What's your FM habit?

Just wondering how people play the game and what habits they have when playing.

Mine is giving the number 18 to the player who's got the best chance of scoring a header from a set piece (Usually a defender).

This habit came from the 2d match engine in the FM Live days where my best player was a huge Brazilian defender who scored header from set pieces like no tomorrow. He almost outscored my top striker! I don't exactly remember his name (Luis something...), but he had number 18. It was always a joy seeing the set piece going towards number 18 to the point I already started cheering before the goal was even scored.

Anyone else got a habit you want to share?

My habit is also related to numbers. For example, if I buy some young Italian defender, I give him number 13, so he is a new Nesta.

If I buy French striker for example I give him number 14, he is my Henry. If I buy some player that happens to be completely useless, I give him number 7. He is my Sterling.

I also have a squad number related one. I base a lot of my number selection (outside of 1-11) on memories of former players eg...

• 16 should be a CDM - Roy Keane
  • 18 should be a playmaker - Paul Scholes
  • 14 and 32 should be strikers - Thierry Henry and Carlos Tevez.
  • 19 should be a young talent breaking into the team - Leo Messi when he first started  playing for Barca.
  • 15 and 26 should be CBs - Nemanja Vidic and John Terry.

And so on...

The best centre back always gets 

7 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

For example, if I buy some young Italian defender, I give him number 13, so he is a new Nesta.

Ha! My favourite CB always wears the 13 because Nesta is my favourite player of all time.

I always tend to give every player in my entire squad (incl U23 and U18) a number and have a system for the whole thing. I also don't like to take a squad number from a first team player unless he is leaving the club although don't follow this role on my arrival at a new team. Any U23 or U18 players are assigned numbers over 30 and potentially get a new one each year if their rank in the squad has changed but once they drop below 30 (meaning they've made it) I'll only normally change their number if either their favoured number or one of the first 11 that suits their role becomes available.

2 hours ago, Chris11Rhodes said:

I also have a squad number related one. I base a lot of my number selection (outside of 1-11) on memories of former players eg...

• 16 should be a CDM - Roy Keane
  • 18 should be a playmaker - Paul Scholes
  • 14 and 32 should be strikers - Thierry Henry and Carlos Tevez.
  • 19 should be a young talent breaking into the team - Leo Messi when he first started  playing for Barca.
  • 15 and 26 should be CBs - Nemanja Vidic and John Terry.

And so on...

I do the 19 thing too, but start with 30..just like Messi did :P

My main one relates to numbers. 

Star players always get their 'preferred' squad numbers. If there are two players who want the same number, then whoever has been at the club longest get's their preferred number and the other one gets something inline with the below.

Striker numbers always end in 9. Main play maker gets either 8 or 10 depending on the above and what I think will suit them better. Second play maker gets the other one.

4, 5 & 6 go to my first choice CBs and holding midfielder, the above depends on which gets which. If my CB is my captain he will get 5, don't know why, just always done it that way.

Goalkeepers get 1, 13 and 25, 1 for most senior and 25 for cup keeper. 

My main left winger gets 11, right gets 7 (think Giggs & CR7). Numbers 17 and 22 go to my second choice left and right wingers, doesn't matter which gets which.

3 for LB. 2 for RB (think Evra and G Nev). 

Youth players get numbers from 35 and up. Once a player becomes a first team regular, a more appropriate number will be assigned (if available). 

Players don't lose their numbers unless they leave the club permanently, they may lose them during a loan move if I'm looking to move the player on. When I join a new club, numbers are a free for all.

My non number thing is constantly searching for the best youth players in the game. Every time I start a new save, I keep telling myself that I won't do it but I just can't stop myself. 

1 hour ago, anagain said:

My biggest habit is that I always have google maps open on my other screen. I open it to the stadium that I am currently playing a match in when my FM matches take place.

It's a nice way to see the world and/or learn your geography.

If I don't have the stadium birds eye view open then I know bad things are going to happen in game...

...well, no, they don't really, but it's a little trend I've acquired.

This is actually rather a cool sounding thing to do. If I had dual screens, then I certainly would do it too

4 hours ago, anagain said:

My biggest habit is that I always have google maps open on my other screen. I open it to the stadium that I am currently playing a match in when my FM matches take place.

