What if you couldn't rage quit?

Well you can't on Motorsport Manager. What if that was applied to FM?

Would we still get all these stories about getting Canvey Island to the Premier League or York City in Europe or even Norwich winning the World Club Championship?

Would it make the game better if it was more realistic?

I've played this game since the original in 1993 and haven't rage quit once. 

That's not to say there hasn't been times where I've been frustrated beyond belief with it, but what I tend to do is save the game after the match and turn of FM for a while before going back to it in a better state of mind. 

The only times I've replayed matches is if the game has crashed. When that happens I'll save and reload until I get a similar result(s) from the first time. 

I have to admit used to be a serial rage quitter when I have 16 shots on target and my opponent has 1 and I lose 1-0

But with FM20 I am reformed. If that happens to me I will save the game, quit and come back the next day when I have calmed down.

I just don't believe all the stories about getting National League sides into winning the Champions League in 6 seasons unless they are serial rage quitters.

Play the game how you want to, I get that but we all know that is impossible  without multiple rage quitting

1 hour ago, SkyFlare said:

Rage quit is a blessing. Having the load game enabled while in a match would be the best feature they could add.

It used to be the case that you could do that. Don't know why they took it out.

2 hours ago, Triffid said:

What if that was applied to FM?

I saw some people want an 'ironman' sort of thing, maybe they will like that sort of challenge.

2 hours ago, Triffid said:

ould we still get all these stories about getting Canvey Island to the Premier League or York City in Europe or even Norwich winning the World Club Championship?

Maybe, maybe not. 

Let me ask you though. Who cares?

It's a single player game, if someone wants to save-scum, let them. It's no skin off my nose. 

If save-scumming is an 'issue' with the game, then the way to resolve that is to eliminate the need for save-scumming, which for some people may be tuning down the difficulty and giving them wins on a plate, but then some people want to play for that reason, so let them.

1 hour ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Let me ask you though. Who cares?

Spot on. If you don't rage quit, then what does it matter? It's your game, so play it the way you want to. There's external tools that can be used. wanna use em, then go ahead.  Only person you cheat is yourself.. imho

i for one would be pretty upset if measures were put into place to force an "iron man" mode on to us. I usually always start in the lower leagues and some seasons I basically decide that I want to be promoted so I will ensure that happens. Sometimes I will create a fairytale scenario where I will ensure that a team from North Ireland will make it to the group stage of the champions league. And USA will always win the World Cup. 

You will also never hear me say "look at all my accomplishments". The ability to play "God" is something that has always kept me playing. Now they could create a optional checkbox for an ironman mode, like the prevent editor use, and I would be fine with that.

6 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

i for one would be pretty upset if measures were put into place to force an "iron man" mode on to us. I usually always start in the lower leagues and some seasons I basically decide that I want to be promoted so I will ensure that happens. Sometimes I will create a fairytale scenario where I will ensure that a team from North Ireland will make it to the group stage of the champions league. And USA will always win the World Cup. 

You will also never hear me say "look at all my accomplishments". The ability to play "God" is something that has always kept me playing. Now they could create a optional checkbox for an ironman mode, like the prevent editor use, and I would be fine with that.

TBF most games that have "ironman" mode make it optional.  The only thing it takes away from non-ironmode users is their ability to achieve most, if not all the Steam Achievements. 

The concept of people getting upset about how a complete stranger plays a staunchly single player game always baffles me.  People want to save scum every single game so they finish unbeaten, fire in.  Let people play the game however they want.

15 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I've played this game since the original in 1993 and haven't rage quit once. 

That's not to say there hasn't been times where I've been frustrated beyond belief with it, but what I tend to do is save the game after the match and turn of FM for a while before going back to it in a better state of mind. 

The only times I've replayed matches is if the game has crashed. When that happens I'll save and reload until I get a similar result(s) from the first time. 

I'm a bit like you I'll turn of the game after say a bad loss that's frustrated the life our of me, I won't save the game after that loss but after a wee break I'll go back to an earlier save and see where i went wrong and try and do it better.

I never do it myself and whilst I acknowledge everyone should play as they want I just don't see the point when the game is so open ended.  The losses become part of your managers journey, with every defeat then success becomes all the more sweet

I'll be honest i'm a little shocked that so many do this, i'd love to know the demographics and the quality of side they manage.  No judgement just think it would be interesting

Unless people start to give tactical advice based on their "success" in FM, I don't really care how people play their game.

Of course it's highly suspicious when you see dozens of people winning back-to-back promotions all the way to the EPL with Bumfluff FC, but we've all played long enough to know overachieving is basically FM's "default mode" and barring some spectacularly incompetent choices (or rotten luck), pretty much anyone can reach the ELP and CL football with almost any side. How long it takes them is the actual indicator of how believable and "fair" their journey has been.

