FM20 - Arsenal: Time For Artekkers Tiki Taka Tactics?

SteveUK

Arsenal F.C
                                                                                                                                    The Gunners
                                                                                                                                                   Image result for arsenal badge

The Emirates Stadium

Image result for emirates stadium                                 Image result for emirates stadium

2019/2020 Season Kits
   image.thumb.png.be9d705e417fdbc29dadc60271affcd9.png            image.thumb.png.e74ba67b6b37878f56c9bedbbfd0c0c2.png             image.thumb.png.6b7dc7795f195a42b5802f77cd9069a0.png                       image.thumb.png.ac4c4be429aab4d4a4da13ad275a3a6e.png

2018–2019: Post Wenger Era

After conducting an overhaul in the club's operating model to coincide with Wenger's departure, Basque-Spaniard Unai Emery was named as the club's new head coach on 23 May 2018. He would become the club's first ever 'head coach', while also their second ever manager from outside the United Kingdom. In Emery's first season, Arsenal finished fifth in the Premier League and reached the final of the Europa League, where they lost 4-1 to Chelsea.

On November 29, 2019, Emery was sacked after a 2–1 defeat at home to Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League group stages. The club were on a seven game winless run across all competitions and there was a eight point gap to fourth place in the Premier League after 13 games. Former player and assistant first team coach Freddie Ljungberg was appointed as the interim head-coach

Emery's record was - Played 78, Won 43, Drew 16, Lost 19 with a win percentage of 55.1%, a respectable record on paper.                                                                                                                                                                             *All information taken from wikipedia

Edited by SteveUK

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Squad

Goalkeepers

Spoiler

Name: Bernd Leno
Value:  £33.5 million
Current Rating: 3.5 Stars
Potential Rating: 4 Stars
Suggestion: 1st Choice Keeper.

Name: Emiliano Martinez
Value:  £11.75 million
Current Rating: 2.5 Stars
Potential Rating: 3 Stars
Suggestion: Decent back up, not really got the potential to be first choice so i recommend looking for a replacement in the future, not urgent though.

Name: Matt Macey
Value: £550k
Current Rating: 2 Stars
Potential Rating: 2.5 Stars
Suggestion: Sell.

Defenders

Spoiler

Name: Hector Bellerin
Value: £34 million
Suggestion: Best RB/WB at the club, should be first choice, look for decent back up or you will be relying on Maitland-Niles or Chambers to fill the roll here, which neither are really suitable.

Name: Kieran Tierney
Value: £27.5 million
Potential Rating: 4.5 Stars
Suggestion: Best LB/WB at the club, should be first choice, has huge potential, and leadership qualities, possible future captain.

Name: Sokratis Papastathopoulos
Value: £27 million
Potential Rating: 3.5 Stars
Suggestion: Papa is reaching the end of his time at the top level, decent enough for first season, look to moving him on or using as a squad player (High wages though).

Name: Rob Holding
Value: £19 million
Current Rating: 2.5 Stars
Suggestion: Homegrown and Potential to be a first choice CB, give him game time.

Name: Shkodran Mustafi
Value: £22.5 million
Current Rating: 3 Stars
Suggestion: Poor mental stats let him down, use as a squad player or sell to help fund replacements!

Name: Calum Chambers
Value: £20.5 million
Suggestion: Calum like Holding he has potential but needs game time, he's homegrown and very versatile, able to play CB, RB and DM i would use as a squad player.

Name: David Luiz
Value: £19.25 million
Suggestion: With Papa, Luiz will likely be your starting CB pairing, okay for the first season, would look to move on as like Papa he is old and is eating up a sizeable chunk of the wage budget.

Name: Konstantinos Mavropanos
Value:  £10 million
Suggestion: Decent potential, might be difficult to give him, Rob and Calum all game time assuming you keep all three, possibly loan him out if you don't plan on selling any of the current CB's 

Name: Sead Kolasinac
Value: £29.5 million
Suggestion: Sead is a solid backup for Tierney, poor mentally though, often find a lot of clubs become interested in signing him.

Midfielders

Spoiler

Name: Mesut Ozil
Value: £41 million
Current Rating: 3.5 Stars
Potential Rating: 3.5 Stars
Suggestion: Mesut is our most creative player but also our most expensive in terms of wages, very difficult to move him on for a fee, in my opinion move him on as soon as you get the chance to free up his wages for investing in other areas of the squad.

Name: Dani Ceballos (Loan)
Suggestion: Good player but is only on loan at Arsenal, most likely used as cover for Ozil assuming you choose keep Ozil.