If I don't have the stadium birds eye view open then I know bad things are going to happen in game...

Interesting...

I only check the stadium once I move to a new club, just to see where we play and train. It gets a bit tricky when a new stadium has been built.

What I have done once or twice before as well is going through a real estate website and search for a property on sale in the area. Based on the wage I am earning at the club, I assess what I can afford and pretend to buy the property.

I see a lot of number related habits and I think a lot of people will do the same.
For numbers, it'more of a logical thing with me.

1=GK, 2=RB, 3=LB, 4=DM, 5=CB, 6=CB, 7=RW, 8=CM or AM, 9=CF, 10=WS or AM, 11=LW

Of course that might change if I'm set on playing a different formation for that season but I have OCD especially with numbers so these things are important to me.

It doesn't stop with the starting XI but it's not quite so strict.
I tend to go with these for my squad/backup players: 12=CB, 13=GK, 14=DM, 15=CM, 16=CM or AM, 17=winger, 18=striker.

If my youthies get numbers, and generally they do, they start with 31 for GK and follow in sequence like my 1st team does.

Number 24 is given to my favourite player, usually a wonderkid, as 24 is my birthday.
-----

Apart from numbers, I do have plenty of other habits too but the numbers are the main thing really.

Intending to play a journeyman game then bring unable to leave a club ive gotten attached too.

Started my game at Lokomotiv Gomel in Belarusian 1st League, after 4 years moved over the road to FC Gomel in the highest League and stayed for 9 years so far with no intention of leaving.

I get immersed once did get attached to a club and look into the club, the city and area as much as I can.

Unfortunately google street view has not driven around Belarus so it's hard to get a real feel for the city.

Ive even been learning Russian in my downtime in work, easy langauge to learn words and phrases for, if you ignore grammar.

Ignoring grammar Russians still understand you but you sound a little strange, so I was told anyway when ai was spesking to Russian tourists in Krakov

On 03/02/2020 at 17:37, anagain said:

i really like this i am going to start doing it myself, ive always thought Fm should implement something like this to immerse us even more into the game 

3 minutes ago, latrell said:

i really like this i am going to start doing it myself, ive always thought Fm should implement something like this to immerse us even more into the game 

There used to be an add-on graphics pack from a fan that gave you stadium images on the club screen.

19 minutes ago, Snorks said:

There used to be an add-on graphics pack from a fan that gave you stadium images on the club screen.

i know the pack but that stays on all the time and i struggle to see anything else on the club screen with that on unfortunately,

When I'm playing an FM match, i always have my mobile phone next to me and, in it, I'm watching a video from YouTube, DAZN, whatever platform where i can see a full match or at least highlights from the stadium i am currently playing in that FM match. 

17 hours ago, latrell said:

It'd be fun if the pre-match windows included something like a coach and/or a map of the journey. I don't feel like there's ever really enough emphasis on the journey part of the game. For example, how easy is it to select a friendly and, whoever you are, select almost any club in the world with no regard for travel costs.

I was a kid that read atlases for fun though. :eek:

Edited by anagain

1 hour ago, anagain said:

It'd be fun if the pre-match windows included something like a coach and/or a map of the journey. I don't feel like there's ever really enough emphasis on the journey part of the game. For example, how easy is it to select a friendly and, whoever you are, select almost any club in the world with no regard for travel costs.

I was a kid that read atlases for fun though. :eek:

exactly what i think i do love geography and that would be a great place to put in in the pre match window screen, i did suggest this in the new feature ideas section a few days ago.

As others mentioned, I also have an habit with numbers. Very traditional in that sense, #1 for GK, #2 to #4 Central Defenders, #6 the Defensive Mid, #8 the Central Mid, #9 a Striker, #10 a creative playmaker (could be midfielder or forward) and #11 the most vertical winger. The logic follows as possible for other players, like a DM being a #16 and a striker a #19, etc. Interestingly, I don't like to give the #12 to anyone.

Besides this, when I find a regen player (or even staff) that I want to have but whose name I don't like, I change it either to a nickname or a shorter version of his name, more appealing to me. Don't ask me why, I myself find it weird but it is what it is.

