Develop the best tactic for Sunderland

I'm managing Sunderland in League One. No signings and many tactics used to try to get the best from my players. 

1357527566_Sunderland_Overview.thumb.png.77fa6b8bc2fadf60b66d4edadacdda1e.png

It's not a bad tactic, but I think that I can take more from my wingers, who doesn't seem to play well like pure wingers as they lack speed. Also, I guess that speed is something that my entire team don't have and I really wanted to make a better defensive block (play with a 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-1-4-1...). 

What do you guys think?

16 hours ago, renato. said:

I think that I can take more from my wingers, who doesn't seem to play well like pure wingers as they lack speed. Also, I guess that speed is something that my entire team don't have and I really wanted to make a better defensive block

You say don't have speed overall, including your wide forwards, plus you want a better defensive block, yet you play with: higher DL, higher LOE, more urgent pressing, both wide forwards on attack duty, both CMs in roaming roles, both FBs in a fairly attack-minded role (WBsu)... plus a few other contradictions in your tactic.

Do you at least have (reasonably) fast strikers? And do you have enough strikers to possibly employ a 2-striker formation (e.g. 4132 wide)? If not, maybe the wide 41311 might be a good choice of formation.

15 minutos atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

Do you at least have (reasonably) fast strikers? And do you have enough strikers to possibly employ a 2-striker formation (e.g. 4132 wide)? If not, maybe the wide 41311 might be a good choice of formation.

No and no. Just two strikers and both of them don't got the speed to overpower the defences in general using their physicality.

Right now I'm adopting a 4-2-3-1 focused on possession, to profit the traits and quality from my central midfielders (just got a lot of them in my squad, need to manage them well) and wingers, who play in a support role to get the ball in their feet and not launch them in the space.

1 minute ago, renato. said:

Right now I'm adopting a 4-2-3-1

If a 4141dm wide does not work for you, then I fear it could only get worse with a 4231. On the other hand, I've just noticed in the screenshot that you are 2nd in your league, which means your tactic actually works (however strange that may sound). If it works, why would you want to change it in the first place? :idiot:

Agora, Experienced Defender disse:

If a 4141dm wide does not work for you, then I fear it could only get worse with a 4231. On the other hand, I've just noticed in the screenshot that you are 2nd in your league, which means your tactic actually works (however strange that may sound). If it works, why would you want to change it in the first place? :idiot:

It works, but I don't feel that's consistent for a long term save. My team makes a lot of goals using balls over the top, set pieces and penalties, but that's not the way I want to play. And it makes sense when you say that some things are contraditory regarding the tactic I'm using, my games are an absolute chaos and, even knowing that's how the game and managing works, I don't want to make a lot of tactical changes in one match.

I just want to build a stable and solid team using the capacity from my midfield to control matches and dominate my oppositon.

18 minutes ago, renato. said:

It works, but I don't feel that's consistent for a long term save. My team makes a lot of goals using balls over the top, set pieces and penalties, but that's not the way I want to play. And it makes sense when you say that some things are contraditory regarding the tactic I'm using, my games are an absolute chaos and, even knowing that's how the game and managing works, I don't want to make a lot of tactical changes in one match.

I just want to build a stable and solid team using the capacity from my midfield to control matches and dominate my oppositon.

Well, I've just taken a closer look to the screenshots of your players. You actually do have 2 fast wide players (Gooch and Watmore), and while you have only 2 strikers overall, neither of them is slow (especially McNulty, who has pretty nice speed).

All in all, after analyzing your team, I am even more of the opinion that the wide 41311 would be an optimal formation for you. 

Like this one (ignore roles and duties, I just don't know what the shape is :lol:)? 

786171166_Rangers_Overview.thumb.png.f9ecc6128cc697398a85a36577856d5d.png

I can use Gooch (Watmore needs training) as a Winger to make my right side the "agressive side", and use McGeady or Maguire to cut inside and maybe overlap the DE to develop a left wing focused to construct the game, right? 

