Random Lower League Team Picker

7 minutes ago, thehig2 said:

Just incase people arnt aware its an option starting unemployed is a good option which achieves the same goal more organically as you get your chance at a club once a manager has left or been sacked

I mean yeah, if you load all leagues that could work

you could also maybe use this to just pick the country to manage in and maybe use my suggestions for leagues to complement it

On 18/01/2020 at 10:57, Hovis Dexter said:

This is really great and the suggested complementary leagues are the icing on the cake :thup:

Cheers Hovis

Yeah wanted to make it a little different to what's been done before and it's a question a lot of people ask when starting a new game

8 minutes ago, anagain said:

Fantastic work. I really like the extra little text below the team picked.

There used to be a great Llama website, but I can't find anything in Google now so I guess it disappeared.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was www.lowerleaguemanager.com but, as you say, it's no longer accessible.

20 hours ago, anagain said:

There used to be a great Llama website, but I can't find anything in Google now so I guess it disappeared.

Cheers anagain, it's only a simple tool, hope it might get a save or two started for some people

20 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was www.lowerleaguemanager.com but, as you say, it's no longer accessible.

Yeah that's the one, was really good.  They did some great write ups on the leagues and their team picker "Paco" was really good too

I've updated the OP to the latest version

v2.2

Links to league info added (you may need to allow popups for Microsoft sites for this to work)

moved to excel online for increased functionality

v2.3

Small formula error corrected

Offline copy link added

Edited by Brother Ben

54 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Cheers anagain, it's only a simple tool, hope it might get a save or two started for some people

If you haven't already post it over on the FottballManagerGames sub reddit. They might put it on the sidebar or sticky it.

At the least, it will open your tool up to a wider audience that might not visit these forums.

10 minutes ago, anagain said:

If you haven't already post it over on the FottballManagerGames sub reddit. They might put it on the sidebar or sticky it.

At the least, it will open your tool up to a wider audience that might not visit these forums.

Good idea, it could disappear quite quickly on here.

What do you think of the additions?

Edited by Brother Ben

When I downloaded the latest version it opened on the countries tab. I don't know if that was just me but I wonder if you would want to re-upload the file so that it defaults to to the picker tab so that people aren't confused :)

I do like the links on the countries tab.

29 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Good idea, it could disappear quite quickly on here.

What do you think of the additions?

Great. Like Hovis Dexter though, it opened the tool on the countries tab. Took me a moment to realise there was another tab with the random tool on it.

I like the links to league info and the idea to have a link to areas.

Might I suggest combining the two tabs in to one main tab. At the top of the screen have a link to the random picker for the whole of the simulated leagues, or just have the picker with a reload button. Below that have the individual area buttons, but maybe have the top half of a button link to wiki and the bottom half be a random picker for just that league. Is that possible?

Just an idea though. It's your hard work and you've done great.

Would definitely be good posted over in the Good Player and Team Guide sub forum. Whilst it might get buried in General Discussion it hopefully will be saved for the future over there.

Edited by anagain

16 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

When I downloaded the latest version it opened on the countries tab. I don't know if that was just me but I wonder if you would want to re-upload the file so that it defaults to to the picker tab so that people aren't confused :)

I do like the links on the countries tab.

Try it now

21 minutes ago, anagain said:

Great. Like Hovis Dexter though, it opened the tool on the countries tab. Took me a moment to realise there was another tab with the random tool on it.

I like the links to league info and the idea to have a link to areas.

Might I suggest combining the two tabs in to one main tab. At the top of the screen have a link to the random picker for the whole of the simulated leagues, or just have the picker with a reload button. Below that have the individual area buttons, but maybe have the top half of a button link to wiki and the bottom half be a random picker for just that league. Is that possible?

Just an idea though. It's your hard work and you've done great.

Yeah ideally I wanted to be able to have it completely random and also to click a country and randomise within that country but the logistics of it has escaped me

Again the reload button is awkward to put in and F5 does the same thing really, maybe i'll write that in there somewhere

You've basically described exactly what i'm aiming to get to but the limitations of excel and my own knowledge have prevented it, I dare say the way I've chosen to set it up initially has hamstrung me moving forward

You never know though, i'm always trying to learn new stuff and having a better understanding of excel will actually help with my job

Also the link to the file is there so if anyone with a better knowledge than myself wants to take up the task, any help would be more than welcome, the hardest part is collating the data and the time it takes.  It's all there in the offline version so maybe someone can manipulate it a bit better or make a web based version like the--dud, I don't know

Edited by Brother Ben

On 20/01/2020 at 19:19, anagain said:

Wasn't it Frank the Llama?

