To people who don't care if I live or die ?"

"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour

But heaven knows I'm miserable now

"You've been in the house too long" she said

And I (naturally) fled

In my life

Why do I give valuable time

To people who don't care if I live or die ?"

So there I was, unemployed, ****ed up and depressed. I missed football, I mean it was the only thing I'd ever really known...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Derby County coach released from prison

September 24, 1999

Derby County first team coach Jamie Waggett was released this morning from prison and is set to resume his work with the Premiership club.

The English FA have yet to decide on any punishment for the coach who was jailed for six months after a series of incidents dating back to February 1998 and there have been numerous calls in the British press to punish Waggett further for his offences.

The East Midlands club have decided to stand by Waggett who joined in 1995 to work on the coaching staff. He has an excellent relationship with Jim Smith and the Derby staff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing was they didn't stand by me. Within a month I'd been sacked, but now I was back...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Oxford United unveil New Boss

Sunday 12th March 2000

Jamie Waggett is Oxford United's new manager after agreeing a rolling contract with the Second Division club.

He will work alongside the existing staff - including his predecessor in the Manor Ground hot-seat Mickey Lewis, who had taken over on a temporary basis after the departure of previous manager Malcolm Shotton. The others coach Mark Harrison, Scout Danny Pearson and Physio John Clinkard are understood to be happy to work with Waggett for the time being.

The former Derby County and Queens Park Rangers man said: "I'm very excited. It's a great challenge. The club is very ambitious and so am I. The board have been brilliant through this."

Waggett will be in charge of the Oxford team for Saturday's game at home to 17th-placed Chesterfield. Although clearly he feels it's going to be a learning curve.

"My priority is to watch the game," said Waggett "I've got to look at every aspect of the club - the playing staff, coaching staff, physios, everything."

After an early spell of success under Lewis this season, Oxford have struggled in recent weeks and dropped dangerously close to the Division Two relegation zone. Although the club currently sit in 15th place eight points above the dropzone with ten games to go. Another millstone is that the club is reportedly some £13million in debt, although it doesn't seem to bother the new manager.

But Waggett added: "I want Mickey to stay and work with me - on the coaching staff. We had a brief chat yesterday and we will talk again today. But I want him on board. If we all pull in the same direction then we can take the club forward. I'm really excited about the prospects. Oxford could be a very big club."

Oxford chairman Firoz Kassam said: "We are delighted to have Jamie Waggett on board at The Manor Ground. If you talk to anybody within football they will tell you Jamie is one of the best and most respected coaches in the game. This is a major boost to the club and is another indication that the prospect of playing football at a higher level is our prime objective."

Former Derby County and Queens Park Rangers player Waggett, 36, was most recently right-hand man to Jim Smith during a five-year spell at Derby.

He helped guide the Rams to promotion from the First Division and stabilise themselves in the Premiership.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I was back in football after a break from the game, I just couldn't wait for training on Monday.

Oxford United Squad (20 players)

1 Andre Arendse

(GK - RSA (27 caps) - 27.6.67 (32 y/o))

Although not in the current South Africa squad Andre is an excellent goalkeeper and will be my first choice for the remainder of the season, if he impresses who knows maybe next season as well. Not the most agile of keepers but excellent handling and decent reflexes more than more up for it.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[35 (Apps) 0 (Gls) 35 (Con) 0 (Pens) 0 (Asts) 0 (Yel) 0 (Red) 3 (MoM) 7.06 (Av R)]</pre>

13 PÃ¥l Lundin

(GK - SWE - 21.11.64 (35))

PÃ¥l is a more than capable back-up 'keeper who would be first choice if Andre were a lesser player. Time sadly isn't on his side despite his excellent form when called upon, a consumate professional who trains hard despite knowing he'll not get many chances under me.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[6 0 7 0 0 0 0 0 6.83]</pre>

14 Steve Davis

(D C - ENG - 26.7.65 (34))

I couldn't ask for a better defender at this level, solid and decisive and still very fit even at the end of his career. He'll play a big part in the remainder of the season and I know that a fit Steve Davis will be a big asset in our fight for survival. Will partner Phil Whelan in the centre of defence without a doubt, needs to cut down on the yellow cards though - although as he says himself it's just part of his game.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[39 0 0 0 0 8 0 2 7.00]</pre>

9 Steve Anthrobus

(D/F RC - ENG - 10.11.68 (31))

Right sided despite being left footed Steve's versatility is his best asset alongside his aerial ability. I'm not sure where he'll play but he's likely to be involved in the match day squad, in his first season with the club but I won't pretend he'll be staying beyond then because I simply can't see it.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[31 4 0 0 2 2 0 2 6.71]</pre>

20 Neil McGowan

(D L - SCO - 15.4.77 (22))

Blessed with pace and very hardworking but that doesn't make him a footballer as he sadly lacks in ever other department. I doubt he'll play much under me and his days certinaly look numbered.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[3 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 7.00]</pre>

3 Paul Powell

(D/M L - ENG - 30.6.78 (21))

Paul is without a doubt in my mind one of the most talented left sided players outside of the topflight and is even now possibly playing a level below himself. I don't mind this however as he's a valuable player for the club, very quick and creative he'll be first choice at left back.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[33 2 0 0 0 2 0 2 6.97]</pre>

2 Les Robinson

(SW/D RC - ENG - 1.3.67 (33))

Les is an Oxford legend but I see him taking a more backseat role at the club despite appearing many times under Mickey Lewis. Nontheless I know if I ever need to call on him he'll be 110% committed and is still a very good defender who has a wealth of experience.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[37 2 0 0 2 4 1 2 7.05]</pre>

5 Mark Watson

(SW/D/DM C - CAN (51 caps) - 8.9.70 (29))

Mark is an excellent player who could easily play at a higher level, not blessed with pace but quick enough to get about and very strong. I expect him to fill a number of roles for me and do them well. Sadly looks like he'll leave the club in the summer as his contract is expiring and he feels he can get a better deal elsewhere.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[25 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 6.92]</pre>

19 Phil Whelan

(D C - ENG - 7.8.72 (27))

Phil is in my mind the best defender currently at the club, a great man-marker who still has his best years ahead of him - excellent in the air, he does the basics well and keeps things simple.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[37 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 7.03]</pre>

8 Paul Tait

(DM C - ENG - 31.1.71 (29)

Paul is a highly experienced midfielder who, once fully fit should establish himself as one of our best players. Tenacious and hard working he is has spent most of his career with Birmingham City.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[28 5 0 0 2 4 1 1 6.75]</pre>

4 Peter Fear

(DM C - ENG - 10.9.73 (26)

Peter is a former England under 21 International and even now several years on looks a decent player. Didn't make the grade at his first club Wimbledon but could quite easily play at a higher level. I expect big things from the 26 year old as I look to ultise his obvious ability.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[34 0 0 0 1 3 0 0 6.65]</pre>

12 James Lambert

(AM L - ENG - 14.9.73 (26)

