Revenge in Nottingham

irishregan

WSM 2006 English, Scottish, Northern Irish Leagues in full detail.

I wanted to call this story "Revenge is a dish best served in Nottingham" to paraphrase the old Klingon proverb (no I'm not a trekkie), but it wouldn't fit very well on one line, so "Revenge in Nottingham" it is.

After my stormy 18 months in charge of Nottingham Forest (see Forest of Mediocrity), during which I had more fights with the board than John Wayne had with Indians, I was still seething at my dismissal from the club I loved.

At first, I considered going back to my hometown team, Carrick Rangers in the Irish League. But with no money, and a list of players with ability ratings in single figures, that seemed a step too far.

So like a jilted lover, flauting new found happiness under the nose of his former belle, I decided to take up the reins at Notts County. If Forest didn't want me to make them the biggest club in the Midlands again, then I'd work the oracle for Notts County.

I'd never been inside Meadow Lane, though I'd walked round the outside of the place once, when I was at Trent Bridge for an England Test Match. The relative luxury of the stadium was one of the attractions, a 20,000 seater in League Two was hardly the norm. I guess I had gone from the biggest club in League One (Forest) to the biggest in League Two.

I knew I'd made a sound decision as soon as I took over. The atmosphere was far less jumpy and anal than it had been at Forest. Here was a club in the doldrums that had accepted it was in the doldrums. A safe mid table finish was all the chairman asked me for. I was sure I could deliver that.

I was nervous about my well-known Forest connections of course. The media tried to make a big deal out of it, but I tried to do a Jose Mourinho, joking that "you can still be in love with your ex-wife and get maried again". I hoped that would be the end of it, and the fans received me well, possibly seeing me as an underdog who had been treated despicably by Forest. And anyway, it was hardly Rangers and Celtic, though I knew if I made a pig's ear out of it I'd be hearing comments to the effect of "he's one of that lot up the road, what do you expect?"

With all the holding up the scarf for the cameras bulls**t out of the way, it was time for business. I had to start earning my 600 quid a week, and earning a long extension to that if I could. It was meet the players and staff time.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WSM 2006 English, Scottish, Northern Irish Leagues in full detail.

I wanted to call this story "Revenge is a dish best served in Nottingham" to paraphrase the old Klingon proverb (no I'm not a trekkie), but it wouldn't fit very well on one line, so "Revenge in Nottingham" it is.

After my stormy 18 months in charge of Nottingham Forest (see Forest of Mediocrity), during which I had more fights with the board than John Wayne had with Indians, I was still seething at my dismissal from the club I loved.

At first, I considered going back to my hometown team, Carrick Rangers in the Irish League. But with no money, and a list of players with ability ratings in single figures, that seemed a step too far.

So like a jilted lover, flauting new found happiness under the nose of his former belle, I decided to take up the reins at Notts County. If Forest didn't want me to make them the biggest club in the Midlands again, then I'd work the oracle for Notts County.

I'd never been inside Meadow Lane, though I'd walked round the outside of the place once, when I was at Trent Bridge for an England Test Match. The relative luxury of the stadium was one of the attractions, a 20,000 seater in League Two was hardly the norm. I guess I had gone from the biggest club in League One (Forest) to the biggest in League Two.

I knew I'd made a sound decision as soon as I took over. The atmosphere was far less jumpy and anal than it had been at Forest. Here was a club in the doldrums that had accepted it was in the doldrums. A safe mid table finish was all the chairman asked me for. I was sure I could deliver that.

I was nervous about my well-known Forest connections of course. The media tried to make a big deal out of it, but I tried to do a Jose Mourinho, joking that "you can still be in love with your ex-wife and get maried again". I hoped that would be the end of it, and the fans received me well, possibly seeing me as an underdog who had been treated despicably by Forest. And anyway, it was hardly Rangers and Celtic, though I knew if I made a pig's ear out of it I'd be hearing comments to the effect of "he's one of that lot up the road, what do you expect?"

With all the holding up the scarf for the cameras bulls**t out of the way, it was time for business. I had to start earning my 600 quid a week, and earning a long extension to that if I could. It was meet the players and staff time.

Shaun Marshall GK An ordinary looking back-up. Competent in case of injury to...

Kevin Pilkington Yet another of that Giggs/Beckham Man Utd youth team era that drifted downwards. Still handy though, and will be a solid number one man.

Brian O'Callaghan DRC A 24 year-old aggressive Irish defender. Has a chance.

Kelvin Wilson DRC Apparently our best player, a composed defender, just 19.

Rob Ullathorne DL Very familiar face from the excellent Norwich team of the early 90s. Now 33, he will provide vital experience from a much higher level.

Mike Whitlow DLC 37 year old defensive hardman, also a coach. Always liked him at Leicester, could play a little.

Dan Martin DLC/DM Free transfer from Derby, this 18 year old Welshman looks good.

Julien Baudet DC/DM The 26 year old started at Tolouse and arrived at Meadow Lane via Oldham and Rotherham.

Mike Edwards D/M/C Another useful looking utility man.

David Pipe D/AMR Equally at home in defence or midfield, the 21 year old Taffy is very much in my plans. Good ratings in flair, fitness and determination.

Chris Palmer WB/M/L Looks like a useful squad player.

Matthew Gill DMC One of the weaker members of the squad.

Lewis McMahon MC This 20 year old up and down midfielder looks a handy prospect.

Stacy Long MC Virtually a carbon copy of McMahon.

Jake Sheridan AMRL Not overly impressed by this guy. Could be on his way.

Tony Scully AML This 29 year old former QPR winger has lots of experience, and may have a significant part to play.

Matty Williams FC Unimpressive young forward. Borderline professional player.

Gavin Gordon ST This 26 year old striker has made stops in Cardiff, Oxford and Lincoln, and not scored goals in any of them. No sort of answer in the long term.

Glynn Hurst ST Now 29, the former Wolves man still has a chance to forge a good career as a lower league goal scorer.

Andy White ST Not prepared to write this youngster off yet, though his goalscoring record is similar to Gavin Gordon's.

There are three total stiffs in the reserves, and my assistant warns me that the squad is not big enough to deal with major injuries. I can see that for myself, and this is something that will be addressed.

Oddly enough, the entire teams' contracts expire at the end of the season. That gives me plenty of flexibility.

The coaching staff wasn't really an issue. They were retained en bloc, because they were too expensive to get rid of, and it wasn't as if Carlos Quieroz was about to offer to be my assistant. That would be Ross MacLaren, a competent lower league man.

13th July I shore up the squad by signing the highly rated young Chelsea winger Felipe Morais. He is the highest valued player willing to come on loan to us, so I pluck him for the season.

With all my useless friendlies cancelled, we await the visit of West Ham

22nd July Notts County vs West Ham

In consultation with Ross, I pick my first team:

Pilkington Pipe Ullathorne Wilson Martin Morais Palmer McMahon Long Gordon Hurst

We go with my usual style, 4-4-2 short passing hard tackling attacking. And the lads respond very well, looking good and holding the Hammers till the 61st minute. A 1-0 loss, but very encouraging

Notts County 0-1 West Ham ATT: 9120

28th July I sign American striker Kenny Cooper on a season long loan from Man Utd. He has to be better than what we've got.

29th July Julian Baudet has torn his groin, and won't be available for 1-3 months.

July ends with a handy profit of 79k. Our transfer budget remains at 6.5k for the season. I'm ok with that, I understand I'm not going to have money to spend for the foreseeable future.

• Administrators

Have you created yourself again and taken over County in the SAME Save Game as your forest game, or is this starting again from the beginning?

Either way good luck once again mate! And if it IS the same Save Game, get promoted and hammer 'em!

hi nbrocky, no I decided to start from scratch, I thought re-creating myself was cheating a bit, I am just taking my Forest grudge with me into this game! I fully intend to take over from Forest as the biggest club in Nottingham, then start a different game and do Forest again in the future.

Hey Berrers, Cooper has been all right for me so far, though he's injured at the minute. I signed another striker on loan (update to come) and they are lethal together. Though you're right Cooper misses a few, but not quite in the Andy Cole league

Hi all, will be updating over the course of the day, here's August.

3rd August Tottenham striker Lee Barnard joins us on loan for the season. He looks well useful, although he is unwanted by them. If I had the money I would have signed him straight up.

In other news, the bookies make us a 40-1 shot for the Championship. Not the worst punt ever. We are actually considered relegation candidates, and while we don't expect to win the title, we certainly don't expect to get relegated.

6th August Notts County vs Cheltenham

We select Pilkington Pipe Ullathorne Wilson Martin Morais Palmer Long McMahon Barnard Cooper

It stars out even, then Palmer picks out a great cross for McMahon to score on 51. An identical move, this time with Barnard on the end, gives us a 2-0 cushion in the 66th. A handy performance first-up.