If the forum's tactical gurus need 20 seasons to complete the Gibraltar challenge or something similar, it's unlikely than John Doe could make it in 10 without taking shortcuts. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but at least you'd expect them NOT to bloat about it, much less them spreading half-assed tactical advice to unsuspecting users.

Not that cheating, save-scumming or rage-quitting are really a necessity after a couple of seasons anyway...

IMO, past the 5-years threshold, all save-scumming can achieve is an undefeated season (instead of a 28-8-2 one) or to get a slightly better CL/WC draw. But it stops being a game-changing factor as the AI's odd strategies and the human player's innate advantage will kick in big time.

P.S. I've been rage-quitting since CM2 and frankly I don't plan on stopping doing it whenever I feel the game is BSing me. It's become less prevalent than in the past (I'm not 15 anymore, so I don't really care as much) but at times I just can't help it.
(and in FM20 the missed penalty thing is quite a challenge...)

38 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

Unless people start to give tactical advice based on their "success" in FM, I don't really care how people play their game.

This, pretty much. Actually in general I dislike when people brag about their exploits that have been achieved via save scumming and/or use of a downloaded tactic. However I can easily just not read threads like this (and indeed I do not), so it is all fine. People can play the game however they want, and I cannot see the point in judging them on it. The only time I feel the need to call people out is, as you say, when they are offering spurious advice.

I have not rage quit in a very long time now. I do not see the point. Hell, the last time I did it was because a bug gave my team a goal that did not exist to let me win. Which I was not happy with so I replayed the game (and won fairly this time). Sometimes you just lose, and that is fine. I play so goddam slowly that if I was save scumming I would never get a season finished.

2 hours ago, Carninho said:

is quitting without saving much different to people that use the 3rd party scouting tools or download shared tactics?

Not really.  They fall under the same umbrella of "who cares?" when it comes to a single player game.  All three are similarly using means that the average user won't, that arguably go against the spirit of the game.  Much like editing all your players to have full attributes so you can smash through teams.  It's all completely up to the individual user.

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

Not really.  They fall under the same umbrella of "who cares?" when it comes to a single player game.  All three are similarly using means that the average user won't, that arguably go against the spirit of the game.  Much like editing all your players to have full attributes so you can smash through teams.  It's all completely up to the individual user.

yeah agree. I  missed that line from my post.. everyone plays the game their own way.

I've done it on occasions where -

A - I feel the game has FM'd me  (i am fully aware that it does'nt do that but the feels are real )

B- Got to a cup final and thought im not slogging through all those rounds just to lose in the final (looking at you Europa League)

C- Game crashes so have to reply, will replay that match until i get the same result (unless i originally lost and then won second time- that i can live with lol)

Its a slippery slope though as you do it once, then it becomes easier to justify the next time

But the correct answer is that your game, your save - do whatever you want 

1 hour ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I have not rage quit in a very long time now. I do not see the point. Hell, the last time I did it was because a bug gave my team a goal that did not exist to let me win. Which I was not happy with so I replayed the game (and won fairly this time). Sometimes you just lose, and that is fine. I play so goddam slowly that if I was save scumming I would never get a season finished.

I had quite a few of these 'match divergence' cases on FM13, where the scoreline would suddenly change and add a goal that didn't exist in the highlights. I would always quit and replay the match, regardless of if the phantom goal benefited my team or the opposition. This even happened in an FA Cup Final once (a phantom goal put us 3-2 up, so I restarted... and we won 3-0 :D).

Other than with match divergences and crashes, in the last five years, I've only quit and reloaded a match once. That was on FM19. I was going through a horrible period in my personal life, and my Shrewsbury team was on a lengthy losing streak which continued when Oxford scored a 90th-minute winner.

Without thinking, I just hit ALT + F4, then ENTER. I nearly stopped playing that save altogether as a result, though I decided to carry on... but not until replaying that match until Oxford won again (which took about 14 attempts).

Never again.

18 hours ago, Triffid said:

Well you can't on Motorsport Manager. What if that was applied to FM?

Would we still get all these stories about getting Canvey Island to the Premier League or York City in Europe or even Norwich winning the World Club Championship?

Would it make the game better if it was more realistic?

In Motorsport Manager you could save and reload even during the race or just before the start of a GP (so if your drivers have a bad start you could literally "ragequit" and reload to get a better start), so I don't understand what you're talking about

image.thumb.png.8dd7dc5ad92ee766019767e2987fc17d.png

Ended up with 8 men, in all the reds and opposition pens there was the comment "harsh decision/didn't look like a foul" - ref got a 5.5 which is absolute bs. So yeah, easiest rage quit of my life. 

EDIT: The replay:

image.thumb.png.9ae3536a93dc242885f9e024b42da059.png

And I feel god damn good about this.

Edited by SkyFlare