Revenge in Nottingham

irishregan

Thanks Sherm, I did wonder if the long layoff would affect reader's interest. I will update as much as possible. Still enjoying your Newcastle one too, keep that going.

By the way, in the 5th April game it says "Port Vale started with a lot of sp**k. I didn't realise that was in the bad words list. Just thought I'd clear that up in case people didn't know what I had typed there originally.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13th April Although I hate being praised in public, because it's a wee bit embarassing, I have no such qualms about reading compliments in the newspapers. This takes up much of my Sunday, which starts hungover and ends up boozy.

The chairman of the supporters club was quoted as saying I "had done wonders with the club." That meant a lot to me because in the nearly 3 years I've been here, I have had nothing but positive interaction with the supporters. My Forest roots are now a distant memory, and in some ways, even I've forgotten about them.

His only concern was that there was no question the big clubs would be taking notice now. My position is the same as before. We're on a roll at this club, with remarkable foundations, and only if the likes of Chelsea or Real Madrid came calling would I be out the door. The jobs you don't refuse in other words.

The board were full of praise, and I genuinely appreciate it. I have a terrific relationship with Steve Thompson too, although the board are somewhat cautious with money, if that's the right word. They release a statement describing promotion as "a quite remarkable achievement." It is, though all I did was sign the players that did it.

Neil Warnock, always good for a quote, weighs in on the developments at his old stomping ground. He says he's "over the moon" with the "remarkable job" I'd done, and that I'd be "one of the all-time greats". Steady on Neil.

Jan Rezek said "praise should go to him" which of all the comments means the most of all. I have enormous respect and admiration for the players, not only because they're so good, but because they're not moaners. They would run through a brick wall for me, and that's a pretty big compliment.

14th April I arrive at Meadow Lane to a much larger press gathering than the last time we got promotion. Some of the regional guys from the national heavyweights are there. I have been gaining a reputation as being very quotable, and that attracts journalists like flies round sh**e.

There are a few jokey remarks about me still looking hungover, I reply that that's the way I look on Monday mornings even if I haven't been drinking. That gets a good laugh.

I should have known the big boys would start with a negative question. Some oily from "The Sun" suggests these players won't be able to hack it in the Championship. I say they are "fantastic" and I "firmly believe in them". Perhaps my scowl, or the sincerity with which I gave the answer, improves the tone of the press conference from thereon in.

On how it feels to get promotion

"I'm actually relieved. Secretly, I knew we were really good, and expected us to be serious contenders for promotion. But I couldn't blab to the media or the lads, otherwise we could have put pressure on ourselves and ended up a with a lot of egg on our faces. So I put a lot of pressure on myself to get us promoted, and it worked out. Riggy and the rest of the staff shared that with me, and I just can't say how fantastic they were right from the start of the season."

Where now?

"I've said before, we have Premiership calibre players here, they're just a year or so away from developing to that level. I've no fear when I go out there, and neither do they, that's why it works. So I've no fear that we'll be relegated. We have plenty of cash, and a supportive board behind us, who have backed me to the hilt.

Will you and those players be here though?

Well the players will, because we don't have to sell, and we can fulfill their ambitions right here. As for me, I want to go to the top. I think it can be here, because we're in one of the biggest cities in England. It just needs time to develop. Look what we've done in 3 years. That's my answer, it's the best one I can give, and the only one you're getting."

It was all very lively, combative in a humourous way, and everybody enjoyed it. A bloke from "The Daily Telegraph" came up afterwards and said this was the first time he'd done a press conference with me, and it was like a breath of fresh air. He also said something cryptic. "There's a lot of interest in you, you'll be hearing about that soon." He didn't elaborate with anything more than a raised eyebrow.

16th April Richard Jones returns from his lengthy injury lay-off, and in the words of the old cliche, it's like a new signing. He comes straight back in to MC for the next game.

19th April Bristol Rovers vs Notts County

Nisja also comes back in at AMR for this one. The Pirates are all over us to start with, then Calliste scores a total fluke, when an aimless cross into the box is allowed to float, and goes in off the far post (10). I am low-key at half-time, and things drift until they score in the 71st minute. That's how it ends, and I am finding myself struggling for motivation a little right now. So maybe are the lads. We would have annihilated them earlier in the season.

Bristol Rovers 1-1 Notts County ATT: 7865

Port Vale and Scunthorpe are relegated. Not too bothered about the latter, since Brian Laws has always had far too much to say for himself.

Tandy finally returns to training, after his 2 months out with shoulder trouble.

26th April Notts County vs QPR

Nisja slams in a great 20 yard free kick, which is something of a speciality with him, to give us a 2nd minute lead. Straight away, Calliste plays in The Big E for a simple goal to give us a cushion of 2 after only 4 minutes. The Rs fire back just before the half hour, but their route back into the game is damaged 30 minutes later when they have a player sent off. We sit back on our lead, then Calliste catches them out playing a high line, sprinting through to score a clinical 3rd for us. A nice performance, we enjoyed that one.

Notts County 3-1 QPR ATT: 10722

Reading secure the title, but so do our Under-18s in their respective title. Sadly, few of them look like being offered professional terms, if any. With our rubbish facilities, we're never going to produce a Michael Owen.

The club turns its usual profit of 131K.

3rd May Grimsby vs Notts County

I feel like I'm sleepwalking through this utterly unimportant game (for both teams). Pires plays MR out of sentiment. We put them under heavy presure, uncharacteristically missing a tonne of chances, until Hjalmar finally cashes one in after 47 minutes. He's not finished. Almost from the kick-off, he spins and finishes tremendously for 2-0. The home side respond with practically their first kick (50), and come much more into the game, creating some decent chances.

We hold out, then in the 88th minute, Rezek heads for the showers after his 2nd yellow, and Grimsby are unlucky not to get a point as they push forward. I shake Russell Slade's hand at the end and tell him that. Later on, him and me have a beer in his office, both relieved that the season is finally over.

Grimsby 1-2 Notts County ATT: 4377

5th May Jonathon D'Laryea complains about being in the reserves and not in the team. I tell him he's a back-up and will have to be patient, while secretly shopping him around. There are no takers, and the issue is unresolved as the players take off for the Summer. Though I am not jetting off on holiday yet myself, I leave everything in Riggy's

capable and workaholic hands, spending most of my time kicking around the house with my wife and kids, or sitting in the pub having a good drink. He doesn't mind, and it's all part of his managerial apprenticeship. Anyway, on the occasions I'm at the pub, he's always there with me.

16th May I haven't been totally lazy since the end of the season. Very occasionally, I drop into the office to look at scouting reports, and talk strategy with my assistant and the coaching staff. The result is our first major signing.

Norwich's England Under-21 goalie Joe Lewis will be joining us next year for 600K compensation (we got him on freedom of contract). Rumours are flying around that Martin Fulop wants to stay at the club, but I reckon we shouldn't be worrying about him anymore. He's already said he wants to leave the club, what's to stop him doing it in the future? The staff are in full agreement, though if they weren't I'd just go ahead and do it anyway. This young keeper was too good to pass up, even if we decided to keep our Hungarian international. For now though, the big goalie can't leave. Due to a quirk in Lewis' contract, he doesn't join us till early October.

25th May Nothing much happens for the next week or so, then Riggy calls with some news on a player we're interested in. The agent for Mathieu Flamini, currently out of contract with Arsenal says the boy is pi**ed off and ready to join us for 4K a week and a biggish signing on fee. A few phone calls later, and this exciting youngster is our player...or will be on the 1st of July anyway. We are delighted with this one.

26th May A bombshell! Steve Thompson calls me and says that after a conversation with Sheffield United chairman Derek Dooley, he has given them permission to speak to me about becoming their new manager. In line with my policy of talking to any serious interested party, I discreetly travel to Sheffield that evening.

By the time I arrive, some prelimenary haggling has already been done. They offered me 2.5K over 3 years. I said double it, and I'll be interested. Dooley said he'd speak to ownership and get back to me.

We get down to business, and the first thing Dooley says is that the contract offer is final, which I am not pleased about. Then I start to go through the books, and despite the fact that this is a very big club, with great facilities, they're in financial trouble with a high wage bill, and leading players who all want to leave. I tell them that unless they make it worth my while, I'm not coming. Dooley looks uncomfortable, and I tell them we'll stop messing around. I'm not taking the job.

Riggy is on the phone like a shot when I get home, so too Steve Thompson. Neither wanted me to leave, although Steve and I have a gentleman's agreement about other jobs. I tell them both to forget about it. I'm staying for another season at least, and let's get down to plotting another successful campaign.

28th May I reject a laughable bid from Stoke for Hjalmar and the month closes with a loss of 178K.

4th June I'm all set to go on holiday in a few days, when another bomb drops. Somebody calls the house claiming to Mohammed Al Fayed, offering me the vacant Fulham job. Since my chairman hasn't called me first, I assume it's a wind up, possibly from one of those very tired "practical joke" DJs.

"Don't be so f**king stupid!" I snarl, and put the phone down. Next thing Steve Thompson is on the phone, saying that he'd given permission for them to speak to me and that Al Fayed would be on the phone shortly.

"He's already called," I say sheepishly. "I thought it was a wind-up and I told him to f**k off."

Apparently Al Fayed had jumped the gun. Steve goes back and smoothes over the misunderstanding and the Egyptian calls me again to make his pitch. He's offering a 6.75K/week rolling contract. I like the 6.75K part, but not the rolling part.

The club is in a terrible state. Just relegated from the Premiership, haemorraging cash and close to bankruptcy, with a 400K A WEEK WAGE BILL!! I tell Al Fayed to give me a 3 year deal at the 6.5K per week, and I'll think about it. He refuses, and negotiations end there. I'm not bothered at all. Would you really want to work for Mohammed Al Fayed? No, I thought not.

9th June Ramon Calliste has been moaning about his contract. I had originally told him to wait, but faced with the prospect that this palaver could interrupt my family holiday, I sanction a 3K per week extension till 2013. Everybody's delighted, especially me as I head for the airport.

19th June I'm confident enough to be on holiday this year when the budgets are negotiated. Over the phone, I arrange a 1.2M transfer fund, and a 55K/week wage structure, which I think should be sufficient. We're only projected at 35K/week at the minute. The directors expect us to battle bravely against relegation.

"F**k that!" I shout down the phone. "I'm aiming for top half at least lads." Potentially a hostage to fortune saying that to the board of directors, but I reckon I've got them well under the thumb.

29th June Wales lose in the Euro final to Germany. Maybe I should have taken that job after all!

Sven Goran Erickson is kicked out after England's poor showing in the tournament, and I immediately apply for the position.

The club turns a very handy profit for the month of 431K.

1st July Flamini completes his move from The Gunners, and Biruk heads to Bolton for 1.2M plus 20% sell-on clause, good business for a player that cost us nothing, and who ironically we beat out Bolton to sign in the first place.

2nd July Nathan D'Laryea, our very game utility defender heads off to Rochdale for 100K. He served us very well, but was irritated about first team opportunities. He's a nice lad, and a good player, but he had no guarantees here.

9th July It's a busy day in the transfer market for us. Philip Briland, who despite being only 19 has played 11 times for Sweden, is on his way to us for the princely sum of 160K. We'd been tracking him for a while, and matters came to a head when we made an organisational decision to sell Fulop. Lewis looks a sure thing in goal, but the young Swede will be a sensational back-up, and could easily be Number 1. We look immensely strong in the goalkeeping department right now.

Next up is DLC Goncalo Brandao a Portugese defender on a free transfer from Maritimo. He's kicked around the Portugese leagues for a few years, and has been denied real opportunities. We reckon he's a top-line prospect, and will be a serious threat to his countryman Nuno Morais' position in the team. Me and Riggy are quietly excited about this guy.

14th July Another ruthless decision which has to be made reminds me of why it's tough to be the boss sometimes. I have to say that since the middle of last season I had been trying to sell Andreas Johansson, which looks a strange decision considering the season he had. However, he has just turned 30, he's out of contract next Summer, and I managed to persuade QPR to pay 600K for him. We're spoilt for choice in midfield, with younger, cheaper alternatives champing at the bit. It sounds horrible, but he's served his purpose and it's time to move on.

The guy himself is livid, and I don't blame him. I call him personally but he doesn't want to talk about it, which makes me feel worse. The decision goes down like a lead balloon at the club as well. Still, I feel it's the right decision for the organisation, and that's the bottom line. You can't be successful unless you know when it's time to move on.

15th July England appoint Alan Pardew as manager. No real comment on that, apart fromt he fact that I wanted it and I didn't get it. It doesn't keep me awake at night though.

16th July The board agree to upgrade our facilities to the maximum level. I had been a bit ****ed off at the calibre of players we could attract, and asked them to do the needful. I guess my stock is high enough (and so are the finances) that I can get my way on most things now.

I sell Jon D'Laryea to Rochdale for 40K, where he joins his brother. I forgot to mention that these two are actually twins! As a Father of twins myself (in real life) I am only too happy to accomodate the request, and not be a sh**e about it.

Meantime, our first friendly of the season has come around, a glamour match-up at home to Bayern Munich. Here's my re-vamped line-up.

Briland, Pipe, Lloyd, Brandao, Morais, Flamini, Nisja, Jones, Ebanks, Calliste, Rezek.

They are all over us to start with, and take the lead (7). We improve a bit, but still look worlds apart, and they add to their lead on 33. I encourage the lads at the half, and make 9 substitutions, also pushing Rezek up front. Dividends are paid when Calliste finishes a move worthy of our illustrious opponents with a powerful header (67). Calliste surprised me with that one, then shocks me with an equaliser 7 minutes from time, a deflected shot that leaves the German goalie stranded. Sensational stuff from the lads, and though we were outshot 18-9, the second half belonged to us. Fulop, O'Hara, Sparv and Morais were all outstanding.

Notts County 2-2 Bayern Munich ATT: 11414

More transfer stuff happens after the game. We've been tracking former Italy U-21 DC Luca Vitale, formerly with Inter, now without a club. I'm signing this guy on pedigree, which is what I've done right from the start of my career here. Some might say we have enough centre backs, but I am loading up for the start of this campaign, then I'll separate the wheat from the chaff come January.

Middlesbrough bid 150K for the transfer-listed Fulop, but I'm not having that. The asking price is 2.5 million.

21st July Notts County vs Werder Bremen

The second half of a German double header. Fulop, Vitale, Sparv, and O'Hara come in, with Rezek moving up front. Filipe Morais also starts on the right of midfield. A surprisingly even-ish start, then Sparv and Morais set up Calliste for a tidy finish (29). The visitors respond 4 minutes later, and it's a even tussle from thereon in. On 79 minutes, Nisja crosses for sub Ebanks to head in, then as they push forward, Saritama finishes a counter attack with a low shot into the bottom corner. Sensational stuff from the lads. I tell them they were just fantastic.

