How to analyze my squad?

I've been playing the game since 2017 but have never gone into depth analyzing my squad. I always find myself using plug and play tactics instead of using the strengths of my side. I want a save where I actually go into that depth. How do you guys go about analyzing the squad you have and seeing what formation, style of play, and roles to assign to my players? 

8 minutes ago, Falahk said:

Do you have any specific team in mind or should I pick one at random to analyse?

I tend to go for bigger clubs, was thinking about having a go at a team like Arsenal, United, or AC Milan considering that they've fallen of a little bit in recent years

A starting place would be for you to decide whether you want to build a tactic idea in your head and they fit in or build the tactic around them.

The three teams you mention will all have money for you to spend so that gives you more options in the above choices but having the players that suits what you want to do already at the club would allow you more freedom to invest the money into your future plans.

Example being, having a midfield domination tactic with movement and flair as your tactical philosophy and then signing up with United will mean you gotta spend big to realise that dream. Trust me.

Think what you want from them and see it the squad offers those attributes in enough quantity and quality, you know Barca style = tech, Hoof ball wants stamina and work rate and so on.

Good luck with it and have fun...

Edited by Old Joe Clarke
Gonna follow...

Understanding and analysing your team is all about knowing how different attributes affect different match events in the game. There's a basic understanding that you can derive just understanding which attributes are important for phases like, quick counter attack transitions - both defending and attacking. Or how good your defenders are at dealing with crosses, which is one of the most important components because this will influence whether you can play with different defensive widths. When people ask the question "help me analyse my squad" it generally means that perhaps you aren't sure which attributes are key for different phases. There are plenty of sticky threads linked up top where people talk about setting up their teams, using specific DNAs to analyse them and then determine what kind of systems they should use.

The fundamentals of football are simple to understand, and within the game things haven't changed so much that different attributes are now more important. The attributes that were. important in 2015 are still important today. So I suggest reading the stickies.

A good starting point -

Can my team play with narrow defensive width? What does this mean? You will be dealing with crosses. So your defenders need good jumping reach, positioning and anticipation. Can they play wide? This means that your fullbacks and your side midfielders need bravery, tackling and depending on your Defensive line and LOE - acceleration.

So the more important question you should be asking is: What kind of players do I need for different styles of football? If I want to play a joga bonito style of football, even that is possible, it might take a really good team to pull it off.

Then the second part is understanding what attributes will be vital for different units in your team and finally then you can begin analysing your squad. I typically analyse different squads on my twitch stream in under 10 minutes and then proceed to make tactics for them. And I do this every week with a different team so people understand that each team can play in different ways. There are also stickied threads you can refer to.

50 minutes ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

A starting place would be for you to decide whether you want to build a tactic idea in your head and they fit in or build the tactic around them.

The three teams you mention will all have money for you to spend so that gives you more options in the above choices but having the players that suits what you want to do already at the club would allow you more freedom to invest the money into your future plans.

Example being, having a midfield domination tactic with movement and flair as your tactical philosophy and then signing up with United will mean you gotta spend big to realise that dream. Trust me.

Think what you want from them and see it the squad offers those attributes in enough quantity and quality, you know Barca style = tech, Hoof ball wants stamina and work rate and so on.

Good luck with it and have fun...

Ive found in FM20 for your first season you pretty much have to make do with the team you have as the game starts you with all teams business done so other clubs arnt interested in your players in the first window.

So selling players ain't an option and you don't exactly have a budget to build a new sqaud even at top teams (maybe Man City or PSG I don't know ive never been them)

So if recommend creating a tactic with the current sqauds strengths in mind

I'm assuming you're not asking about coaching/scouting/training because that could be a book all by itself. Here's my general process

1) Check the depth chart and figure out which positions I'm strongest in

2) Identify my 3 or 4 star players. The best ones that might be worth building a tactic around. What style would benefit them the most? Do you have a good crosser as an AM and a Target Man? Maybe you have really strong midfield passing and vision? That kind of thing. 

3) Put your 3 or 4 best players into a tactic (I sometimes do this on paper) and figure out what kind of formation this says you should play. You'd like your best players playing in their more natural positions (IMO). You might also identify positions that you're particularly weak in to avoid as well.

Example: You've identified a RB (CWB-A), a AMR (IF-S) a S (Poacher) and a DM (DLP-D) as your very best players. With these, you could play a 41221 just fine or maybe even a 4231DM (or Assym with 1 DM). You probably don't want to play a formation with wingbacks because of the space compression between the WBR and the AMR. And whether you play a 41221 or a 4231 will likely depend on the quality of your available AMCs. If you have a strong AMC then opt for the latter but if you have a lack of AMCs, maybe the former will work. Alternatively, you could also play a 4222 (with DMs and AML/R) with these players. Again, depending on if you have another DM and another Striker that are worth fielding. 

4) Once you figure out the 1-2 formations you think will work, identify where your weakest place is overall in that formation. 

5) Are their youngsters with potential for those positions? Can you afford the hit to short term performance to let them play? Young players develop pretty rapidly and you can add half-1 star with regular playing time. So if you've got a really hot prospect, it's worth considering. 

6) Assuming you don't have any youngsters then it's time to scout (quickly... that first transfer window comes quick in most leagues) to fill those holes.

Again, continuing the example, Let's say you opt to go with a 4222 (2xDM/AML/AMR) because your MC options are non-existent and you have a pretty good second DMC and Striker. You've identified AML and CB as some areas of concern. You have a decent CB and a really strong youth prospect (1.5 stars but 4-5 stars potential). Your AML options are all aging and "okay" but none are good (all are 2-2.5 stars and don't really have the crossing/dribbling you want). 

I'd go looking for some younger (20-25) AMLs with decent stats that can improve you as well as maybe an older CB (some random 30 year old 3 star CB would be perfect) that won't be bothered by being a squad player so you can develop that youth player.

---

Anyways... that's pretty much the process I run through. Hope that helps.