Need a new English Club

I  am driving myself mental in trying to find that goldilocks club for a long term save, i have gotten really picky lately and can't seem to settle on anyone. 

The main thing that i keep looking for is the fans, for example i really fancied Blackburn, good stadium, lovely kit and a bit of history, but you look at there games and the stadium is desolate, despite being in Championship and not going to badly they don't seem a very loyal bunch so i can't get behind them

Then i tried Portsmouth, they tick most boxes and should be perfect for what i am looking for but the Cockney accent and the abuse they give to there own players(not all fans but they have had previous form) again isn't for me

I prefer the northern/ Yorkshire salt of the earth type really, Bradford is one i am considering but again they have such a huge City they are bound to get big attendances, so what i am after  is like a Burnley where it's a small/med city but they still have a strong core fanbase

Any Suggestions?

Edited by Bilbaoboy

My suggestion?

If you decide not to start a save with a specific team, don't make rash generalisations about the people of that town/city as a reason not to play with that team.  I will give you the chance to edit your post

7 minutes ago, FrazT said:

My suggestion?

If you decide not to start a save with a specific team, don't make rash generalisations about the people of that town/city as a reason not to play with that team.  I will give you the chance to edit your post

Which part? that they have an accent? how is that a generalization?

You know full well what I was talking about:  this part

"the people of Portsmouth it self put me off, the Cockney ish accent and the abuse they give to there own players again isn't for me" 

You don't think that this is a generalisation about the people of a town?  You are not going to choose a Portsmouth save on FM because of the local accent?

20 minutes ago, FrazT said:

"the people of Portsmouth it self put me off, the Cockney ish accent and the abuse they give to there own players again isn't for me" 

You don't think that this is a generalisation about the people of a town?  You are not going to choose a Portsmouth save on FM because of the local accent?

It is not a generalization to say a town speak with a certain accent, it is not a a generalization to say people from Newcastle have a Geordy accent is it?

all i said was it is not for my taste, not because there is anything wrong with Cockney's but because i don't do London clubs because i prefer the smaller underdog Cities and Portsmouth reminds me too much of London, nothing personal.

Also the thing about abusing the players is true i have been on their forums and they openly admit this, again not the majority but enough to turn me off

Anyhow i have edited the post now

Edited by Bilbaoboy

1 hour ago, Valleyg said:

Ha ha, Portsmouth, cockneys? You do know cockneys are specific to east London, right? That's a bit like saying people from Newcastle speak with a Scottish accent. In other words, you are talking nonsense.

That's exactly my point, they are miles away on the south coast yet speak in a mockney accent, bit odd.

Coventry are one i've considered love there badge and kit but they don't have a stadium. 

I am thinking Middlesbrough, promote there own youth players, good local owner, kits a bit meh and red but i might be able to get past that

Like the idea of Carlisle as well right up in the middle of nowhere, poor fans have to trek hundereds of miles

Can't do Peterbrough because Adrian Duhram supports them

1 hour ago, Warman2018 said:

Donaster

Donny isn't a bad shout either, i like Yorkshire the best and they are a decent smallish club

Only thing is i hear that Doncaster and Rotherham have more Leeds and Sheffield fans than their own

Edited by Bilbaoboy

10 minutes ago, Bilbaoboy said:

Donny isn't a bad shout either, i like Yorkshire the best and they are a decent smallish club

Only thing is i hear that Doncaster and Rotherham have more Leeds and Sheffield fans than their own

i started a donny save and they are good fun mate, not a bad team but need some decent signings

11 hours ago, Bilbaoboy said:

i have gotten really picky lately and can't seem to settle on anyone. 

You weren't joking were you...

To be honest, some of the comments you have made in this thread, I don't think a lot of clubs would want you to be managing them anyway!

Just start unemployed and apply for jobs until you get one.

16 hours ago, Anthony Kenna said:

You weren't joking were you...

To be honest, some of the comments you have made in this thread, I don't think a lot of clubs would want you to be managing them anyway!

Just start unemployed and apply for jobs until you get one.