James is a talented player who has sadly gone off the boil recently. I'm hoping to restart his career for him, he has talent - pace, crossing ability and flair - everything you could want from a winger all he needs to do is find the final product. Hopefully he will for us.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[7 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 6.71]</pre>

6 Jamie Cook

(AM L - ENG - 2.8.79 (20)

Jamie is a talented youngster who although probably won't see much first team action this season will no doubt be one for the future. Very quick and technically gifted I see a good career ahead of the young winger.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.40]</pre>

7 Matt Murphy

(AM/F C - ENG - 20.8.71 (28)

Matt has made 287 appearences for Oxford scoring 22 goals, I can't see him making many more as I don't rate him at all. He shows a good touch occasionally and has the quality to finish but we don't play to his style so I see limited chances for the a player who really needs to be getting games at this stage of his career.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[27 1 0 0 2 1 0 0 6.63]</pre>

16 Robert Folland

(AM/F RC -WAL - 16.9.79 (20)

Packed with pace but slightly lacking in all other areas. His versatility means he will always be a good player to have about a squad and his age means he is still able to improve and stake a claim for a regular place.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[ 9 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 6.89]</pre>

11 Joey Beauchamp

(AM/F RL - ENG - 13.3.71 (29))

Although he has played most of his career as a winger I see Joey playing in a more central role, hence his inclusion amongst the clubs other striking options. I'll be looking for goals from Joey who is clearly talented but has so far this season not shown the kind of form he is clearly capable of.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[38 2 0 0 10 0 0 0 6.68]</pre>

18 Kevin Francis

(S C - ENG - 6.12.67 (32))

Apart from a spell with Stockport County in the mid 1990s Kevin has usually struggled to break double figures for goals but has always proved a big hit with fans and players alike due to his ability to cause problems in the box. Very strong in the air it's likely to be his last season with the club as he's out of contract come the end of the season and his wage demands might be a bit out of our reach.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[38 8 0 0 9 1 1 1 6.42]</pre>

10 Derek Lilley

(S C - SCO - 9.2.74 (26))

I see big things for Derek, a move to Leeds United from Morton didn't really work out for the young Scotsman but he seems to have found his niche this season for Oxford. I think he'll play a major part in anything we do this season provided he stays fit and we create the right type of chances.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[18 8 0 0 0 4 0 0 6.33]</pre>

17 Ben Abbey

(S C - ENG - 5.10.79 (20))

Quick, strong and good in the air - all words that describe Ben. Looks to have potential but will struggle to play much this season unless injuries see him thrown into the frame.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[- - - - - - - - ----]</pre>

15 Simon Weatherstone

(S C - ENG - 26.1.80 (20))

Simon looks a good prospect but is possibly playing at a level too high, it's a pity as with the right coaching and regular first team football he could be a decent player. I just doub't he'll get it here, which is a pity.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[ - - - - - - - - ----]</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A Wright Touch

Thursday 16th March 2000

New Oxford United boss Jamie Waggett has boosted his depleted squad by announcing the news that Johnny Wright (24) has signed for the club on a two year deal. Wright is Waggett's first signing since taking over at the club just under a week ago.

The former Norwich City trainee, who plays at right back, made seven appearences for the Canaries between 1994 and 1997 before being released. He is in line to make his debut on Saturday against Chesterfield

Wright said: "I can feel myself getting fitter and I want to play games. It's an exciting time for the club with Jamie coming in and I would like to be part of it."

Also signing was former QPR left back Mark Graham. Graham (25) played 19 times for QPR between 1994 and 1999 and is expected to sign a two year contract this evening.

Graham said: "Obviously I was delighted when Jamie rang me and asked me to come to the club. I'm looking forward to hopefully playing although I know it's going to be tough what with Paul Powell already so well established at the club but I think I can push him all the way."

Wright and Graham are both from Northern Ireland and are two of just a number of new players Jamie Waggett hopes to add to the squad before next weeks transfer deadline.

Wright and Graham are two of a few plusses for Oxford this week with the news that defender Phil Whelan, wingback Paul Powell and winger Joey Beauchamp had agreed a new three year contracts with the club.

Also in other news the club have said that Peterborough midfielder Jae Martin and Wrexham defender Dave Ridler will both join the club next season having signed pre-contract agreements. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Two more sign today!

Friday 17th March 2000

They're coming in thick and fast at the Manor Ground as Jamie Waggett unveilved two new strikers today

Alfonso Piola (20) was the first to join signing a three year contract after completing a successful weeks trial. Piola, who is of Brazilian origin but holds an Italian passport came through the youth ranks at Inter Milan but was subsequently released after Christmas.

The other new signing is former Arsenal and Bristol City forward Jehad Muntasser (21). Muntasser, a Libyan under 21 International has a fine pedigree and has signed a five year contract with Oxford. Although realises it's not going to be easy..

Jehad said: "I've come to Oxford to start again, things didn't go well for me at Bristol City but I think this is the right move. I'm only young but hopefully I'll get a chance between now and the end of the season that'll help me cement a regular place in the side."

The club have also revealed that First Division Port Vale winger Richard Eyre has rejected a loan move to the club.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saturday 18th March 2000

The Manor Ground, Oxford

Oxford United vs Chesterfield

Oxford, sitting 15th were looking to impress under new boss Jamie Waggett and also hit back after last weeks stinging defeat against Cardiff City. Waggett gives a debut to new signing Johnny Wright at right back and James Lambert a rare start on the left of midfield. Other new signings Mark Graham, Alfonso Piola and Jehad Muntasser make the bench.

It was Oxford who started the brighter, Lambert winning an eighth minute corner from which Kevin Francis hit the bar as they looked to get an early goal. Winger Joey Beauchamp pushed into a central strikers role by Waggett was proving the most dangerous testing Chesterfield 'keeper Mark Gayle with a stinging drive after just 15 minutes and also Tony Carss tested Arendse from long range soon after it wasn't a huge surprize when Oxford did take the lead. Paul Powell moved forward unopposed from his left back role to the edge of the box before crossing low into the path of Robert Folland, unfortunately Folland found his path blocked by Ian Breckin but from the ball loose ball Joey Beauchamp hammered home to give Oxford a 1-0 lead after 25 minutes. It was almost two four minutes later as Kevin Francis showed quick feet to hit a snapshot from the edge of the box after good work from Peter Fear but Gayle was alert to turn it around the post.