Notts County 3-1 Werder Bremen ATT: 9554

22nd July The high gets higher next day when news comes through that we have signed a phenomenal prospect. 19 year-old Diego Ochoa DC of Velez is one of the stars of the Argies' U-21 set-up, and arrives for compensation of 300K. The Home Office turned him down for a work permit originally, and I was so furious I called in our local MP. Once the bureaucrats looked sensibly at it, the deal was done. Yet another centre back, but this guy has class written all over him. A real coup for the club.

In other developments, Frazer Richardson signs a contract extension till 2013 at 2K per week, 300 a week lower than his current contract. That's all I was prepared to offer, and I think he knew he might be sold if he didn't take it.

26th Wrexham vs Notts County

I arranged this one as a tune-up against British opposition before the season started. Brandao, Ochoa, and Morrison come in. After they take a shock 27 minute lead, I bollock the lads and they respond with a real demolition job. Ebanks scores, then Hjalmar produces a 15 minute hat-trick to completely overpower them in the 2nd half. A journalist comments afterwards that the 2nd half show was "a joy to behold".

Wrexham 1-4 Notts County ATT: 7705

28th July Guatelli and Lloyd sign new deals for the same money. A bit disingenuous of me to re-up with our Italian goalie though. I am only doing it so I can sell him later without him leaving on a Bosman.

Crewe enquire about man of the moment Hjalmar and I say 2.5 million, convinced this will scare them off. I am taken aback when they say yes, and tell them he's not for sale.

29th July The bookies rate us a 40-1 shot for promotion (generous odds as usual). A journalist from one of the nationals asks me about the pundits saying we are relegation certainties. I laugh it off. "Ok, I'm not expecting miracles," I reply, "but we 'aint getting relegated with the players we've got."

The club posts a 540K profit for the month.

thanks so much rednwhites, I am hoping to update some more today, as I have played on a lot further.

The old story was called "Forest of Mediocrity" I'm sure if you type it into search it is still knocking around somewhere.

Sadly, in real life, our beloved Forest are still in a mess, still the biggest club outside the top two divisions. If only I could win the lottery and take over, I couldn't do any worse!

2nd August Notts County vs Crewe

Oh the irony, as we face off against the team we have just had a transfer stand-off with. Here's my first team: Fulop, Richardson, Morrison, Ochoa, Nuno Morais, Flamini, Nisja, O'Hara, Hjalmar, Ebanks, Sparv.

We start very lively, looking to attack at every opportunity. 5 minutes before the break, Nisja heads down for Hjalmar to drive in. Oh the irony! We continue to create bags of chances without killing them off, but my concern is misplaced, as they offer very little in return. We outshot them 15-7 in a fully deserved win. A great start for us, and I'm relieved, since we're notoriously slow starters.

Notts County 1-0 Crewe ATT: 6044

Totally rubbish attendance though!

5th August Plymouth vs Notts County

A lively start for us again, but we fail to take advantage and honours are even at the half. Replacing my tiring front two with the returning Calliste and Rezek does the trick, as the Czech bursts through. His shot his saved but the rebound cannons off a defender and in (52). I go defensive on 65 minutes but they score on 72, which rather ruins things. Then they over commit, Rezek picks it up in the left-back position, and charges the length of the field, ramming it home for what the commentary team describe as "a magical goal". Confidence flows, and we play keep ball. After a long sequence of passes, Saritama produces a remarkable bending shot from 20 yards to complete a very impressive win. We've shown we can perform away from home against a good side. My confidence that we will easily stay up is not at all misplaced.

Plymouth 1-3 Notts County ATT: 17680

9th Notts County vs West Brom

The games come thick and fast. Rezek starts up front. This is a different kettle of fish. They maul us from the start, outshooting us 11-1 in a first half which climaxes with their opening goal. I go ballistic at half time, thinking the lads have relaxed and believed their own publicity, and bring Calliste on for Hjalmar. Better to be lucky than good they say, and my sub breaks through to score a nice finish (67) in an even second half, 4 shots each. I'm happy to get away with a point, which wasn't deserved on our 1st half display, but the 2nd was more encouraging. Fulop saved us in this one.

Notts County 1-1 West Brom ATT: 13533

That attendance is more like it. The gate receipts of 250K are a club record. Unfortunately Morrison is out 2-4 weeks.

12th Norwich vs Notts County

Calliste comes in for the Icelander, and Pipe for an exhausted Nisja. Lloyd replaces Morrison, with Saritama and Jones for the likewise exhausted Flamini and Sparv. Darren Huckerby opens their account 10 minutes in, but a penalty gives us a route back into the game, converted by Ochoa on 27 minutes. Huckerby exposes us again (30). I throw another half-time tantrum, but it doesn't work this time. They score again late on to cap a very poor show from us. Two weeks in a row we have been exposed. We've done very well though to go unbeaten till now.

Norwich 3-1 Notts County ATT: 20227

Between games I sell Andrea Guatelli to Sheffield Wednesday for 150K with a sell-on of 25%. He's a good goalie, but it's a good deal and with the strength of our goalkeeping right now, he's nowhere.

16th Notts County vs Leicester

This home game is televised, and we start out to entertain. The old firm of Ebanks and Calliste are together again up front, and they are on the end of a lovely move, The Big E squaring for the Welshman to tap in (25). I am furious we concede on the stroke of half time, and start bollocking the lads in the dressing room. The second half is atrocious viewing for the TV audience, and the game peters out. Worryingly, we were outshot again.

Notts County 1-1 Leicester ATT: 16522

More record gate receipts, this time 300K. This club is printing money at the minute.

20th Notts County vs Port Vale LG CUP ROUND 1

Every reserve I can find plays this one, and one of them, Jarno Parrika scores on 51 mins. A dreadful game we almost dominate, then Vale score in the 84th minute, and eventually force a shootout. We win it thank God, but I am extremely unhappy with the performance, and warn the reserves they had better buck up their ideas.

Notts County 1-1 Port Vale (Notts C on PEN) ATT: 2124

23rd Southampton vs Notts County

The team: Fulop, Pipe, Lloyd, Ochoa, Brandao, Saritama, Nisja, O'Hara, Calliste, Hjalmar, Rezek. The side has developed a bit. I fancy Ochoa and Brandao as our long-term centre back pairing, certainly Ochoa anyway. He's already been masterful, even in defeats. Flamini has not impressed thus far. I'm not sure our style suits him. He doesn't seem comfortable attacking and tends to just sit there in midfield.

This is a defeat too, a rotten performance by us, though The Saints are not much better. They score after 19 minutes, and awful marking on 47 lets them double their tally. This is getting worrying. I can't seem to get the lads firing at the minute. I'll stick with them for now. Consistency of selection and pattern of play is what's got us here.

Southampton 2-0 Notts County ATT: 22907

Hjalmar will miss 1-2 months with a rib injury. It's ok. You want strikers? We got strikers.

25th August Fulham vs Notts County

A frantic month of games finishes in West London. Richardson and Ebanks replace Pipe and Hjalmar. Suddenly, everything clicks again. Calliste cracks in a ferocious shot after 56 minutes, following some ordinary defending. I want the points, so I go defensive, yet we keep creating. The Welsh striker has another fierce shot saved, but

O'Hara is on hand to chip in and seal the points (82). I tell the lads they were fantastic. This was particularly sweet for me. The Fulham fans gave me a very foul-mouthed reception, angered apparently by me turning them down in the Summer. I was barracked throughout the whole game, but just smiled at them when we sealed the win.

Fulham 0-2 Notts County ATT: 16980

The board were excited by the style of our win, and delighted by the fat profit of 522K for the month.

3rd September Brandao will miss 2-3 months with a hip injury, Ebanks is out a month with a bad back, and Calliste will be out 1-2 weeks, as will my Italian centre back Vitale. We do have a terrific squad, but this is getting serious.

6th September Notts County vs Brighton

I end up playing Rezek and Parrika up front. Nuno Morais and Sparv also come in. We never get going in this one. The visitors score a soft goal early on, and despite having plenty of chances, it stands up as the winner. It was a rotten performance from a severely stretched squad. We didn't deserve to lose though to the bottom club, who offered very little other than the goal that won it.

Notts County 0-1 Brighton ATT: 13113

After a run of poor results (though I don't remember them having a poor result against us), Peter Withe is sacked by Southampton. Riggy is the hot favourite, and I reckon the time has come. I'm preparing myself for the worst. Other times he was just in the running. Now he's the favourite.

Here's the league table so far:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Portsmouth | | 8 | 5 | 2 | 1 | 16 | 10 | +6 | 17 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Norwich | | 8 | 5 | 1 | 2 | 14 | 7 | +7 | 16 |

| 3rd | | Leicester | | 8 | 5 | 1 | 2 | 12 | 11 | +1 | 16 |

| 4th | | Crystal Palace | | 8 | 4 | 3 | 1 | 10 | 5 | +5 | 15 |

| 5th | | Fulham | | 8 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 17 | 7 | +10 | 14 |

| 6th | | Derby | | 8 | 3 | 4 | 1 | 14 | 9 | +5 | 13 |

| 7th | | Sheff Utd | | 8 | 4 | 1 | 3 | 12 | 14 | -2 | 13 |

| 8th | | Coventry | | 8 | 2 | 6 | 0 | 15 | 11 | +4 | 12 |

| 9th | | West Brom | | 8 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 7 | 7 | 0 | 12 |

| 10th | | Sunderland | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 11 | 9 | +2 | 11 |

| 11th | | Doncaster | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 12 | 11 | +1 | 11 |

| 12th | | Notts Co | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 9 | 9 | 0 | 11 |

| 13th | | Reading | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 8 | 8 | 0 | 11 |

| 14th | | Nottm Forest | | 8 | 2 | 4 | 2 | 12 | 9 | +3 | 10 |

| 15th | | Hull | | 7 | 3 | 1 | 3 | 6 | 8 | -2 | 10 |

| 16th | | Wolves | | 8 | 2 | 3 | 3 | 11 | 12 | -1 | 9 |

| 17th | | Stoke | | 8 | 3 | 0 | 5 | 10 | 17 | -7 | 9 |

| 18th | | Ipswich | | 8 | 1 | 5 | 2 | 10 | 11 | -1 | 8 |

| 19th | | Plymouth | | 8 | 2 | 2 | 4 | 8 | 10 | -2 | 8 |

| 20th | | Southampton | | 8 | 1 | 4 | 3 | 8 | 10 | -2 | 7 |

| 21st | | Crewe | | 7 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 10 | 14 | -4 | 7 |

| 22nd | | Brighton | | 8 | 2 | 1 | 5 | 6 | 12 | -6 | 7 |

| 23rd | | Bournemouth | | 8 | 1 | 2 | 5 | 9 | 17 | -8 | 5 |

| 24th | | Lincoln | | 8 | 1 | 2 | 5 | 9 | 18 | -9 | 5 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

It could have been better, but we'll take it for now. An upturn in form is around the corner, I'm sure of it, simply because we haven't scored much so far, and that is the strength of this team.

9th September Crystal Palace vs Notts County

We are unchanged, I have no real choice. They score on the half hour, then we miss a penalty on the stroke of half time, which sums up our luck right now. I encourage the lads and Rezek scores a great diving header (61). We look set for a deserved point, then the home side score from a seemingly innocuous attack, much to my annoyance. We are being punished, it's cost us 2 points in the last 2 games. But what can we do? The squad is struggling badly with injuries and that's just a fact of life. Nisja joins the list after the game, out 1-4 weeks with a knee problem.

Crystal Palace 2-1 Notts County ATT: 19155

13th September Sheffield United vs Notts County

Filipe Morais replaces Nisja. We are very lively in this one, creating lots of unfinished chances. Just a minute before half time, O'Hara stings the goalie's fingers, and Rezek puts in the rebound. The fact that I go defensive straight away shows you my mindset. We still create though, until Richardson is sent off for two yellows with 10 minutes left. Worse follows. Ochoa gets an injury which we later find will keep him out for 1-4 weeks, and we've used all our subs so we're down to 9 men!! We hang on for the last 5, deservedly so, since 11 vs 11 we were better than them today.

14th September Steve Thompson calls me on Sunday afternoon. It's official, Mike Rigg is the new manager of Southampton. It's bittersweet. Riggy and I get ****ed that evening, which is not emotional or any of that crap, we just have a good laugh. He jets to the South Coast tomorrow morning for a press conference, and to take up the new role.

I'm bombarded with questions from journalists, so much so that I have a mini press conference at Meadow Lane. Here's the highlights of what I said.

On Riggy leaving

Let's be honest, it's been coming. He's totally outstanding, and will make a great manager. I'm just glad we had him for as long as we did. And surprised we had him for as long as we did.

It's a huge hole to fill, and actually no-one can replace Riggy. He wasn't just the best assistant manager I could ever have, he's also a very close friend of mine. So I've lost one of my mates as well as an assistant.

We'll carry on of course, but there's a very large space to fill here. I wish him all the best, because he's a top coach, and a top man as well.

16th Everton vs Notts County LG CUP RD 2

Vitale replaces Ochoa, Calliste replaces Parrika and I'm forced to play Yeates on the right wing. Pipe replaces Richardson and Tandy plays on the left. 7 first teamers are missing. They swarm us to start with, but against the run of play, Rezek scorches through to score. I go defensive, and The Toffees make little impression. Then the Czech striker scores a near identical goal just before the break. Just before I was due to sub him, Calliste heads in (52) and our illustrious opponents are limited to a "consolation" goal 8 minutes from time. Fulop was busy, but many of their shots were airy fairy and not really troublesome, whereas our finishing was described on Five Live on the way home as "utterly ruthless".

Everton 1-3 Notts County ATT: 20132

After a half hearted search for a new assistant, I promote the ever more impressive Robert Pires to the post of assistant manager. I know he'll do well, the players are a little bit in awe of his achievements as a player, and listen to everything he says.

20th September Notts County vs Doncaster

Pipe and Vitale stay in, with Richardson moving to right midfield. Rezek scores a goal of the season candidate, a mazy run then a ferocious blast from 30 yards to get us underway. Tandy gets himself sent off at half time though, forcing us to go defensive. It doesn't stop us, Rezek capping a marvelous performance with a cross for Calliste to tap in (68). Their 90th minute strike is little more than an interruption to the flow. I'm delighted with the lads' class and fight afterwards.

Notts County 2-1 Doncaster ATT: 12607

Fulop will miss 1-2 weeks, and Tandy is suspended for a match.

23rd September Notts County vs Bournemouth

Briland and Filipe Morais replace Fulop and Pipe. The also recalled Sparv crosses for Calliste to score (14), then Filipe Morais gets a second (19). Not much happens apart from that, and we cruise to a very straightforward win. Vitale puts in a very impressive MOM performance.