Notts County 2-0 Cheltenham ATT: 5048

Not surprisingly, I tell the lads I want them to play like this every week.

9th August Kelvin Wilson signs a new 3 year deal at900 per week.Pipe signs for the same term at 900. Pilkington gets a two year extension at 900 and Dan Martin signs for three at 625 quid.

10th August Chester vs Notts County

We don't get a sniff up till half-time, and they go in leading by one. I tell the lads they're clueless. Our 2nd half fightback culminates in a 2nd half sub Glynn Hurst finding an 87th minute equaliser, which we fully deserved. Morais was excellent right through.

Chester 1-1 Notts County ATT: 2488

For what it's worth, we're in 7th place after two games.

13th August Notts County vs Rushden

Kenny Cooper gives us a good start in the 20th minute, tapping in after Barnard hit the post. Cooper returns the favour for his strike partner on 32. A Rushden goal in the 60th minute makes us sweat to hang on, but hang on we do.

Notts County 2-1 Rushden ATT: 5040

We're now 4th, with 7 points from 3 games.

20th August Barnet vs Notts County

Our again unchanged team is killed in the 1st half, lucky to go in only 1-0 down. Not a single shot for us. Barnard heads in straight after the interval, scores again on 70 minutes. Then following a Barnet equaliser he misses an 81st minute penalty, before they get all three points with a last gasp winner.

Barnet 3-2 Notts County ATT: 2481

During the week, I bring in some bodies. Northern Ireland U-19 midfielder Darryl Smilie arrives for free from Man City

along with AML James Tandy, also a freebie. Right full-back Dean Smith joins for nothing from Chelsea's youth team. And Chris Cottrill another central midfielder joins up from Birmingham. They're all good youngsters, unwanted by their clubs, so they can come here and flesh out my squad.

23rd August Notts County vs Bristol City

The second string players and new signings fight hard in this League Cup game, but we go down 3-2. Not bad against a team a division up.

Notts County 2-3 Bristol City ATT:5351

I transfer list Matty Williams and Andy White. A host of clubs make offers.

27th August Notts County vs Boston

The regulars are all back for the visit of 3rd placed Boston, with Cottrill retained in midfield. Morais puts us up 1-0 up with a great free kick after 32, then Hurst trumps their second half equaliser with a 77th minute winner.

Notts County 2-1 Boston ATT: 4997

We're 5th, with 10 points from 5 games.

On the Sunday, we sell White to Carlisle for 16K and receive 30k from a sell-on clause involving a player we sold a while back, which is nice.

29th August Macclesfield vs Notts County

We're all over them in the first 15, and a deflected shot rebounds to Barnard who fires in the opener (24). A Pilkington balls-up gifts them an equaliser 7 minutes later, before Barnard restores our lead with the last kick of the first half. we have 14 shots to their 4. On the hour, the Tottenham man completes his hat-trick. Then we are undeservedly made to sweat again after another goal from them, but in a game where we had 25 shots, we deservedly win.

Macclesfield 2-3 Notts County ATT: 3617

The board are impressed with that performance, but Matty Williams isnt, when I farm him out to Hinckley for 8k later that evening. Reserve team hit man Steve Scoffham is promoted to play with the big boys.

I have a busy weekend, signing D/M/C Lee Grant from Villa on a three month loan. Gary Harkins a talented midfielder from Chilly Jocko Land joins for 10K plus 25% sell-on from Blackburn That seems a fair deal, and I am happy just to sign him.

30th August Chris Palmer signs a 2 year extension at 400 a week, with Matthew Gill doing likewise for 600 sheets.

The board are encouraged by my start as manager, and even more so by the 118k profit for the month. Say what you like about my management style, but I always deliver the cash. I just wish I got the opportunity to spend it now and then...

3rd September Notts County vs Rochdale

Pipe and Morais are on international duty, Smith and Sheridan in. Harkins makes his debut in centre midfield.

This is the worst performance since I took charge. We're outshot 14-4, which is simply embarrassing at home. Harkins was poor on his debut, and Gill is out 2-4 weeks after he did a groin.

Notts County 0-2 Rochdale ATT: 7249

We are 3rd with 13 points from 7 games.

10th September Notts County vs Stockport

Stockport are struggling in 21st, but we are ravaged by injuries. Gill goes to left back for the injured Ullathorne Edwards plays at centre back. Lee Grant debuts as a defensive midfielder, and while Morais is back, Pipe returned from his international game injured.

Despite this, we dominate, but need a late penalty from Barnard to win 1-0. They never threatened but threatened to hang on for a draw. Under the circumstances, a good result.

Notts County 1-0 Stockport ATT: 6654

We're 2nd with 16 points from 8 games.

14th September Signed Adam Green D/WB/L from Fulham on a 3 month loan. He looks very handy. Kenny Cooper has returned from his thigh injury, and is a certain starter if he's fit (I may have forgotten to mention he missed the last couple of games). Pipe is also available again too.

17th September Orient vs Notts County

They are riding high in 4th, and with all the good chances, eventually score shortly before half-time, doubling their lead in the 56th. Hurst responds almost immediately, but a defensive blunder late on gives them a 3-1 lead. An icing on the cake goal in the dying minutes leaves us thoroughly thrashed and totally humiliated.

Orient 4-1 Notts County ATT: 5074

An unnamed County player reports my anger to the press afterwards, and as they say in politics "I can neither confirm nor deny that."

We're 5th, 16 points from 9.

24th September Carlisle vs Notts County

Cooper returns for Hurst. Lee Grant gives us the perfect start, powerfully heading in a 1st minute corner. They are all over us till half time, but we stand firm. Then Pipe gets sent off with nearly half an hour left. We circle the wagons, going defensive, then ultra defensive, and very professionally strangle the life out of the game.

Carlisle 0-1 Notts County ATT: 3245

The top 4 are all level on points, with us in 4th.

Pipe's sending off earns him a one game suspension, and a one week fine from me.

27th September Notts County vs Lincoln

I once lived in Lincoln (been round the block a few times even though I'm only 30ish) and spent the odd Saturday at Sincil Bank. No sentiment here though.

Dean Smith is in for the suspended Pipe Halfway through the first half, Barnard caps a nice move, heading in from Palmer's cross. They equalise with ten minutes left in the half, and that's your lot. A rotten game, and despite the draw, I tell the team they were embarrassing, which doesn't go down very well with the lads. Too bad. New signing Adam Green got a 4, so I don't think even he was expecting a pat on the back.

Notts County 1-1 Lincoln ATT: 6786

September disappears into the rear view mirror with our league standing boosted to 3rd, 20 points from 11 games. The board receive a profit of 107K, which I'm sure they will eagerly re-invest in new players...

1st October Mansfield vs Notts County

Pipe returns for this local-ish derby. An even, rotten 1st half. In the 89th minute Barnard latches on to a goal kick, chips it over Kevin Pressman and in off the post from 25 yards. We survive an awful defensive error for an apparently deserved win, in a quite dreadful game.

Mansfield 0-1 Notts County ATT: 4689

8th October Notts County vs Wrexham

Pipe and Morais bugger off on international duty again! Smith and Sheridan in again, with Hurst deputising for the oft injured Cooper, who seems to have something wrong with his thighs.

In another awful 1st half, we hit the bar, and I feel like hitting the bar. Instead, I give the team a rocket. It has little effect; despite getting a man sent off we can't score. Then a minute from timeAdam Green flukes in an attempted cross, and we get the 3 points. Lovely.

Notts County 1-0 Wrexham ATT: 7531

As we ascend to 1st place with 26 points from 13 games, the media start dubbing us a "surprise package". Not really. It's not as if there's many good teams or players in this division, judging by the rubbish I've watched so far.

15th October Northampton vs Notts County

Pipe and Morais are back in. We knew this would be tough, against a 3rd placed team tipped for promotion. A poor goal defensively inside the first 5 is followed by a long range shot 20 minutes later to make it 2. We're getting killed out there and I tell the team they're clueless. The 2nd half improves a little but a dreadful error by Morais gives them a 3 goal win they were full value for.

Northampton 3-0 Notts County ATT: 5263

We drop to second, with 26 from 14.

18th October Notts County vs Woking LDV

Every possible reserve is in for this one. Steve Scoffham gives us a seemingly comfortable lead, until an embarrasing collapse in the last 12 minutes sends us crashing out. Having said that, I'm not exactly devastated.

Notts County 1-2 Woking ATT: 2028

22nd October Shrewsbury vs Notts County

The first team are back out for this visit to the basement dwellers, but we go behind 12 minutes in. We equalise before half time with an own goal, then Cooper bulges the net with a terrific solo goal, a great run and rasping shot. I tell the lads not to get complacent, but 10 minutes from time, the Shrews score to draw a game we should have won.

