First Attempt At 4-1-4-1 In FM20

Just going into my third season (2021-22) and at my third club.

Started at Braintree and were in the play-off positions in the National League South before jumping ship in January to Yeovil in the National League. Guided Yeovil to the National League title in the 2020-21 but resigned during the summer as the chairman wouldn't allow myself to go on a coaching course. The Crewe job was available in League 2, and after a successful interview I've taken the job.

During my time at Braintree and Yeovil I employed a 4-4-2 that worked well, but having analysed my squad at Crewe I feel in need to go with a 4-1-4-1. I'm not going to get much chance until the weekend to sit down in some detail and get through pre-season.

Anyway I would appreciate some feedback on the 4-1-4-1 I'm looking to use.

PF(a)

IF(a)                                                                     APM(s)

CM(s)                   MEZ(a)

DM/A(d)

FB(s)               DC(d)                    BPD(d)           FB(a)

SK(d)

Team Instructions

Mentality: Positive

In Transition: Distiribute to FB's & DC

PI's Mez & PF to close down more.

The concerns I have are around the IF(a) and PF(a). The IF doesn't have the creative attributes to be on a support duty, but his finishing and attacking attributes are quite decent. Would it be better to change the PF to a support duty?

Also the MEZ on attack with the DR/FB(a), DR/FB(s) instead?

Lastly the CM(s), what about a DLP(s) instead? 

Thoughts???

• I think having a support duty centre forward would be a good idea. Especially with a Mezzala breaking forward from deep too.
  • Your duties are otherwise well spread
  • I'd probably change your FB(s) to a WB(s) to offer width in the final third when the IF(a) moves inside
  • I think having a FB instead of a WB is a useful adjustment to allow you to keep the Mezzala. Basically the right hand side looks fine to me. 
  • A DLP(s) CM(s) are both absolutely grand.

What kind of style are you looking to play, because its only your roles and duties that we can see for now...

I absolutely agree with @llama3 on this: 

46 minutes ago, llama3 said:

think having a support duty centre forward would be a good idea. Especially with a Mezzala breaking forward from deep too

and this: 

47 minutes ago, llama3 said:

I'd probably change your FB(s) to a WB(s) to offer width in the final third when the IF(a) moves inside

However, I would be very much wary of playing a fullback on attack duty when he has a mezzala in front of him (especially when the mezzala is also on attack). The reason is- of course - too much defensive risk. So I would ideally opt for an IWB on support on the right flank instead of the FB on attack. 

2 hours ago, llama3 said:
  • I think having a support duty centre forward would be a good idea. Especially with a Mezzala breaking forward from deep too.
  • Your duties are otherwise well spread
  • I'd probably change your FB(s) to a WB(s) to offer width in the final third when the IF(a) moves inside
  • I think having a FB instead of a WB is a useful adjustment to allow you to keep the Mezzala. Basically the right hand side looks fine to me. 
  • A DLP(s) CM(s) are both absolutely grand.

What kind of style are you looking to play, because its only your roles and duties that we can see for now...

The player I have at left back is naturally a CWB, so I will change it to WB(s) in the left back position. I'll make the right back a IWB(s) as I thought the right hand side was too open.

Style wise the board want me to play attacking football, but I don't want gung-ho as we're expected to finish mid table, so I was looking at a balanced/positive mentality with standard/slightly more direct passing. If the opposition are using a wing back or two maybe add pass into space. In transition regroup.

Going to look to use a slightly more conservative set up as a second tactic, cautious/balanced mentality, standard/more direct passing, pass into space. In transition regroup and counter. Out Of Possession lower line of engagement.

If my two main strikers can play to their potential I can mix it up a bit. My first choice is naturally a pressing forward, so will use him in this role if the centre backs are not the quickest or their passing, first touch or composure isn't great. He can also play as a deep lying forward, so will go with this against defences where I get no height or pace advantage. My second choice striker is a pretty tall target man who is decent in the air, so he'll come in if we are trying to exploit an aerial advantage.