Name: Lucas Torreira
Value: £35 million
Suggestion: Lucas has the potential to be one of the best players in the team, for me he is the first midfielder on the team sheet, offers creativity and solid defensively, play as a deep lying player maker.

Name: Ainsley Maitland-Niles
Value: £19 million
Suggestion: Poor Ainsley, years of mismanagement have led this lad to not have a clue what his best position is, like Chambers he is home grown and versatile, but really is the epitome of jack of all trades master of none, i would suggest selling or using as a squad player.

Name: Joe Willock
Value: £22 million
Suggestion: Joe has potential and has plenty to offer the first team already so keep him around and use him as a squad player.

Name: Matteo Guendouzi
Value: £28.5 million
Suggestion: Even at the age of 20 he is already a cracking player, pairs well with Torreira, high potential as well which means Guendouzi could well be a starting player for you for many seasons to come.

Name: Granit Xhaka
Value: £30.5 million
Suggestion: Xhaka is a good player but i usually sell him to make funds as interest in him is reasonable and the starting transfer budget isn't much to work with.

Name: Emile Smith-Rowe
Value: £20 million
Suggestion: Decent, homegrown, plenty to offer already, squad player!.

Name: Bukayo Saka
Value: £16.5 million
Suggestion: Very much like Smith-Rowe, i would keep him in the development squad for a while unless injuries to other players mean you need to promote him to fill in.

Forwards

Spoiler

Name: Pierre-Emerick Aubamayeng
Value: £69 million
Current Rating: 4 Stars
Suggestion: First choice striker, Advanced forward in a 4-4-2, Inside forward on the left in a 4-5-1.

Name: Alexandre Lacazette
Value: £57 million
Current Rating: 4 Stars
Suggestion: First choice striker, if playing one up front i would go with Laca and put Auba on the left, pairs well with Auba in a 4-4-2.

Name: Nicolas Pepe
Value: £43 million
Potential Rating: 3.5 Stars
Suggestion: High expectations for Peps!, first choice AMR if you play a 4-5-1, play him as an inverted winger on the right, lets him cut in on his stronger left foot. Can also play as cover up front if you have injuries to Auba/Laca,

Name: Reiss Nelson
Value: £20 million
Suggestion: Decent potential and great understudy to Pepe.

Name: Gabriel Martinelli
Value: £11.75 million
Suggestion: High potential and not bad cover for the ST positions already, keep and use as a squad player.

Academy Standouts

Spoiler

Name: Folarin Balogun
Position: AMR/ST
Value: £800k
Current Rating: 1.5 Stars

Name: Tyreece John-Jules
Position: ST
Value: £950k
Current Rating: 1.5 Stars
Potential Rating: 4 Stars

Name: Ben Cottrell
Position:  MC/AMRLC
Value: £150k
Current Rating: 1 Star

Name: Miguel Azeez
Position: DM/MC
Value: £47.5k
Potential Rating:  3.5 Stars

Name: Nathan Tormey
Position: AMRL 
Value: £83k
Current Rating:  1 Star

Name: Trae Coyle
Position:  AMRLC/ST
Value: £300k

Name: Karl Jacob Hein
Position: GK
Value: £22.5k

Name: Sam Greenwood
Position:  AMRLC/ST
Value: £120k

Name: James Hillson
Position: GK
Value: £97k

Name: Catalin Cirjan
Position:  MC/AMC
Value: £50k

Suggestion: My advice would be to keep all these players in your development squad, and see how they progress, John-Jules and Balogun have the highest potential and might offer something more immediate than the rest, i usually look to loan players to Championship clubs when they get to 18-19, so depending on how they develop, have to use judgement as to when you believe they are ready for that level of football.

Players Out On Loan

Spoiler

Name: Eddie Nketiah
Position: ST/AMRL
Value: £15 million
Suggestion: On loan with Leeds, should be a squad player when he returns, has the potential to be around the same level as Auba.

Name: William Saliba
Position: DC
Value: £5.75 million
Current Rating: 2 Stars
Suggestion: Saliba should be a decent squad player when he arrives at the end of the first season, huge potential.

Name: Jordi Osei-Tutu
Position: D/WBR
Value: £475k
Potential Rating: 2 Stars

Name: Henrikh Mkhitaryan
Position: AMRLC
Value: £31 million
Potential Rating: 3 Stars
Suggestion: Roma have an option to buy Mkhi at the end of the loan contract (£22mil) hope they take it, if not sell him.

