FM20 Performance Benchmarking Thread

13 hours ago, mantorras77 said:

Thanks! Ok how about CPU's, do only high single thread cpu's matter or does FM21 take advantage of multi-core cpu's?

It depends on how much detail you use

if you look at the benchmarking scores you can see that a modern high frequency CPU fares better than one with more cores on the first 2 benchmarks which are the most typical use case

Processors with more cores do better in the third benchmark because I’ve turned on full detail a number of active leagues.  I very much doubt many people would do that though

FM21 scores will be interesting though as people are reporting that the game feels quicker so kudos to SI for that

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, ajt said:

Certainly does feel quicker, although I'm yet to actually time it. I imagine your beast of a PC (you had the i7 or i9 right?) will breeze through it :D

The save function (I use fortnightly autosave) is noticeably faster for sure though.

Indeed I do, I have the i9 9900k, and yes the game feels so smooth :)

Saving is awesome now, like really quick! I'm not sure how they have improved it so much?

Just now, Gee_Simpson said:

Saving is awesome now, like really quick! I'm not sure how they have improved it so much?

no idea mate it's like a rabbit out of a hat, I thought it would depend on your hard drive if anything but I still have the same old SSD as last year.

I have far more playable leagues loaded than last year, and in 2024 the game runs the same as it did the moment I booted it up. Really impressed, the only time I get a slight slow down is at the transfer windows which is to be expected.

Hi EdL,

I cant afford a new laptop, until next year that is, and im still running with an i5 Core 1.7 HP Pav with only 4g RAM. NVDIA dedicated gforce820m. Until last year it run well, played with the 3d graphs with no issues, between matches it wasnt that fast but was managable with medium database. With the upload of minimium from 2 to 4gb im worried it will ruin the experience if i buy it? What would you reckon? tx mate

7 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I agree with you - the speed improvements are amazing.......whatever optimising they've done, both in game and load/save, has made a massive difference.

Edited by gothenburg83

13 minutes ago, SCG88 said:

Hi EdL,

I cant afford a new laptop, until next year that is, and im still running with an i5 Core 1.7 HP Pav with only 4g RAM. NVDIA dedicated gforce820m. Until last year it run well, played with the 3d graphs with no issues, between matches it wasnt that fast but was managable with medium database. With the upload of minimium from 2 to 4gb im worried it will ruin the experience if i buy it? What would you reckon? tx mate

Honestly it'll be fine, i'm running it on a windows tablet and this years version is quicker than ever.  Just don't expect miracles.

Best advice is to wait for the demo, its only 10 days away and then you'll know for sure

11 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Processors with more cores do better in the third benchmark because I’ve turned on full detail a number of active leagues.  I very much doubt many people would do that though

I play with every league in the world on full detail. Even youth leagues.

Sometimes my “Saturday” takes 30 or more minutes to sim with 800% CPU usage. I try to time it with eating dinner or taking a shower 😀

Very curious to see how the new Apple M1 does on that 3rd benchmark, would love to get that new Mac mini and get rid of my MacBook Pro.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

Just upgraded to a Ryzen 5950x from a 3900x. I didn’t imagine there would be a massive improvement For FM. But on benchmark C the time dropped from 4:59 to 3:13. I will re do the other tests in a bit but I’m blown away! 

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, jonpt said:

Just upgraded to a Ryzen 5950x from a 3900x. I didn’t imagine there would be a massive improvement For FM. But on benchmark C the time dropped from 4:59 to 3:13. I will re do the other tests in a bit but I’m blown away! 

You have more cores there so that is somewhat expected. More interesting would be the A & B tests which are more about single threaded speed

27 minutes ago, EdL said:

You have more cores there so that is somewhat expected. More interesting would be the A & B tests which are more about single threaded speed

True, I was surprised by the uplift from the 3950x on this post too. It’s 1:10 faster than it’s predecessor. I would have been happy if it was 30s faster than a 3950x

Type: Desktop

CPU Model:Ryzen 9 5950x

CPU Base Frequency: 3.6GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.9GHz

RAM: 32gb (2x16gb)

RAM Clockspeed: 3600MHz CL16

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080s 8gb

Storage Type: NVME Corsair Force MP510  960gb

Benchmark A: 43s

Benchmark B: 4 min 20s

Benchmark C: 3 min 13s

5 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

I play with every league in the world on full detail. Even youth leagues.

Sometimes my “Saturday” takes 30 or more minutes to sim with 800% CPU usage. I try to time it with eating dinner or taking a shower 😀

Very curious to see how the new Apple M1 does on that 3rd benchmark, would love to get that new Mac mini and get rid of my MacBook Pro.

