Chelsea 04-06

I want to recreate the Mourinho,Chelsea tactic,Especially the midfield roles

I didnt get to experience this team as i was only born in 2003,but growing up in a family that supports Chelsea, Ive always heard the greatness of this side

The only way i have been able to see this team is highlights which isnt much help

From what ive read the roles would be                CM(a)-AP(a)---BWM(s)        but in the game i have never been able to make this work

A

I'll refer you to this article on Zonal Marking; http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/01/25/teams-of-the-decade-13-chelsea-2004-06/

As a rough approximation, I'd say something like; 

GK (Cech) - Goalkeeper (D)

DR (Ferreira) - Full Back (S)
DL (Bridge) - Wing Back (S)
DC(r) (Carvalho) - Centre Back (C)
DC(l) (Terry) - Centre Back (S) - Maybe BPD as Terry's passing was criminally underrated.

DM (Makelele) - Anchor Man (D)
MC(r) (Tiago/Essien/Gudjohnsen) - Really depended on the player tbh, I'd play with either B2B(S) or MC(S). 
MC(l) (Lampard) - CM(A)

AMR (Duff) - IW(S)
AML (Robben) - IF(A)
ST (Drogba) - CF(S)

Edited by Spiegel
Forgot about the Anchor Man role!

On 19/01/2020 at 14:22, Hilly1979 said:

My take on the midfield 3 from that period would be, Anchor man, box to box midfielder and CM on a attack

Only not 100% sure about the BBM. Maybe a BWM on support (Essien) instead. Was long ago, so it's difficult to remember everything :)

Here's my interpretation of that team

Counter (or Cautious mentality)

Gk

WB (d)-CB (c)-CB (x)-WB (s or a)

A (d)

IW (a)-BBM (s)-MEZ (a)-W (a)

PF (a)

TIs

Pass Into Space

Whipped Crosses

Regroup

Counter

Wide defensive shape

The PIs I would have is to allow the switching of the wingers

And also Roam From Position for them and the Drogba role

Edited by Jean0987654321

• 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, De Nile said:

I would include DLF on attack for Drogba,

I've just put together a tactic with a DLF, CM(A) & a CWB on the left, I was just thinking it would be amazing for Chelsea for that period 

Drogba as the DLF, perfect, Lamapard as the CM(A) & Ashley Cole at left back, would be amazing. Make me yearn or old data bases :lol:

I'll have a read of those :thup: 

The way i look at Drogba is he atarted as a advanced forward then was transitioned into more of a targetman under mourinho he states that himself in an interview. So this transition allowed ancelotti to use him as more of a complete forward , but replicating the playstyle under mourinho id suggest its more of a pressing forward attack role using a targetman with pace like duvan zapata mourinho liked drogba defending from the front hence pressing forward but i do note his involvement in build up play in a tactic i have been working on i have him with roam from position on witch has perfectly replicated those movement. below i have shared the tactic and a screen shot the only change based on players i have is the back 4 is a mirror of how mourinho set his up and the dm is more in the obi mikel mould if your left back is more suited to attacking then your right back then you can switch the back 4 making sure the cb positions swap too also a bpd stopper would replicate the terry role better if you have the right player. I also have the wingers roam and swap positions too.

1569040_20220404220415_1.thumb.png.fe61df2c596bbe72431a92e3eb0caefa.png

Mourinho 4-3-3 DM Wide - MK1.fmf