How to create new competition?

Pitohui

vor 27 Minuten schrieb Pitohui:

I want to make a new cup competition.Where do I specify what teams will qualify for this compitition(FM20 Editor)

You can add a team pool or you can use Teams, both in stages. With Teams you can add clubs from/by divisions, with team pool you can add all clubs manually. 

21 hours ago, KUBI said:

You can add a team pool or you can use Teams, both in stages. With Teams you can add clubs from/by divisions, with team pool you can add all clubs manually. 

Where do I find this Option?Fo example,lets say I waanted to make a Competition where the first to eight place of the PL qualify for,where would I do that?

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Pitohui:

Where do I find this Option?Fo example,lets say I waanted to make a Competition where the first to eight place of the PL qualify for,where would I do that?

The best way to learn about the editor is to download some existing custom files and check what they did. We can't give detailed instructions for every user, we just assists in finding a way. What you need to look into is the TEAMS tab and the options you have to select which clubs are qualified for a competition.

On 21/12/2019 at 10:48, KUBI said:

The best way to learn about the editor is to download some existing custom files and check what they did. We can't give detailed instructions for every user, we just assists in finding a way. What you need to look into is the TEAMS tab and the options you have to select which clubs are qualified for a competition.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

It's really a shame that no one bothered to make a "Create a competition" guide for dummies. A lot of the things you have to do in the editor aren't very intuitive, and you'll waste a lot of time on little details that seem insignificant. Telling someone to compare the competition they want to create with the editor data of someone else is sage advice, but I feel that even with something to compare to, a lot of details get lost in translation.

Pitohui, I only play FM 2019 (since I've made the database I like in that game), so I don't know for sure if the editor in any different in FM 2020. However, assuming it's not, I can tell you a few basics (I'm no expert, but I have spent enough time with the editor to get a feel of it):

When you go into the editor, you add can add nation rules. Once you do, your editor-file will be designated belonging to that specific nation. You can only have one set of nation rules, so you can not have several files for the same nation. So, if you like, you could use editor data that someone has already created for the English Nation (for instance, if one update has added new levels). If you do not, then you will want to use the "Add Lower Divisions And Cups To Existing Structure" so that the existing structure and rule-set is automatically added to your editor data.

f you keep it simple and avoid converting the rules to advanced, the amount of things you can change in the existing leagues and cups will be very limited. However, adding competitions if really easy. When you try to add a cups, you can only select a specific type and it will create fixtures for you. You can add custom stages to the cup, but your options are limited to a point where it's hard to go wrong.

If you do convert to advanced rules, you suddenly have a lot of options for designing your cups. First, you create the competition in the database. Then you add it in the list under the nation rules and you add it to the competitions under List → England → Nation. Then you start to set it up. As shown in in the attached screenshot, I have shown an example of how you could add the either best teams in Premier League. Another example would be adding qualification rules under Premier League, then setting up rules for "Qualified Teams" and then simply adding "Qualified Teams" under the "Teams" screen.

A tournament in the advanced editor consists of stages and rounds (if it's a cup). For a simple cup, you'll only need one stage, whereas for group play and a playoff, you'll need two stages, since you're adding two different kind of things to your cup. So, one stage would be group play and qualifying rules from the group would specify that teams qualify for first round of the next stage. The next stage could then be a cup, and in this stage it is specified that you want to get the qualified teams from the previous stage. In a cup stage, you can simple make all the rounds. The winners of each round will go onto the next round. The winner of the final round will simply be the winner of the cup, if no "Fate Actions" actions are specified to change this.

Stages can be used as a way segregate parts of a cup with different rules, different qualifications or a different setup. For instance, in one stage, you'll only add the lowest seeded qualified teams and qualify the top 2 teams that go through the rounds of that stage to the next stage through "Fate Actions". In the next stage, you've could add the top seeded qualified teams for the competition as well as the two qualified teams from the previous stage.

Depending on which changes you make in the advanced rule, you might have problems verifying your rules, if the editor feels that some of the rules don't add up correctly (you have to use Rules → Test Rules after saving to be allowed use the leagues in the game). Even if your rules verify, a stage of a competition might never start if it's prerequisites have not been met correctly (problems with teams added, scheduling, dates, etc.). This is where the headaches are introduces, so if you can follow a very specific setup from another competition that has been created, this would make for a good start. There are lots of options, but you don't have to tick that many boxes to make a working competition.

teamsqualifiedforcup.png

• 2 months later...
On 03/02/2020 at 19:13, Bondonzilenozolo said:

It's really a shame that no one bothered to make a "Create a competition" guide for dummies. A lot of the things you have to do in the editor aren't very intuitive, and you'll waste a lot of time on little details that seem insignificant. Telling someone to compare the competition they want to create with the editor data of someone else is sage advice, but I feel that even with something to compare to, a lot of details get lost in translation.