Shrewsbury 2-2 Notts County ATT: 3444

We slip to 3rd, with 27 from 15.

25th October I transfer list the recovered Julien Baudet and offer him to clubs. Scunthorpe are straight in, and he is gone by the time our next match rolls around for 18k.

29th October Notts County vs Peterborough

Scully is in for the suspended Palmer Cooper opens our account in the 8th minute. Just 2 minutes later, a nice move has the Posh defence in disarray, and Harkins slots into an empty net. A long cross finds their keeper out of position again, and Barnard heads in (26). Then a fantastic team move, and clinical finish from the same man gives us a 4-0 start with 10 minutes left in the half. On the hour they pull one back, butCooper finishes another great move on 67, then gets a standing ovation when I sub him. Posh get a late "consolation" goal (what a stupid phrase, as if they're saying "well we got hammered but at least we got that late goal which really consoled us!"). I tell the lads they were sensational, and that's no bulls**t. They were.

Notts County 5-2 Peterborough ATT: 7572

30 points from 16 games is enough to propel us back to 1st. The board are delighted, I'm delighted, everybody's delighted! (except Peterborough). A profit of 52k for the month is further cause for...delight!

3rd November I manage to offload striker Gavin Gordon to Chester for 10k. Not much to say about that.

5th November Notts County vs Canvey Island FA CUP RD 1

After a poor start by both sides, Morais crosses for Cooper to slot home after 23. The Londoners equalise after 47, which most certainly wasn't in the script, but Barnard restores order with a great strike just after the stroke of the hour, then we lock it down with a 12 yard shot from Harkins ten minutes later. We made heavy weather of it, though we were never in danger of losing.

Notts County 3-1 Canvey Island ATT: 6160

8th November. More offloads. Lewis McMahon is shipped to Rochdale for 20k. Stacy Long goes to Scunthorpe for 18k, and Chester pay 14K for Scully. No particular reason for dumping them, other than it would get me some transfer dough, and they were far from assured of new deals at the end of the season.

12th November Notts County vs Grimsby

Cooper and Morais are on international duty, which has proved a recipe for disaster, and sure enough, a 12th minute gaffe by Wilson allows them to open the scoring. Pilkington saves a 22nd minute penalty, but they make it 2 ten minutes before the interval. Hurst gives us hope 2 minutes before the break, then on 52 minutes, Barnard levels the contest with a fabulous cross shot. A late goal for us is disallowed, and we have to be content with a draw. A fine fightback though.

Notts County 2-2 Grimsby ATT: 7440

We're still top, 31 points from 17.

I decide to do the next report in the style of Donovan Robertson, as a tribue to the great anti-racism and stalking campaigner, and because I was seriosuly ****ed off with the result.

Bury win 2-1 dead angry.

26th November Notts County vs Torquay

Morais and Cooper return, and from a Cooper rebound Barnard taps us in front. Torquay equalise (18). Barnard trumps this with his second (43), but they reply with a fluke equaliser 5 minutes after half-time. Barnard (who else?!) completes a magical hat-trick on 54, but they equalise immediately. The magician will not be denied however, as Barnard heads home a sweet cross for his 4th! We survive 20 minutes after the sending off of Morais to win the game. The Tottenham starlet striker just would not be denied!

Notts County 4-3 Torquay ATT: 7095

We consolidate atop the league, with 34 points from 19.

28th November I engineer the sale of Kelvin Wilson to Plymouth for 650k. I reckon he's a bit over-rated, and when they match a figure I pluck out of thin air, I grab the cash for my transfer kitty (well, 200k of it anyway).

Even without this windfall, the club reaps in a profit of 98k to finish November.

3rd December Oldham vs Notts County FA Cup RD 2

Sheridan comes in for the suspended Morais, and Edwards for Martin. Oldham take the lead after 11 minutes, but Cooper hits them on the break in the 40th. They strike back almost immediately, then go 3-1 up 2 minutes after half-time. A poor performance by us, and a comfortable win for them. A 3rd Round tie away to Man Utd would have been lovely, but it's not to be.

Oldham 3-1 Notts County ATT: 4402

6th December Wycombe vs Notts County

Morais returns to the team. A penetrating cross from Green is headed in by Barnard for his 20th of the season after just 5 minutes. David Pipe doubles our lead from the penalty spot after half an hour. Then with a Wycombe player dismissed for a professional foul soon after, we see out the game and collect the 3 points as worthy winners.

Wycombe 0-2 Notts County ATT: 3542

We're heading the table, 37 points from 20.

10th December Notts County vs Darlington

It looks like they've got about 14 players on the pitch as they maul us in the first half. Then a wretched mistake by their goalkeeper allows Cooper to give us the lead (36). I am not confident we'll hold on so I go defensive, and we hold on for a somewhat fortuitous win. Despite the result, I tell the lads they were awful. Still we're top, with 40 from 21 games.

Notts County 1-0 Darlington ATT: 7864

13th December Adam Green returns to Fulham after his loan. He was all right, but didn't pull up any trees.

17th Oxford vs Notts County

Dan Martin replaces the departed Green at left back. In an even worse performance than last game, we lose very easily to the 7th placed side, if only by a goal. We slip to 3rd. Slightly worrying performance.

Oxford 1-0 Notts County ATT: 5908

26th December Cheltenham vs Notts County

Ah the Boxing Day fixture! The lads have been safely locked away over Christmas, while I have been lying face down in a gutter all Christmas week. Mike Whitlow comes in for the injured Edwards. The lads are under severe pressure first half. They get a rocket from me, but it doesn't stop us going behind (58). Then the home side get a man sent off, I go all out attack, but we lose again, to another crap performance. I do the hair dryer again at full time, just to make me feel better. This team is way off form. Still 3rd, with 40 points from 23.

Cheltenham 1-0 Notts County ATT: 4867

28th December Notts County vs Chester

Martin is back at centre defence, while fit-again Ullathorne resumes at left back. Chester lead after 5 minutes, but a great Morais cross allows Gill to head home a 21st minute leveller. Barnard, played through by Cooper, gives us the lead (61), but then gets sent off for diving (88). I go very defensive, and we hang on for a worthy win.

Notts County 2-1 Chester ATT: 6614

We're still in 3rd, with 43 points from 24. The club makes a profit of 81k for the month of December.

It's a happy New Year, as my unwanted players hit the road (see earlier transactions) The Kelvin Wilson cash certainly gives me a serviceable, if unspectacular transfer budget, and the greatly reduced wage bill should make us extremely profitable. The club is currently 1 million in the black.

I think I've done quite enough to merit a new contract. Vexed that an offer is not forthcoming, I make a proposal to the board which is roundly rejected. Hmm. Not such a happy New Year for me then.

My only other act before the next game is to promote young Irish DC Emmet Friars from the reserve to senior squad.

2nd January Rushden vs Notts County

Friars goes straight in and Hurst replaces the suspended Barnard.

After a game of head tennis, the aforementioned Hurst races through to score (20). They equalise on 37, and despite relative domination from us, that's the way it stays. We remain in third.

Rushden 1-1 Notts County ATT: 4262

4th January Notts County vs Bristol Rovers

Chris Palmer is unfit, so James Tandy deputises. The West Country men score early, but Harkins levels from a Barnard rebound (32). Six minutes later Barnard squares for Cooper to give us the lead. We press, and Barnard seals the deal in the 87th. Three points that our recent play has fully merited.

Notts County 3-1 Bristol City ATT: 7480

We're back atop the league! 47 points from 26 games.

6th December I sign promising creative midfielder Jamie O'Hara from Tottenham on a Bosman. We'll see how he goes next season.

7th January Notts County vs Barnet

Palmer is back in. A rotten 1st half ensues, and I get irritable in the changing room. It doesn't help, and the game yawns its way to a draw.

Notts County 0-0 Barnet ATT: 7528

It costs us 1st place. Thanks f**k we get a week off now to rest and recuperate.

9th January Young Chelsea centre back Adrian Pettigrew becomes my second Bosman signing to look forward to for next season.

14th January Boston vs Notts County

Hurst is in for Cooper. A Harkins bullet header from a corner puts us in front after 9 minutes. Boston equalise on 20, then take the lead (36). A 51st minute penalty seals our fate. A poor result and performance. We're still second though.

Boston 3-1 Notts County ATT: 6314

Will finsih this month later as we're all being sent home from work early!! ha ha

21st January Notts County vs Macclesfield

Smylie is in for the suspended Harkins and Cooper for Hurst. A dire first half, I get angry but it seems to have little effect. Then they get caught time-wasting and Barnard crosses for Cooper to score with just a minute left. I go defensive. It's a poor match but I don't care.

