crossing stat! since we use IF and mostly are the fullbacks that to the mjority of crosses , maybe low crosses or floated would result better! i've been playing a few games with the d-line tweak and low crosses , and i feel it took up a notch ! i definity saw a probably aroun 30 to 40 % decrease on ball over the top of my defenders on the defensive side! on the offensive side it is such a joy to watch those 1-2 with the striker and the IF on the approaching to the are and such! 

this tactic may not be the one that gives the most wins or most points in the long run, but if we add the pleasure to watch these movements and tatic fluidity with the results we get, i believe it is difficult to find one better! :)

you wont win many 4 or 5 goals diff games , but you will win 1 or 2-0 with two goals that could get you up the chair and saw the repeat just to see how awesome the play was! :D

End of my second season as Spurs using this tactic, and after switching to v1.1 around November my team picked up the pace, improving from narrow wins with some draws to comfortable wins in most matches, we ended up winning the PL with 4 games to spare, beating out a Liverpool side that remains strong even at the end of the 23/24 season. There weren't many crushing wins domestically, but a 2 or 3 goal is nothing to be sneezed at - and there was a very pleasing 5-1 shellacking of Man City in there, even if they did struggle this season!

Erling Haaland was top scorer with 19 - but that did include 8 penalties. Harry Kane had 14 goals, including 5 penalties. They shared the sole striker role, with Haaland's complaining getting him just over half the starts.

Wingers delivered 52 goals and 27 assists, and another 10 and 31(!) from fullback - Max Aarons managed 12 assists just on his own. Aarons was my POTY, and I feel like most of his assists came from 1-2s with the right winger. For me the left and right wingers seemed to assist each other a lot, with whipped crosses from one to the back post being picked up by their opposite number often enough for me to make note of it. Craglyboy noted his success rate for crossing for the season was below 10% - for my team it was 22%, so a significant difference there.

The DM/AP/MEZ trio had 32 goals and 27 assists across the six players who rotated there, plus Martin Odegaard who had 6 and 10 by January before Bayern offered £60m for a player who joined on a Bosman and, well, let's just say Daniel Levy has rubbed off on me.

My team had both the best attack *and* the best defence in the league. 88 for, and just 21 against, 31 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats (to Chelsea under v1, then in the return match under v1.1 and then bizarrely to Brighton in a match where we got FM'd). I can't claim that this is all down to the tactic - I have players like Coman, Sancho and de Ligt in the team, although I also still have 10 players who're in the Spurs squad on day one, including Kane, Winks, Skipp, Dier. I can only buy one £90m player per window, after all!

Elsewhere we went out of both the FA and League Cups at the QF stage, producing curiously limp performances against Man City and Palace. We never got going in the Champions League - 4 draws and a loss in our first 5 matches, then a win in the last group match to put us into the Europa. From there we romped to our second successive final, only losing once before two late goals (with a Cautious mentality!) saw us beat Atletico Madrid in the final.

So now it's on to the 24/25 season. I have one eye on Frankie de Jong to flesh out my midfield, but otherwise I have a near-complete team and am blooding a couple of real prospects from the youth team. I'll keep watching this topic for updates, for sure!

A few thoughts that may (or may not) help folks with this tactic, based on my own experiences:

Rotate if you can, rest if you must - Player fitness is important. Try and avoid starting anyone under 95% fitness, and certainly no more than 1 or 2.

Shouts - Demand More and Get Creative almost always fire up your players. In one match, "Get Creative" had my right back charge forward from the halfway line, break into the box and backheel it to my right winger for a goal. In that same match "Demand More" saw my left back leather one in from the corner of the box. They work - not every time you hit them, but they keep the players' heads up, and keep them on the front foot. Start with Demand More on 5 minutes (shouts don't seem to have any effect in the opening minutes, in my experience), then every 10 minutes thereafter alternate the two shouts. "Praise" is best saved for a 2+ goal lead - and I only then use it late in a half, when there's less chance of my team growing complacent!

Team Talks - Assertive seems to work best for post-match team talks, although I'll go aggressive after a poor loss. I sometimes use Assertive for the team as a whole at half-time when the performance has been okay, or thereabouts, and Aggressive seems too harsh. If your pre-match team talk doesn't get results, you can use the Defence/Midfield/Attack buttons to quickly target units of the team together, which I'm sure was well known to everyone, but had escaped my attention for goodness knows how many years until I noticed it this last week!