Pitohui, I only play FM 2019 (since I've made the database I like in that game), so I don't know for sure if the editor in any different in FM 2020. However, assuming it's not, I can tell you a few basics (I'm no expert, but I have spent enough time with the editor to get a feel of it):

When you go into the editor, you add can add nation rules. Once you do, your editor-file will be designated belonging to that specific nation. You can only have one set of nation rules, so you can not have several files for the same nation. So, if you like, you could use editor data that someone has already created for the English Nation (for instance, if one update has added new levels). If you do not, then you will want to use the "Add Lower Divisions And Cups To Existing Structure" so that the existing structure and rule-set is automatically added to your editor data.

f you keep it simple and avoid converting the rules to advanced, the amount of things you can change in the existing leagues and cups will be very limited. However, adding competitions if really easy. When you try to add a cups, you can only select a specific type and it will create fixtures for you. You can add custom stages to the cup, but your options are limited to a point where it's hard to go wrong.

If you do convert to advanced rules, you suddenly have a lot of options for designing your cups. First, you create the competition in the database. Then you add it in the list under the nation rules and you add it to the competitions under List → England → Nation. Then you start to set it up. As shown in in the attached screenshot, I have shown an example of how you could add the either best teams in Premier League. Another example would be adding qualification rules under Premier League, then setting up rules for "Qualified Teams" and then simply adding "Qualified Teams" under the "Teams" screen.

A tournament in the advanced editor consists of stages and rounds (if it's a cup). For a simple cup, you'll only need one stage, whereas for group play and a playoff, you'll need two stages, since you're adding two different kind of things to your cup. So, one stage would be group play and qualifying rules from the group would specify that teams qualify for first round of the next stage. The next stage could then be a cup, and in this stage it is specified that you want to get the qualified teams from the previous stage. In a cup stage, you can simple make all the rounds. The winners of each round will go onto the next round. The winner of the final round will simply be the winner of the cup, if no "Fate Actions" actions are specified to change this.

Stages can be used as a way segregate parts of a cup with different rules, different qualifications or a different setup. For instance, in one stage, you'll only add the lowest seeded qualified teams and qualify the top 2 teams that go through the rounds of that stage to the next stage through "Fate Actions". In the next stage, you've could add the top seeded qualified teams for the competition as well as the two qualified teams from the previous stage.

Depending on which changes you make in the advanced rule, you might have problems verifying your rules, if the editor feels that some of the rules don't add up correctly (you have to use Rules → Test Rules after saving to be allowed use the leagues in the game). Even if your rules verify, a stage of a competition might never start if it's prerequisites have not been met correctly (problems with teams added, scheduling, dates, etc.). This is where the headaches are introduces, so if you can follow a very specific setup from another competition that has been created, this would make for a good start. There are lots of options, but you don't have to tick that many boxes to make a working competition.

teamsqualifiedforcup.png

Bondon question... I’m working on a file where I want to have cis which is Canadian university so there’s 6 divisions so each team plays home and home in their division.... I want to do like a round robin with top 8 move onto quarter finals... only thing is that it’s 48 teams so if I want to have season end of oct 26th and then have round robin say 28th of oct to nov 6 so 8 pools of 6 that way after round robin playoff play the the top team in each pool would move onto the quarter finals on nov 8th then from nov 8th to 11 u have quarters semis bronze and championship... if going by what u said above is what I’m saying possible to do?

Can someone explain something to me...

So after watching this video the cup that I want to create is already in a database.. My question is do I have to create the Cup outside of the database because then the teams i want like the winners will not be able to take part as it's for a custom database or do I create it inside of the custom database?

If the cup is already in the database, you can create new rules for it. The cup is then reused, but the old rules are replaced.

Example: Dutch Cup uses 84 teams normally. I only want to have the teams from Eredivsie and First division play, so I create new rules for Holland (watch out, you will then create new rules for the whole country, so also new eredivisie and first division).

Create the new cup via Nations Rules and select only Eredivisie and First division for the teams to use.

17 hours ago, Fmfan00 said:

So I am looking at like something say like the FA Cup or something where it's a Knockout 1 game and thenu start with 48 then 36 24 12 and then have quarter final, semi and finals

From 48 to 36 and 24 and 12 means you have a different idea than one game knockout there, right?

well the way that this playoff works in real life is theres 6 divisions and then host and then 2 other teams are picked but it's too complicated to put in fm20 so I was just gonna have all 48 teams make the playoffs then go from 48 to 36 to 24 then to 12 once 8 happens try to do quarter finals -> semis -> bronze medal and Championship game... thats my plan but my knowledge in the editor is limited so i have to watch videos on how people do it but some videos arent so clear as to how to do it because in some of the videos some of the stuff they do is not avail in the databse and editor i have so i cant do it after watching some of hte people in the videos and what they do because im working with a custom database

Edited by Fmfan00