Name: Mohammed Elneny
Position: DM/MC
Suggestion: Elneny at the moment is actually a bit bugged, you see his contract actually expires 2021/22 but in game it is listed as the end of the first season which renders the optional fee Besiktas have in the loan contract irrelevant, this has been raised in the data issue thread and hopefully will be rectified in the next data update, So my advice would be to either edit the data yourself or allow him to leave at the end of his loan. When it is fixed i would advise hoping Besiktas pay the fee or sell him. 

Name: Dejan Iliev
Position: GK
Value: £375k
Potential Rating:  2.5 Stars

Name: Ben Sheaf
Position: MC/DC
Value: £500k
Current Rating: 1.5 Stars
Potential Rating:  2.5 Stars

Injuries
As it stands, the following players are injured at the start of the first season.

Rob Holding - 7 weeks to 3 months
Konstantinos Mavropanos - 2 to 4 months
Hector Bellerin - 2 to 3 months
Kieran Tierney - 2 to 3 months
Emile Smith-Rowe - 6 weeks to 2 months
Daniel Ballard - 10 to 11 months

Edited by SteveUK

Recommended Line Ups

4-4-2 Diamond                                                  4-2-3-1                                                         Potential

image.thumb.png.3c802df39e43713889c5d8e7cbc80b6b.png                      image.thumb.png.dc9247c709bdbd3618b252e8bfdd9238.png                     image.thumb.png.1033555034fbd5b81029699a858f2cf2.png

I feel a 4-4-2 Diamond and 4-2-3-1 fit the available players the best as illustrated above, the Potential line up i believe shows a clear indication of where the squad needs work going forward to ensure there is depth and quality in all positions.

Starting Budgets
                                                                                                                                      Transfer Budget: £10 million
                                                                                                                                     Available Wage Budget: £351k

A small transfer budget makes it difficult to strengthen the squad in the first window, you can raise an extra £500k from selling clauses for Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain, but besides that you will have to sell players to be able to bring any in. CB, RB and Centre midfield should be your priorities, as quality and depth is not in abundance in these positions.

Don't forget you can also join us in the Non-FM section of the Forum to discuss all things Arsenal that aren't FM Related.

Edited by SteveUK

Nice thread. I'm in my second season with Arsenal save. Managed to win Europa League in the first season and qualified for Champions League spot (4th place) after game no 37, finishing the season ahead of Chelsea by just one point. I turned off the transfer in the new season, so played with the players that I had at the start of the game.

Anyway, anybody is having difficulty in renewing contract for Nelson and Saka? Both are "extremely uninterested" to enter into negotiation with me at the moment, despite playing quite a lot in the first season i.e. Saka 31(10) and Nelson 16(13). Their contracts run out in 2022 and I'm in Oct 2020 but would like to extend the contract asap as they have very good potential.

6 minutes ago, yey said:

Nice thread. I'm in my second season with Arsenal save. Managed to win Europa League in the first season and qualified for Champions League spot (4th place) after game no 37, finishing the season ahead of Chelsea by just one point. I turned off the transfer in the new season, so played with the players that I had at the start of the game.

Anyway, anybody is having difficulty in renewing contract for Nelson and Saka? Both are "extremely uninterested" to enter into negotiation with me at the moment, despite playing quite a lot in the first season i.e. Saka 31(10) and Nelson 16(13). Their contracts run out in 2022 and I'm in Oct 2020 but would like to extend the contract asap as they have very good potential.

Well done on winning the Europa and qualifying for the Champions League!, that Saka and Nelson situation sounds very odd, i'm surprised they aren't interested in renewing contracts, especially considering what you have achieved, what background/career did you choose for yourself at the start? in the squad dynamics are the team fully behind you? i would assume they would be, but i know if you select a low reputation background for your manager it can take a much longer time to gain a squad likes Arsenal's full backing, also do they have any clubs interested in signing them?

22 minutes ago, SteveUK said:

Well done on winning the Europa and qualifying for the Champions League!, that Saka and Nelson situation sounds very odd, i'm surprised they aren't interested in renewing contracts, especially considering what you have achieved, what background/career did you choose for yourself at the start? in the squad dynamics are the team fully behind you? i would assume they would be, but i know if you select a low reputation background for your manager it can take a much longer time to gain a squad likes Arsenal's full backing, also do they have any clubs interested in signing them?

