How many seasons does your save last?

How many seasons does your save last?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How many seasons does your save last?

• 0-3
    • 4-7
    • 8-11
    • 12-15
    • 16-19
    • 20+

I keep thinking that I will stop and start a new save, but never do, so about 200-250- hours per version equating to about 5-7 seasons. I would, however, spend more time on the game is I wasn't patrolling on the forums though.:brock:

39 minutes ago, FrazT said:

I keep thinking that I will stop and start a new save, but never do, so about 200-250- hours per version equating to about 5-7 seasons. I would, however, spend more time on the game is I wasn't patrolling on the forums though.:brock:

With the same team usually?

I always stick with one team. Changing clubs would come with a lot of annoying tasks that you usually don't have to deal with regularly if you stick to one club, like setting up your staff, but most importantly getting to know your team. I voted 16-19 seasons, that's how far into it I usually get before it gets repetitive. I'm a little more than halfway there with Everton in FM20. I hope I don't get bored this time as I'm really liking my save and team so far.

26 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

With the same team usually?

Yes- it has been a few version now since I tried a different save- I suspect if I plied longer, I would get bored but because I only play so much, I tend to stick with the one team

It's since FM18 I can't complete one single season. And not because of time, but because of frustration. I used to play for 10-20 seasons before but now it is simply not possible for me to accept all the non-sense I regularly see in the ME for more than 6 months.

Then I take 1 week of break, start a new save because I love the game and for some reason I think "it'll be different now, it was my tactic/training I just suck at this game", but no.

And this goes forever until the next FM.

53 minutes ago, Norfair said:

I always stick with one team. Changing clubs would come with a lot of annoying tasks that you usually don't have to deal with regularly if you stick to one club, like setting up your staff, but most importantly getting to know your team. I voted 16-19 seasons, that's how far into it I usually get before it gets repetitive. I'm a little more than halfway there with Everton in FM20. I hope I don't get bored this time as I'm really liking my save and team so far.

Totally get this. I love journeyman saves but it gets frustrating when you have to re-do staff all the time. On top of that, you sign all the best wonderkids for one team and then have to start from scratch with another :D 

2 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

How come? Not enjoying as much?

Absolutely not. I find this year's version to be an abomination. The ME is, and continues to be, awful despite the patches IMO. As far as I am concerned, this year's version proves the adage that you can roll a turd in glitter but you can't make it smell any better. All the prettying up of the UI and the added bells and whistles of the Development Centre mean nothing to me if the core of the game; i.e. how your team plays in response to your tactics and decisions, look absolutely dog egg. I sincerely hope this year forces SI into an honest evaluation of where they are going with the series and perhaps makes them rethink the decisions to prioritise pointless UI 'improvements' over core functionality.

But that's my opinion - I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me it's fine and that it's my tactics...

Depends from version to version, however since FM Classic was introudced in FM13, I always have at least one save on that mode as well as the full game. For FM20, I played 3 seasons on my Classic Beta save, and I'm 2.5 seasons into my Classic journeyman save at the moment. In the main game, my beta save lasted 3 seasons, and I'm in the 4th season of my main save, which has also (inadvertently) turned into a journeyman save!!

So, that's almost 13 seasons done. Just split across various scenarios

Just finished the 2044 season, 4 clubs inc 1 national job and currently with Liverpool for 13 of those years. My manager is aged 69 so a couple more seasons as the all conquering legend that is I (puffs chest out) then I'll retire him and just carry on with either his son and do a LLM or just use that save to edit the living heck out of it! :lol: Or start a new save with the yet to be tried out transfer updates.

Generally 20+ but I will happily move clubs, normally after achieving success of whatever description depending on the club I'm at and what becomes available/offered.

I can get distracted by new custom databases on Steam though so I currently have 4 open games saved.

FM18 I only had one save file all game life and managed 47 seasons, that was moving around though.

1 hour ago, Ragged Rascal said:

I usually stop when there's too many regens. 

This is actually me. If I stay at one club then it's OK, but like after 5 seasons I moved to Marseille and realised other than Rongier, Sanson and Kamara, all the players had changed. No Payet, no Mandanda, no Benedetto, it kinda sucked the joy out for me. Would rather just start over at that point. 

I was in it for the long haul with my Beta Birmingham City save (long haul to me is about 6-8 seasons given work/family commitments) however the board screwed me out of that one so only lasted 3.

I just finished a season with Watford where I somehow managed to come 3rd and completely overhauled the squad, however despite the success it doesn't feel right. I have put that to one side, started a new full save with Birmingham City with the update, plus a side save on FM Touch on the Switch with Braga.

In old FMs I would go up to 15 seasons or even higher. Had instances where I would manage a youngster until his career end. In one edition (not sure what but years ago) I had Javier Pastore playing 16 years for me in Real Madrid, even felt quite emotional on his very last game before retirement.

On more recent FMs I am averaging 3 seasons per save. Not proud of it, but always reached a point where I felt to start anew, no matter how good things were (and sometimes, exactly because everything went so good it became boring).