17 hours ago, anagain said:

Ahh Frank. I recall the LLama bit. Shame the sub forum on here rather died.

Found a section on fminside. https://fminside.net/guide-lower-league-management/

Lots of tipping in there which kind of goes against the ethos but at least it lays out the other guidelines fairly well

• 2 months later...

Working on a few things for this in FM21, planning to put in predicted league finish and links to directly pick a country and some general aesthetic changes

Hopefully this will evolve over time.  Thanks for the support

• 1 month later...

Great job, @Brother Ben! I gave it a whirl to see how it worked, and I got Chicago Fire in the MLS. Not sure if MLS is lower league....? I clicked it a bunch of other times and then I got various teams that are more suitable. Just thought I'd mention it! :)

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

Great job, @Brother Ben! I gave it a whirl to see how it worked, and I got Chicago Fire in the MLS. Not sure if MLS is lower league....? I clicked it a bunch of other times and then I got various teams that are more suitable. Just thought I'd mention it! :)

It's just the lowest possible league in all the available countries. 

I know what you mean though, a lot of Llamas would avoid USA and Australia really but I didn't want to leave them out.  I think the smaller teams in those leagues might be fair game but it's up to the individual I guess.

I'm working on a version that tells you the media prediction and/or board expectation for each team so you can make your own judgement and it can act as a difficulty level of sorts

Cheers for the feedback  :thup:

The web based version now has a Llama as a mascot but he/she doesn't yet have a name, I wonder if any of you good people can think of one? Maybe based around LLM or Something like that.  I may even just use the picker and call him by whichever team comes up first.

The "Picker" itself will be renamed to this as well so get your thinking caps on

53 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

It's just the lowest possible league in all the available countries. 

I know what you mean though, a lot of Llamas would avoid USA and Australia really but I didn't want to leave them out.  I think the smaller teams in those leagues might be fair game but it's up to the individual I guess.

I'm working on a version that tells you the media prediction and/or board expectation for each team so you can make your own judgement and it can act as a difficulty level of sorts

Cheers for the feedback  :thup:

Yeah, I assumed as much. Just a thought I wanted to share. Looking forward to seeing the newer versions. Let me know if I can help out in any way.

24 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

The web based version now has a Llama as a mascot but he/she doesn't yet have a name, I wonder if any of you good people can think of one? Maybe based around LLM or Something like that.  I may even just use the picker and call him by whichever team comes up first.

The "Picker" itself will be renamed to this as well so get your thinking caps on

Ohh, is Frank back? The old one, back in the day, used to be called that. So perhaps something that calls back to it?

@XaW I'm just seeing what I can do with coding at the minute, this is the first time I've ever tried it.  Pretty heavy going to be fair but interesting stuff.  I've got some ideas for it but I think i'll wait till FM21 for a lot of it.  Cheers for the offer :thup:

Nah this guy ain't Frank, nobody can rival Frank.  This will be a tribute of sorts

3 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

@XaW I'm just seeing what I can do with coding at the minute, this is the first time I've ever tried it.  Pretty heavy going to be fair but interesting stuff.  I've got some ideas for it but I think i'll wait till FM21 for a lot of it.  Cheers for the offer :thup:

Nah this guy ain't Frank, nobody can rival Frank.  This will be a tribute of sorts

No worries! :)

So no Frank jr? :p

6 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Tell you what, click the button and we’ll call it some variation of what comes out :D

ZqbtX6V.png

Not the easiest one!

56 minutes ago, Earnie is God! said:

Is there a significance with the two Llama options?

Good question, I couldn't possibly tell you though as it adds to the mystique :D

To be fair i'm hoping they will become a theme, i'm looking to turn it into a proper website where they will both have personalities.

The long term goals will be to expand on what the excel version does, whereby you get your team and then you go to another page that explains the rules for that league (number of foreign players, league structure etc) and the recommended complementary leagues to run alongside it.  

Maybe in future one of the Llamas will give you teams predicted top half and the other bottom half, a difficulty level of sorts.

• 5 weeks later...

Club Vision/Culture Picker added to the web based version.

It's a little long winded and there's quite a lot of options but it is cool to have a tinker with

When researching this i've noticed there are some nations where this is empty, my guess is that it's because its a new feature and not all researchers have fully explored it, hopefully it will be more fleshed out for FM21

Edited by Brother Ben

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd give this another go and I've given myself a few different options. Mostly ended up with Czech 2nd division sides: Vlasim, Brno, Lisen or Viktoria Zizkov.
Although also have Taftea in Sweden, Real Union in Spain or Kaiserslautern in the German 3rd division.

The Germans probably interest me the most due to their history. Hmm, plenty to ponder.

Thanks again for this wonderful site