FM20 Brentford Team Guide - The Bees Are Buzzing

57 dakika önce, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I would just see what your scouts suggest, there is plenty of threads on here if you want to see what players people suggest.

İ will respond with picture and scour report im not at home i will give answer:)

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 saat önce, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I would just see what your scouts suggest, there is plenty of threads on here if you want to see what players people suggest.

image.thumb.png.05d2c79c8f5c48f344e97898031c7a0e.pngimage.thumb.png.48a04954008f70df3f7cc405d05e21c7.pngAs you see they both seem as ınverted wingers not forwards but ı play mbuemo as forward the maın problem ıs poor form :)

2 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

I'm eager to start a new save with The Bees! Like to transfer policy they use.

That is what I liked about Brentford and that is what inspired me to create this thread in the first place, feel free to read the links I posted in the opening post on this thread to get your head around their approach to recruitment.

Well I just realised my last Brentford play time and update in here was back on 16th January when I reached the end of August. At that point I had risen to 14th in the table after starting off with just one point from my first four league games. Since then, things have taken a much better turn, and after ending August on the up, I have now enjoyed a short but successful September with four straight wins. One of those was a surprising home win over a full strength Crystal Palace in the Carabao Cup 3rd Round (the 4th Round sees a tricky road trip to face Everton at Goodison Park). This run of league wins sees my side now sitting in a much more healthy 7th spot after 9 league games. Here is a recap of the results since the season started, along with the graph showing the improvement since the shocking start. The form of lone striker Watkins has been tremendous, with Benrahma also playing a considerable role having switched to the right after dropping a disappointing Mbeumo and slotting Eze in to the starting line-up as an advanced play-maker just left of centre in my asymmetrical formation.

971200078_Brentford_Fixtures1.2.thumb.png.451423de006d6a3b4fca5d2c91fc3e1d.png

828974195_Brentfordprogress1.2.thumb.png.24370cbcb520af19821af69620273b5a.png

14 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Well I just realised my last Brentford play time and update in here was back on 16th January when I reached the end of August. At that point I had risen to 14th in the table after starting off with just one point from my first four league games. Since then, things have taken a much better turn, and after ending August on the up, I have now enjoyed a short but successful September with four straight wins. One of those was a surprising home win over a full strength Crystal Palace in the Carabao Cup 3rd Round (the 4th Round sees a tricky road trip to face Everton at Goodison Park). This run of league wins sees my side now sitting in a much more healthy 7th spot after 9 league games. Here is a recap of the results since the season started, along with the graph showing the improvement since the shocking start. The form of lone striker Watkins has been tremendous, with Benrahma also playing a considerable role having switched to the right after dropping a disappointing Mbeumo and slotting Eze in to the starting line-up as an advanced play-maker just left of centre in my asymmetrical formation.

971200078_Brentford_Fixtures1.2.thumb.png.451423de006d6a3b4fca5d2c91fc3e1d.png

828974195_Brentfordprogress1.2.thumb.png.24370cbcb520af19821af69620273b5a.png

Looking good so far Jogo, shame about Mbeumo as he done really well for me.

I played Mbeumo upfront as an advanced forward, have you tried him in that role up front ?

Just recently picked up FM20, going to go with Brentford as my first save. Massive Ollie Watkins fan and Benrahma looks exciting from what I have seen over the past few weeks irl. 

Let’s hope it doesn’t completely fail :D

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Looking good so far Jogo, shame about Mbeumo as he done really well for me.

I played Mbeumo upfront as an advanced forward, have you tried him in that role up front ?

I haven't because Watkins plays that role very well for me. Mbeumo will have to improve whenever and wherever I play him, or he stays on the bench.

4 minutes ago, Ryan377 said:

Just recently picked up FM20, going to go with Brentford as my first save. Massive Ollie Watkins fan and Benrahma looks exciting from what I have seen over the past few weeks irl. 

Good luck, they are my two star players so far.

29 minutes ago, Ryan377 said:

Good luck on your save, feel free to post your progress in here and if you need any advice then don't hesitate in asking.

@Jogo Bonito How are you going about recruitment, are you doing it how Brentford do in real life.