Edited by Majick

8 hours ago, Majick said:

Erling Haaland was top scorer with 19 - but that did include 8 penalties. Harry Kane had 14 goals, including 5 penalties. They shared the sole striker role, with Haaland's complaining getting him just over half the starts.

Wingers delivered 52 goals and 27 assists

You have a similar problem to me, two really good strikers for one position, and your wingers seem to be doing great so you can't even use Haaland out there as an IF.

I did use this tactic briefly and it worked well.
My issue is that I not only have two excellent strikers but another not far behind them. I might have been able to use one of them as an IF but not both as I'd then have my wingers moaning about not playing.
I also don't have a great option for DM.

So, Mr Fuss, thanks for this tactic - there's nothing wrong with it at all - but I'm back with my 4-4-2 for the time being.

@FuSS You've done it again you absolute diamond! I switched to v1.1 with about 12 games to go in my second season as Arsenal boss & went on to win the Champions League & finish 2nd against all odds. I don't think I would have done it if I hadn't switched, thank you. 

Funnily enough I switched from one of your FM19 tactics! 

Also mate on a side note, I notice you're from Norwich, I grew up in Ipswich so actually we should be enemies, haha (not lived there for over 15 years now though as London is my home)

Thanks again dude :thup:

15 hours ago, Majick said:

End of my second season as Spurs using this tactic, and after switching to v1.1 around November my team picked up the pace, improving from narrow wins with some draws to comfortable wins in most matches, we ended up winning the PL with 4 games to spare, beating out a Liverpool side that remains strong even at the end of the 23/24 season. There weren't many crushing wins domestically, but a 2 or 3 goal is nothing to be sneezed at - and there was a very pleasing 5-1 shellacking of Man City in there, even if they did struggle this season!

Wingers delivered 52 goals and 27 assists, and another 10 and 31(!) from fullback - Max Aarons managed 12 assists just on his own. Aarons was my POTY, and I feel like most of his assists came from 1-2s with the right winger. For me the left and right wingers seemed to assist each other a lot, with whipped crosses from one to the back post being picked up by their opposite number often enough for me to make note of it. Craglyboy noted his success rate for crossing for the season was below 10% - for my team it was 22%, so a significant difference there.

The DM/AP/MEZ trio had 32 goals and 27 assists across the six players who rotated there, plus Martin Odegaard who had 6 and 10 by January before Bayern offered £60m for a player who joined on a Bosman and, well, let's just say Daniel Levy has rubbed off on me.

My team had both the best attack *and* the best defence in the league. 88 for, and just 21 against, 31 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats (to Chelsea under v1, then in the return match under v1.1 and then bizarrely to Brighton in a match where we got FM'd). I can't claim that this is all down to the tactic - I have players like Coman, Sancho and de Ligt in the team, although I also still have 10 players who're in the Spurs squad on day one, including Kane, Winks, Skipp, Dier. I can only buy one £90m player per window, after all!

Elsewhere we went out of both the FA and League Cups at the QF stage, producing curiously limp performances against Man City and Palace. We never got going in the Champions League - 4 draws and a loss in our first 5 matches, then a win in the last group match to put us into the Europa. From there we romped to our second successive final, only losing once before two late goals (with a Cautious mentality!) saw us beat Atletico Madrid in the final.

So now it's on to the 24/25 season. I have one eye on Frankie de Jong to flesh out my midfield, but otherwise I have a near-complete team and am blooding a couple of real prospects from the youth team. I'll keep watching this topic for updates, for sure!

A few thoughts that may (or may not) help folks with this tactic, based on my own experiences:

Rotate if you can, rest if you must - Player fitness is important. Try and avoid starting anyone under 95% fitness, and certainly no more than 1 or 2.

Shouts - Demand More and Get Creative almost always fire up your players. In one match, "Get Creative" had my right back charge forward from the halfway line, break into the box and backheel it to my right winger for a goal. In that same match "Demand More" saw my left back leather one in from the corner of the box. They work - not every time you hit them, but they keep the players' heads up, and keep them on the front foot. Start with Demand More on 5 minutes (shouts don't seem to have any effect in the opening minutes, in my experience), then every 10 minutes thereafter alternate the two shouts. "Praise" is best saved for a 2+ goal lead - and I only then use it late in a half, when there's less chance of my team growing complacent!