It is true, maybe i have become a little bit disillusioned lately but if you notice by my name, i fell in love with Athletic Club a few years back because i think they are a Club/City that have it right, and i know they are a very extreme case but i don't think it's that much to ask for,

The only English teams off the top of my head who would be similar are Probably Newcastle, Pompey Leeds and Millwall where there is like a blind faith and close knit community and the Football is almost secondary

Most Club fans support is conditional on success levels or performance, you see them sell come out for Cup finals and big games but not week after week so clearly the numbers are there but there isn't the same connection or interest and i am always keen to know why one town with a polulation of x hundred thousand attracts only small percentage of stadium capacity and other places with he same number or smaller numbers of population sell out. What makes those particular people more involved?

But there great examples going back to Portsmouth despite what i said about the accent, where you have to respect their support because despite the score or division they are in 20000 will turn up every home game and create a buzzing atmosphere, that's pride and character

Just want to know if there are any overlooked smallish clubs with a similar fan base that's all

Edited by Bilbaoboy

Hi,

Also seeking a new english club, thought about Portsmouth but also don't like them... When they where in Premier I didn't like then (and there was portuguese players there).

Thought about Sunderland, but owner and to sell the club.

Want a lower leage "big giant" to climb easy to Premier, and with money to buy players. Think that just Sunderland is like this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/03/2020 at 03:54, FrazT said:

Not only that, but the original poster doesn't even know that people from Portsmouth aren't cockneys.

First pick in what division you want to start, then user Pick a team for me feature and commit for whatever club the game give you first time in that division. this is my trick to choose club if I dont know what team to play

Example, I want to start in VNL, then I just pick team until the game give VNL club and that is the club

Oxford United.

Have history in the top-division (the old 'First Division' pre-Premier League).

Big stadium with room for development... well a fourth-stand maybe?

Good looking kit?

Also not fans of Portsmouth?

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/03/2020 at 22:20, pedromanuelpinto said:

Hi,

Also seeking a new english club, thought about Portsmouth but also don't like them... When they where in Premier I didn't like then (and there was portuguese players there).

Thought about Sunderland, but owner and to sell the club.

Want a lower leage "big giant" to climb easy to Premier, and with money to buy players. Think that just Sunderland is like this.

I started a Sunderland save i couldn't help feeling sorry them, but they aren't glamorous enough, plus i did't like it when there fans stopped showing up and stadium looked empty in the play off semi all because they were sulking at not getting automatic

Might get in the editor and bring Celtic down, best badge, best kit, best fans, god fearing folk, Classy Club

48 minutes ago, Bilbaoboy said:

I started a Sunderland save i couldn't help feeling sorry them, but they aren't glamorous enough, plus i did't like it when there fans stopped showing up and stadium looked empty in the play off semi all because they were sulking at not getting automatic

Might get in the editor and bring Celtic down, best badge, best kit, best fans, god fearing folk, Classy Club

I get the feeling you're never going to settle and/or be happy at a club for very long. 

Your job as a manager isn't to be unhappy when fans don't show up due to your own failures, but to change the club's fortunes and bring those fans back. See it as excitement and a challenge!

Good luck :thup:

55 minutes ago, RHKC said:

I get the feeling you're never going to settle and/or be happy at a club for very long. 

Your job as a manager isn't to be unhappy when fans don't show up due to your own failures, but to change the club's fortunes and bring those fans back. See it as excitement and a challenge!

Good luck :thup:

I was talking about real life, i re watched the netflix series and when the chips were down they never showed up, Newcastle sold out every week in the championship. 

But i am too fussy on the game now, i need a support base that are loyal and deserve some success, there are teams with big fan bases but if the club was once a giant then i think they gained those fans in first place because of the success not because it's your local club. I need a team where the whole town supports them even if they are crap. Not a team where most of the City support Liverpool or Man Utd

1 hour ago, Bilbaoboy said:

I was talking about real life, i re watched the netflix series and when the chips were down they never showed up, Newcastle sold out every week in the championship. 

But i am too fussy on the game now, i need a support base that are loyal and deserve some success, there are teams with big fan bases but if the club was once a giant then i think they gained those fans in first place because of the success not because it's your local club. I need a team where the whole town supports them even if they are crap. Not a team where most of the City support Liverpool or Man Utd

Burnley.