I am going to start a new Brentford save tonight and I have got some filters when it comes to searching for players.

Just curious what stats you are looking at when you recruit players.

After reading a few more articles I have learnt more about their recruitment process and they usually buy from England lower leagues, French lower leagues and Scandinavia so they will be the 3 areas I will be signing players from.

@Jogo Bonito @Welshace Do you know of any good cheap players from Lower leagues of France that I can buy and then sell on for profit like they did with Maupay and probably will do with Mbeumo eventually.

I would ask you about Scandinavian players but I know there is a thread for them already.

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

4 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Ligue 2 is a gold mine @Ronaldo Beckham ... but it can get quite pricey! .. but then again, Mbuemo was reportedly 5-6 milllion...

xIni7Hk.png

HLDOAL2.png

IUDzPso.png

Here's my favourite though, posted him in the gems thread i think...

SwpRrRp.png

And this guy, not so much a good player.. just the best name ever :D

WGs4tPW.png

Thank you @Welshace I will try bring these in asap, thank you, I knew I could count on you and Bradley Danger is the best name for a footballer ever.

Also @Welshace what facepack do you use, can you post the link of where you got them in here please if possible.

20 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Thank you @Welshace I will try bring these in asap, thank you, I knew I could count on you and Bradley Danger is the best name for a footballer ever.

Also @Welshace what facepack do you use, can you post the link of where you got them in here please if possible.

Its the standard cut-out megapack from sortitoutsi  https://sortitoutsi.net/graphics/style/1/cut-out-player-faces , but i've had it since fm17 and have just added my own to any missing ones, so god knows how many have been added.

7 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Its the standard cut-out megapack from sortitoutsi  https://sortitoutsi.net/graphics/style/1/cut-out-player-faces , but i've had it since fm17 and have just added my own to any missing ones, so god knows how many have been added.

If you ever want to turn it into your own megapack and release then please let me know mate as you seem to have a lot of players faces that not many packs would have.

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

If you ever want to turn it into your own megapack and release then please let me know mate as you seem to have a lot of players faces that not many packs would have.

oh most of my own a fairly rough, wouldn't wish them upon anyone else, but they are fairly easy to do if you ever need one yourself.

Just now, Welshace said:

oh most of my own a fairly rough, wouldn't wish them upon anyone else, but they are fairly easy to do if you ever need one yourself.

Ok no worries, I had to redownload all of my graphics after the ME update come out as it took forever to boot up FM until I deleted my graphics which never caused an issue before.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Ok no worries, I had to redownload all of my graphics after the ME update come out as it took forever to boot up FM until I deleted my graphics which never caused an issue before.

You don't know how much that sentence pains me mate...  i live in the back end of nowhere so my internet speeds mean it would take me around a week to download all my graphics back, with no exaggeration at all there i promise you

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

You don't know how much that sentence pains me mate...  i live in the back end of nowhere so my internet speeds mean it would take me around a week to download all my graphics back, with no exaggeration at all there i promise you

I am just annoyed with Sega/Sigames for making the graphics unable to work and then you got to download them again etc.

5 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

@Jogo Bonito How are you going about recruitment, are you doing it how Brentford do in real life.

I am going to start a new Brentford save tonight and I have got some filters when it comes to searching for players.

Just curious what stats you are looking at when you recruit players.

After reading a few more articles I have learnt more about their recruitment process and they usually buy from England lower leagues, French lower leagues and Scandinavia so they will be the 3 areas I will be signing players from.

I only signed Shandon Baptiste (because I knew they wanted to IRL and had nearly done so before), Ebere Eze from QPR because I like him and wanted to manage him, and Paul Kalambayi from AFC Wimbledon as a 4th choice central defender (also has HGC status). I don't use scouts or stats, I just target players I know of or like that seem appropriate for whatever club I am managing.

I'm fairly sure others managing Brentford will follow their true recruitment process closer than me in FM, but if I was you I would be looking at English lower leagues and the Nordic region particularly. They do sign some players from France, but some of the Danes came from other clubs in Europe, and they have bought from Poland and Holland too. The stats model identifies players they can buy at the right age and value that they feel will improve and can be sold on. If they go up, it will be interesting to see how they adapt that. 