Notts County 2-0 Bournemouth ATT: 12861

27th Hull vs Notts County

Rezek thunders in a "scorcher" after 50 seconds, before I'd even sat down in the dugout. They score (23) but we get a penalty on 35, which Vitale misses but then scores his own rebound. The Tigers equalise in 1st half injury time, which is always guaranteed to get me in a fury. Our deserved win is sealed though on 71 minutes, when Saritama plays in Calliste, who executes a lethal finish.

Hull 2-3 Notts County ATT: 21666

The fast developing Luca Vitale will miss 1-2 weeks with a gashed head.

29th September Big news. I receive a bid of 2.5 million for Marton Fulop from Sparta Prague. With Lewis arriving soon, and the Hungarian having previously been a malcontent, I accept. It's risky, but we have two outstanding prospects to come in. It makes sense, to me anyway. I was expecting him to leave in January, but for some reason he goes straight away.

That gives us an eye-popping 3.1M profit for the month, and a 5.5M transfer budget for me. Very pleased with September, the end of it anyway.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | Crystal Palace | | 13 | 8 | 4 | 1 | 20 | 8 | +12 | 28 |

| 2nd | | Norwich | | 13 | 8 | 2 | 3 | 22 | 12 | +10 | 26 |

| 3rd | | Fulham | | 13 | 7 | 3 | 3 | 24 | 9 | +15 | 24 |

| 4th | | West Brom | | 13 | 7 | 3 | 3 | 17 | 10 | +7 | 24 |

| 5th | | Portsmouth | | 13 | 6 | 5 | 2 | 23 | 16 | +7 | 23 |

| 6th | | Notts Co | | 13 | 7 | 2 | 4 | 18 | 15 | +3 | 23 |

| 7th | | Derby | | 13 | 5 | 7 | 1 | 18 | 11 | +7 | 22 |

| 8th | | Reading | | 13 | 6 | 4 | 3 | 17 | 12 | +5 | 22 |

| 9th | | Leicester | | 13 | 6 | 4 | 3 | 21 | 20 | +1 | 22 |

| 10th | | Stoke | | 13 | 7 | 0 | 6 | 18 | 21 | -3 | 21 |

| 11th | | Coventry | | 13 | 4 | 7 | 2 | 22 | 17 | +5 | 19 |

| 12th | | Plymouth | | 13 | 5 | 3 | 5 | 17 | 18 | -1 | 18 |

| 13th | | Sheff Utd | | 13 | 5 | 3 | 5 | 18 | 22 | -4 | 18 |

| 14th | | Sunderland | | 13 | 4 | 5 | 4 | 17 | 16 | +1 | 17 |

| 15th | | Crewe | | 13 | 5 | 2 | 6 | 17 | 22 | -5 | 17 |

| 16th | | Doncaster | | 13 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 22 | 21 | +1 | 16 |

| 17th | | Southampton | | 13 | 2 | 7 | 4 | 13 | 15 | -2 | 13 |

| 18th | | Nottm Forest | | 13 | 2 | 6 | 5 | 17 | 19 | -2 | 12 |

| 19th | | Hull | | 13 | 3 | 3 | 7 | 8 | 16 | -8 | 12 |

| 20th | | Ipswich | | 13 | 2 | 5 | 6 | 15 | 20 | -5 | 11 |

| 21st | | Wolves | | 13 | 2 | 5 | 6 | 17 | 23 | -6 | 11 |

| 22nd | | Lincoln | | 13 | 2 | 2 | 9 | 16 | 26 | -10 | 8 |

| 23rd | | Brighton | | 13 | 2 | 2 | 9 | 9 | 22 | -13 | 8 |

| 24th | | Bournemouth | | 13 | 2 | 2 | 9 | 14 | 29 | -15 | 8 |

</pre>

4th October Nisja and Ebanks are back in training, which will certainly give a boost to our injury ravaged squad.

7th October Joe Lewis arrives and goes straight into the team in goal for the next match.

8th October It's hello to an old friend in more ways than one. I'm having a conversation with Riggy on the phone about how things are going at Southampton, and he mentions that he's surprised that he can't get anyone to take Lee Barnard off his hands, despite the fact that he's only asking 90 grand. He's not the only one who's surprised. I didn't even know he was for sale, let alone at that paltry price. I delegate a lot at the club and hadn't checked the transfer list for a while. (For those that don't remember, Barnard scored 30 goals for us in my first season at the club on loan from Tottenham. I lost out on signing him permanently to The Saints, but it seems he made little impression there.)

I feel like I'm fleecing my old mate, but business is business, and I have enough respect for his opinion to reckon that he knows what he's doing.

Things move quickly, and it tunrs out that Barnard is keen as mustard to come and play for me. He will join in January for 85K on a 3.3K/week contract, and could turn out to be a hell of a signing.

11th October Notts County vs Lincoln

The 21st placed Imps should be easy meat for us in the form we're in. Ochoa returns, and squeezes Nuno Morais out, with Vitale retaining his place. Saritama is on international duty, the disappointing Flamini gets another chance.

My arrogance is misplaced as we produce a baffling 1st half display. Despite good possession, we are outshot 9-1 by a decidedly average side, and I deliver the bollocking of all time in the dressing room. We turn possession into chances in the 2nd half, but just as frustration is setting in, Jan Rezek gets on the end of a teasing 85th minute cross, and heads in a hugely relieving winner. The ground explodes in ecstasy, if that's not putting it rather dramatically. Our 5th straight win.

Notts County 1-0 Lincoln ATT: 11109

14th October Notts County vs Ipswich

Last year's sparring partners are finding the going tough up here, and are in 21st place now themselves. Calliste is played in by Rezek to score, after a period of sustained possession and pressure by us. But The Tractor Boys equalise soon after (27). I give the lads a rocket, more about the goal conceded than the actual performance. To their credit, they dominate the 2nd half. We outshoot them 16-4, but find their keeper impenetrable, and long before the end I realise that this is not going to be our night. Our win streak finally ends, but it's put us in a mighty strong position to confound the pre-season predictions.

Notts County 1-1 Ipswich ATT: 15043

O'Hara is out 1-2 weeks with a facial injury, and Ochoa will miss the same period with a thigh strain.

18th October Coventry vs Notts County

Nuno Morais replaces Ochoa, and Nisja replaces O'Hara. Rezek jinks through and finishes inside the 1st minute, then Flamini executes a perfect through ball for Calliste to shoot in hard and low (14). Rezek skins them down the left, then crosses for Calliste to finish a blitzkreig 20 minutes of quite awe-inspiring football. The home side are bound to get back into it of course, and pull one back on 32. I go defensive at half-time, and we start to look nervy. Even more so when our hesitancy allows another goal on 67, and I think we've completely blown it. However, they start to flag badly, and we come back into it more. Relief is my overbearing feeling as we hang on for a 3 points we thoroughly deserved. Maybe I was too timid, and went defensive too early, but we got the 3 points, and looked like world-beaters in the first 20.

Coventry 2-3 Notts County ATT: 30626

22nd October Plymouth vs Notts County LG CUP RD 3

Plenty of reserves in, even though this is a big game. Hjalmar produces a lovely pass to play in Saritama who drives in from the edge of the box, something he is very good at. Tandy gets in a very penetrating cross, and Ebanks heads in for a very satisfying first 9 minutes. We look very dangerous from thereon in, but I go defensive on the hour. They come back into it a bit, and score on 78. I instruct the lads to get forward again, and we dominate the last 10 minutes, holding out for a very deserved and professional win, against a pretty good side.

Plymouth 1-2 Notts County ATT: 6848

We play Swindon in the next round. Not glamourous, though on the other hand an excellent chance to progress.

25th Wolves vs Notts County

Pipe and Saritama retain their places. In a dull 1st half, they score with their first kick (35). We keep plugging away, but we're awful, and Nuno Morais getting sent off for two yellows 10 minutes from time seals our fate. We were rotten. So were Wolves actually.

Wolves 1-0 Notts County ATT: 27727

On the Sunday night, Forest fire Gary Megson and a sequence of events transpires that puts the Nottingham football scene in turmoil.

By coincidence, the day after I am attending a local sports awards ceremony for disabled kiddies. Everyone from the local scene is there, including my old sparring partner Nigel Doughty the Forest chairman.

We're on much better terms than we used to be, and chat for a while about this and that. Then he throws me an awkward question. Would I be interested in the Forest job? Without thinking, I say the same thing I always say: I'll talk to anyone that's interested in me. I guess he took this as an application, and in light of what happened over the next week or so, it was a stupid thing to have done.

All hell breaks loose in the media the next day, rumours flying around that I am going back to Forest. Steve Thompson is furious and rightly so, especially when he reminds me that this Saturday's game is at home to...Nottingham Forest!

He demands to know what the hell is going on, as does everyone else I seem to bump into. I tell the players at training that I'm not going anywhere. They've read the papers and are concerned, so I say that to concentrate minds on the game on Saturday.

Refusing to talk to the media, I lock up our training sessions, and lay low until Saturday, reaching the ground early to avoid any potential trouble with journalists or supporters. As the atmosphere builds toward the game, shivers go up and down my spine. It's a full house out there, and the crowd are seething with all the intrigue of the past week. So while speculation swirls, I give the lads a real Winston Churchill team talk, telling them to win this game for those fans, and show everyone why I would never even consider leaving the best bunch of players I have ever worked with. Everyone's effing and blinding, and the lads go out in a lather, with me reminding them not to get into trouble with the ref, but to be impassioned.

As I head to the dugout, there is a little bit of barracking, which is disappointing, but the genuine fans give me a huge ovation, and start chanting for me to stay. The atmosphere is supercharged. An old bloke behind the dugout asks me if I am staying, and I shout "you better f***ing believe I am," which gets a raucous cheer.

The game is frantic and highly charged, with very little good football. Then on the stroke of half-time, Commons gives them the lead. I give the lads another impassioned sppech in the dressing room. Straight away, Rezek crosses for Calliste to send 3 sides of the packed house into raptures. After another high-octane move, Nisja squares for Ebanks to give us a 56th minute lead, and a crowd scene even more frantic than the last. I go defensive and they pour forward, but Russell Hoult makes a wretched mistake outside his own box, allowing Calliste to chip in sensationally from 45 yards.

The game is sealed, and I can honestly say the atmosphere was unbelievable, more so than the promotions. Fans are shouting "you can't leave now!" as we head off the field.

Notts County 3-1 Notts Forest ATT: 20260

I give an inflammatory press conference in the heat of the moment after the game. "We're Number 1 in Nottingham now all right!" I crow. Barely able to disguise my delight I savour every moment of a great win, and it's obvious to all that I'm going nowhere.

Jan Rezek is interviewed on the telly saying I gave an "inspirational" team talk. We certainly turned it around after the break, and the players were fabulous, as we outshot them 15-6.

Gate receipts of 375K were a new record, although we recorded a 219K loss for the month.

| 1st | | Fulham | | 19 | 12 | 3 | 4 | 41 | 16 | +25 | 39 |

| 2nd | | Stoke | | 19 | 12 | 1 | 6 | 31 | 23 | +8 | 37 |

| 3rd | | Norwich | | 19 | 10 | 6 | 3 | 30 | 18 | +12 | 36 |

| 4th | | Crystal Palace | | 19 | 10 | 4 | 5 | 28 | 16 | +12 | 34 |

| 5th | | Reading | | 19 | 9 | 7 | 3 | 24 | 15 | +9 | 34 |

| 6th | | West Brom | | 19 | 10 | 4 | 5 | 25 | 17 | +8 | 34 |

| 7th | | Portsmouth | | 19 | 9 | 6 | 4 | 32 | 22 | +10 | 33 |

| 8th | | Notts Co | | 19 | 10 | 3 | 6 | 26 | 21 | +5 | 33 |

| 9th | | Derby | | 19 | 6 | 11 | 2 | 25 | 18 | +7 | 29 |

| 10th | | Sheff Utd | | 18 | 8 | 5 | 5 | 27 | 27 | 0 | 29 |

| 11th | | Southampton | | 19 | 6 | 8 | 5 | 24 | 21 | +3 | 26 |

| 12th | | Doncaster | | 19 | 7 | 5 | 7 | 30 | 28 | +2 | 26 |

| 13th | | Leicester | | 19 | 7 | 5 | 7 | 29 | 32 | -3 | 26 |

| 14th | | Coventry | | 19 | 5 | 9 | 5 | 30 | 32 | -2 | 24 |

| 15th | | Sunderland | | 19 | 5 | 7 | 7 | 24 | 25 | -1 | 22 |

| 16th | | Wolves | | 19 | 5 | 7 | 7 | 30 | 32 | -2 | 22 |

| 17th | | Ipswich | | 18 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 25 | 27 | -2 | 21 |

| 18th | | Plymouth | | 19 | 5 | 5 | 9 | 20 | 31 | -11 | 20 |

| 19th | | Nottm Forest | | 19 | 4 | 7 | 8 | 26 | 28 | -2 | 19 |

| 20th | | Crewe | | 19 | 5 | 4 | 10 | 18 | 30 | -12 | 19 |

| 21st | | Bournemouth | | 19 | 4 | 3 | 12 | 21 | 38 | -17 | 15 |

| 22nd | | Brighton | | 19 | 3 | 5 | 11 | 21 | 37 | -16 | 14 |

| 23rd | | Hull | | 19 | 3 | 5 | 11 | 13 | 30 | -17 | 14 |

| 24th | | Lincoln | | 19 | 3 | 2 | 14 | 22 | 38 | -16 | 11 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Some might say we've made a surprisingly good fist of this division, but I always thought that if we played to our potential, we'd be somewhere in the upper half of the table.

The challenge is to maintain it of course. 33 points is a hell of a good start, and 5 more wins will see relegation off the agenda. Once that's done, which I know it will be, we can focus on other things.

I'm already thinking about January. None of my thoroughbreds are likely to leave, unless I get blown away by an offer from Chelsea or something, but the squad does need pruning in some areas. We've had a great run of successful signings; now is the time to move up a level.

I have a philosophy of signing players who are capable of playing at a division higher than the one you're in, a contingency for success if you will. We've got the cash now, and the wage flexibility. I want to start signing impact players, top flight guys. This may be pie-in-the-sky, but I have sent the scouts out to see what's around. I already have one target in mind. Sunderland's Julio Arca is still fannying around at the Stadium of Light. Their club are going nowhere in our division, and I am contemplating a big bid for him. This is exactly the sort of guy I am thinking of, not really a household name, but a very highly-rated player who can and has done a solid job in the Premiership. Watch this space.

• 3 weeks later...

Well if you haven't all completely forgotten about this story, here's another update!

1st November Derby vs Notts County

Talk about after the Lord Mayor's show. Following the highly charged previous week is one of the most boring games I have ever been associated with. This is of course a local derby too, but that doesn't stop it from being chronic. We are poor, I almost think that as the home side they are even worse. However, we are outshot 11-7, and they clinch the points with a scrappy goal on 16 minutes.