The second half started with Oxford looking to increase their lead and it only took four minutes before they got a major chance. James Lambert found space in the box but was crudely hacked fown by Chris Perkins, who recieved a yellow card for his efforts. Joey Beauchamp stepped up and slotted the penalty low past Gayle to cap what had been a fine personal performance by the Oxford winger. Chesterfield went close to pulling one back shortly afterwards through a long range Carss effort but it should have been Beauchamp who scored the next goal dragging a shot wide from inside the area with a hattrick looking likely. Chesterfield did eventually pull one back Carss robbing substitute Piola on the half way line before advancing quickly and finding David Reeves on the edge of the box. A sharp turn by the big striker saw him create space and somehow he squeezed a low effort past Andre Arendse with little under 11 minutes to play. Oxford were immediately up the other end looking to extend the gap however but Gayle again pulled off a good save to stop a dipping Peter Fear drive and although chances did fall their way again it was Chesterfield who almost stole a point in the dieing moments. Substitute Andy Rushbury finding himself in acres of space inside the box but fortunately for Oxford Arendse managed to pull off a brilliant save with the ball arching towards the top corner.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Oxford United 2 (Beauchamp 25, pen 49)

Chesterfield 1 (Reeves 79)

Attendance - 6,269

(4-3-3)

Andre Arendse - Johnny Wright, Paul Powell, Steve Davis (bk), Phil Whelan - Mark Watson, Robert Folland (Alfonso Piola 73), Peter Fear ©, James Lambert - Joey Beauchamp, Kevin Francis

Unused Subs - PÃ¥l Lundin (gk), Steve Anthrobus, Mark Graham, Jehad Muntasser</pre>

[This message was edited by Wag on 24 April 2004 at 22:39.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Fifty Up for Beauchamp

Monday 20th March 2000

Joey Beauchamp now has fifty goals for Oxford following his double against Chesterfield. His first was his 50th for the club and his third of the season, shortly followed by his fourth and 51st coming in his 284th appearence for the club.

Versatile Canadian defender Mark Watson has gone on the transfer list at his own request. Watson is unlikely to be offered a new contract and has recently stated he will be leaving the club when his contract expires in June. This comes despite Watson having played 49 times for the club since joining from Swedish club Öster in 1998.

The club has also agreed terms with four players for Bosman moves. Stoke City attacking midfielder David Oldfield. Oldfield (31) will move in the summer when his contract expires and can play on the right or in the centre. Also set to join are Derby County's English/Australian left back Tony Dorigo (34), Morecambe right winger Justin Jackson (25) and Nottingham Forest goalkeeper Dave Beasant (40).

Derek Lilley resumes full training and should play some part tomorrow night at Luton.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tuesday 21st March 2000

Kenilworth Road, Luton

Luton Town vs Oxford United

Oxford came away from Luton with a point but in all honesty it could have been three had they taken the chances that befell them. It was actually Luton who started the stronger though Andre Arendse being forced into a smart save at the feet of striker Liam George and then minutes later defender Marvin Johnson going close with a long range freekick. They even hit the bar from left winger Andre Scarlett's long range volley but from then on it was all Oxford as Mark Watson, Robert Folland (who hit the bar with a neat cross shot) and Kevin Francis all tested Nathan Abbey before half time.

Luton started the second half much like they began the first - Gavin McGowan forcing Arendse into two stunning saves from freekicks around the area. It wasn't long though until Oxford were back in their stride and soon they were in front. Joey Beauchamp tore down the left flank before cutting inside and finding Peter Fear on the edge of the area. Fear twisted inside his man and advanced on Abbey before drilling his shot across the 'keeper into the top corner of the net for a 61st minute opener, his first for the club.

The lead didn't last long though a McGowan freekick deflected off Phil Whelan for a corner and from the resulting kick Stuart Fraser powered home Johnson's swinging effort for his first ever goal for Luton. Beauchamp and Andrew Fotiadis traded half chances in the closing stages but in the end I think both managers will be satisfied with the point.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Luton Town 1 (Fraser 68)

Oxford United 1 (Fear 61)

Attendance - 8,491

(4-3-3)

Andre Arendse - Johnny Wright, Paul Powell, Steve Davis (bk), Phil Whelan - Mark Watson, Robert Folland, Peter Fear © (bk), James Lambert - Joey Beauchamp, Kevin Francis (Derek Lilley 76)

Unused Subs - PÃ¥l Lundin (gk), Steve Anthrobus, Mark Graham, Ben Abbey</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Transfer Deadline Day Deals

Friday 24rd March 2000

Oxford United were very busy in the transfer market today bringing in four new players as well as announcing the arrival of several other new faces for next season.

The first to join was Watford's Nick Wright. Wright (24) first came to prominance during a loan spell at Carlisle United whilst playing for his first club Derby County before being snapped up by present club Watford for whom he played thirty three times last season. Injuries have however blighted his second season, as he has appeared just four times. Wright signs on loan until the end of the season.

Wright said: "Obviously it's a bit of a wrench to leave Watford so soon as I'm just returning to full fitness but joining Oxford gives me the chance to get some games under my belt before I return to Watford for pre season and hopefully get my chance to make a mark on the Premiership."

Another loan signing until the end of the season was Chelsea's Paul Hughes. Hughes (23) is a left sided midfielder who has found it difficult to break into the Chelsea first team and see's the move as a chance to impress scouts and perhaps earn himself a permanent move.

Hughes said: "I'm very grateful of Jamie for giving me this chance. I know he's unlikely to be able to afford to buy me from Chelsea but if I impress perhaps the two clubs can come to some sort of agreement. Who knows what the future holds?"

The third player into The Manor Ground was a surprize even to most of those well connected within the club. Former Sporting Gijón defender Rubén Darío Acebal. Acebal (25) has played 99 games for the Gijón outfit at Full and B level and found himself surplus to requirements after he was told his contract wasn't going to be renued, the Spaniard is most likely to slot into the center of defence but can also play as a sweeper has signed a three year contract.

Jamie Waggett said: "You have no idea how delighted I am to have finally secured the signing of Rubén. We beat off competition from several other sides including two in the Spanish top flight, I just hope he settles quickly but fully believe he has what it takes to be a truely great player for the club."

The final player was former Oldham Athletic manager Andy Ritchie joined the club on a short term contract until the end of the season. Ritchie (39) had appeared 31 times for his former club scoring 3 times this season and can play either as a right sided attacking midfielder or a central striker.

Ritchie said: "Jamie's given me the chance to finish the season with Oxford and perhaps put myself in the frame for a coaching position at the club next season. I don't mind if I'm not playing I'm just here to add a little bit of experience on the training ground."

In other news the club revealed that a move for recently sacked Fulham manager Paul Bracewell fell through after they ran out of time to complete the deal. The defensive midfielder who has appeared thirty times for the club this season was set to sign a short term contract with the club but the deadline got in the way, it's thought they might be a way to get around it though by offering him a coaching role and then registering him as a player. We shall wait and see.

And finally the club revealed four more new signings for next season. They are Chesterfield central defender Ian Breckin (25), Wimbledon duo goalkeeper Paul Heald (31) and midfielder Stewart Castledine (27) and Everton keeper Paul Gerrard (27).

