[FM20] Iron Curtain - In hindsight everything is 2020 (Released)

The World Youth Championship is clearly not my best work. The issue with the non-U20 teams is now clear. It happens when the Toulon tournament is played at the same time. A bit oops.... I need to check the calender for that one.

But there is a bit more to fix, so that will fill the Friday and possibly Saturday as well.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And finally the Olympic Games file.

Here it is the same as with the World Cup file. Some fixing is needed, but just a quiet evening of work and it should be done.

I will need Thursday, Friday, Saturday and maybe a bit of Sunday for fixes, but I am feeling confident I will be able to send the files out in a decent shape. The fact that the Olympics and World Cup now run well, makes me happy.

So with that, unless something weird turns up, I expect to send out the beta files on Sundayevening!

:)

I'm not the biggest graphics designer in the world, but whenever there isn't a digitalised logo for a team (on in the case where there was a version of the logo from a pin that was a lot nicer than the one available online), I've been trying to recreate the logo from pin, pendants, current logo of the team, etc. A few examples:

chemiesandersdorf.pngfortschrittmalchow.pnglsglichtenberg.pngmotorplauen.png

4 minuti fa, Reiver ha scritto:

I'm not the biggest graphics designer in the world, but whenever there isn't a digitalised logo for a team (on in the case where there was a version of the logo from a pin that was a lot nicer than the one available online), I've been trying to recreate the logo from pin, pendants, current logo of the team, etc. A few examples:

chemiesandersdorf.pngfortschrittmalchow.pnglsglichtenberg.pngmotorplauen.png

great work Reiver! 

would really be nice to create a catalogue of all eastern european clubs name changes and logos. 

23 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Some feedback on the World Cup. The 2034 World keeps being hosted by Uruguay. Did someone say hardcoded....? I have a fix for it, which involves moving some hosts around and then it should be good. The World Cup itself runs without issues, with all finals taking place at the expected dates and not a single delay!

The European, South American and Oceanian qualifiers are done.

The North American qualifiers needs proper fixture dates, because I found out the World Cup host is added to the qualifier as well. When that is fixed, North America is done (easy fix btw).

Asia and Africa have issues in the sense that some of the losing teams from the first round are added to the second round as lucky losers. They don't replace any other team btw, so no issue there. I need to check if any team is left out, but if that isn't the case, the beta will contain the lucky losers as a known issue.

Apart from Asia and Africa I am quite happy. This should be doable to fix and finish tomorrow.

Thursdaynight is fixing night. Still need to test, obviously, but that will be tomorrow during work ;)

World Cup update

• By switching Morocco with Uruguay, Uruguay with Colombia and Colombia with Morocco, I have fixed my hosting issue. It almost looks like a hardcoded thing.
  • The North American qualifiers have been fixed as well, by setting up the first rounds Groups better. It seems that if you tell a group stage groups can contain 3 or 4 teams, the game will ignore that, while, if you set the teamnumbers per specific group, the game accepts that.
  • I improved the Asian qualifiers slightly. They are not yet as I want them to be, but they are a bit better now. Stiill the lucky loser in it, like with Africa, but I noticed a few nations being left out, which should now be fixed.

I might have found a fix for the lucky loser problem as well, but as always that is a matter of testing and seeing if it works. Fingers crossed!

I would also be interested in contributing 80's logos to this project. I'd be most interested in starting on the USSR, Yugoslavia, and England, but I want to be sure I'm not repeating logos already made, so please advise on if this would be helpful.

USSR would be helpful. Not sure how much is already in the game, but the Armenian, Azeri, Georgian, Kazak, Uzbek top teams do not have logos as far as I know.

Quick check on my HD confirms the above remark. After beta release I will make a better selection, so people can pick things up if they want.

I am about halfway the changes needed for the World Youth Championship. Changes for Olympics have been made as well. Just the World Cup in test right now. Tomorrow will see testing for the Olympics, maybe some final fixes for the World Cup (hopefully not!).

My fix for the lucky loser problem has improved the situation, but not fixed it completely. However, if the issue now is whether one or two nations are added to the next round, for me that is good enough for now.

Tomorrow finishing the last fixes on the World Youth Championship. the fixture dates of the African U20 Championship and I need to decide whether to rearrange the U20 championship to a later date (if the calender allows for it). That should be a relative quick edit actually. And after that, another testrun while I am stripping a few rooms of wallpaper.

In the meantime I am preparing the installation and other notes. For those with Macs and Linux, I am a Windows only user and don't have a clue where to put the files on Apple or Linux, so I hope my notes are clear enough to get you going ;)

On 29/04/2021 at 15:23, MBarbaric said:

great work Reiver! 

would really be nice to create a catalogue of all eastern european clubs name changes and logos. 

Like the idea. Would be great to get a catalogue together for posterity before they all disappear! Happy to get involved.