Notts County 1-0 Macclesfield ATT: 7098

28th January Rochdale vs Notts County

They are all over us in the first, and take the lead (12), then after a Cooper shot is saved, Barnard taps in (30). Then a rotten mistake by Martin gifts them the lead (40) and 3 minutes later, we are wide open at the back and they make it 3. Very poor, and I lambast the lads. We're hanging on in 3rd, with 51 points from 31 games.

Rochdale 3-1 Notts County ATT: 3531

29th January I sign DR/C Nathan D'Laryea from Man City. He turned me down earlier in the season, now he joins next season on a Bosman. So does Richard Jones MC from Man Utd. He's a highly rated player and could do good things next year.

30th January I sign Nathan's brother Jonathon D'Laryea on a 3 month loan. He's a defensive midfielder. We'll see what he's got, I can sign him on a Bosman if he pans out.

The board profit by 54k this month

1st February I try to sign Jonathon Evans DC from Man Utd but after all sorts of farting around it misses the deadline. I go back and tie him up for next season for 55k. He is another very promising youth team product.

Another request for a new contract for yours truly is rebuffed.

4th February Notts County vs Orient

Jon D'Laryea comes into defensive midfield, with his brother on the bench. We're pathetic in the 1st half, 1-0 down but it could have been 5. Sean Friars equalises with a deflected shot (73). We get a penalty (79) but Barnard misses of course. That's how it ends and I tell the lads rather obviously that we're not good enough. We hang on to 3rd though with 52 from 31.

Notts County 1-1 Orient ATT: 7060

11th February Stockport vs Notts County

After a very poor 1st half I encourage the lads, but we're totally ineffective, culminating in a missed penalty on 82 mins. A woeful game against a rotten opponent.

Stockport 0-0 Notts County ATT: 2637

14th February Notts County vs Mansfield

Hurst is in for the injured Cooper. Morais heads in a cracker after 10, then 13 minute later they have a man sent off. Then of course suddenly they are all over us!! And of course equalise (85). Very believable.

Notts County 1-1 Mansfield ATT: 6651

Still 3rd with 54 from 33.

18th February Notts County vs Carlisle

They come with a negative mindset, yet are creating lots of chances(?!). Yet another penalty for us (87) and this time Barnard scores it! I go defensive and we win, as we deserved to, but we were poor.

Notts County 1-0 Carlisle ATT: 7193

20th February I make Jon D'Laryea permanent-ish. He will arrive on a Bosman to start the next campaign.

24th February Another Bosman job. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake is another Man Utd prospect, who had a prolific loan spell at Forest (he's a striker). He'll do us all right.

25th February Lincoln vs Notts County

Tandy is in for the injured Palmer and Cooper for Hurst. As usual of late, they are all over us, but Morais puts us in front with a Beckham impression (31). Barnard sets up Cooper for number 2 (36). They score 11 minutes later, then equalise (54), before getting a penalty (72) that Pilkington saves. We hang in there.

Lincoln 1-1 Notts County ATT: 4646

We're 3rd with 58 from 35, on a 5 game unbeaten run (with only 1 win). The board have a nice profit of 118k for the month.

4th March Wrexham vs Notts County

Palmer is back in on the left for Tandy. This is a really poor performance, and we are lucky to lose only 1-0 to a 65th minute goal. We slip to 4th, with 58 points from 36 games. We're not sneaking up on anyone now, no longer a "surprise package" in any sense.

Wrexham 1-0 Notts County ATT: 3572

11th March Notts County vs Northampton

They are top of the heap, and we are playing like a heap of s**t at the minute. Tandy comes back in for Palmer to try and shake something up.

Following a bad error from their keeper, Cooper puts us ahead 10 minutes in. The visitors equalise after 16, then lead after 26. Barnard fires in a timely riposte on 47, and the game flows to an exciting draw.

Notts County 2-2 Northampton ATT: 7339

We sneak back up to third, but now have just one win in our last eight, and are only in contention because of our early season exploits.

17th March Prior to our trip to Grimsby, their bossRussell Slade praises me to the skies, in an obvious attempt at mind games. I praise him back...in an obvious attempt at mind games.

18th March Grimsby vs Notts County

5th placed Grimsby are hungry for success, and dominate the early exchanges, taking the lead after 22 minutes. Our performance seems to get progressively more crappy as time goes on, conceding again in the 58th minute. The recalled Palmer gets sent off with 10 minutes left, and straight away the home side complete our thrashing. A pathetic performance that sees us slip to 5th, with 58 points from 38 games, and no end in sight to the losing.

Grimsby 3-0 Notts County ATT: 6424

25th March Notts County vs Shrewsbury

The Shrews are struggling in 19th, but they can't be anymore struggling for form than us. Tandy is back for the suspended Palmer. Barnard gives us the lead (35), then Harkins doubles it with a header 5 minutes later. After the break Barnard heads in our 3rd after 57 minutes, and we run out easy winners, not a scenario I envisaged before the game. We stabilise our position in 4th, with 62 points from 39 games. At least we've stopped the rot. Once you slide, it can get totally out of hand, but at least we've stopped the bleeding, so to speak.

Notts County 3-0 Shrewsbury ATT: 6503

31st March Had I been the chairman of this club, I would have been highly alarmed by what has happened over the last 2 months. Instead, the board surprise me with the offer of a new contract.

The deal contains various flexible packages for the financing of the club. This is a novelty for me, at Forest the flexibility of the package could be summed up in one sentence: "Take it or f**k off."

I negotiate a longer deal, and demand at least the same money as I'm already getting. They agree, and I accept, signing my life away till 2009.

The board make it known how delighted they are, and Glynn Hurst speaks for the apparently delighted players, chastising the board that it took so long in the first place.

The club closes the month with a 48k profit.

1st April Peterborough vs Notts County

Any idea that my new contract would buoy everyone up are quickly dispelled, as mid-table Posh score after 2 minutes. They add another (31), and then a humiliator (87). Never mind Posh, Posh Spice could have beaten us today.

Peterborugh 3-0 Notts County ATT: 4896

We're slipping into dodgy territory, 5th place, just a couple of points ahead of the chasing pack.

8th April Notts County vs Bury

Nathan D'Laryea comes in for the injured Sean Friars, Hurst for the injured Cooper and Palmer for Tandy.

Three from bottom Bury boss us on our own ground, taking the lead after 19 minutes. Despite being reduced to 10 men near half-time, we still struggle badly, until Pipe scrambles home an equaliser 5 minutes from time. We can't find a winner, which is no surprise. We hang on in 5th.

Notts County 1-1 Bury ATT: 6635

15th April Torquay vs Notts County

Another embarrassing performance against moderate opposition, the sort of team we were pulverising early in the season. They lead after 20 minutes, but Hurst grabs an equaliser (65). We just manage to make it stand up for the draw, and hold on to 5th.

Torquay 1-1 Notts County ATT: 2503

17th April Notts County vs Wycombe

Dead last Wycombe fall behind after 50 seconds to a Barnard goal. They respond instantly of course, then take the lead after 38 minutes. Barnard's 2nd goal levels it on the hour, and neither rubbish team can find a winner.

Notts County 2-2 Wycombe ATT: 6427

We rather undeservedly sneak up to 4th, with 65 from 43. What an utterly dreadful division this is.

22nd April Darlington vs Notts County

The home side are upper mid-table, we are crap and injury riddled. Dean Smith comes in for the stricken Pipe and the injured Morais has to be replaced with the totally anonymous Ruben Zadkovich from the reserves. Talk about scraping the barrel (in every sense). They lead (after 20 minutes yet again?!), and we turn in our customary embarrassing performance, until Barnard nets an undeserved equaliser (84). It matters not, as the home side step up a gear, with an 86th minute penalty and a 93rd minute comforter. We were s**t, frankly. We drop to 6th, 65 points from 44.

Darlington 3-1 Notts County ATT: 5045

29th April Oxford vs Notts County

Cooper and Tandy start this one, against the 7th placed team. This is a bit of a sleeper, but we have some good chances, having to settle for a draw in the end. I'll take whatever we can get right now. We hold 6th spot, with 66 points from 45. The 8th-11th placed sides can still overhaul us on the last day of the season, but they need to win and we need to lose (the second part of the equation is no problem).

Oxford 0-0 Notts County ATT: 6468

Jonathan D'Laryea returns to Man City after a decent loan spell in a rotten team. We have gone another 6 games without a win, which makes it something like 2 wins in our last 14 games. Where would we be without Lee Barnard? Bottom of the league possibly.

