5-3-2 Tactic Tips Wanted

This is a tactic I made pretty quickly and it has been quite sucessful for me so far but i would like to know if there are some obvious changes i could make to improve it, im keen to learn more about how roles work on players and what partnerships match up well, if anyone has any tips or suggestions on what i should change and why, please can you let me know.

Also i cannot get Mariano to score or assist at all and almost every game he has a low rating but I dont know what I can change to get him performing better, I do have him set to target man which i know probably isn't ideal as he's only 5"11 but im not sure what role to change him to that will suit his partner an advanced forward.

Thanks

FM2020.thumb.png.1254cfb7e1d214731c4a764bee38dccc.png

3 minutes ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

Overlap: Unneeded.

Low crosses: Unneeded.

Play out of defence: Unneeded.

Distribute to Centre: Unneeded.

Counter: Unneeded.

Counter-Press: No.

Higher-Line of Engagement: No.

Get Stuck In: No.

More Urgent: No.

Individual instructions counts a lot too, that's half the story.

I wasnt aware all of them selected would be an issue, would it be too long winded to explain why i should unselect all of these? As for individual instructions i have almost none selected apart from the strikers to shoot more and zaha to dribble more, thanks though i will give it a try

Edited by Kkizza

7 minutes ago, Kkizza said:

I wasnt aware all of them selected would be an issue, would it be too long winded to explain why i should unselect all of these? As for individual instructions i have almost none selected apart from the strikers to shoot more and zaha to dribble more, thanks though i will give it a try

It's useless to put so much instructions on the match engine. Overlap with who? You have no wings, WB will definitely go up anyway (also you can put WB to Support since you are uncovered in the defensive phase, they will still go up while you are now prone to counterattacks).

I find individual instructions more important than team instructions. Strikers already shoot, that will mean that they will shoot even against defenders and at akward positions.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

11 minutes ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

It's useless to put so much instructions on the match engine. Overlap with who? You have no wings, WB will definitely go up anyway (also you can put WB to Support since you are uncovered in the defensive phase, they will still go up while you are now prone to counterattacks).

I find individual instructions more important than team instructions. Strikers already shoot, that will mean that they will shoot even against defenders and at akward positions.

The only reason I put overlap on was so my WB's would fly up the pitch and be a main outlet for the ball out wide but I suppose they'll do that normally anyway, in regards to counter and counter-press should I just leave them both blank?

Is there any vital or obvious player instructions to add and should I change my strikers roles or are they fine?

Edited by Kkizza

1 hour ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

Overlap: Unneeded.

Low crosses: Unneeded.

Play out of defence: Unneeded.

Distribute to Centre: Unneeded.

Counter: Unneeded.

Counter-Press: No.

Higher-Line of Engagement: No.

Get Stuck In: No.

More Urgent: No.

Individual instructions counts a lot too, that's half the story.

If you give advice, we try to encourage people to explain why you consider things to be unneeded or needed as that can help understanding :thup:.

1 hour ago, Kkizza said:

The only reason I put overlap on was so my WB's would fly up the pitch and be a main outlet for the ball out wide but I suppose they'll do that normally anyway, in regards to counter and counter-press should I just leave them both blank?

Is there any vital or obvious player instructions to add and should I change my strikers roles or are they fine?

TIs and PIs are primarily there to help you define / refine certain styles of play or specific requirements (such as a high defensive line or heavier than normal pressing for example). 

When you select a Mentality it preselects a whole bunch of TIs so adjusting them further may not be needed (or ref. my first sentence).  It also adjusts individual player mentality which you can view on their individual player instruction screens.  So (for example) a Wingback (support) combined with a Defensive Mentality will have a lower individual mentality than if you were using the Attacking Mentality.  Thus your Wingback's (or other player's) willingness to make forward runs will be affected by your chosen Mentality.

Your Duty selection will also impact your player's willingness to make forward runs.  Above you are using Wingback (attack) so they'll be flying up the pitch anyway.

This is a long winded way of saying only add in tactical instructions if you see a need to, not just because you may think you need to - and consider how Mentality affects your players :).

4 hours ago, Kkizza said:

They will already do that without instructions. The best advice I can give is: toggle everything, see how the players play then add instructions if needed. The most important things in this game (imho) are player positioning in the field (you want to cover most of the field without leaving spaces when you project you team in offense or when you press), roles (BBM, Mezzala, etc.), and attitude (defend, support, attack); these three makes the most out of your play. See how players react then change those three things accordingly, after that you can begin to add instructions (only if needed), individual too. Don't overdo or you will unbalance it.

Be careful to not leave spaces when your WB go ahead; you can make one more offensive than the other, so one go up while the other down-shift when needed (in Italy we call it 'scalare di posizione').

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

If you give advice, we try to encourage people to explain why you consider things to be unneeded or needed as that can help understanding :thup:.

Will try to. Generally I explain after if requested.

6 hours ago, Kkizza said:

This is a tactic I made pretty quickly and it has been quite sucessful for me so far but i would like to know if there are some obvious changes i could make to improve it, im keen to learn more about how roles work on players and what partnerships match up well, if anyone has any tips or suggestions on what i should change and why, please can you let me know.

If your tactic is successful, why would you want to change it?  