Exactly, it's very odd. I chose "Professional Footballer at National Level" with Continental Pro License. Managerial support is "Very Good". I'm trying to praise them as much as possible if they play well and see if this will change their mind. And there's no club interested in the at the moment. Oddly enough, the key players like Ozil and Bellerin agreed to extend their contracts. Will update how this progresses

Edited by yey

Put together a tactic specifically to get the best out of Arsenal over the weekend.

Still in first season, but currently undefeated in the league through 15 games.

Getting some great performances from Lacazette and Aubameyang as main goalscorers too.

Can read more about it here: :thup:

1 hour ago, yey said:

Exactly, it's very odd. I chose "Professional Footballer at National Level" with Continental Pro License. Managerial support is "Very Good". I'm trying to praise them as much as possible if they play well and see if this will change their mind. And there's no club interested in the at the moment. Oddly enough, the key players like Ozil and Bellerin agreed to extend their contracts. Will update how this progresses

In the Dynamics section, on the happiness tab, is there any feedback in there? are they satisfied in all the columns?  also right click the player and go to squad>agreed playing time, might be worth making a save then adjusting that to something more substantial then see if they will enter contract talks.

1 hour ago, gandrasch said:

I just sold Saka. He's demanding way too high wages 60k p/w. 

Playing a 433 Gegenpress which works okay. Currently shared top of the league but not as dominant as I would like it to be. 

Did you sell him in the second season? how much did you get for him?

I have been having a fantastic time playing with Arsenal this year and I am more addicted to this FM than any in recent memory. Granted, I play FMT and do 'Instant Result' for most games so a different experience than a lot of you...

My 2019/2020 was a huge success coming in third in the League (a point behind City, 6 behind Liverpool) and beating Bayer 04 in the Euro Cup Final. I played a possession oriented 4-2-3-1 with Ozil as my Playmaker with Auba as an Advanced Forward scoring 30 goals in all competitions with Lacazette bagging 15 from an Inside Forward role on the Left Wing.

For 2020/2021 my goal was to utilize the great young winger talent we have and get more athletic in the central midfield areas so that we could press more. When Ozil tore his ACL in July I knew it was time to fully transition from a Possession based 4-2-3-1 to a more Pressing oriented 4-3-3. This facilitated a number of changes as I didn't want Auba to lead the line without a playmaker behind him, we have young wingers that need game time (Nelson, Saka, Nkeitah, Smith-Rowe), and he is getting up there in age, so we sold him ($70m to Real) and purchased Haaland ($35M) to backup Lacazette in the DLF role.

We upgraded the midfield by selling Xhaka ($42M to Milan) and buying Florentino Luis ($52M from SLB). I didn't rate Willock (passing, tackling and mentals not good enough for a CM) so sent him on loan to Wolves and picked up Gagliardini ($17M from Inter) and Marcos Llorente (Loan from Athletico) as backup CM's. Also got rid of dead weight in the back line (Chambers, Holding, Mustafi, Ainsley all gone) and upgraded by purchasing Ruben Dias ($50M from SLB) to play alongside Mavropanos/Saliba.

My tactic and preferred starting eleven for 2020/2021 are below. Interestingly, I've found I have to do a TON of player rotation to avoid increasing the injury risk (perhaps a function of the high press style). As of December 1st I am tied with Liverpool for first in the league with 38 points with Pepe leading the league with 15 goals.

image.thumb.png.566d56b15d9b2c36a113169c05d2ee4b.png

Hi all

Big thanks to @SteveUK for setting this up, was just getting to a point where I wanted to do this. 

I'm coming towards the end of my first season and it's a bit bonkers. League table is as follows:

20191203203232_1.thumb.jpg.c57452e37e0f3f8c5a4b0e1d10a82672.jpg

I signed Kehrer (as it seems everyone does) and also nabbed Douglas Costa on loan (which I think might have been one of those transfers that was a bug in the beta - who knows). Then, we randomly got given another £77m in November so I went and got Fernandes as Ceballos went down with a broken ankle and as you can see from my tactic - the Mez is a key role.

Best players have been Guendouzi (brilliant in the RPM role), Pepe, Willock and Chambers (playing a lot of RB - although as I use IWB I think his DM stats help).

I have a horrible run in with Spurs and United away in my last three games but with a bit of luck City won't be close enough to make it count.

It seems a bit ridiculous to be on the verge of winning the league with this squad but hey ho. Hoping to finish season off over next few days. 

Not all plain sailing though, out of LC and FA Cup very early and about to face United in the Europa and their front two of Martial and Rashford has caused me plenty of problems already this season!

Cheers

20191203203254_1.thumb.jpg.207b3bac3f3c36884b39f57e17fee0e3.jpg

Always love your posts @BrickCommo23, also the rest of the guys in here. I do love to see more of all your results.

