Promoted to the Prem 3 Seasons Too Early

You heard it...

5 consecutive promotions with Chester City, albeit the last one being extremely lucky, means we'll be playing in the Premier League. 

We've had to hire DW Stadium as the Deva only occupies 5,000 odd. 

We've peaked way before our time, and our squad is technically not ready. I'm not far enough into my save to compare to other teams, but you can see from this screenshot how bad (relatively) we are.

1.thumb.png.d4d34a67d6d0aacdb4b3d4f9d0f27650.png

So I would like to get some ideas, on what would work tactically over the next 1-2 years which will hopefully mean I don't get relegated.

I have no idea on the style I would like to play. I would just like to survive and push on for a mid table finish in the next couple of years.

Any advice for a guy who has played FM since the CM days but has never played outside of the Premier League with the very best teams?

With some suggestions on what might work, I can start to build the tactic :)

Obviously we still have a whole pre-season to get through which means we can bring in reinforcements better than the current crop, but still no-one I believe that would light the PL up.

Thank you :)

Edited by ashlfcowen

7 minutes ago, ashlfcowen said:

You heard it...

5 consecutive promotions with Chester City, albeit the last one being extremely lucky, means we'll be playing in the Premier League. 

We've had to hire DW Stadium as the Deva only occupies 5,000 odd. 

We've peaked way before our time, and our squad is technically not ready. I'm not far enough into my save to compare to other teams, but you can see from this screenshot how bad (relatively) we are.

1.thumb.png.d4d34a67d6d0aacdb4b3d4f9d0f27650.png

So I would like to get some ideas, on what would work tactically over the next 1-2 years which will hopefully mean I don't get relegated.

I have no idea on the style I would like to play. I would just like to survive and push on for a mid table finish in the next couple of years.

Any advice for a guy who has played FM since the CM days but has never played outside of the Premier League with the very best teams?

With some suggestions on what might work, I can start to build the tactic :)

Obviously we still have a whole pre-season to get through which means we can bring in reinforcements better than the current crop, but still no-one I believe that would light the PL up.

Thank you :)

Use an exploit tactic.

You must have been doing that already to get 5 consecutive promotions with a team as bad as Chester.

Highly realistic that.

Just now, FMunderachiever said:

Use an exploit tactic.

You must have been doing that already to get 5 consecutive promotions with a team as bad as Chester.

Highly realistic that.

You can make your own mind up as to whether you think this is an exploit tactic (obviously there has been some tweaking along the way for the last 5 seasons but the foundations have stayed the same)

tactic.thumb.jpg.82197cf56b5073dd30dafe6847585ab2.jpg

I don't wish to exploit anything, I would prefer to better understand what the process is that I now need to consider in order to stay up for the next season or two.

1 minute ago, ashlfcowen said:

You can make your own mind up as to whether you think this is an exploit tactic (obviously there has been some tweaking along the way for the last 5 seasons but the foundations have stayed the same)

tactic.thumb.jpg.82197cf56b5073dd30dafe6847585ab2.jpg

I don't wish to exploit anything, I would prefer to better understand what the process is that I now need to consider in order to stay up for the next season or two.

The point is no tactic in the history of football should get a team like Chester from the non league to Premier League in 5 years.

It makes me lose respect for the game.

Just now, FMunderachiever said:

The point is no tactic in the history of football should get a team like Chester from the non league to Premier League in 5 years.

We have signed 41 players in the last 5 seasons.
We have brought in maybe 5x the amount of that on trial
My scouts have worked non-stop to get as much comprehensive information as possible on players who would fit into our tactic and first team
We have had two senior affiliates in Leeds and Ipswich who we have loaned players from successfully
I controlled everything from the above points

I get your cynicism, and I guess my approach to the above is unrealistic (because which manager would micromanage like that, right?) but my point is that we didn't keep the same starting 11 for the whole 5 seasons. I spent the time and energy to ensure we improved our squad over time. Probably more so than the AI did which has helped contribute to our promotions.

unless you do something extraordinarily, you will go straight back down. Use the PL money and parachute payments to heavily reinvest in the infrastructure and playing squad so you’re better equipped the next time you go up. 

13 minutes ago, Lurkin said:

unless you do something extraordinarily, you will go straight back down. Use the PL money and parachute payments to heavily reinvest in the infrastructure and playing squad so you’re better equipped the next time you go up. 

This is going to be a miserable season, isn't it. 

Board won't improve anything. I've already asked :D

4 minutes ago, ashlfcowen said:

Well, you haven't got the money yet. Regardless of how you do in the PL, you'll get a pile (around £80m, I think) in TV money, and then £40m in parachute money if you go down. The board may be more accommodating after that :).

16 minutes ago, ashlfcowen said:

This is going to be a miserable season, isn't it. 

Aha yep.

I got Peterborough promoted back to back last FM and the PL season was miserable. Scraped about 20 points and finished bottom, thankfully the money I got helped massively when we were promoted again. 

PL money is ridiculous 

4 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

To be fair it's unlikely but not completely unheard of when you look at how teams like Bournemouth went from League 2 in 2009/10 to Premier League in 2015/16 with 3 promotions in 6 years.

To be able to achieve it in FM, though, I imagine a few strategically timed saves would be needed.

Fastest rise I ever managed was Bath City from Vanarama South to Premier League in 8 seasons. The jump from non-league to League 2 and then from League 1 up to Championship level I found required 1 or 2 seasons of consolidation before being able to push up again.