Importance of B/reserve teams for youth development

Hello everyone,

I would like to start a discussion about the importance of B/reserve teams for youth development and mainly find a clear answer on my question - Is there any real difference between having reserve/B team in standart league structure (such as in Holland (partly), Portugal, Germany, France, Spain), where these teams play in lower leagues and can be promoted to higher levels (up to 2nd league in Holland, Portugal, 3rd in Germany, Spain etc.) and having reserve teams in reserve leagues such as in England, Belgium. In my eyes it is much better if you have B team in a standart league structure but is there any real difference? One way better than the other? And mainly what impact does it have on youth development? Do players develop better when they play 2nd/3rd league or reserve league?

I really would like to find answer and would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

I find that when I have an absolutely blossoming gem, it is better for them to be playing first team football elsewhere down a league or on the rare occasion the same league for a relegation battler. 

The slow growers i tend to just let them take their time in the reserve team until they are ready to take a leap which I give second half of the season on loan for first team action, then evaluate if they are worth to keep or let go. I like the fact that the B teams have the opportunity to play in the pyramid as I find the reserve leagues in England to be quite a mickey mouse trophy collection... 

Yes, the competitive leagues will do more for development than the youth leagues - even though there are 'competitive' competitions for u23s and below, they are better served playing in L1 or L2 first teams.

The B-Team structures in some countries do a similar job, but I don't have much experience of playing those leagues to make informed comment.

For players under 18 yrs old, keep them at the club as the training is more important and you can develop them as you see fit.

Once they are 19, then a couple of years at a suitable level (your coach will advise through the Coach Report)  will speed up development as long as they are playing regularly.

In terms of defectiveness, staying at the club and playing Reserve or U23 fixtures would be lowest, B-Team league structure a bit better, full loan at another club playing first team football the most effective.

Thanks for your feedback, pals.

But I just need to know what is the difference between reserve team structure and B team playing in standart league structure compiting with other teams. To demonstate in on an example - let´s take similar teams in similar leagues - AZ in Holland and Genk in Belgium. Genk has its reserve team in reserve league competition (the highest reserve league), meanwhile AZ has its B team in 2nd Dutch division. Is there any real difference? Mainly if we talk about youth development of players playing in these teams.

I would think that the Dutch Div 2 would be more beneficial when it comes to player development - but I may be wrong.

I think because the competition ranking would be higher, therefore the players are playing under more pressure etc etc.

16 minutes ago, Snorks said:

I would think that the Dutch Div 2 would be more beneficial when it comes to player development - but I may be wrong.

I think because the competition ranking would be higher, therefore the players are playing under more pressure etc etc.

I am of the exact same opinion and for this reason choose leagues and clubs with B teams in standart league structure. But it would be great if someone from SI could confirm it.

I find when players are part of the pyramid and not playing reserves, their reputation and value boosts significantly.

So if you are looking to make a profit, it is better to do so but if you are trying to develop from within, watch out for crazy contract demands next agent deal.