FM20.3 - 442 Lower League Special. Stockport 98 points. 108 goals

TRAINING

This year I am employing the same tried and trusted training schedules from last year namely;

PRE-SEASON

MATCH WEEK

DEVELOPMENT WEEK

PRE-SEASON should be employed immediately upon the players return for a new season until the week before your first competitive match. It is designed to recover physical attributes lost during the off season, build team morale, and improving conditioning and injury resistance for the main season.

MATCH WEEK should be employed in any week where you have 2 OR MORE games. Pursuing player attribute development is pointless during these weeks, instead its all about recovery, conditioning and arriving on Match days in the best physical and mental shape possible. 

DEVELOPMENT WEEK can be employed if you only have 1 match this week leaving a run of training days to work on coaching and improving players whilst still gearing up for match day.

PRE-SEASON.fmf MATCH WEEK.fmf DEVELOPMENT WEEK.fmf

Edited by Mr U Rosler

9 hours ago, topyoyo said:

What about individual position training?

Normally i'd just train to the role, i.e. Strikers train as Pressing Forward attack.

The exception for this are, for example, if i have a young midfielder with strong Defensive qualities already, i might train him as Advanced Playmaker/Attack to bring on his attacking attributes and round him out as a player.

Bare in mind my team cohesion is still in the red, i plugged this in my last game of preseason so the team have not fully understood it yet.

George Graham would be proud.

2003038860_Screenshot2020-02-25at10_08_22.thumb.png.24cf5201379ec692fc63eb664df42125.png

Slight change i made was to take off 'Get stuck in' and put on 'Stay on feet' after i picked up 6 yellows in the lazio game. Which has left me with the following that i love because the yellow cards do my nut in.

1196502270_Screenshot2020-02-25at10_13_38.thumb.png.33b7e84f14b0bdb10be0a0faca122fee.png1257404534_Screenshot2020-02-25at10_13_45.thumb.png.6507d46bce83e3d78c79078af54b4f49.png

the training shechedule will automatically adapt to your games! to fully utilize this i recomend you set your games for wednesday and saturday! you can do that in the game settings!

So I've reached the winter break in Italy so here's a quick update.

On the face of it things are going great. Works a charm against big teams as you can see but as with most underdog tactics it can struggle to break down the more defensive and im gonna assuming i'll face this issue even more so in the second half of the season.

1818377838_Screenshot2020-02-26at04_48_19.thumb.png.ccb8ef3569a4a98846cbb0721f2bc480.png1774469362_Screenshot2020-02-26at04_49_20.thumb.png.55dd76ee58fd791db5d699ee99daa8c3.png

In regards to the goals scored.. I seem to get most of mine from the set pieces and long shots from the center mids.  Here you can see the assist types, Most of them short passes are flick ons from the throw ins i think. Saying that when we do get a CCC we are fairly clinical with them.

1340848870_Screenshot2020-02-26at05_00_56.thumb.png.298a70d8f099295f1cf00c5b338eac0c.png228801999_Screenshot2020-02-26at05_01_24.thumb.png.8ad911af0fc53fb0a46e97d3ab160796.png

Regarding that tweak i made changing 'Get stuck in' for 'Stay on feet'

Joint 3rd in tackle completion, Least amount of tackles won because i obviously make less, which has left me the 2nd least amount of fouls made which imo greatly reduces the chances of conceding from set pieces. 

I've also given away 0 pens, 6 fewest yellow cards and 0 reds so far this season.

509035701_Screenshot2020-02-26at05_10_36.thumb.png.dd9e5f367eb0f411c7240fe5655356ad.png1463543504_Screenshot2020-02-26at05_10_43.thumb.png.7305a9a87703f2c6ee6398c1d0b0621d.png1879882810_Screenshot2020-02-26at05_10_50.thumb.png.607b3be543ce3570670cec3c2c33e1ee.png

I got a feeling i may have to find a more attacking tactic going forward once they rejig the reputation and keep this for the big games and europe next season.

Great work again Mr Rosler

On 26/02/2020 at 03:50, Anteater said:

Would you consider changing the midfield roles as you move up to higher leagues?  For example, box to box midfielder or mezzala instead of the generic central midfield roles?

I wonder about this too due to not having 2 well-rounded midfielders and it seems difficult to fit a magician into this tactic.

11 hours ago, saltgruve said:

I wonder about this too due to not having 2 well-rounded midfielders and it seems difficult to fit a magician into this tactic.

With no defensive midfielder we're a bit restricted in what we can do with the central midfield roles. Mezzala's will just vacate the central area and leave us exposed, as will box to box midfielders to some extent.

Perhaps a DLP/s & Box to Box might be a good combo for top teams if you feel you have to change it.

I tend to use 'magicians' in the wingers positions.

25 minutes ago, Jonas91 said:

how it is going on skybet league one? :)

Im doing a similar save with boston . started on VNL North! :)

1st season in league 1, going well. Suspect automatic promotion will be just out of reach. even though we have a couple of games in hand.