Derby 1-0 Notts County ATT: 33577

Rezek will miss the next game through suspension, Lloyd has injured his wrist and is out 1-2 weeks, while Calliste injures himself playing for Wales and may miss up to a month. Fortunately there's a 2 week break to our next fixture, a home game with 15th placed Sunderland.

Forest hire Ray Wilkins, a thoroughly good bloke, as their new manager. It occurs to me that that c**t Nigel Doughty just used me to destabilise our club. I would not go back there now, which is just as well because they don't actually want me.

15th November Notts County vs Sunderland

Sparv replaces Rezek, with Hjalmar deputising for Calliste. A shaky start by us results in an 8th minute lead for them, but Hjalmar strikes back 5 minutes later. They re-take the lead on 22, and then we have a perfectly good goal disallowed. I have a feeling we are not getting anything and I am right. Two things are garbage here: our performance, and the result. Sunderland were even worse than we were, and somehow came away with a win.

Notts County 1-2 Sunderland ATT: 14998

22nd November Reading vs Notts County

Rezek is back for Sparv, while Lloyd is dropped and replaced by Morrison. We concede after 90 seconds, then again after 7 minutes, in a quite woeful display of defending. I lay into the lads at half-time, but it doesn't prevent us shipping another goal on 65. Hjalmar scores a "consolation" from the penalty spot on 83, only for Vitale to be sent off straight after, followed by an almost instantaneous goal for them. I go nuts in the dressing room, locking the doors, and having a right go at the players. As far as I am concerned they are cruising, and if they don't have the appetite for success, I'll get the players that do. They seem a little bit shocked.

Reading 4-1 Notts County ATT: 23348

Ebanks will miss 2-4 weeks with a thigh strain, while Lewis could miss two weeks with a hand injury.

26th November Swindon vs Notts County LG CUP 4th RD

Briland, Brandao, Lloyd, Tandy, and Pipe are drafted in, with Rezek pushed up front. I instruct Flamini to drop back in front of the back 4 as a genuine defensive midfielder. We've been shipping too many goals, and his game is not suited to a straight 4-4-2, so perhaps it will kill 2 birds with one stone. It's still 4-4-2, just a more cautious role for him.

I'm not surprised when the home side take a 15th minute lead, nor am I surprised by how sloppy the goal was. This has become our trademark of late. Hjalmar converts a penalty he won after 26. Then 8 minutes later, Pipe crosses dangerously for Rezek to head home. After the break, Tandy goes on an endless mazy run, before delivering a killer pass for Hjalmar to net easily (47). Nothing much else happens in a dull 2nd period, except for sub Parrika heading in a cross on 68. We had them quite easily, but I was unimpressed, since that's precisely what we should have done. Having said that, we did clinically despatch them, so maybe I am being a little bit hard on the lads.

Swindon 1-4 Notts County ATT: 4048

We'll play Man United or Bolton at home in the next round, which should be a decent moneyspinner either way.

I decide to release Emmet Friars. He showed flashes of promise, but his contract is expiring, and he's a mile down the depth chart. Football is a hard business.

29th November Notts County vs Portsmouth

Our unchanged side tackles the 7th placed club. They put us under heavy pressure to start with, then Rezek cocks up a great chance to give us an undeserved lead. We finally concede on 31, but almost straight away a great cross from Tandy forces their defender to put through his own net.

The game turns in the 37th minute when they score a complete fluke goal, an innocuous cross deflected past a hapless Briland, then they rub it in with another goal 2 minutes before the break. I'm so disgusted I don't even go into the dressing room, and Hjalmar's 86th minute "consolation" doesn't spare the lads from an absolute roasting after the game. If they thought I was angry at Reading, they didn't quite believe the fury that I had that Saturday evening. Robert Pires told me to cool it once or twice, but I kept coming back in for more. I have never been so furious with a sequence of results in my career, simply because the performances give the impression that the players don't give a s**t. That makes me boil. And I refuse to take that home to the wife and kids. I'm going to let the players have it. All of it.

Notts County 2-3 Portsmouth ATT: 12911

The month ends with a profit of 194K. League table to follow.

managed to recover the table here it is.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | Fulham | | 22 | 15 | 3 | 4 | 47 | 17 | +30 | 48 |

| 2nd | | West Brom | | 22 | 12 | 5 | 5 | 31 | 20 | +11 | 41 |

| 3rd | | Norwich | | 22 | 11 | 7 | 4 | 35 | 21 | +14 | 40 |

| 4th | | Portsmouth | | 22 | 11 | 6 | 5 | 37 | 26 | +11 | 39 |

| 5th | | Stoke | | 22 | 12 | 2 | 8 | 32 | 27 | +5 | 38 |

| 6th | | Reading | | 22 | 10 | 7 | 5 | 28 | 19 | +9 | 37 |

| 7th | | Crystal Palace | | 22 | 10 | 6 | 6 | 34 | 24 | +10 | 36 |

| 8th | | Leicester | | 22 | 10 | 5 | 7 | 33 | 32 | +1 | 35 |

| 9th | | Coventry | | 22 | 8 | 9 | 5 | 37 | 35 | +2 | 33 |

| 10th | | Notts Co | | 22 | 10 | 3 | 9 | 30 | 30 | 0 | 33 |

| 11th | | Sheff Utd | | 22 | 9 | 6 | 7 | 29 | 32 | -3 | 33 |

| 12th | | Doncaster | | 22 | 9 | 5 | 8 | 38 | 33 | +5 | 32 |

| 13th | | Southampton | | 22 | 7 | 10 | 5 | 31 | 26 | +5 | 31 |

| 14th | | Derby | | 22 | 6 | 12 | 4 | 26 | 21 | +5 | 30 |

| 15th | | Wolves | | 22 | 7 | 8 | 7 | 40 | 37 | +3 | 29 |

| 16th | | Sunderland | | 22 | 6 | 7 | 9 | 27 | 30 | -3 | 25 |

| 17th | | Ipswich | | 22 | 5 | 8 | 9 | 30 | 35 | -5 | 23 |

| 18th | | Plymouth | | 22 | 5 | 8 | 9 | 22 | 33 | -11 | 23 |

| 19th | | Nottm Forest | | 22 | 5 | 7 | 10 | 30 | 33 | -3 | 22 |

| 20th | | Brighton | | 22 | 5 | 6 | 11 | 26 | 39 | -13 | 21 |

| 21st | | Crewe | | 22 | 5 | 5 | 12 | 20 | 37 | -17 | 20 |

| 22nd | | Bournemouth | | 22 | 5 | 3 | 14 | 24 | 47 | -23 | 18 |

| 23rd | | Hull | | 22 | 4 | 5 | 13 | 19 | 35 | -16 | 17 |

| 24th | | Lincoln | | 22 | 4 | 3 | 15 | 29 | 46 | -17 | 15 |

I'm really irritable with the way things are going lately. We give one great performance and then rest on our laurels, as if there is a culture around the place that we're pleased with mid-table. I won't tolerate that.

It's not as good anymore now that Riggy has gone. He was a rock at this club. Pires is still settling into his role, but will inevitably suffer in comparison to the person he replaced. He's competent, but we don't have the same sort of rapport, because he's just not the type of person to go the pub. It's all a bit formal and stilted, which I suppose is the way it works on the continent.

Changes will be made in January. Not necessarily people leaving, because it might be hard to get their true value, and I don't do giveaways. However, there are some people in a comfort zone here, and some new faces around the place will certainly turn up the heat on them.

1st Dec The process begins. I sign ex Italy Under-21 AMRL ST Christian Giuffrida from Celtic for a fee of 800K. I had been shadowing him for a while, and he's been prospering in their reserves. He arrives on the 1st January.

5th January Feeling that we're too callow at the back, I tie up the signature of former Italian international full back Francesco Coco from Milan for 80K on an 8K/week deal until the end of the season. Pires thinks he's finished, but I'm prepared to roll the dice on a defender who has played at the very highest level, and is still only 32. He also arrives 1st January.

7th December Stoke vs Notts County

Calliste is back up front, with Rezek moving to ML. Our cause is helped when they have a man sent off inside 10 minutes, about the only stroke of luck we've had in ages. Yet we put in an abysmal 1st half display, and I savage the lads in the dressing room.

From a fairly aimless long punt downield, Hjalmar battles to win the ball and his shot is saved, only for Calliste to slam home the rebound for a 53rd minute lead. The home side manage to get another man sent off, and we manage to take advantage soon after this time, Rezek heading in a nice cross from Sparv with 20 minutes to go. The outcome is a formality from there, and I tell the lads that while it was a good result, the performance was tripe. It's our first win in 5.

Stoke 0-2 Notts County ATT: 20479

9th December Crewe vs Notts County

Briland has picked up an injury, to be replaced in goal by Lewis. Otherwise we're unchanged. A dreadful start by both teams, then they score somewhat against the run of play after 21 minutes. I am tired of ranting at half time, so just ignore them. The players continue to take money under false pretences in the 2nd half, until Hjalmar illuminates things with a nice run and shot on 82. A draw the result, and no praise from me, that's for sure. We should be beating these in our sleep.

Crewe 1-1 Notts County ATT: 4258

13th Notts County vs Plymouth

Unchanged again, and so is the performance. Both sides are utterly awful, then out of the mess that is this game, Hjalmar heads home after 33. The visitors equalise with the last kick of the half, which was entirely expected the way we've played lately. I say nothing again at half time, and Calliste answers my silence with a stunning volley after 49 to put us back in front. We hang on after that, if for no other reason than the game is too terrible to yield another goal. I have never felt so underwhelmed by a win.

Notts County 2-1 Plymouth ATT: 12848

16th December I'm not underwhelmed any more! I have just made the biggest signing in the history of this club! Jermaine Jenas, one year removed from his last cap for his country, is joining us on the 1st for a fee of 2.9M. He'd been on the list at Spurs for yonks, but I was convinced his 33K/week wages were insurmountable for us. P***ed off as I was with the current squad, I decided to ask, and discovered he was interested in coming to us! He gets 8.5K/week, with 1.7K appearance and assist bonuses. In addition, The Yiddos have to pay him 4.5K/ week till the end of his contract to get rid of him. A massive signing this. Fans gather outside the ground when the news comes through, and I look like a genius, which of course I am!

17th December Notts County vs Man United LG CUP Q-FINAL

Briland returns in the nets. We stun our famous visitors in the 1st minute, a brilliant pass from Hjalmar blasted in emphatically by Calliste. I'm sitting on the bench thinking this can't last, and in the 6th minute, a long ball is poked home by Saha for the equaliser. Just 4 minutes later however, Calliste's cross is put into his own net by Wes Brown. We hang on till half-time, and I go defensive. It invites all sorts of pressure 2nd half, and Briland pulls off some amazing stops. The pressure must surely tell, but with 10 minutes left, they over-commit, and after a lightning fast counter, Hjalmar is hacked down in the box. Flamini coolly despatches the kick, and Meadow Lane nearly has the roof lifted off by the roar. The stuffing is knocked out of them, and at the end Ferguson is as grumpy as f**k, shaking my hand like I had leprosy, before bolting off down the tunnel with a seething rage on his face.

Our dressing room is in transports of delight, and I tell the lads they were fantastic. Outshot, but tactically spot on. We sucked them in and blew them out in bubbles. A League Cup semi with Liverpool awaits.

Notts County 3-1 Man United ATT: 20277

Gate receipts of 400K were a record. Lloyd and Nisja picked up knocks and will miss a couple of weeks. Fans bombard local radio, with talk of my "tactical genius". Didn't I just get through telling you I was a genius?!

20th December West Brom vs Notts County

Morrison and Morais come in. A bad mistake by Brandao gives them the lead 3 minutes in, and they score again after 15. we are outshot 10-3 in the half, and I tell the lads I am expecting a win. It's much closer 2nd half, and Hjalmar chips in for sub Mark Yeates to net his 1st for the club (71). That's as close as we get, and I tell the lads that was a disappointing effort. The end of the worst 4 game unbeaten run in the league I think I've ever had.

West Brom 2-1 Notts County ATT: 29625

Richard Jones and Adrian Pettigrew both demand first team football. Since I am not in the business of accepting demands, I tell them to shut up and get on with it.

26th December Before the Boxing Day game I arrange for Radim Kopecky to join Yeovil for free. Not me and Riggy's finest hour this one. We thought he could play, and Riggy was especially keen on him, but he turned out to be a total flop. Still, it's 2K/week off the wage bill.

Notts County vs Norwich

They're riding high of course, but we're not scared! Yeates starts at MR. They start brightly, then we come back into it more. The lads come in at half time expecting a pat on the back, instead they get a furious team talk from me. We are too satisfied with mediocrity these days. Despite my performance in the dressing room, the game meanders to a crushingly boring draw. I suppose it's a good result.

Notts County 0-0 Norwich ATT: 13971

The injury list from this game is horrendous. Saritama broke his ribs (1-2 months), O'Hara is out 1-2 weeks, Morrison the same with a heel injury, and Ebanks marked his return to 1st team action by promptly getting injured again for 1-4 weeks.

30th December Leicester vs Notts County

Harkins and Lloyd come into the starting line-up. They start off like a house on fire, and we are easy meat, conceding after 11 and 19 minutes, in a particularly spineless display of defending. Straight after the break, Flamini heads in a Calliste cross, but the game descends into an ill-tempered affair, full of niggly fouls and poor football. It's as if Martin O'Neill never left Leicester. Despite that, I still blame our players, and get angry in the dressing room afterwards. Yeates has injured his elbow, and will miss 1-3 weeks.