That's the kind of dedication I like to see!

16 minutes ago, jonpt said:

WOW I mean WOW !  Amazing scores.

AMD takes the crown at the death. 

I'll be interested to see how the new Ryzen 5 & 7's do but i'm guessing it's looking bleak for Intel even on single threaded apps like FM

Edited by Brother Ben

1 hour ago, jonpt said:

Very impressive, about 20% better single threaded performance compared to the i9 9900k, having just got an i9 9900k in my desktop recently the performance from that ryzen chip makes me quite envious. What will be even more interesting is how the ryzen 5 5600x performs as I hear it even beats an i9 in single threaded performance.

Edited by Truegunner

1 hour ago, Brother Ben said:

That's the kind of dedication I like to see!

Looks like 411,000 players. Estimated game speed is 0.5 stars and that's with 5 star computer performance :-)

So far FM20, I have 150 days and 11 hours of game time. I leave it on most of the time so that's not really accurate as it counts time when I am asleep, etc. I started this save back May 9 and I'm finishing up the 2025-26 season today/tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Looks like 411,000 players. Estimated game speed is 0.5 stars and that's with 5 star computer performance :-)

So far FM20, I have 150 days and 11 hours of game time. I leave it on most of the time so that's not really accurate as it counts time when I am asleep, etc. I started this save back May 9 and I'm finishing up the 2025-26 season today/tomorrow.

Funny thing is you definitely aren't alone, there's lots that play the same way as you.  The ultimate immersion I guess.

The beauty of FM is you can do the exact opposite and use an instant results skin.  Something for everyone

The spreadsheet and Post 2 are now updated for possibly the last time for FM20.

DOWNLOAD SPREADSHEET HERE

Just want to say a big thanks to all those who did the benchmarks especially @quqlock and @simonstocker14 who dedicated well over an hour of their lives to it!  Excellent work guys.

FM21 Benchmark thread will be starting shortly after the full release

Edited by Brother Ben

3 hours ago, Truegunner said:

Very impressive, about 20% better single threaded performance compared to the i9 9900k, having just got an i9 9900k in my desktop recently the performance from that ryzen chip makes me quite envious. What will be even more interesting is how the ryzen 5 5600x performs as I hear it even beats an i9 in single threaded performance.

Truly astonishing, and if I had just bought the i9 9900k then I would have been regretting my purchase more, but I've had it around a year now so not much I can do. I would actually be tempted to switch but nah I've already spent enough on a PC completely and solely for FM 😅

Let's be honest though, it's £750 which is not cheap! Heck the i9 9900k was pricey at £450 but that's still £300 cheaper. Like you said though if the Ryzen 5600x has comparable speeds to the 5950x when it comes to FM then I would be feeling tempted to swap considering the 5600x is only £280. Obviously would need a new motherboard also. Seriously though for me I reckon I'll stick with the i9 9900k, as it's good enough for most I would imagine, lol. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

vor 14 Stunden schrieb jonpt:

That's what I was waiting for! A Performance Benchmark with the brand new AMD processor!

I want to buy the 5900x (the 5950x is a bit too expensive for me), will there be any big differences?

vor 14 Stunden schrieb jonpt:

Awesome! I'm kinda jealous with my 3950x. Do you have any possiblility to OC the RAM to 4000MHz?  Or activate PBO? Just to see if there is still room for improvement?:D

Cheers

Daveincid

Am 14.11.2020 um 20:06 schrieb jonpt:

Wow. Thanks for the results. It's awesome! I didn't expect that. 

Actually I wait for black friday to buy a laptop with i7/i9 core. 

But now I'm not sure, if I should buy a desktop pc with AMD Ryzen, but I'm never spend more than 500 for a cpu. I hope then the new Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 also as fast as ryzen 9. 

Edited by Color

I have to say I was blown away with the 5950x it was a big purchase but selling my old 3900x helped. Of course it also helped that I could keep the same RAM and motherboard which is nice.
I will have a look at overclocking This week. ASUs has just made an updated BIOS which seems better. The first one I had wouldn’t boot with the RAM above 3000mhz. The second one seems happy at XMP so I will see if it can go further. 

On my 3900x I noticed memory timings were much more important than speed. I will have a check on PBO too, it made no difference at all on the 3900x so let’s see if it works on this chip. 

On 14/11/2020 at 15:11, Truegunner said:

Yes it does!

On 13/11/2020 at 21:07, EdL said:

For most game setups single threaded is probably more important but larger games, espeically if you customise more matches to be in full detail more cores comes into its own.

I wouldn't really be considering less than 6 cores these days though.