The moves for Heald and Gerrard put in doubt the futures of current goalkeepers Andre Arendse and PÃ¥l Lundin as well as that of possible summer signing Dave Beasant. When asked about the situation manager Waggett replied "We'll cross that path when it comes to the end of the season. For now I just want the current 'keepers - Arendse and Lundin to concentrate on their form and the job in hand."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 25th March 2000

The Manor Ground, Oxford

Oxford United vs Reading

Oxford United gave a full debut to new signing Nick Wright and places on the bench went to other signings Paul Hughes, Andy Ritchie and Rubén Darío Acebal in what was to prove a frenetic derby game. Reading had the first chance of the match when right winger Sean Evers cleverly turned Paul Powell on the edge of the box but his tenth minute effort barely troubled Arendse as it drifted just wide of the far upright. It didn't take Oxford long to find their rythem though and with their first real chance of the match they scored. Derek Lilley was allowed time and space to run down the Reading right wing before crossing low into the path of strike partner Joey Beauchamp. Beauchamp took a touch before boring down on goal crashing a low shot past 'keeper Scott Howie to give the home side a 15th minute lead. Lilley was again involved on the half hour as Oxford looked to stretch their lead, the Scottish striker seized on a pass from Johnny Wright and drilled a low bouncing effort from 25 yards out that Howie did well to turn away and then better to smother the loose ball as Beauchamp approached at speed. It was looking like just a matter of time for Oxford as James Lambert and Nick Wright started to find more space and time on the flanks but it was Reading who threatened again through Evers - the Irish youngster crashing in a long distance shot that Arendse had to tip over the bar, it proved to be only a false dawn though as Oxford did increase their lead on the stroke of half time. Peter Fear dispossed Sean Evers and fed Mark Watson who strode forward before putting a neat ball inside Reading left back for the onrushing Nick Wright to pick up and crash home past Howie. It was the simplest of goals from Wright and I doubt he could have asked for much more on his debut.

Paul Hughes came on for Mark Watson at half time for his debut, the Canadian had to come off after picking up a knock but it was an unlikely source who threatend most in the early stages of the second half. Lilley and Beauchamp had forced Howie into good blocks with close range efforts before a succession of corners saw Phil Whelan come close on three occasions to nearly increasing the lead. The defender being denied by a post, a goal line clearance and finally Howie. How he must have wished he'd converted one when on 70 minutes Reading pulled one back. Paul Hughes was adjudged to have handled on the edge of the box and Chris Casper crisply cracked home the resulting freekick. It sprung Jamie Waggett into action as Andy Ritchie and Rubén Darío Acebal both soon made their way into the action. It was the former who produced the most problems for Reading as Ritchie belied his aged years to test Howie with an acrobatic volley and then a diving header. However, it was nearly all in vain as in the final minute Nicky Forster found himself in acres of space and motering into the Oxford penalty area, he jinked inside an onrushing defender before crashing in a wicked shot but somehow Arendse pulled off a brilliant one handed save to tip the ball away to safety and give Oxford the points.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Oxford United 2 (Beauchamp 15, N.Wright 44)

Reading 1 (Casper 71)

Attendance - 9, 609

(4-3-3)

Andre Arendse - Johnny Wright (Andy Ritchie 72), Paul Powell (bk) (Rubén Darío Acebal 72), Steve Davis (bk), Phil Whelan - Mark Watson (Paul Hughes 46), Nick Wright, Peter Fear © (bk), James Lambert (bk) - Joey Beauchamp, Derek Lilley

Unused Subs - PÃ¥l Lundin (gk), Ben Abbey</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pre-Contracts

Wednesday 29th March 2000

Oxford United today confirmed the signing of Luton Town defender Marvin Johnson (31), Scunthorpe United's versatile

utility man Steve Housham (24), Port Vale winger Wayne Corden (24) and Stoke City right wingback Jason Kavanagh (28) after

all four signed pre contract agreements.

It is muted that several other players are likely to be on there way into the club as well as out. One such player is

left winger Jamie Cook (20). Cook has agreed to join Bristol City after the club accepted an £85k bid from the Robins,

he has appeared five times this season and 44 times in total for Oxford scoring 3 times in the process. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Oxford in Trouble

Friday 31st March 2000

Oxford United have been placed in administration hours before tomorrow's game away at Scunthorpe United it has been revealed.

Chairman Firoz Kassam has announced that he will continue to chairman the club for at least the foreseeable future.

"I will officially sign the document that places Oxford United Football Club in administration," he said.

With debts in the region of £12 million, not the £20m some reports had suggested, it appears the club's main creditors have run out of patience with the Manor Ground club.

And Kassam, who admitted that "clearly, others have lost confidence in me. When it was made known to me that the club might be taken into administration, I have done my utmost to try to convince those parties involved that the situation could be successfully resolved, No avenue of opportunity was left unexplored and I did everything I could - and have continued to try again and again over the weekend to gain the support of the bank. But, unfortunately, my petitions were unsuccessful."

Kassam praised the club's supporters and urged them not to lose heart.

"They have given their all and there is nothing that anyone involved with this club should be ashamed of," he insisted.

The Oxford United board have said that manager Jamie Waggett may no longer be in a position to refuse reasonable transfer offers for any squad member. What with the recent pre-negotiated departure of young winger Jamie Cook it seems many more may soon follow. Also many of the players pre-contracted to join the club in the summer may be asked to re-negotiate their contracts or transfers cancelled altogether. It is truely a harrowing time for all those involved with the club. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saturday 1st April 2000

Glanford Park, Scunthorpe

Scunthorpe United vs Oxford United

After last weeks excellent derby win against Reading Oxford were looking to get their first away win under new manager Jamie Waggett and started with the same line-up as the previous game after Mark Watson recovered from a knock.

It was Oxford who started the brighter going close from a Derek Lilley header as early as the third minute after being found by James Lambert, the left winger was to have a tempestuous game and was booked with-in the first minute for a foul on Russell Wilcox. It was Lambert who was involved five minutes later though as he found Joey Beauchamp with a crisp through ball, Beauchamp raced onto the pass and looked to round Scunthorpe goalkeeper Steve Banks but was sent crashing to the ground by the stopper leaving the referee with no choice but to award a penalty and give Banks his marching orders for a professional foul. On came sub Barry Richardson for his debut but he could do little as Beauchamp picked himself up and blasted home the penalty for his sixth goal of the season.

Despite having just ten men it was Scunthorpe who had the next best chance almost drawing level after Gareth Sheldon broke through the defence but found Arendse in good form, the South African 'keeper producing a smart stop to keep the scores level. It didn't stay that way though and with thirty minutes on the clock Sheldon was again causing problems and when the referee adjudged Phil Whelan had pushed the striker in the box he awarded a penalty, from which John Cornforth strode up and slotted home his first goal for the homeside. From then on it was all Oxford with Beauchamp and Lilley being denied several times by Richardson as it finished 1-1 at the break.