Finally at FM20 I'm trying to revert back to "old ways", using the changes this last version implemented like club vision. At my current save I am at 5th season and enjoying, we'll see how long it lasts...

If it's a one club save then usually about 15 seasons but if it's a globe trotter club hopper save then that will keep going until I get to a top club, I then manage them for about 15 seasons or until if I win back to back / multiple champions League titles.

Finding the next diamond, developing them and shaping them into the next star is far more enjoyable than scouting real players to me, so it's not a regen/newgen issue. But since the AI isn't too challenging but only mostly frustrating, generally it takes me around a decade to take a club from a fairly small European country and get them to win the Champions' League. After that, you dominate so easily that there's little point going on if you don't switch clubs... or confederations altogether. But you can't go in too small a country either, or in a country with too many transfer restrictions because factors like Youth Rating, wages, taxes, interest in the game and so on are fixed in the database and therefore limit how good or poor a country can become over a long period of time. The same goes for continental competitions: no matter what happens, you can't get say, the Asian Champions' League on par in terms of Reputation as even the Libertadores. :onmehead:

So yeah, about a decade or so if staying at a single club. Beyond that, FM actually becomes unrealistic, where countries whose profile you have improved by a lot still remain unattractive dungholes (for lack of a better term) because the database says so. Other AI clubs are completely unable to compete with you even if you don't actively try to screw them up by say, ruining the morale of their locker room with transfer rumours. :lol:

There simply are a lot of things in FM that work for the short or medium term (5 to 10 years), but can really destroy your suspension of disbelief if you play for long enough. And that's why to me, FM isn't a simulation.

Edited by BMNJohn

5 hours ago, 99 said:

In old FMs I would go up to 15 seasons or even higher. Had instances where I would manage a youngster until his career end. In one edition (not sure what but years ago) I had Javier Pastore playing 16 years for me in Real Madrid, even felt quite emotional on his very last game before retirement.

On more recent FMs I am averaging 3 seasons per save. Not proud of it, but always reached a point where I felt to start anew, no matter how good things were (and sometimes, exactly because everything went so good it became boring).

Finally at FM20 I'm trying to revert back to "old ways", using the changes this last version implemented like club vision. At my current save I am at 5th season and enjoying, we'll see how long it lasts...

Do you usually stay at one club? 

1 hora atrás, Travis Bickle disse:

Do you usually stay at one club? 

I play both ways... but, funny enough, my longest saves were at only one club yes.

Now I'm experimenting a journeyman...

Edited by 99

13 hours ago, sorrenmills said:

Absolutely not. I find this year's version to be an abomination. The ME is, and continues to be, awful despite the patches IMO. As far as I am concerned, this year's version proves the adage that you can roll a turd in glitter but you can't make it smell any better. All the prettying up of the UI and the added bells and whistles of the Development Centre mean nothing to me if the core of the game; i.e. how your team plays in response to your tactics and decisions, look absolutely dog egg. I sincerely hope this year forces SI into an honest evaluation of where they are going with the series and perhaps makes them rethink the decisions to prioritise pointless UI 'improvements' over core functionality.

But that's my opinion - I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me it's fine and that it's my tactics...

I agree with this, it reminds me of the old fifa vs Pro Evo debate, fifa had the licences the be a pro online team and all the greater options and was the more popular, but i think most agree that Fifa game play has always been clunky and Pro Evo was the better drive

It hurts me because i have been a heavy player since 08 but at 18 there was a leap and while i think a lot of the new additions look great and  would thoroughly enjoy team hirachies ect

But when it gets down to it Game Day is spolied because it's unwatchable. you get 2 choices either door number 1 the new and hugely  regressed 2d classic (the only way to view imo)  or the crappy Super lite anorexic Fifa style which just highlights even more that you are playing a game, with 2d it feels more of a sim and you can use your imagination more

So unfortunately i am stuck on 17 still the last great version imo until i get word that SI have brought back the 2D Classic as it was

The stubbornness and arrogance when i have seen these points brought up initially, along with the new plug and play tactics for dummies makes me wonder if they are dumbing down the game slightly to be more accessible which is fair enough i suppose but its selling out and the hardcore players will see through it 

So with all that said 17 is sadly drying up a little for me because i have been everyone and know most of the players, but what i have started doing is having a self imposed transfer policy in same vein as Athletic club, We can get to Prem with a Championship club and get our 30 mill budget and 60 mill the season after go to Benfica or somewhere and by top class player with 17 dribbling and win Prem in 2/3 years. But now i try do build a squad of players local to the town/city and after that the region ect so i am always handicapped because the challenge comes when you have a decent player but your not quite getting there so the temptation is there to go spend the money abroad, 

Once i have done that i feel guilty and usually quit not to long after

Edited by Bilbaoboy

• 4 weeks later...

As many as I can before I get a new version.

When I was young, I would often play 30+ seasons per version.

My current save is on FM18 and I'm nearing the end of my fourth season. Marriage and children wreck your FM time though I wouldn't swap them for anything. :)