Still, it's a season beyond the wildest expectations of the board, who tuck away another profit for the month of 81k. Now it's nail-biting time for the last game of the season, which will determine our playoff fate. Not that we have a hope in hell of winning the playoffs, but I want the money and the kudos of actually achieving something this season.

6th May Bristol Rovers vs Notts County

The opposition are no great shakes, which is just as well given our parlous form. It doesn't stop them leading early on, but Barnard levels matters from the spot after 28 minutes. The home team have a man dismissed, and immediately start to dominate us(?!!). I tell the lads it's embarrassing, but we get the draw...and crawl into the playoffs in 6th.

Bristol Rovers 1-1 Notts County ATT: 4886

13th May Notts County vs Lincoln Playoff Semi 1st Leg

I don't fancy us much, though Pipe is available again. It only takes the visitors 2 minutes to score, but then a professional foul on Barnard sees them down to 10 men. Despite going all out for the draw or win, we are totally and utterly pathetic, succumbing meekly to defeat in front of a massive crowd who deserved better.

Notts County 0-1 Lincoln ATT: 19737

15th May. I am in a state of shock. Naively believing that season long loans mean the whole season, I am stunned when the news comes through that Barnard Cooper and Morais have all returned to their clubs. What a kick in the balls! And how come they stayed for the 1st leg but not the second?

16th May Lincoln vs Notts County

We are left with a front two of Glynn Hurst and U-18 striker Pat Sneath. Let me give you the simplified version. We are totally, completely, and utterly hammered 5-0. Without the loan players, is this as bad as we actually were? Our season ends on a very sour note, with me muttering darkly that things are going to change.

Lincoln 5(6)-0(0) ATT: 10877

17th May The loan signings camoflagued many of our failings this season. Having said that, I can't really complain. We performed way above expectations (though not mine). Determined to learn from my mistakes, I begin the long process of overhauling the squad.

Zadkovich, Marshall, O'Callaghan, Ullathorne, Whitlow, Sheridan, Hurst and Sneath are all free transferred. They weren't going to be renewed anyway, so I tear down to the foundations and start building again.

21st May Lee Barnard signs for Southampton on a Bosman. I had a chance to sign him, but it slipped my mind, and by now he isn't interested in signing for us at all. No hard feelings. His loan move was a great deal for both of us.

25th May Dan Martin is pushed out the door by me, for 100k to Hull. Not as impressed by him as everybody else seems to be, and like I say, I'm stripping to the foundations and starting again.

26th May Charlton striker Alex Varney signs on a Bosman. I had toyed with signing him during the season, but he didn't look that impressive. Willing to take a chance on him though...and he's cheap.

28th May In a major surprise, I beat off competition from Sheffield Wednesday, Preston, and Derby to sign Fillipe Morais on a Bosman. He will do a grand job next season, and he won't be missing any playoff 2nd legs this time.

30th May In an idle conversation with Paul Jewell, I discover that his Wigan side are willing to off load Swedish international midfielder Andreas Johannson for 35k. I'm in there like a ferret down a rabbit hole, and secure the services of a player who has played light years above this level, and is only 27 years old.

31st May David Pipe leaves for Reading in a 250k deal totally orchestrated by me. He has a pop at yours truly when he leaves, saying he's glad to see the back of me. Oh well...cheerio Davey Boy!!!

The carnage of the month of May (the Ides of May if you like) comes to an end, showing a profit of 97k for the club. And a decimated staff of about 8 players.

As I recline in the comfort of my converted farmhouse outside Nottingham (a large chunk of which was paid off by my 120 grand Forest severance, the rest almost covered by my shiny new Notts County contract), I look back at the season past and the season to come.

The twins immediately enter the room and start jumping all over me, so I do as Rex Harrison used to do, and shout at the wife, "get those bloody kids out of here!"

Alone once again with my thoughts, the strikingly obvious comes easily to mind.

We were occupying a false position in the league, due mostly to the quality of the loan signings I made (and my adroit stewardship of course!). In that sense I was dead right to let all those players go at the end of the season.

As far as I'm concerned, if a player in a top six side in League Two can't manage an average rating of 7 or thereabouts, then what the hell sort of a player is he? Not one who can survive in League One I'm pretty sure.

We did very well with the hand we were dealt, and I am starting to wonder if it was better that we didn't get promoted. Better to wait one season and go up with a competitive side, than bounce straight back to League Two with a crummy one. In addition, we must be one of the wealthiest clubs in League Two, with 1.2 million quid in the bank. The foundations are very much in place for a march through the divisions.

I am only targetting proven players next season, which doesn't mean grizzled 34 year old cloggers who once got an international cap back in 1991, when 17 first-choice players were injured. Quite the opposite.

There are some very juicy prospects in and around the reserves and youth team set-ups of the Premiership, quite able to hack it in League Two, and maybe as high as the Championship. I've already signed several. It's a game of numbers, and if I keep signing them on modest contracts, a few diamonds are always going to be amongst the rough.

I'm also targetting a new assistant next year, after the departure of Ross McClaren. Call it a failure to a renew a contract or a sacking if you wish, either way Ross was about as happy as a man who won the pools and forgot to post his coupon. He did a reasonable job, and we worked ok together, but he's hardly Sir Alf Ramsey. It's an opportunity to improve, just as I have taken with the purge of the first team squad, and I won't pass this one up either. An advert has been placed. I'd love to improve the coaching staff too, but the cost in severance would be prohibitive. A good assistant manager in charge of most of the training would kill two birds with one stone.

3rd June I continue my Richard and Judy makeover of the squad with the Bosman signing of ex Italy Under-21 goalkeeper Andrea Guatelli from Portsmouth. He has good ratings and I would be happy to go into the season with him as number one.

6th June Two more signings. Juan Ugarte signs from Crewe on a Bosman. The Spanish striker has a good goalscoring record, but was surplus to requirements for them last season.

Tim Sparv DM/AM/LC is a player I've been interested in for a while, and tried to sign in another game. He's a Finnish youth team player at Southampton, and I am delighted to acquire such a good prospect for just 8 grand.

8th June I open the wallet for another 8k to sign Frazer Richardson D/M/R from Crystal Palace. The former Leeds hot prospect had been languishing in the reserves at Selhurst Park, and their loss will very definitely be my gain I feel.

10th June This could be the jewel of my offseason acquisitions. Striker Ramon Calliste arrives on a Bosman from Liverpool, having been relatively dominant in their reserve team last year. He had practically no chance of making their first team because it's so strong, but he'd walk into ours, which he will. Don't be fooled by the exotic name. He's Welsh.

This also allows me to release striker Steve Scoffham. Nothing personal, it's just in keeping with my policy that I want players who look like they can cut it a couple of divisions above where we are now. We need to get promoted and stay there, and the way we'll do that is with a lot of firepower.

18th June The board announces a transfer budget for next season of 275k, which is all right, though we are now sitting with nearly 1.5 million quid in the bank. I can't complain given we're in League Two. As I've said, this board of directors is a picnic to work with compared to the pygmies at Forest

28th June Gary Harkins is voted the supporters Player Of The Year. A tad surprising, though I guess the deliberations don't include loan players. The lad had a fine season, and I very much rate him, though competition for places next season is likely to be fierce, especially in midfield and up front.

The club raked in a profit of 266k in June. How come that bank manager never sends me a Christmas card or a bottle of booze?

1st July Don't try walking through the revolving doors at Meadow Lane today. A veritable tidal wave of new signings arrive, as the transfer window re-opens. Goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders, attackers, the lot. (see earlier posts for transactions)

The squad, in League Two terms, is massively powerful now. I can basically field two teams of equal ability, having learned from my mistakes last year. The depth is such that people are going to start complaining early on, but that's too bad. We want to win and win now, so we're not worrying about people's bruised egos.

I have no excuse not to be promoted now, although the board are rather easy to please, having requested only a respectable league position. I think I can do that. But the only respectable league position as far as I'm concerned is a finish in the promotion places.

The players are back in training in a week or so, then we'll get to work.

10th July A convoluted search for a new assistant manager is finally at an end. I ran the ad four times, the fourth time drawing a response from my old mate Kit Symons (see Forest of Mediocrity). I tried to come to terms with him but the board were too cheap. Attention turned to my second choice Mike Rigg from Sheffield Wednesday. The Owls coach was a very handy second choice, and I had no qualms about bringing him aboard. We got on great, and the deal was struck inside two days. I have a good feeling about this managerial double-act.

16th July My obsession with a deep squad drives me to sign ex-Forest stopper Darren Ward on a free transfer. He'd been kicking around, and I thought sure he'd sign for a bigger club, but nobody seemed to want him so I sniped in. He's a bloody good keeper, always has been, and will be my number one.