The second half started with a bang, especially for Scunthorpe's Spanish midfielder Alex Calvo-Garcia as James Lambert took offence to something and kicked the playmaker to the ground. He recieved a straight red and a subsequent four match ban. It didn't seem to bother Oxford though as they switched to just one up from with Beauchamp reverting to a wide midfield role. It was the lone striker up front who struck Lilley seizing on a bouncing ball in the box to fire home his ninth goal of the season and make it 2-1 with 53 minutes on the clock. Scunthorpe layed seige to Oxford goal but everytime Andre Arendse managed to get something on the ball and keep it out, with time running out and Scunthorpe clearly tiring Nick Wright recieved the ball on the half way line and danced through a static midfield before being cruely brought down on the edge of the box. Joey Beauchamp stepped up and flighted the freekick over the wall and into the bottom corner of the net, it was a lovely goal and sealed Oxford's victory.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scunthorpe United 1 (Cornforth pen 30)

Oxford United 3 (Beauchamp pen 8 & 90, Lilley 53)

Attendance - 6, 699

(4-3-3)

Andre Arendse - Johnny Wright, Paul Powell (bk), Steve Davis, Phil Whelan (bk) - Mark Watson (Paul Hughes 72), Nick Wright, Peter Fear ©, James Lambert (s/o) - Joey Beauchamp, Derek Lilley

Unused Subs - Pål Lundin (gk), Rubén Darío Acebal, Ben Abbey, Andy Ritchie</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Awards, Awards Awards

Wednesday 5th April 2000

The Players Player of the Year award was won by Liverpool's Michael Owen, his strike partner Robbie Fowler came second while third was Manchester United's Andy Cole.

The Players Young Player of the Year award went to Leeds United's Alan Smith, second was his team mate Harry Kewell whilst Everton's Michael Ball was voted third.

In other news Oxford United have confirmed reserve goalkeeper PÃ¥l Lundin will leave the club at the end of the season after the player and management came to a mutual agreement over the remainding two years of his contract. Swedish Lundin (35) has played six times for the club so far this season conceding seven goals in the process but has not featured under Jamie Waggett.

The club are in talks with several players with regards to joining come the summer, names mentioned so far have been Leicester City striker Tony Cottee, Motherwell's Don Goodman and former Arsenal midfielder John Jensen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saturday 8th April 2000

The Racecourse Ground, Wrexham

Wrexham vs Oxford United

Oxford United gave a full debut to Spanish defender Rubén Darío Acebal, in for the suspended Steve Davis as they looked to continue their good form of late under Jamie Waggett. From the off their intentions were obvious to keep possession and attack, it certainly paid off as after just five minutes they scored. Nick Wright brought the ball down neatly from a Mark Watson throwp-in before heading down the right wing, he cut inside his man as he made it to the penalty area and then unselfishly squared the ball to an unmarked Derek Lilley to hammer home his tenth of the season. Karl Connelly threatened to pull on back soon after but soon Wrexham found themselves two down. Paul Powell and Mark Watson combined to release Peter Fear inside the area and the Oxford captain savagely drove home a right footed shot that wouldn't have looked out of place at a higher level - Oxford were coasting and it showed as they scored again some 15 minutes later. The Spaniard Acebal skipping past two challenges before weighting a superb pass into the onrushing Joey Beauchamp. Beauchamp twisted and turned to loose his man before striking the ball hard and low past Kevin Dearden. The goal seemed to spark Wrexham into lise but Adrense was equal to efforts from Martin Chalk and Gareth Owen as Oxford went into the break 3-0 up.

Wrexham continued to press after the break and pulled one back with just two minutes of the half gone, experienced forward Kevin Russell shrugged off Nick Wright and fed David Lowe, the former Leicester man wasting no time in smashing a drive past Arendse from the left hand angle of the area, 3-1. Wrexham continued to pile forward but time and time again Arendse proved to good - stopping several efforts from Dean Spink as well as countless others from Lowe and sub Stephen Rishworth. The fact that Oxford didn't have a shot in the second half perhaps shows how dominant Wrexham were for the entire second period but they just couldn't beat Arendse and he was rightfully rewarded the man of the match award, perhaps sending out a note to manager Jamie Waggett that he shouldn't be thinking about a replacement just yet...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Wrexham 1 (Lowe 47)

Oxford United 3 (Lilley 5, Fear 16, Beauchamp 31)

Attendance - 5, 295

(4-3-3)

Andre Arendse - Johnny Wright, Paul Powell (Paul Hughes 67), Rubén Darío Acebal, Phil Whelan (bk) - Mark Watson, Nick Wright, Peter Fear ©, James Lambert - Joey Beauchamp, Derek Lilley

Unused Subs - PÃ¥l Lundin (gk), Les Robinson, Ben Abbey, Andy Ritchie</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Jensen will join!

Tuesday 11th April 2000

Former Danish International John Jensen will join Oxford United in the summer it was revealed today. Jensen (34) is currently a free agent after being sacked by his previous club Danish side Herfølge Boldklub (who he was player/manager of), he appeared twenty-one times in his final season for them scoring twice and is expected to take on a player/coaching role at the Manor Ground as Jamie Waggett looks to restructure the coaching staff. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saturday 15th April 2000

The Manor Ground, Oxford

Oxford United vs Burnley

Oxford United gave Mark Graham a debut in place of the suspended James Lambert whilst Rubén Darío Acebal kept his place in the centre of defence alongside Phil Whelan. Paul Tait also came into the side for the first time under Jamie Waggett in place of Mark Watson as Waggett looked to next season. The match started slowly although Paul Cook had a header well saved by Arendse in the early stages. It was Oxford who went closest though Paul Tait seeing a shot parried to safety by Andy Paxton with twenty minutes on the clock. Ten minutes later the home side were in front, Acebal found Peter Fear and the central midfielder strode forward before unleashing a dipping shot from just outside the area that swerved away from Paxton and found the back of the net with some aplomb. Lilley almost increased the lead with Oxford's very next attack but they didn't have to wait long as on the stroke of half time Mark Graham plowed down the left wing before teeing up Beauchamp. The forward took a touch and somehow managed to squeeze the ball past Paxton at his near post, 2-0.

Oxford started the second half like they'd finished the first...with a goal. Paul Powell stroked a forty yard pass onto the head of Derek Lilley and the Scottish striker lept magnificently to lob the ball over Paxton to make it 3-0. It was really all Oxford Acebal went close with a long range volley before they increased there lead in the fifty-forth minute, Peter Fear gathering up a loose ball inside the Burnley half and advancing to the edge of the area before drilling a low shot past Paxton to make it 4-0. It seemed to stem Burnley into an attack as Mellon went close before they did eventually pull one back with fourteen minutes to go. Andy Paxton fed Ronnie Jepson in the area but somehow Phil Whelan managed to get back but sadly could only turn the ball past Arendse for a comical own goal instead of diverting it around the post. It finished 4-1.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Oxford United 4 (Fear 29 & 54, Beauchamp 45, Lilley 47)

Burnley 1 (Whelan og 76)

Attendance - 7, 298

(4-3-3)

Andre Arendse - Johnny Wright, Paul Powell, Rubén Darío Acebal (bk), Phil Whelan - Paul Tait (Paul Hughes 56), Nick Wright, Peter Fear ©, Mark Graham - Joey Beauchamp, Derek Lilley

Unused Subs - PÃ¥l Lundin (gk), Mark Watson, Kevin Francis, Andy Ritchie</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Acebal Injured

Monday 17th April 2000

Oxford United, currently 11th place in the Second Division will have to do without Spanish defender Rubén Darío Acebal the next three games after he suffered a damaged shoulder in training. Acebal had been a revelation since gaining a starting berth in the last two games impressing not only Oxford fans but the Press and away fans alike.