Bit of reputation lag after rapid promotions, struggling to sign league 1 players, central midfied is very weak. But just dumped premier league Norwich out of the FA Cup.

Sky-Bet-League-One-Stages.png

Quick update.

1st season in League 1, made play offs but lost out. 2nd season in League grabbed 2nd spot and automatic promotion.

Wright Phillips was my top man,17 goals & 17 assists, pretty 1 dimensional but a good runner/dribbler and crosser.

Looking forward to consolidating in the Championship for a season or 2 before taking on the big boys in the Prem.

But that's 3 promotions in 4 seasons.

Sky-Bet-League-One-Stages-2.png

D-Margio-Wright-Phillips-Profile.png

9 minutes ago, saltgruve said:

@Mr U Rosler

Do you know if Get Stuck In is favourable over Stay on Feet? 
I used Get Stuck In twice now and got direct red cards in both games, although it may be leading to more chances and breaks.
I dont know if those too games were anomalies or not.

I've tried both. The tactic is definitely better with get stuck in on. 

The press is a bit pointless if you're standing off. You see much more turnovers in dangerous positions with get stuck in on. 

A bit risky but worth it. Any player on a Yellow with a rating of 6.4 or lower substitute them in the 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, Mr U Rosler said:

I've tried both. The tactic is definitely better with get stuck in on. 

The press is a bit pointless if you're standing off. You see much more turnovers in dangerous positions with get stuck in on. 

A bit risky but worth it. Any player on a Yellow with a rating of 6.4 or lower substitute them in the 2nd half. 

Any idea if the new update did anything with the tactic?
I'm having really bad results at the moment.

12 hours ago, saltgruve said:

Any idea if the new update did anything with the tactic?
I'm having really bad results at the moment.

No changes to ME in update. 

Still going well for me in the Championship. 

Poor results tend to come in clusters, just need to persist and play your way out of it. 

I switched to the 442 and I'm now on af 13 match unbeaten run with Enfield Town. I changed til D-line and LOE to high because we were losing the ball constantly and being hit by balls over the top. After this change we are extremely solid and just breaking up attacks and launching quick counters, especially down the flanks with the quick wingers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using this tactic in The Championship with Preston and for the most part, I absolutely love it. The football is good, the wingers cause mayhem and I love the fact it's a traditional 4-4-2. My only frustration is the fragility with long balls over the defence (is this a general ME issue?) and conceding from set pieces. I must admit that I've set myself a challenge on this game by limiting myself to players aged 22 or less and from the UK... Could having a young team be the issue or am I just being picky?

• 1 month later...

Hi Rosler, All. 

Let me start by saying I love your tactics and Ideas around them. 

As a result, I am using this for a Tactical Plug & Play Tactical Experiment on my YouTube Channel starting with Gateshead in the Vanarama National North. Come and check it out and see the tactic playing out if you are using it or interested in trying it out!

"Plug and Play Tactical Experiment - Gateshead"

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2020 at 20:39, mcgoobage said:

Hi Rosler, All. 

Let me start by saying I love your tactics and Ideas around them. 

As a result, I am using this for a Tactical Plug & Play Tactical Experiment on my YouTube Channel starting with Gateshead in the Vanarama National North. Come and check it out and see the tactic playing out if you are using it or interested in trying it out!

"Plug and Play Tactical Experiment - Gateshead"

Back to Back to Back promotions in three seasons!! Now onto League One!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/03/2020 at 02:11, TheDentalist said:

I'm using this tactic in The Championship with Preston and for the most part, I absolutely love it. The football is good, the wingers cause mayhem and I love the fact it's a traditional 4-4-2. My only frustration is the fragility with long balls over the defence (is this a general ME issue?) and conceding from set pieces. I must admit that I've set myself a challenge on this game by limiting myself to players aged 22 or less and from the UK... Could having a young team be the issue or am I just being picky?

I follow the training schedules here but also had a problem conceding from free kicks and corners - I added a session for defending free kicks and one for corners each week and it helped a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had to dig out my old forum account just to say thank you for this amazing tactic!
Have been away from FM for a few years and was really struggling to get anything to work consistently in FM20.

Started a new save with this in the fourth, and lowest, tier in Sweden with minnows BK Olympic.
Won the fourth tier breaking the point record which was nice but we were tipped P4 so not a total shocker.
Got some decent free transfers that could actually play in the correct positions and were tipped as a lower half team in the third tier. Won the league and broke the point record again. Right forward won the golden boot with 30 goals in 30 games.

Onto the second tier and tipped in the bottom, result: Won the league by 9 points!

bild.thumb.png.e357d0e750ffea531c646006a8c0ee5f.png

Got promotion to the highest tier. Club went professional and gave me a nice increase to wage cap (I thought) that got me some nice new players. Club has really not had the time to grow enough so we are by far the smallest team in the league. As a reference the salary cap:

bild.png.930be2f3ac8403ef135cef8d9c735b7b.png

Tipped to struggle to survive. Results so far with 6 games to go:

bild.thumb.png.3d678114669fa417f38248daa296437a.png

This tactic is so good as an underdog team. To be fair we have been really lucky in many games but considering the skill level of the players we have no right to be anywhere close to the top of the league. Right side striker has really been key for me every season. Lucked out this season and could loan a young kid from Inter who is by far my best player. So far he has 24 goals in the 23 games he has played in the league.