Leicester 2-1 Notts County ATT: 31566

The month closes with a very tidy profit of 445K

| 1st | | Fulham | | 28 | 18 | 3 | 7 | 58 | 26 | +32 | 57 |

| 2nd | | West Brom | | 28 | 16 | 6 | 6 | 43 | 28 | +15 | 54 |

| 3rd | | Crystal Palace | | 28 | 14 | 8 | 6 | 45 | 28 | +17 | 50 |

| 4th | | Portsmouth | | 28 | 14 | 8 | 6 | 47 | 34 | +13 | 50 |

| 5th | | Norwich | | 28 | 12 | 12 | 4 | 42 | 27 | +15 | 48 |

| 6th | | Reading | | 28 | 12 | 8 | 8 | 36 | 26 | +10 | 44 |

| 7th | | Leicester | | 28 | 12 | 8 | 8 | 40 | 41 | -1 | 44 |

| 8th | | Derby | | 28 | 10 | 13 | 5 | 39 | 26 | +13 | 43 |

| 9th | | Doncaster | | 28 | 12 | 6 | 10 | 48 | 41 | +7 | 42 |

| 10th | | Stoke | | 28 | 13 | 3 | 12 | 35 | 38 | -3 | 42 |

| 11th | | Notts Co | | 28 | 12 | 5 | 11 | 37 | 36 | +1 | 41 |

| 12th | | Southampton | | 28 | 9 | 13 | 6 | 44 | 37 | +7 | 40 |

| 13th | | Coventry | | 28 | 9 | 11 | 8 | 45 | 47 | -2 | 38 |

| 14th | | Sheff Utd | | 28 | 10 | 8 | 10 | 37 | 42 | -5 | 38 |

| 15th | | Wolves | | 28 | 9 | 9 | 10 | 52 | 50 | +2 | 36 |

| 16th | | Sunderland | | 28 | 9 | 8 | 11 | 31 | 35 | -4 | 35 |

| 17th | | Ipswich | | 28 | 8 | 10 | 10 | 41 | 39 | +2 | 34 |

| 18th | | Crewe | | 28 | 8 | 6 | 14 | 31 | 44 | -13 | 30 |

| 19th | | Nottm Forest | | 28 | 6 | 11 | 11 | 41 | 42 | -1 | 29 |

| 20th | | Brighton | | 28 | 7 | 7 | 14 | 30 | 44 | -14 | 28 |

| 21st | | Plymouth | | 28 | 6 | 10 | 12 | 25 | 39 | -14 | 28 |

| 22nd | | Hull | | 28 | 7 | 5 | 16 | 25 | 43 | -18 | 26 |

| 23rd | | Bournemouth | | 28 | 5 | 5 | 18 | 26 | 57 | -31 | 20 |

| 24th | | Lincoln | | 28 | 4 | 5 | 19 | 33 | 61 | -28 | 17 |

1st January For the first time in a few years I reckon, we have a revolving door come the 1st of January. Or maybe my memory is going.

Lee Barnard arrives and walks straight into a controversial situation. The fans have him pegged as a troublemaker, which he denies. I only tell the press that I'm sure he's not any trouble at all, and if he is, his stay at our club will be a short and unpleasant one.

Jenas tells the press of his delight at ending his Spurs "hell", as he bravely hung on in there for nearly a year earning 33 grand a week.

Giuffrida and Coco arrive without any fuss, while Radim Kopecky disappears out the back door of Meadow Lane, confirming his status as the most disatrous signing I have made here by some distance.

4th January Notts County vs Hull FACUP RD 3

My team reads: Briland, Pipe, Coco, Ochoa, Brandao, Flamini, Giuffrida, Jenas, Calliste, Rezek, Tandy . We're very lively to start, with lots of chances. Eventually, a 35th minute free kick is beautifully curled in by Sparv, revealing set piece mastery I didn't realise he had. I encourage the lads at half time, which has the opposite effect when Jenas gets sent off on his debut for his second bookable offence 3 minutes after the restart. We are forced to hang on and make a very good fist of it. But this being the FA CUP of course, a mistake by Flamini gifts them an equaliser 4 minutes from time. A replay beckons.

Notts County 1-1 Hull ATT: 6872

A journalist asks me about Giuffrida's performance, which was very good, and I say he'll be an excellent signing for us. My thoughts on Jenas' debut would likely cause any newspaper that repeated them to be seized by the Obscene Publications Squad.

7th January Notts County vs Liverpool LG CUP SEMI LEG 1

This is a big one...sort of. I'm expecting us to get hammered, and I am not disappointed. They are 3 up after 18 minutes (on 3 shots) and we appear hopelessly outgunned. Cut a long story short we lose 5-0 in the end, though we were only outshot 11-5. We'll take the payday thanks.

Notts County 0-5 Liverpool ATT: 20271

Riggy and Southampton are our next opponents. It's all very cordial in the lead up to the game, but the two of us agree to keep all the personal ******** off the agenda and just restrict our comments to the game. He gets a standing ovation before kick-off, and I wholeheartedly join in. He deserves it. Once the whistle sounds, it's all business.

10th January Notts County vs Southampton

They're 2 places below us in the league, so we want a result here. Jenas and Jones replace Flamini and O'Hara.

It looks like we're still feeling generous towards our former assistant manager, when the visitors race into a 2 goal lead after 15 minutes. We're right in the game as regards chances, but the defence is a shambles. Rezek gets us back into it on 37 minutes with a nice run and shot. I do my "I'm not talking to you useless c***s" routine at half-time, and for once they seem to get the message. Calliste heads in a straightforward chance on 53, then a dreadful mistake worthy of our defence allows Rezek to pounce and score a gift-wrapped offering. I go defensive, yet they score straight away, so I go back to our usual tactics. It's as if both teams have worn the other out, and the game slides to an entertaining draw.

Notts County 3-3 Southampton ATT: 10510

Both Riggy and I are disappointed afterwards, and over a drink in the bar we discuss how things are going. He's as tight as piano wire, and admits that management is tougher than he realised, especially with Rupert Lowe breathing down his neck at Southampton. Apparently the fans haven't warmed to him either, because he's not a "big name". I tell him not to worry, class will always come through. We have a right go at the booze that night, and he heads back to the South Coast the next morning.

12th January A Monday morning that may come to be known in club history as "the day of the long knives". I fire the entire coaching staff, and attempt to demote Pires back to a coach, but he refuses and I don't want to spend the money on his pay-off. The rest of the coaching staff didn't see this one coming, but to be honest I can't imagine why. Results and performances have been abysmal of late. These guys weren't my appointments, I inherited them. They were happy to claim the credit off me and Riggy's back, now that we're playing sh**e, they'll have to shoulder the blame. It's not pretty, but it has to be done. We'll soldier on with just me and the Frenchman for now.

14th January Hull vs Notts County FA REPLAY

Brandao moves to DL, with Vitale at DC, Coco DR, Nisja MR, and Lewis back in net. We dominate the first half, and of course go behind after 29 minutes. I don't deign to give them a team talk again, and they take it badly, culminating in Vitale getting sent off for a professional foul with 20 minutes left. Terrible rubbish, even with 10 men we look to have the beating of them if we only played to half of our potential. But we don't.

Hull 1-0 Notts County ATT:16927

Vitale complains when I fine him for getting sent off. I am deaf to his entreaties.

17th January Notts County vs Fulham

They arrive very cocksure of themselves, and why wouldn't they be sitting in 1st place, and with us playing like drains. Lloyd is back at DL with Brandao at DC and Giuffrida MR. We have all the play and all the shots, but get absolutely f**k all. They are taken aback by our onslaught, though manage to hang on through wave after wave of our attacks. Then just as I am drafting a resignation letter in my head, a sweet move culminates with Hjalmar centreing for Calliste to hook it in. Relief erupts in the stands and on the bench. Everyone knows this will be our well deserved winner. I was pleased to draw some of the cockiness out of Fulham too.

Notts County 1-0 Fulham ATT: 12737

21st January Richard Jones leaves the club for 1 million pounds to join Dundee. I'd lost faith in the lad, and he started whining as well, which is never a good idea with me.

Liverpool vs Notts County LG CUP SEMI 2ND LEG

Every possible reserve comes in, and if we were hopelessly outclassed in the 1st leg, we are even more so here. They win 4-0, outshooting us 24-7, but by God we get paid. When all the beans are counted, we come out of this one game 600 grand in front.

Liverpool 4-0 Notts County ATT: 59488

27th January Notts County vs Sheff Utd

As always, a horrible 1st half, but this time punctuated with a headed goal by Rezek from a pin-point Nisja cross. I encourage the lads at half time, and they respond well, going forward with purpose and creating chances. In the 61st minute, Tandy crosses for the Czech to complete his double. Despite them getting and scoring a dodgy penalty just before time, we deserve this one.

Notts County 2-1 Sheff Utd ATT: 13658

28th January Lots of pre deadline transfer action. I sign Aussie keeper Brad Jones from Boro and Liverpool reserve utility defender Lee Peltier both on end of season Bosmans, both against the advice of my assistant manager.

Filipe Morais joins Huddersfield for 500K. The time had come for him to move on. I was fond of him, but he was found out at higher levels I feel.

Jonathon Evans is surplus to requirements, and is bombed out to Exeter for the 55K I paid for him, while Frazer Richardson joins Sheffield Wednesday for 50K, for the same reason I sold Morais - I'd lost confidence in his ability.

31st January Doncaster vs Notts County

Giuffrida comes in at ML, otherwise we're unchanged. Jenas manages to get sent off again, this time in 1st half injury time. Considering they score twice in the 5 minutes after the break, it would be fair to say that I am livid with him. The defeat is a formality from there, and I fine the former England man. He complains, and we get into a dressing room shouting match, which I win when I threaten to fine him 2 weeks wages instead, telling him that if he doesn't like the way things are done here, he can p**s off back to Spurs reserves.

Doncaster 2-0 Notts County ATT: 15439

January ends with a quite obscene profit of 3 million pounds.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | West Brom | | 33 | 20 | 6 | 7 | 57 | 33 | +24 | 66 |

| 2nd | | Norwich | | 33 | 17 | 12 | 4 | 56 | 32 | +24 | 63 |

| 3rd | | Portsmouth | | 33 | 16 | 11 | 6 | 58 | 41 | +17 | 59 |

| 4th | | Fulham | | 32 | 18 | 4 | 10 | 58 | 33 | +25 | 58 |

| 5th | | Crystal Palace | | 33 | 14 | 10 | 9 | 50 | 40 | +10 | 52 |

| 6th | | Leicester | | 32 | 14 | 10 | 8 | 45 | 42 | +3 | 52 |

| 7th | | Stoke | | 33 | 16 | 4 | 13 | 46 | 47 | -1 | 52 |

| 8th | | Derby | | 33 | 11 | 17 | 5 | 43 | 29 | +14 | 50 |

| 9th | | Reading | | 33 | 13 | 9 | 11 | 41 | 32 | +9 | 48 |

| 10th | | Doncaster | | 33 | 14 | 6 | 13 | 54 | 47 | +7 | 48 |

| 11th | | Notts Co | | 33 | 14 | 6 | 13 | 44 | 45 | -1 | 48 |

| 12th | | Southampton | | 32 | 9 | 17 | 6 | 50 | 43 | +7 | 44 |

| 13th | | Wolves | | 33 | 11 | 11 | 11 | 63 | 60 | +3 | 44 |

| 14th | | Coventry | | 33 | 10 | 14 | 9 | 49 | 54 | -5 | 44 |

| 15th | | Sheff Utd | | 32 | 12 | 8 | 12 | 42 | 48 | -6 | 44 |

| 16th | | Sunderland | | 33 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 37 | 39 | -2 | 41 |

| 17th | | Nottm Forest | | 33 | 8 | 14 | 11 | 48 | 44 | +4 | 38 |

| 18th | | Ipswich | | 33 | 9 | 11 | 13 | 43 | 47 | -4 | 38 |

| 19th | | Crewe | | 33 | 10 | 6 | 17 | 36 | 54 | -18 | 36 |

| 20th | | Brighton | | 33 | 9 | 8 | 16 | 40 | 52 | -12 | 35 |

| 21st | | Plymouth | | 33 | 8 | 11 | 14 | 31 | 47 | -16 | 35 |

| 22nd | | Hull | | 33 | 9 | 6 | 18 | 36 | 50 | -14 | 33 |

| 23rd | | Lincoln | | 33 | 6 | 5 | 22 | 44 | 71 | -27 | 23 |

| 24th | | Bournemouth | | 33 | 5 | 5 | 23 | 27 | 68 | -41 | 20 |

6th February I had recently been running an ad for new coaches. A very interesting response was garnered, and I make a raft of hirings.

Gary Speed was the first to sign up, followed by Jari Litmanen, Dennis Bergkamp, and Yuri Djorkaeff. They all signed the same contracts, 1.1K/week until 2012. Their coaching experience is negligible, but my God they're big names! If the players can't learn from them, who can they learn from?

I wasn't really blown away by any of the other candidates, so I just said "f**k it", let's have some star power. It can't hurt, though I am wondering if I have actually signed up a serviceable coaching staff, or a team of celebrity greeters. We shall see.

7th February Brighton vs Notts County

With my star studded coaching staff in tow, we head for the south coast. O'Hara replaces Jenas. As is the custom, we start brightly then concede a sloppy goal (27), before Rezek fires in a leveller 4 minutes later. I tell the lads that we can win this, though they can't have been listening. We concede again after 61, then give away a penalty, which is converted, after 72. It's one of those days (which we have been having plenty of lately). Despite outshooting them 14-9, we fall to a struggling side. Nowhere near good enough.

Brighton 3-1 Notts County ATT: 8935

10th February I tie up the free transfer signing of Lithuanian international winger Edgaras Cesnauskis from Dynamo Kiev. This is one guy I'd had my eye on for a while, yet had to wait until his contract was up. He looks top-class, and costs it too. His contract calls for 7K/week till 2012, with a large signing on fee on top of that.

We've been making do on the left wing for years. Rezek played a lot there, but he's really a striker who can play a bit on the wing. Nowadays, I want him exclusively up front. This is the out and out wing man I have been looking for for a while. As a freebie, he joins immediately, and goes straight into the side.

10th February Notts County vs Crystal Palace

Pipe, Jenas, Cesnauskis, and Hjalmar replace Coco, O'Hara, Giuffrida, and Calliste.

The usual. We dominate, they score (24). How tiresome. This time I tell the lads that our pride is at stake (as if we have any). Eventually, Rezek (who definitely has some pride as well as class) heads in a Pipe cross for an equaliser. Despite battering them again and again, that's all we get, in a match where we outshot our opponents 12-4.

Notts County 1-1 Crystal Palace ATT: 12212

Cesnauskis was man of the match, and I confirm to a journalist afterwards that I am delighted to have signed him.

There's plenty I am not delighted with though. I have been rebuffed several times by the board in my quest for a new contract, to the point where I am now seriously pi**ed off. Hull have sacked Kevin Blackwell, and though Martin Allen has been tagged as the favourite, I throw my hat into the ring.

14th February Bournemouth vs Notts County

They are dead last in the table, so should beat us easily. Morrison replaces the injured Lloyd at DL, with Vitale and Calliste for Brandao and Hjalmar.

The time honoured pattern is followed, the home side scoring after 6 minutes this time, and a full half of domination is rewarded with us going in behind. After more pressure, Flamini lobs in and Rezek finally forces home (51) although how the hell it took that long I don't know. A long punt from Vitale 4 minutes later is latched onto by sub Ebanks, who finishes nicely to put us very deservedly in front. I go defensive straight away, which tells you my mindset after our recent dreadful performances. Flamini is at it again though on 82, chipping through for Ebanks to fire in a clinical 2nd. A good result, though one we would have taken for granted earlier in the season.

Bournemouth 1-3 Notts County ATT: 8977

15th February Hull's "ambitious" chairman Adam Pearson is on the dog and bone, offering me the manager's position at 2.8K/week for a 3 year deal. I am totally honest with him about the situation. I am pi**ed off but want to stay here, however if they don't come through with a decent contract, I'll be off to Hull like a shot. I ask him to delay this until the end of the season. He is very understanding, and really boosts my confidence by saying "you are the man we want."

