How to test your competitions IN the editor

ratio1618

So you have just made a lovely little competition in the editor, its verified and ready to be saved and loaded into your save for you to test for any issues that may happen.

Well did you know that you are actually able to simulate seasons INSIDE OF THE EDITOR? Maybe you do, but a surprisingly large amount of people i talk to didn't even know it existed OR DID but didn't know how to check anything. 

Here's how it works, i will use my Confederations Trophy as an example.

First off make sure your comp is verified, then click on "test competitons" shown here

image.thumb.png.5d0b8c05667ce6c53166b651a6099b95.png

Now you want to add the comp you made, if you made a multi tiered comp you want to pick the lowest tier (no need to pick every single comp)

image.thumb.png.f08c12265eb16fcdd4d30ab7c5bab530.png

Now hit create new test and you will see the above image with a start and end date to simulate.

NOTE: If it creates a new test and instead of the default 2022 end date it only goes to 2020 then you can either manually enter the end year or there is a problem with your competition verification didnt pick up (this happens more when using advanced rules) However if you manually enter a date and try to run a simulation you have a chance that the editor will crash, then you 100% have an issue with your competition.

Now all you have to do is hit "Run to date" and it will start to simulate and run the competitions.

Here is where i see alot of people get stuck and not realize how to actually see the results, this is because its all hidden in the "database" section of the editor.

However to make it easier you will notice a structure on the left hand panel.
image.thumb.png.380f50f9b01b632be408736ecccffeb1.png

For me its in international comp so its only simming to that level, however if you are doing a nation rule competition you will see International>Intercontinental>continent>nation
Click on any of these and you will see everything that simulated and for how many years etc.

image.thumb.png.d444710e222031df94e8cad2cfffc098.png

Double click on what competition you want to view the results of 
image.thumb.png.798ef0498e62cdc2cacbd3f75f03930a.png

Here you will see the test option appear. Opening this will show you every year you simulated.
image.thumb.png.cc3bb356861395d4cf06f758094f9190.png

Here is where all the results and stuff is displayed. from final rankings of teams to individual game results.

Personally the most important part of this whole thing is the events screen as it shows every single important event that happened in the year of the comp that simulated.

image.thumb.png.82452db5b8184e869feebaab9848c922.png

I feel this is vital for when things aren't working right as it will tell you what stages aren't finishing, or if teams arent qualifying for comps right. There is also sometimes errors that occur that arent SO important that they break a database but are potential issues (usually based around reputation "process boost" either going up or down based on performance in any particular comp

Basically thats all there is too it. have a look around in the different drop down boxes and save yourself the hassle of reloading your game every single time you wanna test a competition out.
Hope this was helpful, have a nice day and let me know if i missed anything vital.

3 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

Yeah events screen is very important because you can see what caused some stage to stop or any other problem. Very usefull feature.

BTW have you fixed your OFC problem?

Sure did, the default DB one is 100% broken so i had the big brained idea of just like...deleting it and replacing it? Then it drew teams perfectly fine even in basic rules, reaffirming my point that the default DB one actually doesn't work well at all and hasn't for a number of years.

Im assuming that it has sorta just been left to rot since there is literally 0 OFC representation so it doesn't need to work in the "core" game but you would think by now they would be aware editors were a thing? I dunno doesn't matter its fixed and i have a fully working league and OFC CL in the downloads section.

Also worth noting that you only have to verify the last league . You don't have to verify all of your created leagues . So if you have 10 leagues in a pyramid then just save and verify the last league . This will check all the above leagues as well then save edited data and go to your game and it will start the game at your lowest league selected .

1 hour ago, prot651 said:

Also worth noting that you only have to verify the last league . You don't have to verify all of your created leagues . So if you have 10 leagues in a pyramid then just save and verify the last league . This will check all the above leagues as well then save edited data and go to your game and it will start the game at your lowest league selected .

"Now you want to add the comp you made, if you made a multi tiered comp you want to pick the lowest tier (no need to pick every single comp)"

I mentioned that :)

15 hours ago, prot651 said:

Its very good when you cant figure out why your competition stopped or why somestage never start. You have many info on "events" screen. No need to use this in some basic system - but when you create some crazy system like i tried for some guys here -for example @mentese and his crazy turkish lower league system :D  - this is very usefull feature.