Team Talks - Assertive seems to work best for post-match team talks, although I'll go aggressive after a poor loss. I sometimes use Assertive for the team as a whole at half-time when the performance has been okay, or thereabouts, and Aggressive seems too harsh. If your pre-match team talk doesn't get results, you can use the Defence/Midfield/Attack buttons to quickly target units of the team together, which I'm sure was well known to everyone, but had escaped my attention for goodness knows how many years until I noticed it this last week!

Thanks so much for this.

Great to see some excellent and considered feedback.

Glad your team is doing well - I agree that rotation is absolutely vital, I think it's actually a bit of a bug in the game as to just how effective it can be,

6 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

You have a similar problem to me, two really good strikers for one position, and your wingers seem to be doing great so you can't even use Haaland out there as an IF.

I did use this tactic briefly and it worked well.
My issue is that I not only have two excellent strikers but another not far behind them. I might have been able to use one of them as an IF but not both as I'd then have my wingers moaning about not playing.
I also don't have a great option for DM.

So, Mr Fuss, thanks for this tactic - there's nothing wrong with it at all - but I'm back with my 4-4-2 for the time being.

Appreciate the feedback, glad it worked well for you - I rotate heavily so can accommodate 2 strikers, but you;re right there's no call for more than 2.

15 minutes ago, WillyBroadband said:

@FuSS You've done it again you absolute diamond! I switched to v1.1 with about 12 games to go in my second season as Arsenal boss & went on to win the Champions League & finish 2nd against all odds. I don't think I would have done it if I hadn't switched, thank you. 

Funnily enough I switched from one of your FM19 tactics! 

Also mate on a side note, I notice you're from Norwich, I grew up in Ipswich so actually we should be enemies, haha (not lived there for over 15 years now though as London is my home)

Thanks again dude :thup:

Glad to hear it, congrats.

I actually still "boo" loudly whenever I'm driving through Suffolk and see the "Suffolk County" road signs....the missus jumps every time.

I tried your tactic. Most possesion came from corners, throw ins and free kicks. Otherwise i got hundreds of passes away from my opponents. Of course my team won 0-6 but its a throw 8 players up front set up. I liked though how the PF was holding for the Mez(a) to burst in the box. He got a perfect assist from the IF at the right.

Update - 1.2

I've dropped the defensive line by 1 notch.

Contrary to popular belief this will help the team to score more goals by creating more space and encouraging the opposition to not keep all 11 men boxed up behind the ball.

FuSS - thanks for your tactics.   I've always found you to have a better execution of a similar philosophy of football to FM.  

Question - What is your thinking about the forward 5 (ST, IFs, AP & Mezz) on Tackle Harder individual instructions?   I've always set players with lower Tackling Attributes to Ease off Tackles figuring their low Tackling Attribute would make them not only less effective at tackling, but also more likely to get beat by player with ball, not mention picking up cards and injuries.   

A few thoughts on OIs

I have found Opposition Instructions to be very powerful.  But a time consuming task to do well.  

I ALWAYS set Opposition wingers to Close Down Always (or whatever the most attacking flank strata is - AMR/L, MR/ML, WBR/L)

I NEVER give a high closing down instruction to STs or AMc - nothing galls me more than DCs stepping out of position to close down a ST who drops deep or wide, or even worse stepping out of position to close down a AMC and leaving a gaping hole in central defense.  Even IF closing down ST and AMC would be statistically favorable (not suggesting that it is)...the emotional pain of conceding that way outweighs any potential benefit. I HATE when central defenders vacate the 

Flank players whose weaker foot is outside ALWAYS get Shown to Weaker Foot (all except Either footedness) 

Any opposition with Right/Left Only are Shown to Weaker Foot

STs with Right/Left foot also usually  get shown to Weaker Foot.  The exception is players who I fear their penetrating with dribble more than their shooting. 

Low Bravery players set to Tackle Harder.   When one of my player picks up a yellow card Individual Instructions to Ease up on Tackles.

The exception to Tackle Harder for low Bravery opposition is quick,high dribbling, flair players.  I dont want to let those players evade a tackle attempt and be able to penetrate the defensive shape.

Hi @FuSS - just thought you’d be interested to know I removed all the TIs for my Huddersfield side predicted 10th.

i just used the roles and duties and changed mentality depending on the opposition (plus occasionally dropping d line when using POSITIVE)

I’ve played 13 games, won 10, drawn 2 lost 1.

So at least for my side it works without any TIs or PIs!

thanks for a great tactic.