Not scoring enough goals

I took over as manager mid-season and lifted the team from near relegation to mid table. However, this season I can't continue that form, mainly because I have suddenly stopped scoring. In my last 7 games I have scoed only 3 goals.

I use the same tactics as I did last season, only minor adjustments from game to game.

I use a 4-2-3-1 Wide tactic with a control mentality for matches where I'm the favorite, and a counter mentality when I'm the underdog. Look at the scrrenshots to see the details.

Is there any obvious changes I should make to create more chances and score more goals?

I tend to dominate possesion and shots on goal in most game, but often it seems like I just don't create enough clear cut chances.

It's FM17, by the way.

Tactics control.png

Tactics counter.png

30 minutes ago, ReddaJoppe said:

I took over as manager mid-season and lifted the team from near relegation to mid table. However, this season I can't continue that form, mainly because I have suddenly stopped scoring. In my last 7 games I have scoed only 3 goals.

I use the same tactics as I did last season, only minor adjustments from game to game.

I use a 4-2-3-1 Wide tactic with a control mentality for matches where I'm the favorite, and a counter mentality when I'm the underdog. Look at the scrrenshots to see the details.

Is there any obvious changes I should make to create more chances and score more goals?

I tend to dominate possesion and shots on goal in most game, but often it seems like I just don't create enough clear cut chances.

It's FM17, by the way.

Tactics control.png

Tactics counter.png

Well first tactic, all front four players on attack, thats a problem in a top heavy formation like a 4-2-3-1.

Second tactic you have one player on attack, who will be completely isolated from the rest of the team, not only that but you will also have massive gaps between your fullbacks and inside forwards.

Basically both tactics are unbalanced and there is no variation in attacks,  I suggest you read through Pairs and Combinations.

Edited by lim

31 minutes ago, lim said:

Well first tactic, all front four players on attack, thats a problem in a top heavy formation like a 4-2-3-1.

Second tactic you have one player on attack, who will be completely isolated from the rest of the team, not only that but you will also have massive gaps between your fullbacks and inside forwards.

Basically both tactics are unbalanced and there is no variation in attacks,  I suggest you read through Pairs and Combinations.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

However, I'm a bit confused about your statement that all four front players on attack duty is a problem. The game (my assman) recommends 4-5 players on attack duty for a control mentailty. If not the front four, then who? Fullbacks?

31 minutes ago, ReddaJoppe said:

Thanks, I'll look into that.

However, I'm a bit confused about your statement that all four front players on attack duty is a problem. The game (my assman) recommends 4-5 players on attack duty for a control mentailty. If not the front four, then who? Fullbacks?

Basically 4-2-3-1 is already a top heavy formation. 

Think of it this way, all four players (Striker, AMC, AML, AMR) are all so high up the pitch already that giving them an attack duty would make it even worse, all players will be condensed in the final third of the pitch leaving them no space to attack, also the only player that will link up with them effectively is the Box to Box Midfielder on support and on occasions the fullbacks.

If it was me I would give no more than two players an attack duty to the front four, I'd also look at adding an attack duty to a fullback. One other thing your two players in the center are both going to roam from there positions, ideally you want at least one player who will sit and be holding player to cover defensively.  Id maybe also change to Flexible rather than structured and I wouldn't take much notice to what your assistant manager says. Also to mention mentality is controlled, which would instruct the team to hold onto the ball more often to control possession, if you want to score goals try balanced, with a view to changing it to Positive or Attacking (depending on the opposition).

Here is a good thread from @Experienced Defender about some basic rules to follow when implementing the 4-2-3-1, even though it was created for FM19, the same principles should work in FM17.

Edited by lim