2 ore fa, Jekermesh ha scritto:

Like the idea. Would be great to get a catalogue together for posterity before they all disappear! Happy to get involved.

at the times i was doing iron curtain, i found this obscure website incredibly helpful as they have historical logos for clubs that participated in the european competitions. It isn't complete as obviously not all eastern european clubs played continental competitions, but there are tons of gems in there.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/clubs/index.html   you can directly check the country (i.e. Czechoslovakia), see all the clubs (that participated...) and check if there is an old logo. 

Edited by MBarbaric

9 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

USSR would be helpful. Not sure how much is already in the game, but the Armenian, Azeri, Georgian, Kazak, Uzbek top teams do not have logos as far as I know.

Quick check on my HD confirms the above remark. After beta release I will make a better selection, so people can pick things up if they want.

I can get these specific logos, but for example the Armenian Premier Division was intended to have 10 teams in 2019/20 at game start, of which 7 were founded after 1990. How are these teams being handled in the DB?

7 minuti fa, levigu ha scritto:

I can get these specific logos, but for example the Armenian Premier Division was intended to have 10 teams in 2019/20 at game start, of which 7 were founded after 1990. How are these teams being handled in the DB?

i hope they have been deleted in oblivion :D 

They haven't (there wouldn't be much left in Armenia or Azerbaijan in that case.....), but as most of them are at level 3 anyway they drown in the big swamp of Soviet clubs trying to get to level 2. No way you will find them. Since Armenia had a habit of having Phoenix clubs based on older teams, some have been renamed as well.

Funnily enough, one of the more succesfull teams is called Phoenix, or Pyunik in Armenian. Coincidence? Nah.... ;)

But I agree, it is annoying. I wish the database had more of the old teams, but the default database hasn't and the internet isn't too willing to give information either. I have found that the Polish football wiki pages are rather good if you need information btw. So you might want to check those for logos as well.

Edit: Just a thought, maybe I need to dig out all my old FM files and see for old teams, maybe there is more history to be found there? I have seen differences between in Germany for instance. Ah well, that's for later.

OK, people, read until the end before you start screaming ;)

Tomorrow the beta will be send out. After that I will take a step back to let the beta testers enjoy their files. That means I won't do much for the next week, except for looking through the feedback the beta testers send me.

I have a to do list with data stuff to do like financials, affiliations and other things I need to look up, which I will pick up the 10th and work through afterwards. The list is not even that long actually

So that brings me to release day :)

The latest date I will release the final product is June 25th 2021. You might understand why that specific date in June. If not, you are downloading the wrong mod :D

However......, the earlier I am satisfied with my own shenanigans and fixing the issues the beta testers will report, the earlier it will be released, so a May release could be possible (no promises though ;) ).

5 minuti fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

The latest date I will release the final product is June 25th 2021. You might understand why that specific date in June. If not, you are downloading the wrong mod

Striker Mario Kempes scores 2 goals as Argentina beats the Netherlands, 3-1 after extra time in 1978 World Cup :D 

great news I say. can't wait to download it.

Edited by MBarbaric

29 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

Striker Mario Kempes scores 2 goals as Argentina beats the Netherlands, 3-1 after extra time in 1978 World Cup :D 

:herman:

6 minutes ago, Jekermesh said:

I'm guessing Netherlands beat USSR in the Euro's with THAT van Basten goal...

Also, without the goal I would have counted the answer ;)

9 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

They haven't (there wouldn't be much left in Armenia or Azerbaijan in that case.....), but as most of them are at level 3 anyway they drown in the big swamp of Soviet clubs trying to get to level 2. No way you will find them. Since Armenia had a habit of having Phoenix clubs based on older teams, some have been renamed as well.

Funnily enough, one of the more succesfull teams is called Phoenix, or Pyunik in Armenian. Coincidence? Nah.... ;)

But I agree, it is annoying. I wish the database had more of the old teams, but the default database hasn't and the internet isn't too willing to give information either. I have found that the Polish football wiki pages are rather good if you need information btw. So you might want to check those for logos as well.

Edit: Just a thought, maybe I need to dig out all my old FM files and see for old teams, maybe there is more history to be found there? I have seen differences between in Germany for instance. Ah well, that's for later.

You should use RSSSF. Check this out if it helps you. Only down to third level though. 

http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/su88.html

48 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

You should use RSSSF. Check this out if it helps you. Only down to third level though. 

http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/su88.html

Rsssf is always open when I am working on competitions. The reason I referred to older version of FM is because it helps me set up the clubs in FM format. Wikipedia and rsssf are for a part also mostly opinion, although rsssf is much better than wikipedia on that point.

The flags from the first post have been turned into a little graphics pack that will be added to the beta files tomorrow. Base work is from the Iron Curtain mod and I reworked some of the flags.

Only one that doesn't want to change is the flag for Zaire. I have it the same way in the files as the European flags, but the flag doesn't work for some reason.

Edit: Looking at the flags, there is some more work. Many more changes than expected!