Edited by 99

On 03/02/2020 at 17:37, anagain said:

Good one this. I always like to imagine the stadium and surrounding roads and fans, its what makes the atmosphere. Been to around 65 English grounds in real life but struggle any further a field so Google maps in game is a great idea !!

Depending on availability, my number rules are:

- #7 goes to a star player, be it a forward, winger or midfielder. Don't need to explain why this is important to United fans.

- #18 (Scholes) and #16 (Keane, Carrick) are to be worn by great central or defensive midfielders. 

- My most hardworking player gets #13 because Ji Sung Park >>> Second choice goalkeeper.

- Best Regista/DLP gets #21 in honour of Pirlo.

- #15 (Vidic) is for my toughest CB.

- Best youth winger gets #44 (Januzaj), best youth CM gets #42 (Pogba). 

- I've got quite a few numbers to pick from for strikers. Young strikers breaking into the first team squad might get #14 (Chicharito), #19 (Yorke) or #20 (Ole, RVP). There's the more generic #45, #49 and #54 that I use for other young forwards; but my best striker in the U18s gets #47 (because of Agent 47 from the Hitman series). 

I always manage Íþróttabandalag Akraness (IA) in Iceland. The challenge being - a country I know nothing about, a team I'd never heard of, with players I don't know from Adam and a language I can't fathom. And I'm now at the point that I've done the whole Google street view of the town, know the club / players inside out, converse with the club / players / fans (a few anyway) on Twitter and watch the live recordings of their games whenever possible on IATV.

I always manage Barca since that's my favourite team. My second team is GAIS in the Swedish second division.

Twice every year (once wvery transfer window), I buy the worst player from GAIS for around 1,5-3 million pounds, to help them gain promotion and become dominant in Sweden. 

Just like in real life , they never succeed no matter how much help they get.

FM on one screen with this forum in the background for some reading, while having Youtube, series/movie and some reading on different tabs on the other screen.
That is my usual FM habit. On very rare occassions i might do FM on one screen and another game on the other screen, which would have to be a game i can leave running without any implications on the game.
I get restless if i don't multitask.

2 hours ago, roykela said:

FM on one screen with this forum in the background for some reading, while having Youtube, series/movie and some reading on different tabs on the other screen.
That is my usual FM habit. On very rare occassions i might do FM on one screen and another game on the other screen, which would have to be a game i can leave running without any implications on the game.
I get restless if i don't multitask.

Turn based games are the best to play when you play FM on the other screen. I tend to play Xcom2 or Slay the spire while FM is running. I sometimes even do work!

11 hours ago, fmonit said:

Turn based games are the best to play when you play FM on the other screen. I tend to play Xcom2 or Slay the spire while FM is running. I sometimes even do work!

Actually had Slay the Spire in mind when i wrote it. Turn based is gold while playing FM.

Plenty of number habits like other people. The main one for me is I won't use 13 or any multiple of it or 31. 

I always select my bench in position order so defenders at the top with any strikers down at the bottom. I find this a big help if I'm at a new club and don't know the players. I rarely have a sub keeper apart from in pre season. 

I refuse to sell players to Man United unless I'm confident doing it will screw them over. I've had so many saves where I've built a team up. Man United would then decide to unsettle and buy one of my key players. Once signed, they never pick him and leave him to rot. From where I'm sat, they did it just to f**k me over so they are now blacklisted. I will even accept lower offers from other clubs and reject United. 

1 hour ago, SuperLeeds said:

Something I've always done, for no real reason, is position the cursor towards the end that my team is shooting towards. No idea when it started, or why but very much a habit now!

I do a similar thing with penalties, leave the cursor over where I want my players to shoot. 

The ball seems to go there a surprisingly high amount.

On 09/02/2020 at 03:14, Things Could Get Messi said:

I refuse to sell players to Man United unless I'm confident doing it will screw them over. I've had so many saves where I've built a team up. Man United would then decide to unsettle and buy one of my key players. Once signed, they never pick him and leave him to rot. From where I'm sat, they did it just to f**k me over so they are now blacklisted. I will even accept lower offers from other clubs and reject United. 

Shows how accurate FM is! Remember Alexis Sanchez?