Found a good 19 year old but determination = 2

If he's that good I'd get him.

Put him into your first team squad and into a Mentoring group with strong willed, influential players.  Make him available for your reserve squad and give him some first team action when he's ready for it.  Set individual training up for him (note that some roles can influence Determination too).  Your overall squad profile will also have an impact.

If it works out well then great.  If not you'll probably be able to sell him for a profit, so win win.

On 20/12/2019 at 15:34, 2feet said:

Thanks a lot - definitely sounds like its worth a go then

If I have more than one strong willed player in a mentoring group does it improve the chances of beneficial mentoring?

I don’t know for certain but I think that the two strong willed players impose themselves on the player with low determination. It certainly can’t do any harm.

On 20/12/2019 at 13:10, herne79 said:

If he's that good I'd get him.

Put him into your first team squad and into a Mentoring group with strong willed, influential players.  Make him available for your reserve squad and give him some first team action when he's ready for it.  Set individual training up for him (note that some roles can influence Determination too).  Your overall squad profile will also have an impact.

If it works out well then great.  If not you'll probably be able to sell him for a profit, so win win.

What roles can influence Determination? Never heard of this :)

As others have mentioned, if he's cheap then it's maybe worth taking a punt and mentoring him to see how it improves - there are those weird random events where a player can suddenly improve/lose determination (along with other stats) too, but we're talking fantasy realms of straw clutching hoping for one of them (but never say never!).

One thing to consider though is what is your bottom limit when it comes to determination? For example, mine is 14 when buying players - for a 19 year old to get from 2-14 is obviously a massive jump. I don't know what's a realistic mentoring rate for determination in 20 just yet, but 4 points per season may make it worthwhile, whereas 2 makes it sound not worth the effort (I still think if he's that good it'd be worth a try though)?

Naturally you don't have to play him/use him but he'll likely get unhappy over the years if you don't, yet if you do, if he's good his influence will grow which means rather than other players upticking his mental stats, he may start to drag theirs down etc so be watchful for that.

I always use the example of "would you buy a 19 year old striker with 2 for finishing, even if his other stats were perfect?" and the answer - for me - would be no (although I'd consider retraining him) - I'm exactly the same with determination, but just depends on how much importance you place on that particular stat.