In 1967 Glasgow Celtic became the first British Club to win the European

Cup, beating Inter Milan 2-1 in Lisbon. This was a magnificent achievement

for Manager Jock Stein and his players and it was achieved with an all-out

attacking style which at the time changed the face of European football (in

stark contrast to the Italian's beloved and ultra-defensive

"catenaccio-system"). What was all the more impressive was that all of the

players in the team were Scottish; in fact they were all born within a

25-mile radius of Glasgow. Of course that was 1967 - an all-Scottish team

could never win a European trophy in today's era of multi-national squads.

Or could they?

The Challenge

1. Take charge of Rangers, Celtic or indeed any other Scottish Club.

2. Build a 100% Scottish playing squad

3. Win either the UEFA Cup or the Champions League

4. After that (or at the same time if you wish) take charge of the Scottish

National Team and achieve history by taking them to the knockout stages of

the European Championship Finals and the World Cup Finals.

Bonus Challenge

In season 1966/67, Celtic won every competition that they entered - for the

ultimate challenge, see if you can emulate that feat in a single season.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Background

In 1967 Glasgow Celtic became the first British Club to win the European

Cup, beating Inter Milan 2-1 in Lisbon. This was a magnificent achievement

for Manager Jock Stein and his players and it was achieved with an all-out

attacking style which at the time changed the face of European football (in

stark contrast to the Italian's beloved and ultra-defensive

"catenaccio-system"). What was all the more impressive was that all of the

players in the team were Scottish; in fact they were all born within a

25-mile radius of Glasgow. Of course that was 1967 - an all-Scottish team

could never win a European trophy in today's era of multi-national squads.

Or could they?

The Challenge

1. Take charge of Rangers, Celtic or indeed any other Scottish Club.

4. After that (or at the same time if you wish) take charge of the Scottish

National Team and achieve history by taking them to the knockout stages of

the European Championship Finals and the World Cup Finals.

Bonus Challenge

In season 1966/67, Celtic won every competition that they entered - for the

ultimate challenge, see if you can emulate that feat in a single season.

Congrats on a great challenge BobBev. Shows that you can teach an old dog new tricks icon_wink.gif

I'm now actively seeking time to play this challenge, although I feel my Caley Thistle save game may come in useful at some point...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gricehead:

_Question 1_

Does Scottish as a second nationality (i.e. a naturalised player) count as Scottish for the purpose of the challenge?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its an interesting question, because in the save im using Khizanishvili has gained a Scots nationality. Its up to Bob of course, but I'd suggest that a player be considered Scots if he hasnt been capped for another country. Assuming he's eligible of course. If he can be picked for Scotland, hes a Scot.

This is a good challenge- it was a pleasure voting for it icon_smile.gif It will be fun playing it (starting my story now).

I think PM7's suggestion is a good one- as long as possible to Cap for Scotland- dual nationality should be ok- but if does Cap for another, then if you have him- he must go.

Given how crap the Scottish front line is, I'm sure that the Scottish FA would welcome some dual nationalites capping for bonny auld Scotland. icon_biggrin.gif

Given my experiences with Scotland,I think it will be easier toget to the knockout stages of the Euro Champ. and World Cup, both of which can be done with ingenuity and luck. Winning the Champion's League or the UEFA Cup with an all Scots team would require one to basically assemble the Scots national team on your team which requires money, time and luck.

Thanks for your support guys. Perhaps a few clarifications are required.

1. To follow in the Lisbon lions footsteps you need to have a 100% Scottish first team squad (first 11 plus subs) for every game of the season in which you triumph in Europe.

2. "Scottish" is taken to mean any player who is eligible to play for the national team so dual nationalities are OK just as long as the player concerned has not been capped by the "other" nation. If you continue to play a "dual" after they have gained a cap for the other side then that will invalidate the current season.

Please let me know if anything else is unclear.

I suppose there is no "deadline" for you to build a 100% scottish first team squad (plus subs).