@Welshace I managed to sign Said Arab who I sent on loan to Forest Green and also signed Yoel Armougam will be rotatation as left back with Rico Henry.

image.thumb.png.7ec13ea88d03f5b2af1c37d1364edf0d.png

image.thumb.png.7e278b9651aa40b42fd6ebaf453b635c.png

I also signed a central defender called Jean-Charles Castelleto who has 1 cap with Cameroon and looks a right decent player

image.thumb.png.3088b21147254312e21dd4a78b6f5bf8.png 

@Jogo Bonito I tried to go for Baptiste but Oxford wanted 14m for him

5 minutes ago, Welshace said:

As I expected, Brentford have had a fair bump to some of their players...  though i may get some wrong here...

SJ6IS2L.png

pixBJ28.png

cre3xpF.png

frVk6cO.png

Look like they have had a decent upgrade.

I only started a new Brentford save 2 days a go but since they have released a new update I am going to start it again and post updates in here.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Look like they have had a decent upgrade.

I only started a new Brentford save 2 days a go but since they have released a new update I am going to start it again and post updates in here.

Baptiste starts with an injury for 3 to 6 weeks fyi

45 minutes ago, Ryan377 said:

Looks like I'll start my Brentford save again :D

Me too - just setting up the staff changes. There seem to be many fewer decent coaches, physios and others available at the start than there used to be. Also watch out during wage negotiations - everyone sticks in a 50% promotion increase, which will kill you if you win promotion :eek:. I've negotiated a few down to 35% but some I had to settle for 40%, which is still too high, IMHO.

21 minutes ago, warlock said:

Me too - just setting up the staff changes. There seem to be many fewer decent coaches, physios and others available at the start than there used to be. Also watch out during wage negotiations - everyone sticks in a 50% promotion increase, which will kill you if you win promotion :eek:. I've negotiated a few down to 35% but some I had to settle for 40%, which is still too high, IMHO.

Dont suggest terms! they always lock in clauses like that, i just offer them a bit more than i expect them to accept with no clauses.

The squad at Brentford us fantastic and the u23 squad has so much potential in it, especially after the update.

Struggling to find anyone worth signing, other than youth prospects after scouring the depths of Scandinavia.

It would be a shame to replace any of the existing squad, right away so I'll mostly be signing young prospects, I think.

1 minute ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

The squad at Brentford us fantastic and the u23 squad has so much potential in it, especially after the update.

Struggling to find anyone worth signing, other than youth prospects after scouring the depths of Scandinavia.

It would be a shame to replace any of the existing squad, right away so I'll mostly be signing young prospects, I think.

Yeah I have bought a few in but most of them for the future, I have tried to send as many youth prospects on loan as possible.

I am also slowly improving the youth facilities, youth recruitment etc, even though it aint the Brentford way I am doing it to be conscious of HG rules and also if I get any decent young players I am happy to sell them on for profit.

I have just fired up a new Brentford save after the winter update. I couldn't resist! Especially since I'm a fellow Scandinavian. :D

However, considering Brentford's youth level at the start of the game have you all kept the U23 staff for the future or have you let them all go and decided just to hire new ones when eventually the youth level and youth teams are back? I will send all the youth players that can't make the first team squad out on loan.

Cheers!

Edited by SwedenYid

I may have missed it in my earlier Brentford save but I noticed last night that with the update FM now replicates Brentford's real-world setup of A- and B-teams (although it's still called u23 in game) with no u18 squad. Instead, there's a youth candidate squad, which is empty at the start and presumably will populate with the youth intake in the spring.

1 hour ago, SwedenYid said:

have you all kept the U23 staff

I'd say yes, because you'll still have a u23 squad that needs managing and coaching but, more importantly, u23 manager and coaches are all available for 1st team coaching, which is a big benefit.

1 hour ago, SwedenYid said:

when eventually the youth level and youth teams are back

I'm not planning on returning to a youth setup. It's completely contrary to the Brentford approach, and I don't see much point in managing them in FM if you're just going to turn them into a standard club. But each to their own :)

Brentford Update

I am enjoying my 3rd attempt with Brentford on FM2020.