17 minutes ago, renato. said:

I can use Gooch (Watmore needs training) as a Winger to make my right side the "agressive side", and use McGeady or Maguire to cut inside and maybe overlap the DE to develop a left wing focused to construct the game, right?

Speaking specifically of your team, I'd rather play Gooch/Watmore in WM role on the right flank, whereas McGeady/Maguire would be IW on support on the left. When you create the tactic, post a screenshot and I'll come to tell you what (if anything) might need to be tweaked. And try to keep it simple.

Btw, Watmore can play in RM position even without (re)training because he has the necessary attributes to play there. But of course, if you decide to go with the 41311, you should start retraining him for that position (and you do not necessarily need to train him for the specific role he will play, but rather the one that will help him develop the most important attributes for your desired style of play).

What do you mean by "overlap the DE"?

12 minutos atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

What do you mean by "overlap the DE"?

DE = Left full/wing back, sorry for the translation error :lol:

My goal is to overload the centre/left side to produce space and make the Wingback run and do his thing 

27 minutes ago, renato. said:

DE = Left full/wing back, sorry for the translation error

But how is IW supposed to overlap the FB/WB? Only the opposite is possible. Btw, when it comes to overlaps in general, I prefer to create natural ones (rather than using the instruction).

29 minutes ago, renato. said:

My goal is to overload the centre/left side to produce space and make the Wingback run and do his thing

Yes, that's also what I would look to do. But preferably via natural overlaps (see above).

OK, 1st season is over and we are in Championship. Now, with more stability and no pressure to get a promotion right from the start, I can develop better withou pressure. After reading the Tactics section here, I got this tactic working fine:

1801515961_Sunderland_Overview-2.thumb.png.b4f3550a84782bac794806ad65ba7e9f.png907654262_Sunderland_Fixtures.thumb.png.1a479e7de3277c1e37041956f5d0e4a3.png

Works nice and it is very stable in defense, but I'm worried about how my team creates chances. It's mainly from the right that the danger comes from, but I need more variety to maintain the tactic for a long term. Maybe making the leftback overlap more or changing the AMC role (I like a lot how they work, really don't want to change this). They are creating chances like this one: https://streamable.com/90rxj

4 minutes ago, renato. said:

1801515961_Sunderland_Overview-2.thumb.png.b4f3550a84782bac794806ad65ba7e9f.png

1st season is over and we are in Championship

Works nice and it is very stable in defense

Honestly, I don't like the tactic (for a number of reasons), but if it works well for you - and it obviously does - then stick to it (as long as you are pleased with the results you are getting) :thup:

7 minutos atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

Honestly, I don't like the tactic (for a number of reasons), but if it works well for you - and it obviously does - then stick to it (as long as you are pleased with the results you are getting) :thup:

Feel free to develop your thoughts, mate. That's why we are here and why I created this thread hahaha I'm just trying to see the big picture while the tactic runs well

41 minutes ago, renato. said:

Feel free to develop your thoughts, mate. That's why we are here and why I created this thread

I know, but just don't want to spoil a tactic that works ;)

43 minutes ago, renato. said:

I'm just trying to see the big picture while the tactic runs well

In case it stops running well - and I hope it will never happen - we can discuss it again and then I'll tell you what I think should be changed/improved. But for now, keep it up and enjoy the game :brock:

A little update: Made some more tweaks after the new public beta and found a very good tactic (always reading the section to get better). Only thing I feel that needs an upgrade is the Striker and by using a Target Man, I felt a huge difference on the first and only game using this role. 

376419066_RamsayMacDonald_Inbox.thumb.png.0c1ce20cef62f1217728bfc2ae7800f9.png447773119_SkyBetChampionship_Profile.thumb.png.b17acfe0081794aedd0e32e457ae8762.png1628843957_Sunderland_Overview-2.thumb.png.46ea5321380365c52fe08391f9dea1ff.png