FM20 - Youth Contracts

Hi guys,

I am struggling to understand youth contracts in FM20. I am playing in England and it used to be that when you signed your youth intakes to say 3 year contracts, they were protected and no one could sign them for free until they were in the last 6 months of their contract. I have all my youth intakes signed up that I want but some teams are approaching me and offering me money for them and then for the same player other teams are approaching to sign them for free. How? has the situation changed in England now? They are all English clubs as well that are trying to sign the players.

Thanks

i do not think this is correct - see my post in another forum below:

• Members+
  •  
  • 1,101 posts
  • Team: Liverpool
  • Managing: Liverpool

Hi Ben, sorry not noticed your reply. I will upload a game as soon as I can but in the meantime I am playing in England and I have players from the youth intake that I signed to 3 years contracts. I have had some English teams offer me money for them which is fine and I reject them. However other English teams come in and approach to sign the same player on a free. Yet when I look for players to sign for free I cannot find any even though the players I look at are between 15 and 17.

So this is my player below who signed a youth contract 2 years ago - his contract is up on 30/6/2023. Tottenham offer me a deal for him that I reject. Then other teams try and sign him on a free. I find a player at Southampton who is 15 and a 16 yo at West Ham and I do not have the option to sign them for free - see screenshot of Adam Miles & Felix Baker. I do not understand this. Thanks

image.thumb.png.fc071e3b9ac2f4f827e046ed3556d195.pngimage.thumb.png.c6266db278ebd7b87e217ee0669b9189.pngimage.thumb.png.dbcc3de467ac80dc927987a14c801c81.pngimage.thumb.png.f2a62a355ffc4dc70194c1cb1f799120.pngimage.thumb.png.ea5907e6f7d486b42472e901bb1c1da5.png

image.png

@Mojby What contract types are your youth players on? If they're on Youth contracts rather than Full Time, other teams will be able to offer them Full Time contracts, subject to a compensation fee. Tottenham's £210k transfer offer looks like they were trying their luck to sign him at a reduced price, as the compensation fee for that player is £1.1m.

He is on a youth contract but so are the two players that I want to sign but I do not have an option to buy them for free (compensation fee). Why can I not sign anyone but others can sign my players!

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Mojby said:

He is on a youth contract but so are the two players that I want to sign but I do not have an option to buy them for free (compensation fee). Why can I not sign anyone but others can sign my players!

Thanks

Can you post a screenshot of the contract status of one of those two players? Presumably they've signed provisional professional contracts for when they get to the right age.

And can you also post a screenshot of the contract tab of your player?

Edited by KlaaZ

Ah OK, I see that it is because the two players I am looking at have provisionally agreed a pro contract in the future where as mine have not. So basically to secure my youth prospects I have to sign them from my youth intake on a youth contract and then shortly after offer them another contract! so two contracts in a couple of weeks as I am past the youth intake - can  I offer them a pro contract straight from my youth intake squad?

Thanks

25 minutes ago, Mojby said:

Ah OK, I see that it is because the two players I am looking at have provisionally agreed a pro contract in the future where as mine have not. So basically to secure my youth prospects I have to sign them from my youth intake on a youth contract and then shortly after offer them another contract! so two contracts in a couple of weeks as I am past the youth intake - can  I offer them a pro contract straight from my youth intake squad?

Thanks

You can offer them professional contracts immediately once they generate in the youth intake, yes.

• 1 month later...

If they are under 17 and on a youth contract, but have a professional contract agreed, then they can't be 'poached' for compensation which is, I suspect what happens when you try and approach other players.

If your players are on Youth contracts without a professional contract agreed, then they can be pulled from under your nose, simply by agreeing a professional contract with another club. 

The professional contract comes into force when they turn 17 however the impact on the ability to transfer them rests on whether there is one in place for them.

Personally,  I pick out the most promising few on Intake and offer pro contracts within a day or two. Often without them even having played the u18s.

Edited by Snorks