How to keep a lead when you've taken it..

..I need help. On a few occasions this season I've taken the lead, gone a couple of goals up but the opposition has managed to come back into the game quickly.

Against Zenit I was 0-2 up, they went 3-2 up...I equalized in injury-time only for them to score straight from the KO.

Against Everton, 1-3 up at half time..they score 2 goals within 6 minutes after the break and the final score ends up as 4-4. It makes me absolutely furious.

I usually play a direct form of passing with quick tempo, should I alter this if I take the lead?

I also usually play a 4-4-2.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, both from myself and my players :D

Take a look at wwfan's Tactical Theories & Frameworks thread. Your opposition is probably adjusting their tactics to try to get back into the game. It is unusual for any team IRL to play the same tactic for 90 minutes as they want to score and try to find a way.

..I need help. On a few occasions this season I've taken the lead, gone a couple of goals up but the opposition has managed to come back into the game quickly.

Against Zenit I was 0-2 up, they went 3-2 up...I equalized in injury-time only for them to score straight from the KO.

Against Everton, 1-3 up at half time..they score 2 goals within 6 minutes after the break and the final score ends up as 4-4. It makes me absolutely furious.

I usually play a direct form of passing with quick tempo, should I alter this if I take the lead?

I also usually play a 4-4-2.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, both from myself and my players :D

If you take the lead you have to switch and play a less risky, more balanced tactic. If you're up by 2 goals there's no sense playing attacking direct football and risk a swift counter attack. What you want to do when you're up a goal or two is to slow the tempo down, waste time a little bit, play keep ball and make the opposition work for their possession. Make them chase you around and got tired while your players hang on to the ball and look for an opening in their defense.

Try to lower the tempo, go to a short passing (maybe mix passing for your creative midfielder), remove forward runs except for your wingers and a pacey striker and lower your closing down. Lower your mentality too. You should see your players passing the ball around while your opponent will be running around like headless chicken.

Archived