• 4 months later...

On 10/12/2019 at 01:34, ratio1618 said:

So you have just made a lovely little competition in the editor, its verified and ready to be saved and loaded into your save for you to test for any issues that may happen.

Well did you know that you are actually able to simulate seasons INSIDE OF THE EDITOR? Maybe you do, but a surprisingly large amount of people i talk to didn't even know it existed OR DID but didn't know how to check anything. 

Here's how it works, i will use my Confederations Trophy as an example.

First off make sure your comp is verified, then click on "test competitons" shown here

image.thumb.png.5d0b8c05667ce6c53166b651a6099b95.png

Now you want to add the comp you made, if you made a multi tiered comp you want to pick the lowest tier (no need to pick every single comp)

image.thumb.png.f08c12265eb16fcdd4d30ab7c5bab530.png

Now hit create new test and you will see the above image with a start and end date to simulate.

NOTE: If it creates a new test and instead of the default 2022 end date it only goes to 2020 then you can either manually enter the end year or there is a problem with your competition verification didnt pick up (this happens more when using advanced rules) However if you manually enter a date and try to run a simulation you have a chance that the editor will crash, then you 100% have an issue with your competition.

Now all you have to do is hit "Run to date" and it will start to simulate and run the competitions.

Here is where i see alot of people get stuck and not realize how to actually see the results, this is because its all hidden in the "database" section of the editor.

However to make it easier you will notice a structure on the left hand panel.
image.thumb.png.380f50f9b01b632be408736ecccffeb1.png

For me its in international comp so its only simming to that level, however if you are doing a nation rule competition you will see International>Intercontinental>continent>nation
Click on any of these and you will see everything that simulated and for how many years etc.

image.thumb.png.d444710e222031df94e8cad2cfffc098.png

Double click on what competition you want to view the results of 
image.thumb.png.798ef0498e62cdc2cacbd3f75f03930a.png

Here you will see the test option appear. Opening this will show you every year you simulated.
image.thumb.png.cc3bb356861395d4cf06f758094f9190.png

Here is where all the results and stuff is displayed. from final rankings of teams to individual game results.

Personally the most important part of this whole thing is the events screen as it shows every single important event that happened in the year of the comp that simulated.

image.thumb.png.82452db5b8184e869feebaab9848c922.png

I feel this is vital for when things aren't working right as it will tell you what stages aren't finishing, or if teams arent qualifying for comps right. There is also sometimes errors that occur that arent SO important that they break a database but are potential issues (usually based around reputation "process boost" either going up or down based on performance in any particular comp

Basically thats all there is too it. have a look around in the different drop down boxes and save yourself the hassle of reloading your game every single time you wanna test a competition out.
Hope this was helpful, have a nice day and let me know if i missed anything vital.

Hi, how can you test Continental rules? I am attempting to test an alternative Champions League/Europa League format, but when I try to test the rules in Test Competitions, I can only see the tabs for International & Intercontinental? IS there something I am missing?

Edited by rhills86
error

• 1 year later...
On 24/04/2020 at 18:44, rhills86 said:

Hi, how can you test Continental rules? I am attempting to test an alternative Champions League/Europa League format, but when I try to test the rules in Test Competitions, I can only see the tabs for International & Intercontinental? IS there something I am missing?

I too am struggling to see my test results for continental cup competition levels. After I run the test the test results do not appear on the left hand side. Please can someone tell me where I am going wrong?

On 20/07/2021 at 23:13, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I too am struggling to see my test results for continental cup competition levels. After I run the test the test results do not appear on the left hand side. Please can someone tell me where I am going wrong?

i think this doesnt work for continental rules for some reason. Probably because its hardcoded.

21 hours ago, krlenjushka said:

i think this doesnt work for continental rules for some reason. Probably because its hardcoded.

Really? Amazing. What a shame. So the only way to test it is set up a holiday save then I guess. Alot longer to do but the only way by the looks of it.