18th July One area of my squad that wasn't so deep was left back...I didn't have any to be precise. To fix this, I signed Scott Morrison from Dunfermline on a three month loan. He was at the club for one day, then I thought "hang on, this guy's good and they're ready to sell him for a thousand quid, that has to be worth a punt." Mike was all for it, and we brokered a deal, from which I came away feeling like a thief. Still, it's dog eat dog in this world, and you won't find me in a tin of Pedigree Chum.

19th July Nottts County vs Crystal Palace

Our first home friendly. Our new look side reads: Ward, Richardson, Morrison, Pettigrew, Evans, Jones, Morais, Palmer, Johansson, Calliste, Ebanks-Blake. Palmer is the only name on that list who was here last season, and that's only because Tim Sparv got injured in training.

We are terrific in the first half, Calliste netting after 3 minutes and Ebanks-Blake after 12. Then it's the Andy Johnson

show. He scores a 12 minute second half hat-trick to down us 3-2. I'm not too bothered, we played really well, and one player was the difference.

Notts County 2-3 Crystal Palace ATT: 7156

22nd July Another familiar face turns up at Meadow Lane. Kenny Cooper had been on the free transfer list for a while too, same thing as Ward. He just kept floating around, and I said "f**k it, let's sign him" even though we had loads of new strikers. He's got the talent, it's his injury history that's the knock on him. With a deep squad, that's not so much of a gamble. I'm delighted to have him aboard.

24th July Notts County vs Sunderland

Same team for this friendly, will ring the changes at half time. They score after 10 minutes, Calliste equalises after 17, then they clinch a lively, open game with a goal just after half time. Again, we played well and looked good despite the loss to a team miles above us in the pyramid.

Notts County 1-2 Forest ATT: 6987

After the game Kevin Pilkington finally sods off to Burnley for 100k. I organised this deal ages ago, but for some reason it dragged on. He's a decent player, but I'll take the cash thanks.

26th Notts County vs Inter

This is our showpiece, televised pre-season climax. Same 11 but with Sparv on the left now that he's back in harness. 25 minutes in the Italian giants score, then amazingly Ebanks-Blake fires in an equaliser just before half time. They overpower us with 2 goals in the second period, but it was a terrific effort from the lads, against a hatful of world class names.

Notts County 1-3 Inter ATT: 14888

The three defeats have left our confidence low, so I decide to arrange a booster, against non-league Grantham 3 days later. I'll spare you the endless detail, because we won 9-0 but Ebanks-Blake got 4, Calliste 2, with Cooper, O'Hara, and Cooper again rounding out the scoring. We had 28 shots in the game.

31st July My other obsession, that of getting rid of all the relics from last year, continues with the departure of defensive midfielder Matthew Gill for 6k plus a 25% sell-on to Tranmere. Supposedly, they're a promotion rival, but I doubt if this guy will come back to hurt us.

The club registers a profit of 343k for the month.

The bookies are making their predictions for the title, and our close season turnover obviously impressed them, since were 6-4 on favourites, along with Oxford and Wrexham, for the title. I like it. Now all we need is about 95 points.

• 2 weeks later...

4th August Walsall vs Notts County

Saddlers boss Paul Merson tries to wind us up before the game, claiming they'll win no problem. I basically tell him to p**s off, and we get down to business. My first team is Ward, D'Laryea, Morrison, Evans©, Edwards, Sparv, Morais, Jones, Johansson, Calliste, Blake.

Both teams are very rusty and nothing much happens. Then in the 87th minute, from an innocuous set piece, we concede a headed goal and lose. I'm not too bothered about the long term impact, but always hate to lose when opposition managers have been slabbering beforehand.

Walsall 1-0 Notts County ATT: 6486

8th August Torquay vs Notts County

Another tricky away one. They score in the 3rd minute, and again after 20. Now I am a bit concerned. Johansson replies 10 minutes before the break, and I tell the team at half-time I expect the win...no excuses. We dominate the 2nd period, but have to wait until the 90th minute for Ramon Calliste to slot home a deserved equaliser.

Torquay 2-2 Notts County ATT: 3166

Not quite how I envisaged the start of the season: bad goals from sloppy defending, lethargic front play etc. But my teams always start slowly, because I don't believe in heavy pre-season workloads. We're glad to be home now, and after two games to get their eye in, no more excuses are available.

12th August Notts County vs Rushden

Ebanks Blake starts the game with a remarkable run the length of the field, squaring for Calliste to give us the lead 3 minutes in. A great cross from D'Laryea just after the interval is fired in by Ebanks for 2-0. Then after we miss a penalty on the hour, Calliste wraps it up in the 76th minute. A late "consolation" for them does nothing to blunt my satisfaction. A four week lay-off for Tim Sparv with a pulled hamstring does though.

Notts County 3-1 Rushden ATT: 4984

14th August Still concerned by the fact that we only have one left back, I am delighted to sign young Norwich prospect Anthony Lloyd. I pick him up for 50k, though he's rated at 250k, and he looks every bit the player that we need, both now and for the future.

19th August Notts County vs Cambridge

Palmer comes in for Sparv, and curiously enough Calliste scores in the 3rd minute again. We dominate the whole game, outshooting them 15-6, only for 2 points to be stolen from us in the 89th minute by a dodgy penalty, scored by Craig Westcarr.

Notts County 1-1 Cambridge ATT: 5222

23rd August Bournemouth vs Notts County League Cup 1st Round

Every possible reserve is in for this one. My team reads: Guatelli, Smith, Lloyd, Pettigrew, Friars, Richardson, Tandy, D'Laryea, Harkins, Ugarte, Varney.

Inside the first ten, the home side lead through a deflected goal. Ugarte replies on 23. In the 2nd half, Guatelli gives away a penalty near the hour mark and saves it, then we take the lead when Pettigrew heads in a free kick. It was not to be though, as two late strikes from them put us out of the competition. It would have been nice to progress, but it's not a major part of our plans.

Bournemouth 3-2 Notts County ATT: 5520

Some journalist or other has a pop at Anthony Lloyd after the game, saying he had a crap debut. He did, but I tell the guy to wise up, he's only just put on our club shirt, and I won't be criticising him any time soon.

26th August Southend vs Notts County

We arrive expecting three points at Southend, who always seem to be bottom of the table when I play them, but never end up getting relegated.

It's a poor game, and they are looking for a draw. We have to wait till just after half time to take the lead through Johansson, and we amble to victory in a poor game.

Southend 0-1 Notts County ATT: 5353

Ahead of our away game at Chesterfield, Roy McFarland baits me, saying they will run out easy winners. Funny, I think we'll run out easy winners, and I say so. Let's see who was right.

29th August Chesterfield vs Notts County

A nice move after 15 minutes sees Calliste give us the lead, but they respond on 38. Calliste is spurred in to action and nets again just 4 minutes later. We dominate from thereon in, and sub Juan Ugarte seals the 3 points with 3 minutes left. We outshot them 18-3, and I'm having a good laugh at Roy McFarland all night long.

Chesterfield 1-3 Notts County ATT: 5534

As the table starts to develop some semblance of meaning, we are currently 5th, with just one defeat. It's time to make our push.

30th August Wary of injuries, and obsessed with stockpiling goalscorers, I sign Icelandic international frontman Hjalmar from Hearts for free. He's a very good finisher, who scored well on loan in the Scottish lower divisions, but got minimal play with the big club. I signed him in the fashion I sign many of my players. Somebody declares in the press that they're desperate to get him, and I sh**ehawk my way in after realising he looks right and good. We now have a formidable corps of strikers, more than a match for anyone in this division.

As if to emphasise this, Ramon Calliste scoops the divisional award for young player of the month, with 6 goals in 6 months. As if to emphasise my signing policy even more, he is promptly injured for 4 weeks.

2nd September Notts County vs Halifax

Ugarte steps in for the injured Calliste and Tandy for Palmer.

The Shaymen take an unexpected lead after 8 minutes, which stands up till the half hour, when a stinging shot from Morais levels proceedings. Another match we dominate, outshooting them 18-8, but we're still sweating it, until Ebanks gets the winner with 20 minutes to go. These days I don't f**k about. If we're leading with 20 minutes to go, I go defensive and look to hit on the break. It seems to work.

Notts County 2-1 Halifax ATT: 5683

Not a great performance, but we win. We're still 5th, with 14 points from 7 games.

9th September Peterborough vs Notts County

Morais, who is bang in form at the minute, scores a great individual goal after 2 minutes, but I never feel comfortable in this game. The lead holds till the half hour, then they take the lead just after half time. It's a crap performance, for no apparent reason, and we take the fall. I feel compelled to give the lads a major bollocking. We shouldn't be losing games like this.