In other news the club confirmed the signing of Leicester City striker Tony Cottee on a pre-contract agreement. Cottee (34) has scored five goals for Leicester this season in twenty-one games and has scored over two hundred goals in his career. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saturday 22nd April 2000

The Manor Ground, Oxford

Oxford United vs Gillingham

Defender Steve Davis returned to the side in place of the injured Rubén Darío Acebal as Oxford looked to continue there resurgence against play-off hopefuls Gillingham. Oxford troubled Gill's 'keeper Jim Stannard time after time in the opening ten minutes going closest through a Derek Lilley volley before they did take the lead. Right back Johnny Wright came forward before finding Lilley on the edge of the box who inturn found Joey Beauchamp. Beauchamp lost his man before half volleying the ball home for his tenth goal of the season. On thirty-six minutes they doubled the lead. Lilley collecting a Patterson header playing a one-two with Peter Fear before curling the ball with the outside of his right foot past Stannard for a superb goal, 2-0 and that's how it stayed as the game drifted towards half time.

Sadly for Oxford defender Phil Whelan had to replaced by Mark Watson just after half time, the 27 year old picking up a thigh strain and failing to run it off but he wasn't missed as Oxford again attacked Gillingham relentlessly. Lilley had gone close with a long-range effort before they made it three, from the penalty spot Adie Pennock was all over Derek Lilley like a cheap **** and when Lilley went down the referee had no hestitation but to award the spot-kick. Beauchamp stepped up and crashed the ball home, 3-0. From then on as it had been for most of the match it was all Oxford and with just three minutes of normal time remaining Lilley drove home a low first time right footed shot that left Stannard with no chance and saw the Scot claim his 13 goal of the season.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Oxford United 4 (Beauchamp 13, pen 59 and Lilley 36, 87)

Gillingham 0

Attendance - 8, 083

(4-3-3)

Andre Arendse - Johnny Wright, Paul Powell, Steve Davis, Phil Whelean (Mark Watson 53) - Paul Tait, Nick Wright, Peter Fear ©, Mark Graham - Joey Beauchamp, Derek Lilley (bk)

Unused Subs - PÃ¥l Lundin (gk), Paul Hughes, Kevin Francis, Andy Ritchie</pre>

Monday 24th April 2000

The Manor Ground, Oxford

Oxford United vs Blackpool

Oxford went into the game with slim hopes of sneaking a Playoff place and knew that only a win would do if they were to keep their dream alive. Missing for Oxford was defender Phil Whelan who didn't recover from his thigh strain whilst the rest of the side was unchanged. The home side came out of the blocks fast and within the opening ten minutes had already test Blackpool goalkeeper Adam Rachel as Paul Powell and Derek Lilley both went close although it wasn't all one way traffic and Andre Arendse had to be alert to save a Jason Blunt header. It was soon apparent that it was only a matter of time before Oxford scored though as Powell and Fear both went close before in the 33rd minute Powell again was involved. Crossing from the left for Derek Lilley to fire home his 14th of the season. There then followed a period of intense Blackpool pressure but Arendse was on hand time and time again to save and keep the score 1-0 as the match reached half time.

The second half started in blockbuster fashion Arendse had already made a fine save from a Phil Thompson header before the South African was dismissed after he bought down Denny Mundee inside the area. The red card meant Pål Lundin was called into action for the first time under Jamie Waggett and he showed his worth with a fine reflex save stopped low to his left to flick Thompson's powerful spotkick around the post. Two minutes later Oxford doubled their lead, Thompson giving away a freekick that the ever impressive Joey Beauchamp fired over the wall and past Rachel for his 12th goal of the season and his tenth in the last eight games - some return from a player who seems to have really found their niché under manager Jamie Waggett. From then on it was plain sailing for Oxford as Blackpool offered little in the way of attack and Beauchamp could have made it 3-0 had his late freekick been an inch lower but instead it went over with Rachel struggling to reach it. The result see's Oxford up to eighth just three points off sixth placed Millwall although Waggett wouldn't be drawn into whether or not he felt the playoffs were a realistic target.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Oxford United 2 (Lilley 33, Beauchamp 55)

Blackpool 0 (Thompson missed pen 53)

Attendance - 6, 785

(4-3-3)

Andre Arendse (s/off) - Johnny Wright, Paul Powell, Steve Davis, Mark Watson (bk) - Paul Tait (PÃ¥l Lundin 52), Nick Wright, Peter Fear ©, Mark Graham (Paul Hughes 91) - Joey Beauchamp, Derek Lilley (Kevin Francis 80)

Unused Subs - Les Robinson, Andy Ritchie</pre>

Saturday 29th April 2000

The Memorial Stadium, Bristol

Bristol Rovers vs Oxford United

Oxford travelled to the Memorial Stadium looking to keep their slim hopes of snatching a playoff spot alive after last weeks 2-0 win over Blackpool. They made only one change with Paul Hughes coming into the side for the injured Mark Graham and started brightly but it was Bristol Rovers who went closest in the early exchanges as Jamie Cureton saw a header and then a snapshot well saved by Arendse but slowly Oxford came into the game, Nick Wright finding space twice to test Lee Jones with stinging efforts when other players perhaps might have looked to cross. Jason Roberts hit a post for Rovers after twenty minutes and how he must have wished it had gone in when on twenty-five minutes Oxford stole in front. Johnny Wright robbed Ronnie Mauge and found Peter Fear with a square pass, Fear playing in central midfield advanced before lofting a beautiful forty-five yard pass into the path of striker Derek Lilley, the 26 year old Scottish front man beat Lee Jones to the ball and headed into an empty net to make it one-nil and should have increased the lead minutes later after finding himself free at the back post but his tame effort hit the side netting. He was made to rue his miss later as Rovers came into the game Mauge hitting the bar before on the stroke of halftime Jason Roberts acrobatically smashed home a Robbie Pethick corner to bring the side level at the break.

