Help with changing a nation's continental competition

jcp1417

I want to change the continent of a nation , but it is greyed out in the editor. Does this mean it's impossible to edit continents?

I'm attempting to swap out lower rep nations in europe with higher rep nations from other continents. 

Screenshot 2020-01-06 06.35.41.png

Get the resource archiver, unpack the "comp editor.fmf" (BACK IT UP!) file found in the "data" folder in the main game's folder. The relevant line of code is in a file named "nation.xml". Search for "<!-- Continent -->", and you change the line "is_read_only" from "true" to "false". You repack everything and you're done.

That said, it's going to be a nightmare in terms of scheduling, travel fees and everything else: because you move a country from a continent to another doesn't mean it moves "physically" from a continent to another. When we're taking about moving something like say, Kazakhstan or Israel to Asia, countries that legitimately are geographically close enough to Asia for it to be possible is one thing; asking American clubs to ply to Europe back and forth to play the Champions' League is another. I also suspect the UEFA Nations League will not like it at all, as well as any or every international competition that specifies which countries play in it. I also doubt continental club competitions will enjoy it too much either. But sure enough, if you want to experiment with it, here you go.

1. Download the FM20 Resource Archiver from Steam and launch it.
  2. Click "Extract Archive" and find the file "comp editor.fmf" in your Steam folder "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\data"
  3. Select a folder to extract the files to
  4. In the new folder, find "nation.xml" an open it.
  5. Note that there are 2 files called "nation.xml", but only 1 has the following text:
  6. <!-- Continent -->

<record>

<flags id="field" value="Ncti" />

<translation id="name" translation_id="229389" type="use" value="Continent" />

<flags id="type" value="database_record_unique_id" />

<flags id="database_table_type" value="continent" />

<boolean id="is_client_field" value="true" />

<boolean id="is_read_only" value="true" />

<boolean id="is_optional" value="true" />

</record>

7. Change row <boolean id="is_read_only" value="true" /> to <boolean id="is_read_only" value="false" />

8. Save the xml file

9. Before you go to the next step, make a backup of your "comp editor.fmf" file in case the process goes wrong for whatever reason
  10. Go to the Resource Archiver and package the file back together: Click "Create Archive" and save the archive file in the "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\data" folder.
  11. Only overwrite the existing file there if you had made a backup of it.
  12. Launch the Editor and it should work.

4 hours ago, nine_iron said:

What nation are you changing and what are you changing it too?

I wanted to move:

1. USA
  2. Mexico
  3. Brazil
  4. Argentina
  5. South Africa
  6. China

To Europe, replacing:

1. San Marino
  2. Andorra
  3. Kosovo
  4. Faroe Islands
  5. Malta
  6. Liechtebstein

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Having an issue with editor at the moment after I altered the nation file via the archive resourcer. I had a look through some forums but they are quite dated. When you attempt to go onto a nation on editor all the avaliable search options are blank and the nation's page eg. England is bare. This all since i edited the read only file to false from true

If anyone has any idea please get it touch, I would be forever grateful lol. It is racking my brains!!

• 1 month later...

It's a nightmare to try to move that many countries, tbh. One or two it's doable with some tinkering, but there are so many reasons why trying to do what you're trying to do is really difficult. It can be done, but no one attempts it because it's quite frustrating even at its best. I create my own country in every version of FM and the easiest way to do that is to replace an existing one because otherwise it's just data entry and some tweaks rather than having to deal with a bevy of other xml challenges that might still not work. Unless you just don't want to play and only want to be in the editor, perpetually.

Edited by omnivore

On 28/04/2020 at 00:23, jcalvs995 said:

Hi all,

Having an issue with editor at the moment after I altered the nation file via the archive resourcer. I had a look through some forums but they are quite dated. When you attempt to go onto a nation on editor all the avaliable search options are blank and the nation's page eg. England is bare. This all since i edited the read only file to false from true

If anyone has any idea please get it touch, I would be forever grateful lol. It is racking my brains!!

Two things to check,

is your filter option on in the lower left corner
Did you pack your files correctly, because it might sound like a corrupted comp editor file.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to do this replacing San Marino with Canada but now the Euro Qualifiers for the 2024 competition won't start and I don't know why and canada still plays in the North American nations league and San Marino in the European however the Uefa u 21 and u 19 euro championships still work

Edited by nfhockeyfan

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/06/2020 at 19:52, nfhockeyfan said:

I was able to do this replacing San Marino with Canada but now the Euro Qualifiers for the 2024 competition won't start and I don't know why and canada still plays in the North American nations league and San Marino in the European however the Uefa u 21 and u 19 euro championships still work

You need to clear the nations in the European competitions, it won't change the actual being played, but the subsequent will change.  As for Canada, yes they will play in both Nations League (if you cleared the Europa's one).

