Jump to content

Possession with purpose


Recommended Posts

I'm looking to implement a possession based approach but I'm not wanting just short passing and patient play. Is there any way to play possession but have it more direct and quicker approach.

I'm not bothered about how it would affect other parts of my tactic with instructions, player roles etc.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TacticNewb said:

Is there any way to play possession but have it more direct and quicker approach

Yes, there is a style I like to call "progressive possession football". But as with any tactical style, you need to make sure you have the right type of players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yes, there is a style I like to call "progressive possession football". But as with any tactical style, you need to make sure you have the right type of players.

Let's say that I have the right players and I'd like to use a 442 or 4411 what TIs, PIs or player roles would you suggest I used to get your 'progressive possession football' style across. 

3 hours ago, warlock said:

Have a read of this thread:

 

Will do thanks, I was actually looking for this thread but couldn't remember the author or name.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TacticNewb said:

Let's say that I have the right players and I'd like to use a 442 or 4411 what TIs, PIs or player roles would you suggest I used to get your 'progressive possession football' style across

Well, 442 and 4411 are not ideal systems for possession styles in general, but if you want to use specifically those two formations, then it could be something along these lines:

DLFsu     AF

IWsu      DLPsu    CMde     WMsu

FBat      CDde    BPDde     IWBsu

SKsu

or:

DLF

SS

IWsu      DLPde   BBM    WMsu

FBat     CDde   BPDde     IWBsu

SKsu

Mentality and team instructions basically come down to the following:

Positive

- play out of defence, shorter passing, be more expressive (optionally Work ball into box)

- counter-press (can be a double-edged sword though)

- higher DL, higher LOE, offside trap

Both strikers and both wide midfielders - close down more (PI)

However, this style of play is easier (and safer) to achieve with a 4123 than 442/4411.

Edited by Experienced Defender
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Well, 442 and 4411 are not ideal systems for possession styles in general, but if you want to use specifically those two formations, then it could be something along these lines:

DLFsu     AF

IWsu      DLPsu    CMde     WMsu

FBat      CDde    BPDde     IWBsu

SKsu

or:

DLF

SS

IWsu      DLPde   BBM    WMsu

FBat     CDde   BPDde     IWBsu

SKsu

Mentality and team instructions basically come down to the following:

Positive

- play out of defence, shorter passing, be more expressive (optionally Work ball into box)

- counter-press (can be a double-edged sword though)

- higher DL, higher LOE, offside trap

Both strikers and both wide midfielders - close down more (PI)

However, this style of play is easier (and safer) to achieve with a 4123 than 442/4411.

i love the first formation you posted here gives me ideas for future saves.

Was just thinking, would the WM playing right side of midfield not be beast served as a WM/A, with what looks like a left sided overload?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

Was just thinking, would the WM playing right side of midfield not be beast served as a WM/A, with what looks like a left sided overload?

I would play the RWM on attack in the second setup, rather than the first. Also, instead of the DLP, the LM could be used as a WP. Like this:

DLF/F9

SS

WPsu     CMde    BBM     WMat

FBat       CD       BPD        IWBsu

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...