Lilley twice went close in the opening stages of the second half, forcing Jones into a save from a diving header after being found my Nick Wright and then blasting high and wide after creating space for himself on the edge of the box. Roberts and Michael Meeker both went close for Rovers before Cureton struck the bar with a long range effort as time looked to be running out but then minutes after Cureton had again gone close it was Oxford who struck. Nick Wright finding Derek Lilley on the edge of the area, Lilley twisting and turning before drilling a low shot past Jones to make it 2-1. The match wasn't over though and although Cureton tested Arendse late on even the sending off of defender Steve Davis for a second bookable offence couldn't dampen Oxford's resolve and they came away with the points.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Bristol Rovers 1 (Roberts 45)

Oxford United 2 (Lilley 25, 82)

Attendance - 8, 283

(4-3-3)

Andre Arendse - Johnny Wright, Paul Powell, Steve Davis (s/off), Mark Watson - Paul Tait , Nick Wright, Peter Fear ©, Paul Hughes - Joey Beauchamp, Derek Lilley

Unused Subs - PÃ¥l Lundin, Matt Murphy, Steve Anthrobus, Kevin Francis, Andy Ritchie</pre>

Saturday 6th May 2000

The Manor Ground, Oxford

Oxford United vs Wigan Athletic

Oxford had to win and hope other results went their way if they were to capture the final playoff place and featured a slightly changed line-up to that of the previous game, Rubén Darío Acebal and Phil Whelan came into the center of defence in place of Steve Davis and Mark Watson after both players recovered from injures whilst Paul Hughes also dropped to the bench as James Lambert reclaimed his starting berth after completing a suspension. It was Lambert who was to have a fruitful day opened the scoring on his return after just three minutes. Paul Tait won a freekick towards the left of the area and the former Reading and Walsall man strode up and curled the ball perfectly over the wall to give Derek Stillie no chance and Oxford the lead. It was his first of the season and also his first for the club. It was proving to be a virtuoso show from the talented winger as minutes later he fed Lilley inside the area after a mazy run but the Scottish striker stroked the ball wide with just Stillie to beat. Paul Tait twice went close for the home side before they did again score, Paul Powell going down on the edge of the area and James Lambert repeated his earlier effort to flight a brilliant freekick past Stillie to double Oxfords lead and also his personal tally for the season, it came on the stroke of half time.

Wigan finally put some pressure on the Oxford goal in the second half and went close on the hour mark to pulling a goal back. Roberto Martínez threading a pass behind the Oxford defence but the usually reliable Greame Jones snatched at his effort hitting his shot into the hands of Arendse when either side of the South African would surely have bought a goal. The home side were soon back on the attack though as Beauchamp looked to add to his goal glut of recent weeks but he was to provide provider instead for much of this match setting up Derek Lilley with twenty minutes to go after a mazy dribble down the left but the Scotsman snapshot drifted just wide with Stillie well beaten. It was to prove his final chance of the match as he was replaced by Kevin Francis, Jamie Waggett giving the tall front man a final run out for the club he has proved so effective for this season. Another player leaving the club in the summer Mark Watson also came on for Paul Tait and both players recieved a rapturous applause from the home fans. Soon after Arendse saved well from Brian McLaughlin and Waggett sent on another player making his final appearence for the club - Steve Davis replacing Phil Whelan with just ten minutes to go. It was fitting that Davis, who appeared 47 times for the club this season was involved in the final telling moment of the match winning a header that sent Paul Powell scurrying down the left. The left back sent the ball inside to midfielder Peter Fear, the captain taking a touch before lashing home a savage right footed shot to make it 3-0 and round off an excellent final few weeks of the season for Oxford. Unfortunately results elsewhere meant that it was not to be as far as the playoffs were concerned but under manager Jamie Waggett (nine wins and a draw in just ten games since he took over) the club will surely be confident of challenging next season.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Oxford United 3 (Lambert 3 & 45, Fear 89)

Wigan Athletic 0

Attendance - 7, 945

(4-3-3)

Andre Arendse - Johnny Wright, Paul Powell, Rubén Darío Acebal, Phil Whelan - Paul Tait , Nick Wright, Peter Fear ©, James Lambert - Joey Beauchamp, Derek Lilley

Unused Subs - PÃ¥l Lundin, Mark Watson, Steve Davis, Kevin Francis, Paul Hughes</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">English Second Division 1999/0 Table

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st C Wycombe 46 12 2 9 40 28 15 4 4 37 16 87

2nd P Bristol C 46 10 6 7 31 23 13 8 2 32 15 83

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd P Brentford 46 11 5 7 36 27 11 7 5 29 25 78

4th Burnley 46 11 8 4 23 16 11 4 8 23 24 78

5th Millwall 46 13 7 3 39 23 8 5 10 26 25 75

6th Notts C 46 12 6 5 35 23 10 3 10 25 22 75

7th Oxford 46 13 4 6 34 21 7 8 8 22 22 72

8th Cambridge Utd 46 11 8 4 34 21 6 9 8 21 24 68

9th Wigan 46 9 6 8 28 25 10 5 8 22 23 68

10th Gillingham 46 8 5 10 25 28 10 8 5 28 23 67

11th Bristol R 46 6 11 6 23 21 10 5 8 24 19 64

12th Cardiff 46 5 11 7 18 23 9 8 6 22 19 61

13th Luton 46 8 6 9 22 21 8 6 9 21 20 60

14th Blackpool 46 10 7 6 24 15 6 5 12 24 32 60

15th Bournemouth 46 8 4 11 19 26 8 7 8 27 31 59

16th Chesterfield 46 9 6 8 30 31 6 7 10 26 26 58

17th Stoke 46 7 6 10 14 19 8 5 10 18 24 56

18th Preston 46 8 5 10 17 20 7 5 11 27 29 55

19th Reading 46 7 8 8 29 28 6 8 9 27 34 55

20th Wrexham 46 8 7 8 19 21 6 5 12 28 32 54

21st R Scunthorpe 46 7 4 12 40 52 6 8 9 29 39 51

22nd R Bury 46 8 4 11 21 30 5 6 12 28 37 49

23rd R Oldham 46 6 9 8 17 23 4 8 11 23 33 47

24th R Colchester 46 4 4 15 10 35 2 5 16 11 34 27

</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1999/0 Goals

Pos Player Club Apps Gls

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Andy Scott Brentford 48 24

2nd Sean Devine Wycombe 34 23

3rd David Reeves Chesterfield 46 20

4th Tony Thorpe Bristol C 40 18

5th Gary Bull Scunthorpe 35 (1) 17

6th Stuart Douglas Luton 36 (1) 17

7th Nicky Forster Reading 45 17

8th Lloyd Owusu Brentford 42 16

9th Baichung Bhutia Bury 37 16

10th Derek Lilley Oxford 24 (1) 16

1999/0 Assists

Pos Player Club Apps Asts

1st Martin Rowlands Portsmouth 47 20

2nd Lee Holsgrove Ipswich 34 (1) 18

3rd Roberto Martínez Wigan 33 15

4th Justin Walker Coventry 45 14

5th Lucas Neill Ipswich 34 13

6th Kevin Rapley Notts C 44 13

7th Karl Connolly Wrexham 37 (2) 12

8th Tony Folan Bristol C 34 (1) 12

9th Jason Bowen Cardiff 41 12

10th Ronnie Mauge Bristol R 32 11

1999/0 Average Rating

Pos Player Club Apps Av R

1st Nathan Abbey Luton 23 7.43

2nd Paul Williams Bury 23 7.43

3rd Gary Kelly Oldham 31 7.29

4th Stephen Foster Brentford 45 7.27

5th Sean Devine Wycombe 34 7.26

6th Martin Rowlands Portsmouth 47 7.26

7th Shaun Taylor Bristol C 45 7.24

8th Darren Ward Notts C 30 7.23

9th Lee Jones Bristol R 46 7.22

10th Andre Arendse Oxford 40 7.20</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Oxford United Squad