• 1 month later...
On 06/01/2020 at 10:44, prot651 said:
  1. Download the FM20 Resource Archiver from Steam and launch it.
  2. Click "Extract Archive" and find the file "comp editor.fmf" in your Steam folder "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\data"
  3. Select a folder to extract the files to
  4. In the new folder, find "nation.xml" an open it.
  5. Note that there are 2 files called "nation.xml", but only 1 has the following text:
  6. <!-- Continent -->

<record>

<flags id="field" value="Ncti" />

<translation id="name" translation_id="229389" type="use" value="Continent" />

<flags id="type" value="database_record_unique_id" />

<flags id="database_table_type" value="continent" />

<boolean id="is_client_field" value="true" />

<boolean id="is_read_only" value="true" />

<boolean id="is_optional" value="true" />

</record>

7. Change row <boolean id="is_read_only" value="true" /> to <boolean id="is_read_only" value="false" />

8. Save the xml file

9. Before you go to the next step, make a backup of your "comp editor.fmf" file in case the process goes wrong for whatever reason
  10. Go to the Resource Archiver and package the file back together: Click "Create Archive" and save the archive file in the "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\data" folder.
  11. Only overwrite the existing file there if you had made a backup of it.
  12. Launch the Editor and it should work.

Thank you for the help, I was able to change the continents tab.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone.

I've been working a project for a Catalonia National Team to be added into Europe, In the past FM games I have usually just replaced Andorra as nation. But I am stubborn. And i still want Andorra in the game, but rather thinking of taking one of the extinct nations. I've made a lot of progress, as changing the continent, and nationality on players born in the region etc. but however I am struggling with particular thing and that is the national team not playing in qualifying to world cup.

I went into world cup qualifying for Europe and replaced Kazakhstan with Catalonia as registered team. but when i save. and test rules. It pops up "number of teams in competition (56) doesn't match expected number of teams from rankings (55).

Does anyone have a fix for this? I've tried and tried but seem to find no fix for this. ( I have seen other forums I need to change the registered nations in advanced rules. but I have been trying for 2 days. and i cant figure out how.

(The file is fresh, made a new in case i did something wrong) If anyone figure out how to fix it. please let me know how.

Catalonia - Independent - BACK UP 2.fmf

On 04/02/2021 at 23:11, danseakins said:

@Wolf_pd have you tried using the resource archiver to add new staff roles, for example man city have different staff roles like set piece coach and nutritionist  https://trainingground.guru/staff-profiles/manchester-city-staff-profiles

No, never did that.

• 2 months later...
On 04/04/2021 at 10:16, dahyperion said:

Hello everyone.

I've been working a project for a Catalonia National Team to be added into Europe, In the past FM games I have usually just replaced Andorra as nation. But I am stubborn. And i still want Andorra in the game, but rather thinking of taking one of the extinct nations. I've made a lot of progress, as changing the continent, and nationality on players born in the region etc. but however I am struggling with particular thing and that is the national team not playing in qualifying to world cup.

I went into world cup qualifying for Europe and replaced Kazakhstan with Catalonia as registered team. but when i save. and test rules. It pops up "number of teams in competition (56) doesn't match expected number of teams from rankings (55).

Does anyone have a fix for this? I've tried and tried but seem to find no fix for this. ( I have seen other forums I need to change the registered nations in advanced rules. but I have been trying for 2 days. and i cant figure out how.

(The file is fresh, made a new in case i did something wrong) If anyone figure out how to fix it. please let me know how.

Catalonia - Independent - BACK UP 2.fmf 57.63 kB · 2 downloads

There's someone that made a Catalonia file, (which I'm playing with), the N team even got qualified to the WC in it's first attempt, he used an extinct nation and moved Kazakhstan (or how is written) to Asia.  The only thing you wont get in the first season is take part in the Euro Qualifiers, but in the next Euro Cat will be there. (talking about FM20, if you are referring to FM21, maybe you should wait till the 2026 WC)

• 9 months later...
On 30/07/2020 at 02:25, krakonico said:

You need to clear the nations in the European competitions, it won't change the actual being played, but the subsequent will change.  As for Canada, yes they will play in both Nations League (if you cleared the Europa's one).

may i ask how to clear the nations? san marino adapted well and have all competitions in asia but my country doesn't have any thing like UEFA Nations or Euro Championship and World Cup qualifier :(