91B1FCC3-640F-4B32-B904-A5A8A4B76DB1.thumb.jpeg.039c52892c6f591fab241796c8c468a4.jpegHi Folks,

I’m currently playing a game of FM19 with Rangers. I’m in my 4th season and I’ve finished 2nd in the league in the previous 3 seasons. I tend to fall 20-30 points behind Celtic each season.

So I tend to find I go on a good run at the start of the season , morale gets as high as it can and my players are looking motivated. 

This season I lost my form after a game to Hibs. I beat them 5-1 in the cup semi final (with complete domination) and then directly after I played them in the league at home and lost 1-0 in a pretty even game.  My form is now in a LWLWLW fashion. A couple of games later I played Motherwell who were 11th in the league and lost 1-0 in a pretty even game( morale then crashed down to Okay). 

My players always respond well to team talks and direct player interaction (praise or criticism) and I’m not seeing any signs of complacency.

Does this issue seem to be related to a tactical flaw or the mental state (morale and confidence) of my team?  I’m confused how the performance of my whole team can just drop so suddenly then I struggle to get past in games which I would have eased through. 

Any feedback would be great. 

399050BD-D1EC-4E25-A20F-F803FB0D0DB9.jpeg

I'm not the most experienced tactician here, but based on your screen shot I think the biggest issue is a lack of defensive cover, and some contradictory TI's. 

The forwards are all on attack duty so they won't support the defense much, even more so on the left side you have the FB on attack as well who will also be going forward towards the same space the AML will. Together with two BBM in the centre that will also be pushing forward when in possession, you'll only have 3 players behind the ball when the opposition are on a counter, your left flank even open completely.

To have more defensive cover, I'd change the AML to support duty (perhaps even another role that will bring him more towards the centre of the pitch), and the MCL to a defensive role. They can then both offer support when the LB runs forward. 

Not sure why you have BBM at all when there's an AM in front of them though, aren't they all moving towards the same space when in possession? Might want to rethink the role of the MCR as well. 

You have 'Distribute to playmaker' but you don't have any playmaker. 

Also your set-up is relying heavily on crosses (wingers and FB on attack, play down left/right) but you have TI WBIB which is contradictory. 

Solid advice from Gianni, you're not defensively sound at all and a lot of those TI's make absolutely no sense. I think you need to start from scratch and really analyse your match plan. The tactic you have now is very cross heavy and one-dimensional. Because you're a big team in Scotland you probably get away with it sometimes but eventually team will sit, soak and hit you on the counter quite easily.

To help I think you need to post some pics of your players as we have no idea what they are good at.

3 hours ago, stevie_boy said:

399050BD-D1EC-4E25-A20F-F803FB0D0DB9.jpeg

A very unbalanced setup of roles and duties, that's my first and most obvious impression. Which is even more pronounced in an inherently tricky top-heavy system such as 4231. 

Instructions are no less problematic. And btw, what's the idea behind the "Distribute to playmaker" instruction when you don't even have a playmaker in the system ???

Thanks for all the feedback. I definitely need to look at tweaking my TIs. I have been so convinced morale and motivational aspects cause my blips in form that I haven’t looked at my roles and instructions in enough depth. 

I think you all agree my tactics are responsible and my ups and downs and can be related to player form on the day. So when my players don’t play great, the weaknesses in the tactic are really exposed. 

One of my friends mentioned I’m not playing any players in their most suitable role and this is something else I need to look into. 

In the past I’ve always played with a BWM in MCL and been a bit more stable. I just don’t have a suitable player for that role right now.

This is a formation where my AMC struggles to play and I was never sure why. I guess all his space is being taken by the BBMs. 

I’ve got enough points here to take a step back and rebuild my tactic. 

8 minutes ago, stevie_boy said:

I definitely need to look at tweaking my TIs

Roles and duties in the first place, as they are more problematic than TIs in your tactic overall. 

9 minutes ago, stevie_boy said:

One of my friends mentioned I’m not playing any players in their most suitable role and this is something else I need to look into. 

In the past I’ve always played with a BWM in MCL and been a bit more stable. I just don’t have a suitable player for that role right now

How do you determine a suitable player for a role - by looking at his player attributes or the (green) circle of "role suitability" suggested by the game? This is an area where a lot of people tend to make mistakes, that's why I am asking.

Btw, BWM in a system like 4231 may not be the best idea, due to the role's very aggressive manner of defending. He is not a holding midfielder in the real sense of the word, even if he nominally is. 

What major issues do you see with the roles and duties? 

In terms of role suitability, I am talking about the green circle. 

A BWM in a defensive role must work better than a BBM for this? 

29 minutes ago, stevie_boy said:

In terms of role suitability, I am talking about the green circle

You better look at player attributes. The circle can (sometimes) be misleading. 

30 minutes ago, stevie_boy said:

A BWM in a defensive role must work better than a BBM for this?

Compared to BBM - yes. But given that this is a 4231 (and not 4123 for example), a BWM is more risky than CM on defend duty (or DLP). 

32 minutes ago, stevie_boy said:

What major issues do you see with the roles and duties? 

- the lack of a holding midfielder (which is especially problematic in this particular type of formation - top-heavy and without a DM)

- both wide forwards on attack duty (leaving the fullbacks to do too much defensive work on their own)

- on the left flank you even have both wide players (winger and fullback) on attack duty (and remember, we are here talking about the 4231 formation)

- needlessly risky out-of-possession instructions (get stuck in coupled with a high D-line)

- inconsistency between team instructions (asking players to work ball into the box while at the same using cross-heavy roles on both flanks + focusing play down the flanks + wide att width)

- potential isolation of the lone striker (AF generally tends to struggle for space when played as a lone striker, and even more so in this aggressive types of tactics)

- distribution to playmaker in a setup with no playmaker (already mentioned)

- hold shape in transition (really hard to figure out the reasoning behind this instruction)