I am trying to focus on young, unknown players and players that have really good stats more so then good attributes.

I am currently 3rd in the league at the end of November.

image.thumb.png.42243b317d9dc002c04775f2a26e7c11.png

Marucs Forss has surprised me a lot by getting 6 goals in 7 starts and 5 sub appearances.

image.thumb.png.a3a2eb772e173393c03b890373618609.png

Ollie Watkins also contributing with 6 goals in 15 games but I would like him to get more goals and also try harder in training.

image.thumb.png.b301d3629f1c9dc72e41365c7131d3d5.png

Rico Henry has the best average rating and works hard for the team, he seems to pick up a lot of small injuries though which is concerning.

image.thumb.png.d7e8730e2fa3827bb389b3076fff26b7.png7

Now onto transfers as I know @Welshace will like this lol.

So first of all transfers out, I know this squad well enough after this being my 3rd save so it was easy for me who to get rid of.

I sold Mokotjo to Stoke for £1.8m, Henrik Dalsgaard was decent in previous Brentford saves for me but he is 29 at the start of the save and I got 5m for him from Ulsan so was worth selling him. I tried to get a buyer for Nikos Karelis but no takers so he went on loan to Birmingham.

Now transfers in, thanks to suggestions from @Welshace I signed Enzo Le Fee for 1.5m who I then sent on loan to Swansea, he has played 11 games, got 2 goals and 2 assists so he will get more 1st team football for Brenford when he comes back.

image.thumb.png.54702259ae3d95f33d64e98b5c5bb11b.png

Said Arab was signed for 3.5m which was a bit pricy I thought but I took the chance, I sent him on loan to Salford and he has made 7 appearances with 1 goal and 1 assist so far, I think I will send him on loan again but to a better rep team to see if he can make the step up.

image.thumb.png.07b5f1ea3520c9b9dace5c56f59a4671.png

Yoel Armougom was bought in for 2m from Caen as back up to Henry, he has done well when needed, he has made  6 appearances and has a decent overall average rating of 6.80.

image.thumb.png.d4279bb91048d8ed6826b5c6f9144994.png

Other signings I made were Jean Charles Castelletto a Cameroon centre defender I signed for 1.3m, he has done well for me with 5 appearances and has improved slighty in training.

image.thumb.png.7e1e761d6d6072ade7ba2f473dc05500.png

I signed Elba Rashani which I think @Welshace reccomended in a different thread, he hasn't played for my first team yet but has got 8 goals in 8 games for my reserves so I might give him a run out after Xmas.

image.thumb.png.3123bb81d3c678b5872d2e7c816eda0f.png

I also took a chance on Duarte Valente signed for £1m from Estoril, he is a ball winning midfielder which is what I needed with my tactics I use. I aint happy about some of his attributes but he is young and will hopefully get better.

image.thumb.png.3ce41b3b25ee92135ef723237bc96f5d.png

Other signings were Nicolas Garmendia and Marco Fabian on freebies, Beni Baningime, Olivier Batista Meir & Sergio Dest on loan and signed a young striker called Ricky Jade-Jones from Peterborough for 150k.

This is the tactic I use

image.thumb.png.912d3c75a5827a912d010499206ad7a7.png

This is my squad based on highest average rating

image.thumb.png.4e168d2e028a2356be757fa184e4bf34.png

I will do another update on Sunday as by then I should have finished the season.

51 minutes ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

dbea585b78c82f5f23cfb639bc29d74de1f710d7

064842afbfd8f0d245973dbe7b2849223c4e3971

Thinking of bringing this guy in as the only summer addition.

Looks like a great DLP (D) but I'm really worried about the "Doesn't feel confident playing in big matches"

Almost perfect other than that.

He looks good, I just put a bid for him so will let you know if he works out or not.

8 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Jimmy signed a new contract with a new release clause of 2.2m so I will try again in the summber.

Ok thanks, here's a little spoiler for you, I decided to sign him in the end, however I'm only a few games in to the season, so time will have to tell with regards to Jimmy.

8 hours ago, roganp said:

Went to the game against Blackburn today and it’s got me motivated to get a save going with the Bee’s on the new update. Will update progress in here!