If it's true, then it may take a few seasons to complete:-

Which mean to say that you may get non-Scottish players to help qualify for Champions League Competition (not to win it though!)(for the first few seasons to help the club's financial situation eg: buy some below 17 non-scottish players and later sell them for millions of pounds the next season) afterwhich you may then attempt to build a 100% scottish squad and then start winning the UEFA Cup or the Champions League.

Lisbon Lions Challenge Log

Current Participants

When We Were Lions - Faramir makes a brave attempt at the challenge with Motherwell.

The Scots Are Revolting - mavericktango brings you a political slant in his attempt with Hearts.

The Lisbon Lions Challenge - Andy Cullen is having a try with the Lions themselves, Celtic.

We'll Just Play the Scottish Way - Terk is giving it a go with Hearts.

It's Not Caley, It's Caledonian - Gricehead indulges in some time travel with Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Enid Blyton's Famous Five - Peacemaker7 goes even further forward in time as he looks to take Hibs to glory.

The Parkhead Panthers - my own modest attempt using Celtic.

I think that this is everyone at present but please let me know if I have missed anyone.

[This message was edited by Peacemaker7 on 08 January 2004 at 17:49.]

1. To follow in the Lisbon lions footsteps you need to have a 100% Scottish first team squad (first 11 plus subs) for every game of the season in which you triumph in Europe.

Which means you may play the non-Scottish in the Scottish Premier League games ? As long as not for the Euro games rite ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanggang:

_Which means you may play the non-Scottish in the Scottish Premier League games ? As long as not for the Euro games rite ?_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No - I mean that every competitive game of the season must be played woth a Scottish squad if that season is to count towards the challenge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanggang:

I suppose there is no "deadline" for you to build a 100% scottish first team squad (plus subs).

If it's true, then it may take a few seasons to complete:-

Which mean to say that you may get non-Scottish players to help qualify for Champions League Competition _(not to win it though!)_(for the first few seasons to help the club's financial situation eg: buy some below 17 non-scottish players and later sell them for millions of pounds the next season) afterwhich you may then attempt to build a 100% scottish squad and then start winning the UEFA Cup or the Champions League.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is absolutely no deadline and quite how the squad is built is up to each individual player. Some may prefer to go for a gradual approach and some may prefer something a little drastic. As you say, it doesn't matter who you use to qualify for Europe, it's who you use in the subsequent season that's important.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martin Buchan:

What about the competition?

Can I put Aberdeen's continental competition as the UEFA Cup or do I have to qualify?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What's the point in cheating?

The best challenge won. icon_smile.gif I'll be giving this a try soonish... Not right away as I'm expecting my new PC VERY shortly (as in the next day or two) and that should give me plenty of options - 01/02 or 03/04? Hm. icon_wink.gif

And I'd think it's probably best if you qualified for a continental competition yourself. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martin Buchan:

What about the competition?

Can I put Aberdeen's continental competition as the UEFA Cup or do I have to qualify?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally you can do anything you see fit if it makes a good story. However, if you would like to try to claim any credit for completing the challenge then you should qualify for Europe under your own steam.

This is my first post for ages icon_redface.gif

First of all, congrats on this challenge, its a game that I've finally gotten into, albeit it with 00-01.

Quick question though. If I have non-Scottish players in my squad but they don't appear on any match-day teamsheet does it count towards the challenge? Or do I have to rid them all before the first league game?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daz the Imp:

This is my first post for ages icon_redface.gif

First of all, congrats on this challenge, its a game that I've finally gotten into, albeit it with 00-01.

Quick question though. If I have non-Scottish players in my squad but they don't appear on any match-day teamsheet does it count towards the challenge? Or do I have to rid them all before the first league game?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Daz,

It is your playing squad that is important. You need to have a 100% Scottish first team squad (first 11 plus subs) for every game of the season in which you triumph in Europe. So you can have non-Scots as lomg as none of them ever play or even sit on the bench.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

It might, but maybe not during it's officialness... I really want to round off WTBCSA this year, and there's a wee bit of life left in that one still.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Says who? icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian of Nazareth:

Quick question - can I swap a non-league team into the 3rd division to take part in this challenge?

If so I'll be posting my effort tomorrow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Course you can Brian - sounds very interesting icon_smile.gif

Archived