No Name Position(s) Nat Born Age Caps Gls Wages Expires Value

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17 Abbey, Ben S C ENG 5.10.79 20 - - £500 19.6.01 £15K

28 Acebal, Rubén Darío SW/D C ESP 25.3.75 25 - - £2.7K 12.6.03 £70K

9 Anthrobus, Steve D/F RC ENG 10.11.68 31 - - £2.7K 14.6.02 £90K

1 Arendse, Andre GK RSA 27.6.67 32 27 - £2.7K 1.7.01 £160K

11 Beauchamp, Joey AM/F RL ENG 13.3.71 29 - - £2.8K 12.6.03 £300K

6 Cook, Jamie AM L ENG 2.8.79 20 - - £1K 13.6.04 £85K

14 Davis, Steve D C ENG 26.7.65 34 - - £1.8K 30.6.00 £40K

4 Fear, Peter DM C ENG 10.9.73 26 - - £5.5K 2.6.03 £160K

16 Folland, Robert AM/F RC WAL 16.9.79 20 - - £500 20.6.03 £25K

18 Francis, Kevin S C ENG 6.12.67 32 - - £1.8K 30.6.00 £80K

22 Graham, Mark D/M L NIR 24.10.74 25 - - £1.4K 12.6.02 £40K

26 Hughes, Paul M L ENG 19.4.76 24 - - £2.2K 22.7.00 £2.2M

12 Lambert, James AM L ENG 14.9.73 26 - - £2.7K 6.6.05 £130K

10 Lilley, Derek S C SCO 9.2.74 26 - - £7K 1.7.02 £150K

13 Lundin, Pål GK SWE 21.11.64 35 - - £2.7K 17.6.02 £85K

20 McGowan, Neil D L SCO 15.4.77 23 - - £150 4.6.03 £0

24 Muntasser, Jehad S C LBY 26.7.78 21 - - £100 12.6.05 £80K

7 Murphy, Matt AM/F C ENG 20.8.71 28 - - £1K 11.6.05 £85K

23 Piola, Alfonso S C BRA 1.11.79 20 - - £1.6K 13.6.03 £70K

3 Powell, Paul D/M L ENG 30.6.78 21 - - £2.4K 12.6.03 £110K

27 Ritchie, Andy AM/F RC ENG 28.11.60 39 - - £675 18.6.01 £15K

2 Robinson, Les SW/D RC ENG 1.3.67 33 - - £1.5K 17.6.02 £40K

8 Tait, Paul DM C ENG 31.1.71 29 - - £2.7K 1.6.02 £170K

5 Watson, Mark SW/D/DM C CAN 8.9.70 29 51 - £2.7K 1.6.00 £100K

15 Weatherstone, Simon S C ENG 26.1.80 20 - - £800 28.6.00 £4K

19 Whelan, Phil D C ENG 7.8.72 27 - - £2.4K 12.6.03 £130K

21 Wright, Johnny D R NIR 24.11.75 24 - - £2.4K 12.6.02 £50K

25 Wright, Nick AM R ENG 15.10.75 24 - - £2.5K 22.7.00 £1.2M

</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Oxford United Senior Club Stats

No Name Apps Gls Con Pens Asts Yel Red MoM Av R

17 Abbey, Ben - - - - - - - - ----

28 Acebal, Rubén Darío 3 (1) 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 7.25

9 Anthrobus, Steve 31 4 0 0 2 2 0 2 6.71

1 Arendse, Andre 45 0 42 0 0 0 1 7 7.20

11 Beauchamp, Joey 48 12 0 3 (3) 11 0 0 0 6.79

6 Cook, Jamie 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.40

14 Davis, Steve 46 (1) 0 0 0 0 11 1 2 7.06

4 Fear, Peter 44 5 0 0 3 4 0 0 6.82

16 Folland, Robert 11 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 6.82

18 Francis, Kevin 40 (2) 8 0 0 9 1 1 1 6.43

22 Graham, Mark 3 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.00

26 Hughes, Paul 1 (5) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.67

12 Lambert, James 13 2 0 0 3 3 1 0 6.62

10 Lilley, Derek 26 (1) 16 0 0 3 5 0 1 6.63

13 Lundin, PÃ¥l 6 (1) 0 7 0 0 0 0 1 7.00

20 McGowan, Neil 3 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 7.00

24 Muntasser, Jehad - - - - - - - - ----

7 Murphy, Matt 27 1 0 0 2 1 0 0 6.63

23 Piola, Alfonso 0 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

3 Powell, Paul 43 2 0 0 3 4 0 3 6.98

27 Ritchie, Andy 0 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

2 Robinson, Les 37 2 0 0 2 4 1 2 7.05

8 Tait, Paul 33 5 0 0 2 4 1 1 6.70

5 Watson, Mark 32 (2) 0 0 0 2 3 0 1 6.85

15 Weatherstone, Simon - - - - - - - - ----

19 Whelan, Phil 45 1 0 0 0 3 0 1 7.09

21 Wright, Johnny 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.80

25 Wright, Nick 8 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 7.13</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Shock Announcement

Tuesday 30th May 2000

Jamie Waggett has resigned as manager of Oxford United despite having lead the club to nine wins and a draw in just ten games since he took over following the clubs poor start to the season.

Waggett was expected to continue on his rolling contract but having lead United to seventh place in Division Two has know decided it is time to cut short his tenure in charge of the club.

"I have enjoyed working with the players, who have given me 100%, and I would like to pay tribute to the club's supporters. I talked to the board after our last game of the season and although they were dead against my decision eventually regretfully accepted my resignation" said Waggett.

"This is a great football club with great facilities and fantastic support, but it's just not the right time for me to be in charge at the moment. I am certain the players here are good enough and they are capable of not only keeping the club in this division but of achieving a much higher position."

Waggett, who only replaced Micky Lewis in March 2000, has found financial constraints a problem virtually since he joined the club and is now expected to take a break from the game or return to coaching.

Oxford chairman Firoz Kassam said he was saddened by Waggett's decision to quit the club.

"I am sad to see Jamie leave, but I fully understand his position, it's just a pity he didn't think he could work under the constraints. Our results have been extremely impressive under him and the board are extremely grateful for his tireless efforts on behalf of Oxford United and are condifent of building on the strong foundations he has built this season."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...the end...

Archived