But my suggestion is it seems like you're playing two different styles.  You've got some roles and TIs for a counter attacking style (pass into space, distribute quickly, TM on attack, wing backs on attack) and some other roles and TIs for possession play (play out of defense, overlaps, counter-press, distribute to center backs, two playmakers close to one another).  So if I were to change this tactic I would either play it a full counter attacking style or a fully possession depending on your players and how you expect the opposition to set up.  

6 hours ago, Kkizza said:

Also i cannot get Mariano to score or assist at all and almost every game he has a low rating but I dont know what I can change to get him performing better, I do have him set to target man which i know probably isn't ideal as he's only 5"11 but im not sure what role to change him to that will suit his partner an advanced forward.

I personally love the target man so as long as Mariano has the attributes for it (strength, balance, off the ball, jumping reach, work rate), you can still use him there.  Target men need space and support to be successful.  You're playing with a high LOE and he is on attack.  Most likely what is happening is he is surrounded by players when he is being passed the ball so he either loses it quickly or doesn't even receive it.  So think about how you can get your TM more support and more space.  

7 hours ago, Kkizza said:

FM2020.thumb.png.1254cfb7e1d214731c4a764bee38dccc.png

7 hours ago, Kkizza said:

This is a tactic I made pretty quickly and it has been quite sucessful for me so far but i would like to know if there are some obvious changes i could make to improve it

I personally don't like this tactic, but if it works for you - then better don't change it (as long as it works). That's always my advice to people who say their tactic works well for them. Don't change something that works and thus risk spoiling it. If/when it stops working, come again and ask for advice :thup:

6 hours ago, herne79 said:

TIs and PIs are primarily there to help you define / refine certain styles of play or specific requirements (such as a high defensive line or heavier than normal pressing for example). 

When you select a Mentality it preselects a whole bunch of TIs so adjusting them further may not be needed (or ref. my first sentence).  It also adjusts individual player mentality which you can view on their individual player instruction screens.  So (for example) a Wingback (support) combined with a Defensive Mentality will have a lower individual mentality than if you were using the Attacking Mentality.  Thus your Wingback's (or other player's) willingness to make forward runs will be affected by your chosen Mentality.

Your Duty selection will also impact your player's willingness to make forward runs.  Above you are using Wingback (attack) so they'll be flying up the pitch anyway.

This is a long winded way of saying only add in tactical instructions if you see a need to, not just because you may think you need to - and consider how Mentality affects your players :).

Hmm yeah I think I was probably overdoing it with the TI's and telling players to do what their roles will make them do anyway.

I've never really thought about the mentality and what individual changes it makes to the players only the TI's I've really thought about when switching it so I'll take into account going forward!

Thanks for your help :)

3 hours ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

They will already do that without instructions. The best advice I can give is: toggle everything, see how the players play then add instructions if needed. The most important things in this game (imho) are player positioning in the field (you want to cover most of the field without leaving spaces when you project you team in offense or when you press), roles (BBM, Mezzala, etc.), and attitude (defend, support, attack); these three makes the most out of your play. See how players react then change those three things accordingly, after that you can begin to add instructions (only if needed), individual too. Don't overdo or you will unbalance it.

Be careful to not leave spaces when your WB go ahead; you can make one more offensive than the other, so one go up while the other down-shift when needed (in Italy we call it 'scalare di posizione').

Will try to. Generally I explain after if requested.

Thanks for the tips, I have basically removed most of the TI's and I'll slowly add/remove things and see how it all changes and go from there as I was probably overdoing it.

I had them both on attack as I think 1 DLP and 3 CB's should be good enough cover but I'll look at having two on different duties 

3 hours ago, prched55 said:

If your tactic is successful, why would you want to change it?  

But my suggestion is it seems like you're playing two different styles.  You've got some roles and TIs for a counter attacking style (pass into space, distribute quickly, TM on attack, wing backs on attack) and some other roles and TIs for possession play (play out of defense, overlaps, counter-press, distribute to center backs, two playmakers close to one another).  So if I were to change this tactic I would either play it a full counter attacking style or a fully possession depending on your players and how you expect the opposition to set up.  

I personally love the target man so as long as Mariano has the attributes for it (strength, balance, off the ball, jumping reach, work rate), you can still use him there.  Target men need space and support to be successful.  You're playing with a high LOE and he is on attack.  Most likely what is happening is he is surrounded by players when he is being passed the ball so he either loses it quickly or doesn't even receive it.  So think about how you can get your TM more support and more space.  

Well I'm keen to learn more about the game and formations etc so if there was any obvious changes then I'd like to know what they are and then fix them to make the tactic better, for example I wasnt aware I had conflicting playstyles in my tactic so it's good to learn that.

In regards to the target man what changes would you reccomend to get him more involved?

59 minutes ago, Kkizza said:

In regards to the target man what changes would you reccomend to get him more involved?

I think it really depends on what you see when your tactic plays out in the match engine during games.  But I imagine he is just isolated or isn't a viable passing option for other players.  I would drop your aggressive pressing by unticking counter-press and dropping your LOE one notch.  Then switch your APat and BBM so he can provide more support to the TM and then switching the TM from attack to support.  

But building on what @herne79 was saying above, each change you make in your system can have knock on effects to other parts of your system.  So don't make a lot of changes at once.