Does it matter how good your striker is ?

Long-term there should be a difference, however it should be in the percentage range. That's what clubs spend these gazillions on in competitive footbal:, any edge they can hopefully get. The chance should matter more than the player on any level. This has Always applied in-game either way. Repeat severe finishing issues are about creating superior space on this series, not buying better finishers.

Let's take the static 1vs1, the penalty. The average conversion is 76%. Top guys over a hundred+ take that to 83-85%, usually (CR7 stands at 83%). Even for the worst possible semi-pro Footballer, which is pretty relative, the penalty would still be a Penalty.  Even the current one on ones from open play aren't at all equal opportunity, which you can test. THere are some that seem converted at 50/50 ratios. However, they require the Forward to be in space, and no much defender nearby, decent angle rather than narrow one -- and closer distance to the goal rather than from the edge of the box.

Naturally, if the chance matters more than the player who has it, if a Chance is slightly OP / underpowered in the ME (Long shots in FM19...), then these chances will be easier / harder to score than in football, no matter much the taker. Some of this will likely apply to types of 1vs1 as well.

Edited by Svenc

From my experience, obviously attributes are very important including "hidden" ones like consistency but there's also element of luck. What i define by luck is for example: Striker just starts scoring, you know, one game he scores a penalty, next game scores two goals  and for the rest of the season he just keeps scoring and is having a great time/season. On the other hand you can have a Harry Kane in the team, phenomenal attributes, right and for some reason he has a very poor game, misses a lot of chances, misses a pen, next game also kinda poor and he keeps playing subpar not scoring and finishes a season scoring overall 15 goals which is quite low for him.

What happens in saves from time to time including previous versions of FM is that sometimes your star striker is in a poor form or just having a bad year and your back up guy who on paper has much poorer attributes is for some reason in a good mood and scoring quite often. 

But overall, even if you eliminate luck element you will still see most of the time, best strikers in particular league /competition scoring the most goals.

I couldn't rely on Piatek even though he has finishing 18 and composure 17.

So I got Cavani on a free and he has finishing finishing 17 and composure 17.

Cavani is my starting striker but he misses sitters and then I bring on Piatek.

Between them they're getting enough goals to keep me top but I'm underwhelmed to say the least.

If they did score a higher percentage I'd probably be winning games by 5 goals so I guess that's the issue.

IMO, for a 1 v 1, the attribute Finishing is low down on my list of things I'd be looking at as a possible cause. Composure is vital and (again IMO) the most important attribute in that situation. I'd list Balance as being the 2nd most important attribute, in that situation. Next, Decisions - what to do, how to do it, when to do it etc.

So yeah Finishing is around 4th or 5th on my list. That said, 1 v 1 conversion is low across the board and it is something SI is looking at. This has been mentioned in the individual ME bug threads, but also in Neil's post in the feedback thread here : 

I tend to think that the two most important attributes for a striker are composure and finishing. My strikers seem to miss heaps of 1v1 chances so I think compusure is critical. Having good strikers with high ratings for these to stats will be the difference between a good and average season I believe.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

That said, 1 v 1 conversion is low across the board and it is something SI is looking at. T

That's not accurate though is it? There are types that are actually converted at 50/50 ratios (foward in space, decent angle+distance, no Defender near). Hopefully they are not going to treat them as equal opportunity. If this is ever supposed to be a Simulation, they cannot be. 1vs1 typically rank anywhere between 1 in 5 and 1 in 2 chances, for an average of 1 in 3. I've seen central ones in space rated no higher as 1 in 4. Indeed, the biggest frustration seem to come from those finished at difficult / crazy angles, due to how easily the widish guys are played behind the last line. In a few of those, all the keeper has to do is sticking his arm out, as he has nothing much to cover.

Anybody providing Reports without real Football Research to back that up shouldn't be overly listened to.

Edited by Svenc

59 minutes ago, Svenc said:

That's not accurate though is it? There are types that are actually converted at 50/50 ratios (foward in space, decent angle+distance, no Defender near). Hopefully they are not going to treat them as equal opportunity. If this is ever supposed to be a Simulation, they cannot be. 1vs1 typically rank anywhere between 1 in 5 and 1 in 2 chances, for an average of 1 in 3. I've seen central ones in space rated no higher as 1 in 4. Indeed, the biggest frustration seem to come from those finished at difficult / crazy angles. In a few of those, all the keeper has to do is sticking his arm out, as he has nothing much to cover.

Neil's post :

There's a number of issues which have been raised by the community, but having spoken to the match team in more depth, there's a few things on the radar. With one-on-ones it's not as simple as say 'players are missing too many', first of all, why are they missing them? Are they ignoring players in better positions and taking on shots from worse angles? Sometimes yes. But then we can't always have the players making the right decisions every time as that isn't realistic either. It's a real balancing act. We can't just up their ability to score one on ones, it's not that simplistic. But yes, conversion and how these chances are taken is something we're looking at.

Also regarding 1 v 1 situations: https://community.sigames.com/topic/506467-still-multiple-missed-1v1s-still-forwards-refusing-to-square-it-and-taking-the-shot-instead/?do=findComment&comment=12156388

There are slightly more than we'd like, however this does depend on the tactics being used by both teams.

It is more how the chances are being created, rather than the fact they are being missed. This is something that is constantly under review internally, unfortunately it can create all sorts of potential knock ons which is why it's not a straight forward fix.

From my own experience, it does seem quite low. I haven't kept proper count though. When I did, I had 2 out of 5 clean through 1 v 1 conversions in 2 matches, but the next match 0 out of 5. I'm not even talking about silly angles. These are straight on 1 v 1s. This still falls within your 1/5 ratio, so maybe that's correct.

The main issue for me is how it's created and just how clean through they are. It makes the misses look so much worse. Overall, I would say it is slightly too low, but the 1v1s being too many and they are getting completely clear of the defense far too easily and far too much. It's the sort of 'easy' chance that should be more toward 1/2 or 1/3 than 1/5 or worse.

Anyway, I don't want to veer off-topic as it's not quite what the OP was asking.