Thanks @EdL

Well its top of the charts on all benchmarks so if you've got the money to spend its definetely the way to go.

Like others have said, we need to see what the current gen Ryzens like the 5 & the 7 are like as they're a lot more affordable

Type: Laptop

Model: 2020 13" MacBook Pro Base model

CPU Model: M1

CPU Base Frequency: N/A

CPU Turbo Frequency: N/A

RAM: 8GB

RAM Clockspeed: N/A

GPU: M1

Storage Type: SSD

Benchmark A - 47 seconds

Benchmark B - 6 minutes 39 seconds

Benchmark C - 6 minutes 9 seconds (I have double checked and I used the correct file and holiday date)

No fans until benchmark C in last 30 seconds. Was only warm until last minute of benchmark C where I would say not quite hot still. Fans stopped about 10 seconds after processing and is back to being warm.

14 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Model: 2020 13" MacBook Pro Base model

CPU Model: M1

GPU: M1

Benchmark A - 47 seconds

Benchmark B - 6 minutes 39 seconds

Benchmark C - 6 minutes 9 seconds (I have double checked and I used the correct file and holiday date)

No fans until benchmark C in last 30 seconds. Was only warm until last minute of benchmark C where I would say not quite hot still. Fans stopped about 10 seconds after processing and is back to being warm.

Impressive, on par with some higher end laptop processors for sure. 

Pretty good results! 

2 minutes ago, Viddek said:

Very impressive!!! Has someone the MacBook Air with M1 and can make the same benchmark?

Yes - there's a spreadsheet on this page - it would rank in about the 13/14/15th on the processors on that list - against extremely strong processors - so it's a mighty a beast of a processor. 

1 minute ago, Smurf said:

Yes - there's a spreadsheet on this page - it would rank in about the 13/14/15th on the processors on that list - against extremely strong processors - so it's a mighty a beast of a processor. 

They certainly are impressive results.  I keep meaning to do the benchmarks on my laptop and desktop so I think I'll give that a go this evening.

15 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It seems so, but are this benchmarks optimised to work natively for the M1?

24 minutes ago, Smurf said:

My point is that I love a very silent working and because of that I would like to prefer the MacBook Air, but with 8-Core GPU and 16GB Ram. 

7 minutes ago, Viddek said:

My point is that I love a very silent working and because of that I would like to prefer the MacBook Air, but with 8-Core GPU and 16GB Ram. 

The Pro has been dead silent whole time, the time the fans did come on I had to put my face into the keyboard to even notice them. Nothing like how my old 15” MacBook used to sound 

21 minutes ago, grade said:

It seems so, but are this benchmarks optimised to work natively for the M1?

No - FM20 is not optimised for the M1 processor as FM20 came out a year before the M1 was announced for order. 

It's unknown if FM21 will be optimised for the M1 processor - which is why these benchmarks are important. 

In the Laptop thread, that @kevhamsterand I answer to almost every day - we can now confidently say the M1 processor in the MacBook Pro is good and able for FM. 

Until any other info comes up - benchmarking is important.

8 minutes ago, craiigman said:

The Pro has been dead silent whole time, the time the fans did come on I had to put my face into the keyboard to even notice them. Nothing like how my old 15” MacBook used to sound 

well be interesting now to see how well it's performing over a long term save and multitasking in the background. 

Be great if you could keep tabs on performance etc with your saves, leagues/divisions/database size, how many years in without seeing slowdown/noise from fans, what you're multitasking. 

Not to put any pressure on you - but would be good feedback for other users.

2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

No - FM20 is not optimised for the M1 processor as FM20 came out a year before the M1 was announced for order. 

It's unknown if FM21 will be optimised for the M1 processor - which is why these benchmarks are important. 

In the Laptop thread, that @kevhamsterand I answer to almost every day - we can now confidently say the M1 processor in the MacBook Pro is good and able for FM. 

Until any other info comes up - benchmarking is important.

Oh okay. 

Then the benchmarks are very impressive, since a piece of software is running in the background for FM20 to run. I'm really interesting too seen what the benchmarks will be for game like FM, when SI optimises to the new chipsets. :D

10 minutes ago, grade said:

Oh okay. 

Then the benchmarks are very impressive, since a piece of software is running in the background for FM20 to run. I'm really interesting too seen what the benchmarks will be for game like FM, when SI optimises to the new chipsets. :D

That's if they do it - if it's working fine then why fix it - or more appropriately, if it's not broken don't fix it.

Finally got around to doing the benchmarks on my 2 main computers.