I would of won 100 quid if Brentford won today lol, I had them and Chelsea to win and Both teams to score in both of those games grrr lol.

6 hours ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

Ok thanks, here's a little spoiler for you, I decided to sign him in the end, however I'm only a few games in to the season, so time will have to tell with regards to Jimmy.

Will be good to see how he does for you.

Brentford Season 1 Review

So I managed to win the Championship title with 104 points and 30 league wins.

image.thumb.png.6bb7d8d5a6eda2d2f53bdb7a46894944.png 

image.thumb.png.121b0011f8a9c38654b57d25c77e59da.png

Ollie Watkins was my top scorer with 17 goals, Josh Dasilva had the best average rating and Sergino Dest my on loan right back got the most assists with 10.

image.thumb.png.1b04f09d67b86f5e0599f244c970a54e.png

image.thumb.png.78007898c089cd4874f579f18f785a33.png

I really like the look of Marcus Forss, 10 goals in 11 games and 12 sub appearances, I think I might try him up front more often.

image.thumb.png.e18b02f2df621de876a70cd24749ecb8.png

image.thumb.png.e234fd8043594ec78c904b2e519449bb.png

Here is my tactic I have been using all season.

image.thumb.png.cdb8569a1ca10dd16d28b67783ffa44f.png

January Transfers

I signed a few players in January who had good stats or highly recommended by my scouts and data analysts.

Stand out signings were Moussa Sylla who I signed for £1.5m from Monaco, he made a few sub appearances but is a good back up for Watkins and Forss.

image.thumb.png.23f941346976f3c641555a99f4446ace.png

Bradley Danger from Avalanches for £160k, hasn't played any first team football but has been good for my reserves playing 12 games, scoring 4 goals as well.

image.thumb.png.880c224c48d15949d65924c9c6a3536a.png

I signed Ayman Azhil for £14k from Bayer Leverkusen, he is 4 star potential so with the right training and game time he could be a bargain for £14k, He has done well for my reserves so far and will play him in a few cup games next season.

image.thumb.png.1f962472fb96c4365372f4a6fcc080a9.png

My DOF signed John Bjorkengren from Falkenbergs FF for £550k, he has fitted into my first team nicely in centre of midfield as a Ball Winning Midfielder. He has 3 stars current ability and 4 and half star potential so another shrewd signing.

image.thumb.png.c880290c2f78603a09a04b9378c5cea4.png

Transfers out were mostly players out on loan who wanted more first team football, I sent Baptiste to Millwall, Castelletto went to Blackburn,Cole Dasilva went to Salford, Joel Valencia went to Preston and Julian Jeanvier went to Middlesborough all on loan.

I sold Fosu for £500k, Oksannen for £100k and Marcondes went on loan for 100k a month to Notts Forrest.

I will be updating tomorrow when I have done my summer transfer business for my first season in the Premier League.

image.png

Brentford Season 2 Midway Update

I am currently 10th in the league after 17 games played, I have got 24 points so hopefully I will stay up if the form carries on the way it is going.

image.thumb.png.b30c65d7dd026c51adeef8d0e11bbd07.png7

I just posted about this player in the hidden gems but I want to post him in here.

Torles Knoll, signed for £1.5m from Numberg.

Playing as an advanced he has scored 10 goals in 10 games so far, amazing form for the lad, I am well chuffed about him as I scouted him for 6 months after he was doing well last season when he was on loan to a German lower league team. He initially was signed as back up to Watkins but he ousted Watkins out of the side very quickly and aint stopped scoring.

image.thumb.png.e2b113b139ad2fa4e6a57d5f1826df57.png

Another good signing has been Yukinari Sugawara, a Japanese right back signed for £5m from AZ, has been very consistent for me and likes to get forward. 

image.thumb.png.7e0e0756a308e877d87932e5eee852c2.png

The next player I will mention is one people will probably of before if they have managed Lyon, his name is Martin Terrier I signed for £10m, he has played on the left wing mostly and has done well in that position. he has 3 goals and 2 assists in 15 games played.

image.thumb.png.ea7b1e367d63038036e26f74bbe68c9d.png

My next signing is a player called Oscar Clemente, I signed him from Athletico Madrid for £4m, he has done well just behind Knoll, he has only got 1 assist and no goals but he works hard and has decent matching ratings whenever he has played, I was expecting more from him when it comes to goals as he got 12 goals and 15 assists for Athletico Madrid B team last season but he will get there eventually I think.