17th February Another transfer target is on his way to Meadow Lane. Outstanding young Ukranian AMLC Sasha Iakovenko will join us from Belgian side Lierse on an end of season Bosman with 800K compensation due to his tender age. Our scouts have been absolutely creaming about this boy, and it's things like this that really firm up my intention to stay here if I can only get the bast**ds to offer me a new deal.

19th February Saritama is finally back in training. Dust off the cliche about "he's been out so long it's like a new signing."

21st February Notts County vs Hull

Oh how the fates collide. If I'd left in a fit of pique, my first game in charge of Hull would have been right back here.

The visitors are lively, yet for once we steal the lead. Jenas delivers a searching cross to the back post for Nisja to head in, the only real action of a drab 1st half. I impress on the lads not to get careless. The game proceeds in the same stone-dead manner as before, and I strangle any remaining life out of it by going defensive with 15 minutes left. They huff and puff a little bit, but give us little trouble in hanging on. A sh**e performance and a much needed win.

Notts County 1-0 Hull ATT: 10376

23rd February Jarno Parikka bleats about his lack of first team action in the local media. Had he played any better in the opportunities he had, then he wouldn't have cause to complain. As it is I have already decided to bomb him out at the end of the season. I would have got rid of him in January except there weren't any takers.

February ends with a loss of 21.62K. This causes a minor boardroom earthquake, where they've become accustomed to stuffing large amounts of cash under sofa cushions ever since I took over.

| 1st | | West Brom | | 37 | 22 | 7 | 8 | 63 | 38 | +25 | 73 |

| 2nd | | Norwich | | 37 | 19 | 13 | 5 | 68 | 39 | +29 | 70 |

| 3rd | | Fulham | | 37 | 20 | 4 | 13 | 62 | 40 | +22 | 64 |

| 4th | | Portsmouth | | 37 | 17 | 13 | 7 | 62 | 44 | +18 | 64 |

| 5th | | Leicester | | 36 | 17 | 10 | 9 | 53 | 45 | +8 | 61 |

| 6th | | Doncaster | | 37 | 18 | 6 | 13 | 64 | 48 | +16 | 60 |

| 7th | | Crystal Palace | | 37 | 15 | 12 | 10 | 54 | 43 | +11 | 57 |

| 8th | | Derby | | 37 | 12 | 20 | 5 | 47 | 32 | +15 | 56 |

| 9th | | Stoke | | 37 | 16 | 8 | 13 | 50 | 51 | -1 | 56 |

| 10th | | Notts Co | | 36 | 16 | 7 | 13 | 49 | 47 | +2 | 55 |

| 11th | | Reading | | 37 | 13 | 12 | 12 | 43 | 36 | +7 | 51 |

| 12th | | Sheff Utd | | 37 | 14 | 9 | 14 | 46 | 55 | -9 | 51 |

| 13th | | Wolves | | 37 | 12 | 13 | 12 | 70 | 67 | +3 | 49 |

| 14th | | Coventry | | 37 | 11 | 15 | 11 | 55 | 61 | -6 | 48 |

| 15th | | Ipswich | | 37 | 12 | 11 | 14 | 53 | 55 | -2 | 47 |

| 16th | | Nottm Forest | | 37 | 10 | 16 | 11 | 56 | 47 | +9 | 46 |

| 17th | | Southampton | | 37 | 9 | 19 | 9 | 55 | 52 | +3 | 46 |

| 18th | | Sunderland | | 37 | 10 | 15 | 12 | 40 | 42 | -2 | 45 |

| 19th | | Brighton | | 37 | 10 | 10 | 17 | 46 | 57 | -11 | 40 |

| 20th | | Plymouth | | 37 | 9 | 13 | 15 | 42 | 58 | -16 | 40 |

| 21st | | Crewe | | 37 | 11 | 6 | 20 | 40 | 63 | -23 | 39 |

| 22nd | | Hull | | 36 | 10 | 6 | 20 | 38 | 55 | -17 | 36 |

| 23rd | | Lincoln | | 36 | 6 | 6 | 24 | 48 | 80 | -32 | 24 |

| 24th | | Bournemouth | | 37 | 5 | 5 | 27 | 30 | 79 | -49 | 20 |

We're somehow still in with a serious chance of cracking the playoffs. Maybe I have become too used to success, but I am amazed we're still in the hunt. Having played well below our potential for a couple of months now, I expected us to be mired in mid table. A long winning streak could see us contesting the Premiership lottery come the end of the season.

1st March Lincoln vs Notts County

The Imps are struggling in 22nd. Flushed with success from our last game, I name an unchanged 11. Pipe helps get us underway, crossing for a criminally unmarked Rezek to nut it in after 2 minutes. There then follows some of the worst defending I have ever seen from two professional teams, and the fact that no goals accrue is only due to the even worse standard of finishing.

This slightly odd game continues after half time, when Cesnauskis scores with what appears to be an attempted cross. The commentary acclaims it as a wonder strike, so who am I to argue? On 62 minutes, Pipe gift wraps the ball to an opposition striker for 2-1. Just 6 minutes later, Ochoa gets in on the act, getting caught in possession leading to an Imps equaliser. Just as I am pondering 2 more dropped points, Rezek pops up to head in a very dangerous corner from Cesnauskis, and we have our 3rd straight win. Once again, this winning streak has contained some of the worst football we've ever played. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. We made very heavy weather of what should have been a simple win.

Lincoln 2-3 Notts County ATT: 8786

3rd March Notts County vs Wolves

Calliste and Saritama replace Ebanks and Flamini, the Frenchman having picked up a suspension. Comical defending in this one again, as we concede two entirely preventable goals after 2 and 4 minutes. A litany of misplaced passes, defensive errors and general poor play characterises the first half. I appeal to the team's pride at half time, which results in another goal straight away for the visitors. The less said about this one the better, although I try to introduce sarcasm into the team talk at the end, by telling the squad I am elated with their performance.

Notts County 0-3 Wolves ATT: 12089

7th March Ipswich vs Notts County

Briland, Brandao, and Hjalmar replace Lewis, Morrison, and Calliste. In a crappy 1st half, I experiment by going defensive early, which blunts them until half-time, without creating anything ourselves. On the hour, Cesnauskis produces another A-Level cross for Rezek to emphatically fire home. We counter nicely after the goal, and on 70 minutes, Flamini produces a slide rule pass for Cesnauskis to absolutely hammer one into the far corner with his devastating left foot. The home side look beaten, and with 10 minutes to go, sub Nuno Morais completes the rout with a jammy deflected shot, his first goal for the club. A superb performance by the lads, which delights the board. It delights but also vexes me. How the hell can we produce stuff like this straight after the ineptitude against Wolves?

Ipswich 0-3 Notts County ATT: 26056

14th March Notts County vs Coventry

Calliste replaces the suspended Rezek, and immediately has an effect, chipping to the back post for Hjalmar to head in (17). We continue to dominate, creating lots with nothing coming in the other direction. Come 70 minutes, I go defensive, and Sod's Law, Cesnauskis whips in a free kick that finds Hjalmar with the goal at his mercy for 2-0. Of course the visitors score the usual "consolation" (91), just to annoy me. Realistically, they were never in with a shout, and could have lost 10-1 on another day.

Notts County 2-1 Coventry ATT: 15210

22nd March Riggy has received the dreaded vote of confidence at Southampton. Results have been average, Rupert Lowe expects more down there. Selfishly, I envisage a scenario where he gets canned and comes back as my assistant. Instead I weigh in with the media, backing him to the hilt, saying he's a gem and they have to stick with him. Riggy responds warmly in the press, and calls me up personally too. I let him know there's always a job here, though he should fight like hell to hang on to the one he has.

In our business, Ochoa picked up a training injury, and will miss 1-2 weeks.

28th March Sunderland vs Notts County

Brandao replaces Ochoa, with Lloyd at DL. I try defensive again, which comes a cropper after 15 minutes. Despite going attacking, we are getting absolutely killed out there by a very modest side. I question the passion at half-time. It does no good. Outshot 15-8, it was a very poor performance, and at the end I tell the lads they were embarrassing.

Sunderland 1-0 Notts County ATT: 29190

31st March FINALLY! A new contract is offered, not before time. They want 4 years, at 3K/week, but I am only interested in 1 year at a time. I diddled myself last time around and am not falling for that again. People talk about security, however I reckon I'll not be short of job offers if they boot me out. Before the press conference and all that crap, I call Adam Pearson to let him know. He is ok about it, telling me he has Martin Allen lined up as his second choice to take over at Hull. It's all very cordial and professional...not like football at all!

David Pipe speaks for the players, saying he's delighted that they have finally seen sense. Bit of a pity that, because I haven't been happy with his form this term, and am thinking of replacing him at the end of the season.

The club makes a princely profit of 15K for the month.

| 1st | Pl | West Brom | | 41 | 25 | 7 | 9 | 69 | 42 | +27 | 82 |

| 2nd | | Norwich | | 41 | 20 | 14 | 7 | 73 | 46 | +27 | 74 |

| 3rd | | Fulham | | 41 | 23 | 4 | 14 | 72 | 44 | +28 | 73 |

| 4th | | Portsmouth | | 41 | 19 | 13 | 9 | 69 | 51 | +18 | 70 |

| 5th | | Leicester | | 41 | 19 | 12 | 10 | 61 | 52 | +9 | 69 |

| 6th | | Doncaster | | 41 | 20 | 6 | 15 | 70 | 53 | +17 | 66 |

| 7th | | Crystal Palace | | 41 | 18 | 12 | 11 | 60 | 45 | +15 | 66 |

| 8th | | Notts Co | | 41 | 19 | 7 | 15 | 57 | 54 | +3 | 64 |

| 9th | | Derby | | 41 | 14 | 20 | 7 | 50 | 36 | +14 | 62 |

| 10th | | Stoke | | 41 | 18 | 8 | 15 | 57 | 58 | -1 | 62 |

| 11th | | Reading | | 41 | 15 | 13 | 13 | 51 | 41 | +10 | 58 |

| 12th | | Wolves | | 41 | 14 | 14 | 13 | 78 | 72 | +6 | 56 |

| 13th | | Sunderland | | 41 | 13 | 15 | 13 | 46 | 45 | +1 | 54 |

| 14th | | Sheff Utd | | 41 | 15 | 9 | 17 | 49 | 62 | -13 | 54 |

| 15th | | Nottm Forest | | 41 | 12 | 16 | 13 | 64 | 54 | +10 | 52 |

| 16th | | Coventry | | 41 | 12 | 16 | 13 | 59 | 66 | -7 | 52 |

| 17th | | Southampton | | 41 | 10 | 20 | 11 | 61 | 58 | +3 | 50 |

| 18th | | Ipswich | | 41 | 12 | 12 | 17 | 57 | 67 | -10 | 48 |

| 19th | | Crewe | | 41 | 13 | 6 | 22 | 46 | 71 | -25 | 45 |

| 20th | | Brighton | | 41 | 11 | 11 | 19 | 52 | 65 | -13 | 44 |

| 21st | | Hull | | 41 | 12 | 8 | 21 | 45 | 60 | -15 | 44 |

| 22nd | | Plymouth | | 41 | 10 | 14 | 17 | 45 | 62 | -17 | 44 |

| 23rd | | Lincoln | | 41 | 8 | 6 | 27 | 60 | 92 | -32 | 30 |

| 24th | R | Bournemouth | | 41 | 6 | 5 | 30 | 32 | 87 | -55 | 23 |

We're still well in the hunt for the playoffs. We shall see. I'm really disappointed with our record in some respects. We haven't scored enough, and yet we've conceded far too many. I don't think it's our pattern of play, it worked fine for the last four years. A couple of the players aren't good enough, and will be replaced. A couple more of them are good enough, but aren't trying hard enough.

Even if we do snipe into the playoffs, I will not allow sentiment to obscure what may need to be done next year. We wasted a hot start this season. I must ruthlessly weed out inconsistent players if we are to get better and get to the Premiership. After all, that was my mission when we started.

We're still well in the hunt for the playoffs. We shall see. I'm really disappointed with our record in some respects. We haven't scored enough, and yet we've conceded far too many. I don't think it's our pattern of play, it worked fine for the last four years. A couple of the players aren't good enough, and will be replaced. A couple more of them are good enough, but aren't trying hard enough.

Even if we do snipe into the playoffs, I will not allow sentiment to obscure what may need to be done next year. We wasted a hot start this season. I must ruthlessly weed out inconsistent players if we are to get better and get to the Premiership. After all, that was my mission when we started.

4th April Forest vs Notts County

The last thing I need when chasing the playoffs is a local derby. Giuffrida replaces the injured Nisja and I try Barnard up front with Calliste. Morrison and Morais replace Lloyd and Brandao.

Pipe gives us a great start, getting sent off after 8 minutes. They score after 12, and I'm thinking the obvious, that the silly f**ker has cost us the game. I am not happy at half time, either with him or the general performance. However on 53 minutes, all is forgiven, as a managerial hunch works a charm. Barnard curls in a stunning shot, reminiscent of his first incarnation as a County player. I fall back defensively, not expecting to hang on. However, they are very disappointing, and we do get over the line without any real trouble. Under the circumstances, we played well 2nd half and actually probably deserved a point. If we'd kept 11 on the field we'd have had a great chance of winning.

Forest 1-1 Notts County ATT: 30585

Pipe moans when I fine him. Rather than bawl him out I just say nothing. I feel like thumping him to be honest.

11th April Notts County vs Derby

Another accursed derby. Brandao, Ochoa, and Coco return for this one. We are very lively, creating tonnes of openings but not managing to score. I tell the lads to stick at it, and we continue to press. With 16 minutes left, Cesnauskis skilfully flights a cross onto sub Hjalmar's head, and he makes no mistake to give us the lead. Derby equalise straight away of course. Just as I am boiling over with rage, Cesnauskis does it again. A mazy run, during which he leaves defenders standing, is interrupted by a crude challenge in the box. Hjalmar emphatically nets the spot kick, and there's no way back for the visitors this time. Nor should there be. We absolutely dominated this game from start to finish.

Notts County 2-1 Derby ATT: 20271

13th April Notts County vs Reading

Rezek and Hjalmar return, the latter stepping up from the bench. The visitors score in the 7th and 27th minutes. Coupled with a sending off for Giuffrida after 50 minutes, this is a rotten performance, which I am going to gloss over. There was a lot of media speculation afterwards about tempers flaring in the dressing room following the game. That's absolutely true. I was livid with the players, and incensed that Giuffrida

moaned when I fined him. I thought our playoff chances had gone, but the other contenders are stumbling too.