• Mauritania is different since a few years (slyly opening the graphics file for FM16, noone will notice :D )
  • Libya (that should be easy ;) )
  • Myanmar/Burma, that one is actually in the FM20 graphics file
  • Iraq
  • Lesotho
  • Venezuela (there is a difference, but I had to look twice)
  • Comoros
  • Bahrain
  • Afghanistan
  • Rwanda (since the new flag was adopted after the 1994 genocide, changing this back could be sensitive)
  • Tuvualu, removing ONE star..... Why....?
  • Ethiopia, central disc changed color and got bigger on the new version
  • Seychelles
  • Oman, the central stripe got widened
  • South Africa, another one that is controversial considering the history behind. Also, NEVER ask me to do the South African competition in 1988 style, NEVER.
  • Cambodia
  • Mongolia
  • Brazil, yes, adding four stars. I don't think we would even spot it if SI never changed that (they did btw).
  • Cape Verde (gives Guinea-Bissau vibes which is no surprise as the plan once was to unite the countries after independence).
  • Congo (the other Congo was rather revolutionary at the time).
  • Dominica, literally lighter green stars, that's it
  • South Yemen, it has a shield currently in the game
  • North Yemen. adding a green star seems doable

This might be something to enjoy myself with if I have time.

14 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

The latest date I will release the final product is June 25th 2021. You might understand why that specific date in June. If not, you are downloading the wrong mod :D

In that case, can you release it on the 22th to celebrate DDR victory over their german cousins during WC74 ? :D

2 hours ago, yanloup64 said:

In that case, can you release it on the 22th to celebrate DDR victory over their german cousins during WC74 ? :D

I will keep that in mind for the German viewers :D

Wrapping up the files at the moment and going to start sending soon. Hopefully the board doesn't jump in red alert because of the load of files (it is a 4,3Mb zipfile...).

The BETA has been send out!! For those who are about to game, I salute you! :D

I will keep an eye on the thread the coming days, but probably will be a less talkative. Just some reloading batteries, do research and relax,

For the beta testers, I mentioned you can't use name fixes and with that I mean the Real name fixes, as I have done name fixes in the database

However, there is a certain fix for the West German national team though. you are free to use (or not use) as you feel fit.

Just spent about 15 minutes looking at the Paxator Toshkent team thinking "they could potentially play some really expansive football"....was when I realised I needed to sleep on it and try again tomorrow. Also - and mean this in a jokey way - I love how the Yugoslavia team is basically Jan Oblak, Josef Illicic and the Croatia team. No doubt it will change with a few years of regens but it did make me smile. 

10 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

For the beta testers, I mentioned you can't use name fixes and with that I mean the Real name fixes, as I have done name fixes in the database

However, there is a certain fix for the West German national team though. you are free to use (or not use) as you feel fit.

can i download the beat too please?

I've been fiddling Michael_Myers but got sidetracked with doing some other graphics updates to flags/nation logo's etc and I've built these USSR kits too. Nothing fancy but I like looking at them in game. I've also started changing some of the old logo's too as these modern ones are awful when you compare them with 80's style Eastern Bloc ones. :) 

russia_1.png

russia_2.png

Edited by Jekermesh

2 hours ago, Michael_Myers said:

Did anyone made progress with the East German logos because of the new ID's?

I think Reiver did?

33 minutes ago, Reiver said:

c9154562ad1f1df56e342c5efbbfc03b.png

Currently in the process of.

:thup:

I am liking that.

If anyone can lend a hand with getting that Zaire flag fixed, let me know. I have no clue what I am doing because the other flags are shown without issue and that one isn't. Also, if someone could help me how I managed to make the Gibraltar flag invisible, that would be most welcome, I might be able to use that trick :D

14 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

If anyone can lend a hand with getting that Zaire flag fixed, let me know. I have no clue what I am doing because the other flags are shown without issue and that one isn't. Also, if someone could help me how I managed to make the Gibraltar flag invisible, that would be most welcome, I might be able to use that trick :D

done, three sizes. 

small.png

medium.png

large.png

1 minute ago, Michael_Myers said:

done, three sizes. 

small.png

medium.png

large.png

Did you manage to make the small/smallx2 ones the same size as the others? I'm using the metallic logo pack and I can't get GIMP to scale them down to the same size as the others.

2 minutes ago, Jekermesh said:

Did you manage to make the small/smallx2 ones the same size as the others? I'm using the metallic logo pack and I can't get GIMP to scale them down to the same size as the others.

done also

103277.png

41 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

I can't get them loaded in the game. It keeps showing the DR Congo flag. Anyone has suggestions?

you should replace them. Load the DR Congo flags to a file out of the game. 

36 minutes ago, Michael_Myers said:

Actually there is a problem with the game's titlebar.

The graphics for the title bar are drawn from a different file location. In the metallic logo pack it uses the FA logo for each country so I've changed it for the Soviet and Yugoslav entries but I think the chances of finding the FA symbol for Zaire are fairly slim!!!

11 minutes ago, Jekermesh said:

The graphics for the title bar are drawn from a different file location. In the metallic logo pack it uses the FA logo for each country so I've changed it for the Soviet and Yugoslav entries but I think the chances of finding the FA symbol for Zaire are fairly slim!!!

Zaire Football logo | Football logo, Soccer logo, Football team logos

Google search, first result :D