I have made some other signings but they have mostly got out on loan to get experience.

Season 1, November

We got off to a good start to the season, although a series of early draws allowed Fulham, Leeds and Bristol City to open up a gap ahead of us in the table. Gradually we've managed to cut that back, although Fulham - as they often seem to this year - just keep on winning. Only the away draw at struggling Barnsley rankles - we just didn't turn up and were lucky to salvage a point with an 87th minute equaliser. We also enjoyed a decent run in the Carabao Cup, beating the board requirement by reaching the 4th round where we came up against a superior Leicester side, but at least that tie netted us a decent payday.

toM2pAbl.png?1

Going into the arduous winter period we remain undefeated in the league, but that is only good enough to secure us 3nd place behind Fulham and Bristol City, those early draws costing us important points.

TMSBzmml.png?1

Brian Mbeuno leads the scoring chart with 6 in 6(5) appearances, followed by CBs Pontus Jansson and Julian Jeanvier with 3 apiece, which underscores the prevalence of set-piece goals in this ME. Providing the most assists have been Joel Valencia playing as W-a at AMR, and Mathias Jensen as Mez-A at CML. Biggest disappointment has been Ollie Watkins who has failed to impress as either an AM or striker, providing just 2 assists in 9 starts for an average rating of 6.6.

Edited by warlock

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Season 1, November

We got off to a good start to the season, although a series of early draws allowed Fulham, Leeds and Bristol City to open up a gap ahead of us in the table. Gradually we've managed to cut that back, although Fulham - as they often seem to this year - just keep on winning. Only the away draw at struggling Barnsley rankles - we just didn't turn up and were lucky to salvage a point with an 87th minute equaliser. We also enjoyed a decent run in the Carabao Cup, beating the board requirement by reaching the 4th round where we came up against a superior Leicester side, but at least that tie netted us a decent payday.

toM2pAbl.png?1

Going into the arduous winter period we remain undefeated in the league, but that is only good enough to secure us 3nd place behind Fulham and Bristol City, those early draws costing us important points.

TMSBzmml.png?1

Brian Mbeuno leads the scoring chart with 6 in 6(5) appearances, followed by CBs Pontus Jansson and Julian Jeanvier, which underscores the prevalence of set-piece goals in this ME. Providing the most assists have been Joel Valencia playing as W-a at AMR, and Mathias Jensen as Mez-A at CML. Biggest disappointment has been Ollie Watkins who has failed to impress as either an AM or striker, providing just 2 assists in 9 starts for an average rating of 6.6.

Nice to see Mbeumo banging a few goals for you so far.

Brentford Season 2 Review

In my first season in the Prem I managed to get 8th place which was really good for a team who has never been in the Premiership before.

image.thumb.png.9b8cbd325430bc40f234145b45212db4.png

Torles Knoll my bargain striker managed to get 17 goals in 28 games and 10 sub appearances, he would of got a few more but was injured for 4 weeks just as he was hitting form. He also had the best average rating.

image.thumb.png.deacf0462ca214979ff6f87dae83a465.png

In the Premiership I won 16 games and got 54 points, Chelsea and Arsenal the 2 teams above me had 69 points so a 15 point lead on me, I lost 16 games so I lost as many games as I won so I am going to try strengthen my defense for next season. 

image.thumb.png.68633f443790f1e648b8aced6fcc4aaf.png

image.thumb.png.d826caac368ee943d9ba6ddcd3373ca6.png

Shandon Baptiste was voted by player of the year with 34%.

image.thumb.png.c0139b1a83d3cc649f31d19ae6d5ec72.png

image.thumb.png.f703fa178eb3500ad96cf58dd18ed022.png

39 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I managed to get 8th place

Brilliant first season up in the PL. You and Chelsea were certainly "best of the rest". To me, that gap in GD is more noticeable than the gap in points. Either you're not scoring enough, conceding too many, or both. An improvement at either end of the pitch has got to be positive.