Advice on attacking and Creating better chances

Hi,

Im looking for some advice on my tactic. Im managing Notts County and got back to back to back promotions and no find myself in the Championship.

I created a 532 at the start of the season and although its defensively solid im struglling to create GOOD chances. I have a decent amount of the ball i seem to struggle to create space up front.

Any advice would be greatfull.

Ive attached a image of my tactic results and a average match stats

tactic1.bmp fixtures.bmp match.bmp

• The IWB is not great when he is a lone wide player - you're basically volunteering not to use the left flank to create any chances - that's 1/3 of the width already gone. You need to have a proper wide outlet of some sort.
  • I'm just a bit unclear how you're trying to attack - you have a high tempo, but seem to want to retain the ball, which is generally counter-intuitive. As such it's hard to offer much other advice on roles and duties - the duties are pretty balanced, the roles are ok-ish but I think it's a lack of clarity of how you want to attack - how do you want to create chances?

I was trying to attack similar to the vertical tika taka. The board want me to play with High Tempo Pressing, Possesion and be Defensively solid so thats what i was aiming for

And i did think the IWB would work well with the MEZ. Maybe not with this setup i suppose

Would a standard or direct passing improve it do you think ?

33 minutes ago, andyzinc said:

Would a standard or direct passing improve it do you think ?

Take it wider than that - assuming you want to do what the board asks and play with a high tempo pressing, possession and defensive solidity, I think you're looking at something like a Control Possession or Tiki-Taka type of template. 

Possession football is based on pressing to win it back, as well the obvious passing to keep the ball - so you're looking at a style that focuses on shorter possession to keep the ball and build possession.

So, advice more specifically:

Team Instructions

As you are asked to press and keep possession, I'd suggest a high defensive line and line of engagement - check out Rashidi's youtube channel, he had a great video last year discussion, high, low and medium blocks. You're in need of at least a medium press, or a high press.

I'd reduce the tempo, because possession football is about drawing opponents towards you and moving them about to create gaps. It needs some patience, so a lower tempo (or at least a normal one) will help with this. I'd use width intermittently. If you're keeping the ball then being narrower can be helpful, if you're stretching opponents then sitting wider can be more helpful.

Player Roles and Duties

Your point on the MEZ(a) and IWB(s) is fair. The Mezzala will occupy half spaces though more than actual wide areas, so you will still lose width on the left flank. Just look at the analysis squares on your tactic - that left flank isn't great. 

It's fairly balanced overall, so it depends on if there are specific issues with how certain aspects of your game are working - but aside from the IWB, I'd suggest make team instruction changes first then see how it's all working.

Thank you for the advice. Rashidi's youtube channel is excellent in my opinion. I do watch alot of his videos. Ill certainly go back and go watch the one you mentioned. I remember it from last year..

Thanks Again