Notts County 0-2 Reading ATT: 13157

18th April Plymouth vs Notts County

Yeates plays MR and Calliste replaces Rezek who has picked up an injury that could see him miss 4 weeks. Cesnauskis looks really dangerous from the off, and a penetrating cross allows Calliste to shoot in hard and low for an early lead. The Lithuanian goes one better just before the half-hour, when a powerful shot is deflected past the helpless Pilgrims keeper. We perform very professionally right through this game, though a slight scare with a goal for them in the 89th minute doesn't hurt us. I am pleased with this one, and amazed to find that more bumbling from the other playoff contenders has seen us move up to 6th spot in the table. We are being handed a playoff place on a plate.

Plymouth 1-2 Notts County ATT: 28670

26th April Stoke vs Notts County

We win and we're in. That's the simple equation of this one. I take the pressure off the lads and tell them to just go and play. No scoreboard watching. They can, and should win this one, though Stoke are a reasonable side.

The players are confident and lively from the start, pushing the home side back. On 32 minutes, Calliste finds himself totally alone with the keeper, and has 3 pokes at it before finally forcing in our opener. 7 minutes later, the Welshman expertly plays in Hjalmar for number 2, and we're coasting. Not for long. In 1st half injury time, we concede our trademark sloppy goal, but another trademark, a powerful header from Hjalmar, restores our 2 goal cushion after 66 minutes. We really are coasting now, and don't have to worry about scoreboard watching. We're in with a win. There's no elation afterwards, except from the supporters. Myself and the players know that all we've achieved is the extension of our season, with the distant possibility of a Premiership place at the end of it.

Stoke 1-3 Notts County ATT: 20276

The board, no doubt feeling orgasmic in their wallets, are delighted with the play-off place. I was aiming for that at the start of the season, so my reaction is blase at best. The club profits by 454K for the month.

| 1st | C | West Brom | | 46 | 28 | 9 | 9 | 80 | 45 | +35 | 93 |

| 2nd | P | Norwich | | 46 | 22 | 16 | 8 | 81 | 52 | +29 | 82 |

| 3rd | Pl | Fulham | | 46 | 25 | 5 | 16 | 78 | 49 | +29 | 80 |

| 4th | Pl | Portsmouth | | 46 | 21 | 14 | 11 | 75 | 58 | +17 | 77 |

| 5th | Pl | Leicester | | 46 | 21 | 13 | 12 | 67 | 58 | +9 | 76 |

| 6th | Pl | Notts Co | | 46 | 22 | 8 | 16 | 65 | 60 | +5 | 74 |

| 7th | | Doncaster | | 46 | 22 | 7 | 17 | 75 | 60 | +15 | 73 |

| 8th | | Crystal Palace | | 46 | 19 | 14 | 13 | 64 | 50 | +14 | 71 |

| 9th | | Reading | | 46 | 18 | 15 | 13 | 58 | 44 | +14 | 69 |

| 10th | | Stoke | | 46 | 20 | 9 | 17 | 66 | 67 | -1 | 69 |

| 11th | | Derby | | 46 | 15 | 22 | 9 | 55 | 41 | +14 | 67 |

| 12th | | Wolves | | 46 | 16 | 16 | 14 | 88 | 81 | +7 | 64 |

| 13th | | Coventry | | 46 | 16 | 16 | 14 | 67 | 69 | -2 | 64 |

| 14th | | Southampton | | 46 | 13 | 21 | 12 | 72 | 65 | +7 | 60 |

| 15th | | Nottm Forest | | 46 | 13 | 20 | 13 | 69 | 58 | +11 | 59 |

| 16th | | Sheff Utd | | 46 | 15 | 13 | 18 | 55 | 69 | -14 | 58 |

| 17th | | Sunderland | | 46 | 13 | 17 | 16 | 49 | 53 | -4 | 56 |

| 18th | | Ipswich | | 46 | 14 | 14 | 18 | 63 | 72 | -9 | 56 |

| 19th | | Hull | | 46 | 14 | 10 | 22 | 53 | 67 | -14 | 52 |

| 20th | | Plymouth | | 46 | 11 | 17 | 18 | 53 | 70 | -17 | 50 |

| 21st | | Brighton | | 46 | 11 | 13 | 22 | 52 | 72 | -20 | 46 |

| 22nd | R | Crewe | | 46 | 13 | 7 | 26 | 50 | 82 | -32 | 46 |

| 23rd | R | Lincoln | | 46 | 9 | 7 | 30 | 67 | 101 | -34 | 34 |

| 24th | R | Bournemouth | | 46 | 7 | 5 | 34 | 39 | 98 | -59 | 26 |

Doncaster slipped up very badly in the final weeks of the season. They kept giving us a chance, when any decent run of form would have buried us. I'm not complaining, though I seriously doubt we'll make a decent fist of the playoffs. We have injury problems, and we're really not playing well at all, even when we win. Next season should provide a more genuine promotion push.

3rd April Notts County vs Fulham Playoff Semi 1st Leg

I don't have a great feeling about this. Here's my team. Briland, Coco, Brandao, Ochoa, Vitale, Flamini, Yeates, Jenas, Hjalmar, Calliste, Cesnauskis.

They start brightly, and we look tactically bankrupt. Calliste is forced off early with an injury, to be replaced by Ebanks. It makes little difference. After a very poor 1st half from us, when we are lucky to be on level terms, I go nuts at the players. We were outshot 8-0 and that's pathetic. Despite my tirade, we're not much better 2nd half. We start creating chances, but are woeful in front of goal. The commentary seems to think my team talk put a rocket up the players, yet we are still nowhere near our best. The 0-0 final looks about right on our 2nd half performance, though overall it was a depressing game.

Notts County 0-0 Fulham ATT: 20267

Speaking of which, Calliste has torn his hamstring, and with a 2-3 month recovery period, he could miss the start of next season, never mind the last game(s) of this one. Cosmic.

Cos-bloody-mic.

6th April Fulham vs Notts County 2nd Leg

The squad is starting to look bedraggled with injury as we arrive in London.

Nisja is back though, and replaces Yeates. They are all over us like a drool on a baby right from the first whistle. Briland is superb in goal, but eventually is beaten in 1st half injury time. I know in my heart of hearts that the game is up here, and I am not surprised when we concede again after 53. The lads don't exactly give up, though it looks like they have been ground down by the long season. Two more goals conceded in the last few minutes give an unfairly humiliating tinge to the scoreline, however, we were beaten fair and square today.

I am not too hard on the lads afterwards, commending them for a great overall effort this year (despite the shocking nature of many of the performances). I tell them they can be proud of a 6th place finish, and it can only stand us in good stead for next year, when we really should be starting to think seriously about promotion.

The trip home isn't exactly a barrel of laughs, though the spirit is ok. I sit at the front with the coaching staff, silently thinking about next season, before turning my mind towards my usual very long Summer holiday.

During the next week I make some personnel decisions, without consulting the brains trust as I used to when Riggy was still here. Coco gets free transferred, since his contract wasn't going to be renewed anyway. I transfer list Lewis, Tandy, Yeates, and Hjalmar. The first and last guys because they can bring good money, the middle two because they are never going to be world beaters, and I can get a good few hundred grand for them.

15th May I sell Adrian Pettigrew to Morecambe for 250K, which involved more thought than it normally does for a player on the transfer list. I eventually decide that he's hit the glass ceiling, or at the very least, he needs to go backwards before he can go forwards.

29th May Ianis Zicu a young Romanian international AMC will be joining us from Inter. A Bosman this one, a 4 year deal at 7.5K/week. His pedigree is very good, and I am expecting good things, although he's not as exciting as Iakovenko, who looks a real gem.

The club records a loss of 161K for the month, and just before I p**s off for the Summer, it's time to look back on the season as a whole.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| - | Inj | Edgaras Cesnauskis | AM L, F C | Very Good | 6-9-7-7-6 | 64% | 15 | 2 | 7.33 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| - | Inj | Jan Rezek | AM LC, F C | Okay | 7-9-7-8-6 | 63% | 43 (1) | 21 | 7.27 |

| - | | Luca Vitale | D C | Very Good | 7-9-8-8-6 | 100% | 29 | 1 | 7.21 |

| - | | Jermaine Jenas | AM RC | Very Good | 6-7-7-8-6 | 96% | 21 | - | 7.14 |

| - | | Philip Briland | GK | Very Good | 7-8-8-7-5 | 100% | 23 | - | 7.13 |

| - | | Luis Fernando Saritama | M C | Very Poor | 7-8-7-6-7 | 92% | 15 (7) | 2 | 7.09 |

| - | Lst | James Tandy | AM L | Poor | 7-6-7-7-7 | 96% | 10 (1) | - | 7.09 |

| - | | Anthony Lloyd | D/WB L | Poor | 7-7-6-7-6 | 96% | 33 | - | 7.09 |

| - | | Diego Ochoa | D C, DM | Very Good | 7-7-7-7-6 | 100% | 46 | 1 | 7.07 |

| - | | Mathieu Flamini | DM | Very Good | 7-8-8-7-6 | 98% | 42 (4) | 2 | 7.07 |

| - | | Gonçalo Brandão | D LC | Very Good | 6-8-8-7-5 | 100% | 30 (1) | - | 7.06 |

| - | Wnt | Jamie O'Hara | M C | Very Good | 6-5-7-7-7 | 96% | 29 (3) | 1 | 7.00 |

| - | | Vidar Nisja | AM RC | Very Good | 6-6-7-7-6 | 94% | 33 (3) | 1 | 7.00 |

| - | Inj | Ramon Calliste | ST | Good | 8-6-7-8-6 | 82% | 38 (7) | 19 | 6.93 |

| - | Wnt | Hjálmar | F C | Very Good | 5-7-8-7-6 | 98% | 26 (7) | 14 | 6.91 |

| - | | Nuno Morais | D C, DM | Good | 6-6-8-6-7 | 96% | 16 (8) | 1 | 6.88 |

| - | Slt | David Pipe | D/AM R | Poor | 8-7-7-7-5 | 98% | 28 (1) | - | 6.86 |

| - | Bid | Joe Lewis | GK | Poor | 8-7-7-5-8 | 96% | 21 | - | 6.76 |

| - | Bid | Mark Yeates | AM RC, F C | Okay | 7-7-7-7-6 | 100% | 7 (10) | 1 | 6.76 |

| - | | Tim Sparv | DM, AM LC | Very Good | 7-6-7-7-6 | 96% | 17 (15)| 1 | 6.72 |

| - | | Christian Giuffrida | AM RL, ST | Okay | 7-6-7-7-5 | 98% | 10 (3) | - | 6.69 |

| - | | Sylvan Ebanks-Blake | ST | Very Good | 6-6-6-6-6 | 96% | 11 (12)| 4 | 6.65 |

| - | | Lee Barnard | ST | Very Good | 7-6-7-6-6 | 100% | 4 (2) | 1 | 6.33 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Season in Review

The end of season press conference seems a little bare compared to the previous promotion celebrating bashes. I go through the motions. Platitudes and cliches are all I can offer, in my mind I am still thinking over what we need to do.

We wasted a hot start really. Still picking up wins despite some rotten performances shouldn't disguise the fact that we flagged badly, even though a 6th placed finish looks pretty flash for a newly promoted side.

The player table is interesting. Some star performers, yet apart from Rezek, the strikers struggled. They are on notice for next season. They are in the team to get goals, that's all that is asked of them. Their training is geared solely to do that, and they simply have to produce. Or else. Ebanks battled injury all season, so he gets a bye-ball.

The defence was great to start with, and battled hard. Things definitely caught up with them later on in the year too. Vitale was solid, if a little impetuous. Ochoa looked very high class, and just a touch inexperienced, so I have no fears for him. Pipe isn't good enough, simple as that.

The midfield worked fine. Jenas was steady rather than spectacular, not what I was expecting for 2.9M. Cesnauskis was excellent, and really added something. Flamini is a bit of a problem. He has plenty of skill and all that, and was intermittently very effective. But he is a defensive midfielder, which isn't necessarily our style of player. I feel like we're having to build the entire team aound his style of play, which I don't like. Not sure what to do about that.

The biggest disappointment for me was Joe Lewis. He came with a big, and deserved, reputation. I was looking for another big season from him, and he just didn't deliver. Briland was outstanding, and he was supposed to be the developing back-up rather than the main man. I am in the market for a goalie now, which I shouldn't have been, and there's no question that's my fault. I sold Marton Fulop because I over-estimated Lewis. That was a mistake, and may have cost us promotion. I didn't really appreciate the massive impact Fulop had on the team until he had gone. Same goes for Mike Rigg.

Next season is a simple equation. Get more consistency. See if we can get some top class players in. That will be difficult, but at least we've got the money behind us. Maybe then we'll get promotion.

12th June There's very little action at the start of this month, but on this day I agree to sell our reserve team keeper Karl Dryden to Burnley. When I say sell, he actually goes for free, with a 40% sell on clause. I regret doing this because he was always a nice prospect. I rated him. The problem was he was 3rd on our depth chart and he wasn't getting any playing time. I just couldn't string him along for much longer. He deserves a 1st team chance. Doubtful if he ever would have got it here. It's just too difficult to blood a young keeper at higher levels.

14th July Jarno Parikka departs for Wycombe, for a fee of 70K. He was a flop really, though not in the same class of flop as Radim Kopecky. If I'm being totally honest, he didn't get much of a run in the side or much patience to develop, however he sealed his own fate by criticising me in the media.

18th July The clearout continues. Mark Yeates goes to Sunderland for 500K. I'm not saying I ripped them off. Let's just say I am very satisfied with the terms of the deal. The lad was a reasonable player, but not likely to develop much more than his current level. Under those circumstances, it was an easy decision to make.

20th July Rezek scoops our player of the year award, which was hardly a shock. The board offers up a transfer budget of 4.6M with 80K/week wages. That should suffice in the meantime I suppose.

A mighty profit of 2.2K for the month of July swells our bank balance.

1st July Iakovenko, Peltier, Brad Jones, and Zicu arrive, while Pettigrew, Dryden, Parikka and Yeates make their merry way round the motorways of England to pastures new.

3rd July After a bit of haggling, I sell Jamie O'Hara to Blackburn for 1.3M. I am shocked by the virulent reaction from the fans. They are absolutely furious with this move. I see the lad as a nice player, but no worldbeater. Time will tell if I'm right, and I generally am.

10th July Nisja signs a 2 year extension at 2.6K/week, that will keep him at the club till 2012.

11th July Norwich declare their interest in Brandao. I dismiss it with a predictably terse response.

12th July Tandy joins Blackpool for 150K, for much the same reasons as all the others did. They'd all hit the glass ceiling in my humble opinion.

13th July After much running about, we organise a pre-season friendly competition, the remarkably unexcitingly titled County Cup. Our close rivals Forest have agreed to star as the main attraction, to be joined by QPR and Airdrie. If this rather feeble line-up suggests to readers that we were rebuffed by a number of major clubs, then you would be absolutely correct.