Model: Custom build

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Base Frequency: 3.60 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.20 GHz

RAM: 16GB

RAM Clockspeed: 3200Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super

Storage Type: HDD (7200RPM)

Benchmark A - 1 minute 1 second
Benchmark B - 6 minutes 26 seconds
Benchmark C - 5 minutes 45 seconds
--------------------------------------------

Model: HP Pavillion

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

CPU Base Frequency: 2.00 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.60 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 2400Mhz

GPU: Integrated (Radeon Vega 8)

Storage Type: HDD (5400RPM)

Benchmark A - 3 minutes 28 second
Benchmark B - 20 minutes 17 seconds
Benchmark C - 20 minutes 50 seconds

34 minutes ago, EdL said:

The laptop seems slower than expected? must be throttling badly?

Quite possibly.... it was quite hot on the bottom for benchmark B and C, so I'm guessing the CPU probably clocked lower to try to keep the heat down.

Type: Laptop

Model: MacBook Pro, 15" Late 2016

CPU Model: i7-6920HQ  4 cores / 8 threads (edited thanks Smurf)

CPU Base Frequency: 2.9 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.8 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 2133Mhz

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Benchmark A: 1 min 19 Sec

Benchmark B: 10 min 25 Sec

Benchmark C: 10 min 29 Sec

Edited by Joey Numbaz

Model: iMac, 27" Late 2015

CPU Model: i7-6700K - 4 cores 8 threads (edited thanks Smurf)

CPU Base Frequency: 4.0 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.2 GHz

RAM: 32GB

RAM Clockspeed: 1867 Mhz

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Storage Type: Fusion Drive (both SSD and regular and OS optimizes it)

Benchmark A: 59 Sec

Benchmark B: 7 min 29 Sec

Benchmark C: 8 min 18 Sec

Edited by Joey Numbaz

Interesting to see those two, compared with the M1 that craiigman posted. The M1 is a clear improvement. Benchmark C is the big test for me, since I run all leagues playable with full detail on all leagues even youth. My database has 411,000 players. So these times are really important at that scale.

I am probably going to upgrade the MacBook Pro to an M1 Mac Mini. I might wait though.

I am also considering giving my 3rd grader the MacBook Pro for distance learning and taking the iMac from her for FM :)

I do think these two are holding their own pretty well for 4 and 5 year old hardware.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

1 hour ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Type: Laptop

Model: MacBook Pro, 15" Late 2016

CPU Model: i7 - quad core

CPU Base Frequency: 2.9 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: doesn't say, can't find it anywhere looking in the System Report

RAM Clockspeed: 2133Mhz

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Benchmark A: 1 min 19 Sec

Benchmark B: 10 min 25 Sec

Benchmark C: 10 min 29 Sec

The CPU is the i7 6920 HQ  4 cores / 8 threads - 2.9-3.8ghz

Edited by Smurf

1 hour ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Model: iMac, 27" Late 2015

CPU Model: i7 - quad core

CPU Base Frequency: 4.0 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: doesn't say, can't find it anywhere looking in the System Report

RAM: 32GB

RAM Clockspeed: 1867 Mhz

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Storage Type: Fusion Drive (both SSD and regular and OS optimizes it)

Benchmark A: 59 Sec

Benchmark B: 7 min 29 Sec

Benchmark C: 8 min 18 Sec

That one is the i7-6700K

4/8 - 4.0ghz-4.2ghz

59 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Interesting to see those two, compared with the M1 that craiigman posted. The M1 is a clear improvement. Benchmark C is the big test for me, since I run all leagues playable with full detail on all leagues even youth. My database has 411,000 players. So these times are really important at that scale.

I am probably going to upgrade the MacBook Pro to an M1 Mac Mini. I might wait though.

I am also considering giving my 3rd grader the MacBook Pro for distance learning and taking the iMac from her for FM :)

I do think these two are holding their own pretty well for 4 and 5 year old hardware.

To be fair - they are 4-5 years old - I'd expect an improvement in this timeframe. 

On 14/11/2020 at 20:41, Brother Ben said:

The spreadsheet and Post 2 are now updated for possibly the last time for FM20.

DOWNLOAD SPREADSHEET HERE

Just want to say a big thanks to all those who did the benchmarks especially @quqlock and @simonstocker14 who dedicated well over an hour of their lives to it!  Excellent work guys.

FM21 Benchmark thread will be starting shortly after the full release

This is brilliant - and to be fair - the rankings in the spreadsheet are almost identical to how https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html have them listed, astonishing!

Wondering if you can include the Apple M1 test on this also - it's a fantastic cheat sheet for all those pesky people asking about how many leagues they can load etc. 

To be fair, it tops the laptops and has 8gb RAM. Which is fantastic - price is outrageous, but so is the performance :) 

@craiigman Thanks for testing it.