Peterborough 2-1 Notts County ATT: 5341

16th September Darlington vs Notts County

Kenny Cooper is in for Ugarte and Lloyd for the injured Morrison. This is a strange game again. Ebanks scores a nice goal after 2 minutes, then we are swamped, three goals flying in before half time.

Ebanks gets us back in it with 10 minutes left, then Johansson completes the comeback after 82. I tell the lads it was a good performance against a team in 3rd, but can't understand why we're so wobbly at the minute.

Darlington 3-3 Notts County ATT: 6527

23rd September Notts County vs Chester

The visitors are 19th, and come for a point. They hold out until the 45th, Ebanks driving home after a nice move. Then they get a man sent off, but we don't finish it until the 85th, Ebanks the man again. He's in great form right now, vindicating my policy of "you can never have enough good strikers".

Notts County 2-0 Chester ATT: 5423

Proving the old analogy that "as one door opens, another one slams in your face", our celebrations are tempered with the news that Tim Sparv will be out 3 to 5 months with a torn groin. Still, we're performing much better now, and hopefully this is the point where the team becomes the sum of its parts.

26th September Macclesfield vs Notts County

We are ravaged by injuries, and a suspension for Morais. Johansson moves to MR and Harkins comes into the centre, with Tandy in again for Sparv.

This one is the Kenny Cooper show. He grabs a two minute double in the 25th and 27th, then Harkins makes it 3, with a bullet header on 37. They pull one back before half time, but get their keeper sent off with 30 minutes left. It's plain sailing for us. Harkins was absolutely superb in his first league start of the season.

Macclesfield 1-3 Notts County ATT: 3488

We're 5th, 21 points from 11 games. I have this idea that to win titles you need to average 2 points a game, and we're about right at the minute. The squad is holding up well to the injury problems, which is exactly the reason why I beefed it up so much over the Summer. That's satisfying. Apparently the board are impressed lately too.

29th August Trevor Francis, boss of league-leading Tranmere, nasal whines in the press that he's confident of beating us when they visit on Saturday. I say nothing. We'll see about that Trev.

30th August Notts County vs Tranmere

Morais is back for Harkins Evans for the injured Pettigrew, and Scott Morrison back on the left for Lloyd.

Kenny Cooper slots home after 17, though they equalise immediately. But the Yankee striker drives home again after the half hour, before producing an absolute gem just before the break, sealing a tremendous hat-trick. Picking up the ball on the left, he cut infield, ghosting past players, before hammering one into the top corner. I go defensive, and we cruise to victory.

Notts County 3-1 Tranmere ATT: 6261

Francis gets both barrels after the game. I tell him he was tactically outclassed. When he fails to respond, I have another pop, telling him he's got plenty to learn, and I hope he doesn't get promotion. Football management is a tough business, and I am not going to get pushed around by anybody, least of all that nasal twat. Hopefully other managers will stop trying to unsettle us, and get the message that we mean business.

Morais had a great month and wins both the young player, and player of the month gong. We now move up to 2nd, 24 from 12, bumping Francis' team to 3rd. The board are delighted, and make a profit of 64k for the month.

6th October Edwards, Harkins and Cooper are in the Team of The Week. Calliste is back in full training, and competition for places is hotter than a Swedish porn mag, which is exactly how it was supposed to be.

7th October Rochdale vs Notts County

We are badly stretched by international call-ups for this one. Guatelli is in for Ward, Richardson moves from DR to MR and D'Laryea is at DR. Friars is in for Evans and Harkins for Johansson.

Cooper taps in a simple goal (13), then heads in a cracker (54). They strike back with 12 minutes left, but Ebanks finishes it in the last minute.

Rochdale 1-3 Notts County ATT: 3978

With this win, we cruise into 1st place. It's a tremendous effort by the lads, and I tell them so, but for some reason they think I don't praise them enough, which is strange. The board are pleased, and the media have been saying we will be hard to stop. If we play to our potential, no-one in this division will stop us.

14th October Notts County vs Cheltenham

Cooper gets us going 4 minutes in but the visitors equalise, and a bore draw ensues. We're still top though.

Notts County 1-1 Cheltenham ATT: 6508

17th October Notts County vs Gillingham LDV

Changes are rung for the meaningless LDV against a higher division team. Being that it's meaningless, I'll just tell you we won 3-2 with a winner from Ugarte in the 115th minute.

Edwards got injured in the game, and will miss a month. Drat!

21st October Bristol Rovers vs Notts County

We put out another injury ravaged team, made worse by the suspension of Johansson, though Ebanks and Cooper are both available.

In an embarrassing 1st half, the home side rain down 16 shots on us and lead 1-0. Ebanks levels it (47), but Rovers get what they deserves 5 minutes from time. A real off day, and it costs us top spot.

Bristol Rovers 2-1 Notts County ATT: 7194

28th October Orient vs Notts County

I'm hopeful of a bounce back against the 19th placed O's, especially since Jones, Pettigrew and Johansson are back for us. On a hunch, I reckon Cooper might have ended his scoring surge, and Calliste gets the start...which proves a good hunch when he shoots in after 3 minutes. After an O's equaliser Calliste scores again (30) and an Evans penalty (35) sends us in well in front. Calliste completes the hat-trick on 63, and despite a "consolation" goal, we run out easy winners.

Orient 2-4 Notts County ATT: 2326

It isn't enough to vault us back to top spot, but we'll take it all right. The media comments that we outclassed the O's, but I resist the temptation to start mouthing off in the press. We must be all business. Prizes aren't handed out in October. The board are however, handed out a 25k profit for the month.

Harkins gets the player of the month award, just desserts for some absolutely sensational performances, making him impossible to leave out. This hasn't been difficult with the injuries we've had lately.

At the start of the term, he was on the bench, and having to fight for that place. He has responded magnificently, never whined, and grabbed his chance with both hands.

Brighton are sniffing around for his services, but I make it known that they can't afford him, and they should get lost, because he's going nowhere.

4th November Notts County vs Scunthorpe FA CUP 1st Round

The visitors are in League One these days, so it should be a tough game. It's certainly an open one, with the shots 16-12 in our favour. Just before half-time Johansson half volleys a cross in, a very skillful strike. It's back and forth from there, till sub Cooper seals it 7 minutes from time. I am particularly pleased that we're playing teams from League One very tough this season. That's promising.

Notts County 2-0 Scunthorpe ATT: 6575

11th November Oxford vs Notts County

Calliste is out for a month, Ward for 2 weeks. In all, 9 first teamers are unavailable, but Cooper gives us a great start (2), then scores again (9)...and again (17). Brilliant stuff!! A 17 minute true hat-trick. The home team score twice in the 2nd half to give us a scare, but there would be no comeback, and they didn't deserve one. Ebanks punishes them twice on the break as they come forward looking for an equaliser. What a great performance and result, achieved with so many key players absent. A tribute to the squad culture that these guys have bought into.

Oxford 2-5 Notts County ATT: 8915

Before the match, Brian Talbot was sure he'd win. I don't roast him the way I did with Francis because he wasn't arrogant about it. I just say confidence is sky high and we fear nobody.

18th November Notts County vs Stockport

The visitors are in the s**t, and an easy win for us is predicted. However, they come for a point and fight hard, managing a few long range shots themselves.

Finally Ebanks breaks through 20 minutes from time, and doubles our tally 6 minutes later with a stunning diving header.

Notts County 2-0 Stockport ATT: 6454

Unfortunately Johansson has torn a thigh muscle and will be out 1-2 months. A local journalist asks me if the squad can deal with that. I don't answer stupid questions.

Ok guys that's as far as I've got, apologies for the delay in updating, I've been pretty busy. Hope people are still enjoying it.

I am looking to get some serious play done at the weekend. I don't think I have ever had so many good young players in any game I've played, and I think these boys can go right to the top.

21st November Northampton vs Notts County LDV 2nd Round

As usual, every reserve going is in the side. We're thumped 4-0, and Hjalmar is sent off, but as I've said before, I don't particularly give a monkees. However, Palmer is out 1-4 weeks with a twisted knee, and Richardson is out 1-4 weeks too, which is a bugger.

Northampton 4-0 Notts County ATT: 3027

25th November Notts County vs Shrewsbury

The Shrews are struggling near the foot of the table, but we have 8 members of the first team unavailable. They help themselves to a 2nd minute penalty, but Cooper strikes back (30). Despite reasonable domination, that's all there is, and it's a bore draw. We should have won and it's 2 points dropped. I go ballistic with the players, which might be unfair, but this isn't good enough if we want to get promoted.