On the same day, Brandao declares his love for the club, and says he has no intention of leaving. I also arrange a friendly with my hometown club Carrick Rangers in the Irish League.

Our hastily conceived friendly tournament begins the same evening as it was finalised, with a game against our greatest rivals.

Notts County vs Forest

Lewis, Peltier, Brandao, Ochoa, Vitale, Flamini, Jenas, Iakovenko, Ebanks, Rezek, Cesnauskis.

We start off like a house on fire, though they come back a bit later on. In the 2nd half, a goalkeeping error allows Rezek to tap in (60). We outshoot them 11-8 and give a decent performance. Yes it was that good a match. And really captured the imagination of the public, as you'll see from the attendance.

Notts County 1-0 Forest ATT: 843

Our opponents in the final are QPR, who disposed of the mighty Airdrie.

14th July Notts County vs QPR

I make a few personnel changes, nothing major. They are all over us to start with, and score after 11 minutes. Rezek responds after 20, latching onto a dreadful backpass. The visitors manage to take the lead again after 37. Giuffrida salvages the game with a powerful volley 6 minutes from time, and we win with the great drama of a penalty shoot-out. Our first trophy of the season!!! The packed house goes wild...

Notts County 2-2 QPR Notts County on PENS ATT: 1648

After the game, Nuno Morais completes a 300K move to Sunderland, who are fast becoming a rest home for our cast-offs. It was a financially motivated deal in every sense, removing his wage off a bill that has ballooned over the Summer.

17th July Former Northern Ireland international goalie Alan Fettis joins us as a goalkeeping coach. He was a quality keeper in his day, and his coaching profile looks very competent. Of course we have plenty in common, and it's great to have someone from home on the coaching staff. He's also tabbed as my new drinking partner.

19th July The time honoured pre-season injury curse strikes. Brandao will miss 2-4 weeks with a strained groin. Jenas has gone one better, tearing his groin, and will miss 1-3 months. That's a sickener, because he'd been shaping up very well in his new role on the right side of midfield.

24th July Gary Harkins leaves the club to join Bournemouth in a deal worth 240K plus 25% sell-on. Same reason as the others (see earlier).

25th July The friendly against Carrick Rangers was a useful exercise, an 8-1 win on 31 shots, goals spread throughout the team. A useful exercise for them too, with a gate of 4329 equal to about 10 times the attendance for a regular game at the club.

29th July We are 2nd favourites for promotion, 3-1 with the bookies. I am not bothered by that at all, I expect us to do well, and by that I mean better than last season.

31st July With impeccable timing, Jan Rezek demands a better contract, claiming he might need to leave if he doesn't get one. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, and he's a real leader at the club. At this point however, the answer is no. We're way over budget already. If he doesn't like it, he can go with our best wishes, for a very large fee. In the event, he backs down, but I feel I may be hearing more about this come January.

This month's profit is more like our usual standard: 1.34M. Now it's down to the serious games. Then on the eve of the season, Robert Pires is offered the job at Sheffield United, ironically our first opponents of the season. Me and him never really hit it off that well, and when I encourage him to take it, it's partly through my own selfishness. It hasn't worked out that great with him as assistant manager I don't think, and I want to replace him. Him getting offered that job is a gift to me. Let's hope he takes it.

hi i've only just started readign this story tonight(12th may) but must say its a fantastic read, im one of the few hundred season tickt holders at meadow lane and dream about this happening in real life!!! just to say i hope you can make the premiership as the infrastructure is definitely there for it to happen both in the game and real life just please stick with the mighty magpies till you get promoted!!!

Thanks a million glynnbob:-) Like I said in the story somewhere, this is potentially one of the biggest clubs in the country, with Nottingham being a major English city.

I have a pretty big update coming which is very up and down stuff. I am staying here for now, because I think the job won't be complete until we get to the Premiership. I think we've got the players, let's see if we can make it!

i've just gotin from work mate and read your reply. i must be honest and say that normally i go with leicester city on fm as i'ts a bit easier than notts! but after a weekend of delibeation im going to start a new game tongiht to see if i can match you! any ideas where to start? i too was thinking of a 4-4-2 formation with pipey automatic choice he's the best player at notts imo.also any loan signings you'd reccomend straight away any help much appreciated mate.

Well I always play 4-4-2, slightly attacking. Things have developed over time. When I take the lead away from home now, I go defensive/counter attack. Same applies when I go up 2 goals in any game.

My training is very specific. Defenders work on strength and aerobic, defending, tactics etc. Strikers work overwhelmingly on shooting, all they are required to do by me is put the ball in the net. I leave midfielders on general, defensive midfielders on the defenders training.

Signing players is all about who you can get. I just look to get the best player I possibly can, regardless of position even if I am covered at that position. In lower divisions, when selling, I multiply the player's listed price by 10 and ask for that. If nobody's interested I work down from there.

Look to Premiership reserve teams for signings. I have signed gem after gem from there, especially Man U Chelsea etc. Sell on your relative nobodys and replace them with these type of players, often for free or very favourable terms. This helps you build up a war chest for when really good players become available.

Hope that all helps. Good luck!

1st August Scott Morrison leaves the club to join Brentford for 200K. This represents decent value for the club, on a player I signed for the princely sum of 1K. His contract was up at the end of the season, and his career had fallen away a touch.

Sheffield United vs Notts County

Lewis, Peltier, Lloyd, Ochoa, Vitale, Flamini, Nisja, Iakovenko, Ebanks, Rezek, Cesnauskis.

A very poor game this one right from the start, both sides looking like they have just arrived back for pre-season training. A turgid 1st half is punctuated only by them taking the lead (19), then extending it on 33 minutes. I get very annoyed at half-time, and we begin pounding their lines, repelled time after time by Paddy Kenny in the Blades goal. Nisja finally heads in a cross on 75 minutes. That's as near as we get, a defeat that owes everything to the performance of their keeper. Some people might find that a consolation. I don't.

Sheffield United 2-1 Notts County ATT: 25608

Consolation arrives in the shape of Pires announcing that he will be the Blades new manager. It occurs to me that this is one of the other jobs that I have turned down during my time in charge here, which adds a little piquancy to his departure. Dennis Bergkamp is immediately promoted to assistant manager. We get on well, he's my type of guy, and I have no doubts at all about this appointment.

4th August Notts County vs Leicester

We've had some truly awful battles with this lot over the years, and I have come to expect nothing else. We're unchanged, more through injuries than anything else. Nisja scores again, opening our account with a wickedly deflected free kick 3 minutes in, a lead which lasts only 10 minutes. The visitors then start to completely manhandle us on our own turf, which is embarrassing, and I go spare again at half time. The result is a much better 2nd half, culminating in Nisja sneaking in to head home a back post cross, and Calliste profiting from a woeful backpass (84), to give us a barely deserved 3-1 win. Nice to get one over on Leicester. They always seem to be a pain in the arse, and have had their share of barely deserved wins against us over the years.

Notts County 3-1 Leicester ATT: 16249

5th August We beef up the medical team, signing physios Clive Goodyear from Chester, and Jason Atkinson from Wigan. Both are an improvement on what we've got. I remember years ago I tried to sign these same guys, but balked at the 40K compensation I would have had to pay. Now that seems like such small potatoes.

8th August Birmingham vs Notts County

This starts out evens, until Nisja gets selfishly sent off in the 22nd minute. We dig in to the trenches, expecting to get nobbled eventually. Yet by some miracle, we hang on for the remaining 68 minutes. In fact, we didn't even need any miracles. The home side were pretty pathetic, and I reckon if we'd had 11 men on the pitch the whole game, we'd have won with something to spare.

Birmingham 0-0 Notts County ATT: 29199

Ochoa and Peltier both fall victim to injury after the game, for a period of up to 2 weeks.

10th August That's slightly offset by the return of Brandao who I think has been badly missed by the defence. He's one of those unobtrusive quality players, who you only seem to notice when he's not there.

12th August Kelvin Wilson DRC (remember him?!) left us in my first season I think in charge, for what was then a huge fee of about 650K. He ended up at Bolton, criminally under-used, and I am delighted to announce that he is rejoining us for a fee of 550K. He tells the media he jumped at the chance to come back here (more of a statement about the club than me I suspect), and I am now convinced he is ready to excel after maturing in the reserves of a Premiership club. He turned down a host of other teams to be here, and as a wise man once said, "one volunteer is worth ten conscripts".

15th August Doncaster vs Notts County

Wilson plays DR, Brandao DC, and Giuffrida MR. And the Italian forward gives us a great start, tapping in a cross after 8 minutes. Iakovenko finally shows what all the fuss was about after 26 minutes, blasting in a 25 yard free kick. The home side score immediately, then in 1st half injury time, Rezek runs on to a defence-splitting pass to open his account for the season. I go defensive, and after the hosts have a man sent off with 20 minutes left, we coast home to an easy 3 points. Nice performance.

Doncaster 1-3 Notts County ATT: 9895

Victory exacts a price. Ebanks will miss a week or two with a sprained wrist, while a sprained ankle will put David Pipe on the sidelines for 1-2 months.

19th August Burnley vs Notts County LG CUP RD 1

The reserves are all in for this one, and have an absolute shocker. Our League One hosts are all over us and thoroughly embarrass us, and despite their atrocious finishing, they tally in the 13th, 31st, and 89th minutes. It could have been a lot worse, and I am absolutely furious at the end, effing and blinding and putting on a right performance. Not that I particularly give a hoot about the League Cup, but that's not the point.

Burnley 3-0 Notts County ATT: 7158

22nd August Derby vs Notts County

This one's televised. With our regulars back in, we manage a bright start, culminating in a quite brilliant individual effort from Rezek on 26, a mazy run and unstoppable shot. I go defensive, yet the home side proceed to score with their 1st and 2nd kicks of the game (32 and 40 minutes), leaving me just as bewildered as I am angry. It's even more infuriating, because they do absolutely nothing for the rest of the game either. Unfortunately, neither do we, yet still we are well and truly robbed of a point at least in this one.

Derby 2-1 Notts County ATT: 33651

24th August Notts County vs Oldham

Unchanged through necessity, we huff and puff throughout the entire games, without creating that much. When the chances are eked out, the finishing is rotten. While the visitors never offered to win the game, we never looked like doing it either. This is an extrememly worrying trend. That's several sh***y performances in a row. Even in the games we were winning there was something amiss. That's enough. I won't tolerate this. With no more games in the month I can concentrate on bringing in new faces before the deadline.

Notts County 0-0 Oldham ATT: 5494

Before the new signings must come the clear-out. With tremendous upward pressure on the wage bill, more people have to go. Many of them I would prefer to keep, but I've already parted with a number of players in pre-season that I didn't really want to.

Lee Barnard is farmed out to Colchester for 95K with a 40% sell-on clause. His 3.5K a week wages can no longer be afforded for a guy who is about 6th on the depth chart for strikers. Colchester fans are over the moon, and the media speculates that I have been robbed by them. At least I have the protection of a hefty sell-on clause.

Lee Peltier is bombed out to Sheffield Wednesday for 110K plus 25% sell-on. He didn't pan out, simple as that, and I don't feel like I have time to wait right now. 4.4K/week off the wage bill.

I arrange for Saritama to join Reading for 500K, only for the deal to fall through when they can't afford the fee. Maybe that was meant to be and I take him off the market. I am still determined to spend our way out of trouble. To paraphrase George W Bush (though I'm certainly not a fan), "I've built up a lot of capital, now I'm going to spend it".

25th August I tie up the signing of Liverpool's Spanish U-21 DR Juan Antonio Barragan for 1.8M on a 5K/week contract. This is a hefty deal for a young player, yet my scouts were in no doubt at all about him, and the way in which the Reds insisted on squeezing every penny for him makes me think they rated him just as highly.

30th August With time fast running out, I sign Italian U-21 striker Alberto Lupoli from Arsenal for 2.7M. This was something of a desperation signing. I wanted him on loan initially, but the Gunners were adamant - a sale at this price or no deal.

This is a huge gamble, because the transfer budget is now more or less exhausted. The whole thing came about due to a fiasco with Wigan over Dave Nugent. I was under the impression that I had agreed a 2.4M fee with them, only for the dirty bas***ds to up their demands again to 3M. I called their manager all sorts of names, and pulled the plug.

All these moves smack of panic I suppose, yet I am sure this all needs to be done. We are not up to the job as presently constituted, I can't put my finger on why, only that some changes have to be made. We'll see if it works out.

The month ends with a 3.7M loss, and a rather ticklish and uncertain future for a team touted as promotion favourites at the start of the season. Looking at our start it may seem that we have done all right. Yet it's nowhere near our expectations.

| 1st | | Fulham | | 6 | 4 | 2 | 0 | 8 | 3 | +5 | 14 |

| 2nd | | Nottm Forest | | 6 | 4 | 1 | 1 | 14 | 8 | +6 | 13 |

| 3rd | | Derby | | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 14 | 8 | +6 | 11 |

| 4th | | Birmingham | | 6 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 10 | 6 | +4 | 10 |

| 5th | | Everton | | 6 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 8 | 5 | +3 | 10 |

| 6th | | Sheff Utd | | 6 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 13 | 11 | +2 | 10 |

| 7th | | Plymouth | | 6 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 9 | 7 | +2 | 10 |

| 8th | | Ipswich | | 6 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 8 | 8 | 0 | 10 |

| 9th | | Stoke | | 6 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 6 | 5 | +1 | 9 |

| 10th | | Brighton | | 6 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 11 | 12 | -1 | 9 |

| 11th | | Barnsley | | 6 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 9 | 6 | +3 | 8 |

| 12th | | Notts Co | | 6 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 8 | 6 | +2 | 8 |

| 13th | | Sunderland | | 6 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 6 | 6 | 0 | 8 |

| 14th | | Reading | | 6 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 5 | 6 | -1 | 8 |

| 15th | | Leicester | | 6 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 7 | 9 | -2 | 8 |

| 16th | | Crystal Palace | | 6 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 4 | 7 | -3 | 8 |

| 17th | | Hull | | 6 | 1 | 4 | 1 | 9 | 9 | 0 | 7 |

| 18th | | Southampton | | 6 | 1 | 3 | 2 | 4 | 5 | -1 | 6 |

| 19th | | Doncaster | | 6 | 2 | 0 | 4 | 11 | 14 | -3 | 6 |

| 20th | | Oldham | | 6 | 0 | 5 | 1 | 5 | 7 | -2 | 5 |

| 21st | | Coventry | | 6 | 0 | 3 | 3 | 9 | 14 | -5 | 3 |

| 22nd | | Wolves | | 6 | 0 | 3 | 3 | 6 | 11 | -5 | 3 |

| 23rd | | Bristol City | | 6 | 0 | 3 | 3 | 5 | 10 | -5 | 3 |

| 24th | | Bradford City | | 6 | 0 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 10 | -6 | 3 |

Archived