Only thing I have changed are the set pieces, both offensive and perhaps more importantly the defensive. Still letting in some goals from them but guess that is just how the ME is this year.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Just wanna give this tactic some very well deserved love!

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/11/2020 at 17:13, Volkditty said:

Glad other people are enjoying it, but this has never worked for me. Giving up multiple goals per game from 20-30 yards out. No one closing down the space or providing pressure in between the defensive and midfield lines.

Long shots seem to be a bit OP this year. The AI scores a worldie every other game against me. The Vanarama North end of season DVD is going to be a bunch of 30 yard wonder goals against my poor Leamington side.

Edited by Plugpin

I'm having fun with a 343 at the moment, a bit hesitant to put it up as although it's going great in my main save, my wider testing is usually done on holiday mode which seems unreliable this year. 

Still won the League with Liverpool holidaying (as you should) and got Fulham to 14th season 1 with default squad, but a way off Knaps results although I don't know how he runs his tests. 

I might run the tests manually but that might take me a week or 2.

Finished the manual Liverpool test. Its gone well, i'll try Fulham now.

Counter attacking with 15th lowest possession in the league

20201201122647_1.jpg

Having a lot of possession didn't help Man City (home or away), or Leeds.

0-5.jpg

5-0.jpg

9 - 1.jpg

Edited by Mr U Rosler

1 hour ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Finished the manual Liverpool test. Its gone well, i'll try Fulham now.

Counter attacking with 15th lowest possession in the league

20201201122647_1.jpg

Having a lot of possession didn't help Man City (home or away), or Leeds.

0-5.jpg

5-0.jpg

9 - 1.jpg

Oh My :eek:  Love a bit of counter attacking!

27 minutes ago, steve.battisti said:

So, dumb question, since I'm trying this and I'm a relative newbie at FM. To what extent, if any, do you pay attention to your assistant manager's insistence that you do other things during tactical meetings? Do you pretty much ignore them (at least until you see how the game is developing)?

Ignore him 100%, 100% of the time. 

39 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Ignore him 100%, 100% of the time. 

Thanks. :) Game one started off poorly. 2-0 loss. That said, I was hired very late and the roster was a mess. I had one week and one friendly before our first league match. So, I'm still waiting on several contract offers to get to what I THINK should be a competitive squad, and everyone is completely unfamiliar with the tactic so far.

Well, this tactic is working swimmingly right now! After coming out of the gates with a whimper, we have 4 wins and a draw in our next five!

Not at all happy with the construction of my roster right now. Can’t find a left winger to save my life, so playing a guy out of position and he’s very whiny about it. Have one crabby, declining veteran at fullback that it may just be time to ship out. And I’ll need to find a replacement for one of my CMs.

I’m scouting and offering trials like crazy, but all of the free transfers are terrible or not the right fit, and all of the loan candidates the team wants stupid money for, and my transfer budget is a measley 15k. 

Any FM veterans care to offer advice to a rookie FM player?

16 hours ago, steve.battisti said:

Well, this tactic is working swimmingly right now! After coming out of the gates with a whimper, we have 4 wins and a draw in our next five!

Not at all happy with the construction of my roster right now. Can’t find a left winger to save my life, so playing a guy out of position and he’s very whiny about it. Have one crabby, declining veteran at fullback that it may just be time to ship out. And I’ll need to find a replacement for one of my CMs.

I’m scouting and offering trials like crazy, but all of the free transfers are terrible or not the right fit, and all of the loan candidates the team wants stupid money for, and my transfer budget is a measley 15k. 

Any FM veterans care to offer advice to a rookie FM player?

I'm hardly a veteran FMer, however I've played several versions over the past ten years or more. What is working for me in a Colchester game is requesting my board give me a working agreement with a big club. I chose Arsenal from their list, got 125,000 payment and an agreement for 'free' players--that is, no fee attached. So I asked for Balogun to fill my Striker issue (only two and the players were complaining). Got him on loan for free. Problem solved. So get a big club sponsorship, and ask for decent players. You'll get them.

1 hour ago, Leo_The_Lip said:

I'm hardly a veteran FMer, however I've played several versions over the past ten years or more. What is working for me in a Colchester game is requesting my board give me a working agreement with a big club. I chose Arsenal from their list, got 125,000 payment and an agreement for 'free' players--that is, no fee attached. So I asked for Balogun to fill my Striker issue (only two and the players were complaining). Got him on loan for free. Problem solved. So get a big club sponsorship, and ask for decent players. You'll get them.

Thanks for your suggestion! I have an affiliation with Lincoln, who is sky bet one, but every time I try to look at one of their players, even to bring in on trial, the player refuses. 

Is there some specific sequence of menu actions / steps you are using to ask the club for a player? I feel like it might just be user error but I can’t figure it out?