Notts County 1-1 Shrewsbury ATT: 6469

Ok, here's my first attempt at putting the end of month league table in (see below). Also this month, we make a profit of 103k, and sweep the gongs. Ebanks-Blake gets player and young player of the month, and I pick up the manager award. As good as it gets from that point of view.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Notts Co | | 19 | 11 | 5 | 3 | 41 | 23 | +18 | 38 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Tranmere | | 19 | 11 | 4 | 4 | 32 | 18 | +14 | 37 |

| 3rd | | Walsall | | 19 | 10 | 7 | 2 | 23 | 12 | +11 | 37 |

| 4th | | Peterborough | | 18 | 11 | 3 | 4 | 29 | 19 | +10 | 36 |

| 5th | | Darlington | | 19 | 10 | 6 | 3 | 23 | 14 | +9 | 36 |

| 6th | | Rushden | | 19 | 9 | 7 | 3 | 31 | 21 | +10 | 34 |

| 7th | | Bristol Rovers | | 19 | 9 | 6 | 4 | 32 | 21 | +11 | 33 |

| 8th | | Cheltenham | | 19 | 7 | 8 | 4 | 37 | 29 | +8 | 29 |

| 9th | | Cambridge | | 19 | 8 | 5 | 6 | 24 | 24 | 0 | 29 |

| 10th | | Oxford | | 19 | 6 | 9 | 4 | 24 | 20 | +4 | 27 |

| 11th | | Rochdale | | 19 | 7 | 5 | 7 | 28 | 23 | +5 | 26 |

| 12th | | Stockport | | 19 | 7 | 5 | 7 | 22 | 22 | 0 | 26 |

| 13th | | Southend | | 18 | 7 | 2 | 9 | 23 | 25 | -2 | 23 |

| 14th | | Leyton Orient | | 19 | 5 | 7 | 7 | 26 | 26 | 0 | 22 |

| 15th | | Torquay | | 19 | 6 | 4 | 9 | 22 | 28 | -6 | 22 |

| 16th | | Carlisle | | 19 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 19 | 25 | -6 | 21 |

| 17th | | Bury | | 19 | 5 | 5 | 9 | 22 | 31 | -9 | 20 |

| 18th | | Macclesfield | | 19 | 4 | 7 | 8 | 23 | 29 | -6 | 19 |

| 19th | | Barnet | | 19 | 4 | 6 | 9 | 20 | 27 | -7 | 18 |

| 20th | | Chesterfield | | 19 | 4 | 6 | 9 | 20 | 30 | -10 | 18 |

| 21st | | Chester | | 19 | 2 | 11 | 6 | 13 | 22 | -9 | 17 |

| 22nd | | Shrewsbury | | 19 | 3 | 7 | 9 | 14 | 30 | -16 | 16 |

| 23rd | | Halifax | | 19 | 3 | 5 | 11 | 24 | 35 | -11 | 14 |

| 24th | | Wrexham | | 19 | 1 | 8 | 10 | 14 | 32 | -18 | 11 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|</pre>

2nd December Notts County vs Tranmere FA CUP 2nd Round

Darren Ward is back between the sticks. We get off to a total flyer. Harkins heads in a bullet (3) and Ebanks finds the corner of the net with a crisp strike (7). We continue to beat at the door, and Kenny Cooper finishes a good move on the hour. The team are absolutely fantastic, as Trevor Francis' lot are swept aside for the second time this season.

Notts County 3-0 Tranmere ATT: 6847

The usual Sunday televised draw from Lancaster Gate takes place. I am invited up by the BBC, but I tell them I don't interrupt my family time for any c**t. We draw Crewe in the next round, which is a bit of a disappointment, but on the other hand, it's a game we can win.

During the following week, Stoke are sniffing around for Morais. They can sniff all they like, but they won't like the smell when they find out how much I'll be asking for him.

5th December Bury vs Notts County

Cooper (12) and Ebanks (15,39) give us another phenomenal start, but the computer finds it necessary for them to score two late goals, a minor irritant in a game we completely dominated.

Bury 2-3 Notts County ATT: 2352

The games are going to come thick and fast now, and Harkins won't be available for the next one, having picked up a 1 game suspension.

9th December Notts County vs Wrexham

The bottom club come for a point, but we poop on their strategy when Tandy slips through a nice pass for Ebanks to provide a lethal finish. The game drifts in much the same fashion, the visitors showing little ambition, the home side showing little finish. But as they say, one's enough.

Notts County 1-0 Wrexham ATT: 6429

16th December Barnet vs Notts County

Harkins returns, but the Londoners ambush us in the first minute. Cooper gets sent off (14), and they make it two (33). Despite a reply from Ebanks (47), the extra man tells, and they wrap it up with a 3rd on 65 minutes.

Barnet 3-1 Notts County ATT: 3166

23rd December Notts County vs Carlisle

Some injuries here. Richardson is back at DR. Evans has to deputise for the injured Edwards at DC and Ugarte comes in for the suspended Cooper. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt us too much against the struggling visitors.

Morais (2) and Ebanks (8) are all we need, despite a late goal from them (don't they always score a pointless late one just to make you sweat?!)

Notts County 2-1 Carlisle ATT: 5821

26th December A long coveted target arrives at Meadow Lane. Jan Rezek is a former Czech U-21 international, a hot prospect at his club, who is nevertheless frozen out. I have been haggling for a few months, terrified a much more glamorous name will snipe him, but we finally agree a deal for 250k plus 25% sell-on. This guy has sky high ratings, and though a natural striker, can play on the left and centre midfield. The final piece in my jigsaw puzzle, which he better be, since I've blown the whole transfer budget on him. He joins on 1st January.

During the day we play out a bore draw, against whom I have no idea. I made an error in my notes and forgot to write down which team we were actually playing. Sorry about that, though I can confirm that the attendance was 5718!

Huddersfield make a bid of 14k for Harkins. When I've stopped laughing, I tell them to fook off.

30th December Rushden vs Notts County

Edwards returns to DC, but we are garbage, and concede on the stroke of half time. I bollock the players to no effect, and we lose without much of a whimper.

Rushden 1-0 Notts County ATT: 4397

The revolving door of injuries keeps spinning. Star left back Scott Morrison is out 1-4 weeks, Frazer Richardson out 1-2 weeks, and Tandy is suspended. Thankfully, we have a very, very deep squad. The club shows a profit of 97k for the month.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | Peterborough | | 25 | 15 | 5 | 5 | 43 | 29 | +14 | 50 |

| 2nd | | Tranmere | | 25 | 14 | 6 | 5 | 44 | 24 | +20 | 48 |

| 3rd | | Notts Co | | 25 | 14 | 6 | 5 | 48 | 30 | +18 | 48 |

| 4th | | Darlington | | 25 | 13 | 8 | 4 | 33 | 21 | +12 | 47 |

| 5th | | Cambridge | | 25 | 12 | 6 | 7 | 36 | 29 | +7 | 42 |

| 6th | | Bristol Rovers | | 25 | 11 | 8 | 6 | 42 | 31 | +11 | 41 |

| 7th | | Cheltenham | | 25 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 50 | 39 | +11 | 40 |

| 8th | | Rushden | | 25 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 37 | 29 | +8 | 40 |

| 9th | | Walsall | | 25 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 26 | 20 | +6 | 40 |

| 10th | | Oxford | | 25 | 9 | 12 | 4 | 32 | 25 | +7 | 39 |

| 11th | | Stockport | | 25 | 9 | 8 | 8 | 28 | 26 | +2 | 35 |

| 12th | | Rochdale | | 25 | 9 | 7 | 9 | 32 | 28 | +4 | 34 |

| 13th | | Carlisle | | 25 | 8 | 6 | 11 | 27 | 32 | -5 | 30 |

| 14th | | Bury | | 25 | 8 | 6 | 11 | 37 | 45 | -8 | 30 |

| 15th | | Barnet | | 25 | 7 | 8 | 10 | 35 | 38 | -3 | 29 |

| 16th | | Torquay | | 25 | 8 | 5 | 12 | 31 | 35 | -4 | 29 |

| 17th | | Leyton Orient | | 25 | 7 | 8 | 10 | 33 | 39 | -6 | 29 |

| 18th | | Southend | | 25 | 8 | 5 | 12 | 35 | 42 | -7 | 29 |

| 19th | | Macclesfield | | 25 | 6 | 10 | 9 | 33 | 37 | -4 | 28 |

| 20th | | Chesterfield | | 25 | 5 | 8 | 12 | 26 | 40 | -14 | 23 |

| 21st | | Chester | | 25 | 3 | 13 | 9 | 21 | 30 | -9 | 22 |

| 22nd | | Shrewsbury | | 25 | 4 | 8 | 13 | 21 | 42 | -21 | 20 |

| 23rd | | Halifax | | 25 | 3 | 8 | 14 | 29 | 46 | -17 | 17 |

| 24th | | Wrexham | | 25 | 2 | 9 | 14 | 20 | 42 | -22 | 15 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Archived