You are having a decent - but also realistic - season. Love Guendouzi as a box-to-box but I always fancied the RPM role. Never played with the role tho.

I play Mesut Özil as a Mezzala on attack also, but I think Bruno Fernandes would be a far better player in that role. I don't know which role you got for Özil? And Willock also. Can be a top Gunner real soon.

Great Chambers is doing good. Any experience with him as centre half?

13 hours ago, Yoeri said:

Always love your posts @BrickCommo23, also the rest of the guys in here. I do love to see more of all your results.

You are having a decent - but also realistic - season. Love Guendouzi as a box-to-box but I always fancied the RPM role. Never played with the role tho.

I play Mesut Özil as a Mezzala on attack also, but I think Bruno Fernandes would be a far better player in that role. I don't know which role you got for Özil? And Willock also. Can be a top Gunner real soon.

Great Chambers is doing good. Any experience with him as centre half?

Thanks pal. It doesn't feel very realistic on current real life form but maybe I am some sort of a tactical genius (doubtful).

At the start of the season I was playing a standard 4231 and Ozil was in the #10 role - he was OK. Not amazing but OK. And I am not sure if he got injured or I changed formations first but since going to the system I have now he's hardly figured. I haven't even bothered getting him to play U23s so his match sharpness is down at 50-odd. I'm not bothered, fully expect to get rid (somehow) in the summer. 

I haven't used Chambers as a CB at all - he has very occasionally played DM - but not CB. However, once this season is done then Sokratis and Luiz are on their way out so I will revisit then. Sokratis and Luiz have actually both been decent (Sokratis has a surprisingly high average rating) but as I want to press and play high up the pitch their lack of pace and mobility is very damaging. I got stuffed at Leicester when I had to play both at CB. 

Willock generally plays in the RPM too - been excellent. 

Once I get this season done then I can go to work on the squad. The vague plan is to keep the current system but get faster and stronger. Hoping not to sign anyone with less than 14(ish) for pace and acceleration and just run teams off the pitch. We shall see!

Finishing season tonight, hopefully!

Cheers

On 02/12/2019 at 18:07, samiam said:

I have been having a fantastic time playing with Arsenal this year and I am more addicted to this FM than any in recent memory. Granted, I play FMT and do 'Instant Result' for most games so a different experience than a lot of you...

My 2019/2020 was a huge success coming in third in the League (a point behind City, 6 behind Liverpool) and beating Bayer 04 in the Euro Cup Final. I played a possession oriented 4-2-3-1 with Ozil as my Playmaker with Auba as an Advanced Forward scoring 30 goals in all competitions with Lacazette bagging 15 from an Inside Forward role on the Left Wing.

For 2020/2021 my goal was to utilize the great young winger talent we have and get more athletic in the central midfield areas so that we could press more. When Ozil tore his ACL in July I knew it was time to fully transition from a Possession based 4-2-3-1 to a more Pressing oriented 4-3-3. This facilitated a number of changes as I didn't want Auba to lead the line without a playmaker behind him, we have young wingers that need game time (Nelson, Saka, Nkeitah, Smith-Rowe), and he is getting up there in age, so we sold him ($70m to Real) and purchased Haaland ($35M) to backup Lacazette in the DLF role.

We upgraded the midfield by selling Xhaka ($42M to Milan) and buying Florentino Luis ($52M from SLB). I didn't rate Willock (passing, tackling and mentals not good enough for a CM) so sent him on loan to Wolves and picked up Gagliardini ($17M from Inter) and Marcos Llorente (Loan from Athletico) as backup CM's. Also got rid of dead weight in the back line (Chambers, Holding, Mustafi, Ainsley all gone) and upgraded by purchasing Ruben Dias ($50M from SLB) to play alongside Mavropanos/Saliba.

My tactic and preferred starting eleven for 2020/2021 are below. Interestingly, I've found I have to do a TON of player rotation to avoid increasing the injury risk (perhaps a function of the high press style). As of December 1st I am tied with Liverpool for first in the league with 38 points with Pepe leading the league with 15 goals.

image.thumb.png.566d56b15d9b2c36a113169c05d2ee4b.png

Nice, been thinking of getting FM Touch on my iPad. How does the instant result button work these days? Is there still the game plan thing?

Good grief. Is it sad to say I felt like crying playing this stupid game?

So, we won 2-1 at Spurs in the 36th game of the season which meant, if we won our next game we would be crowned champions with one game to spare. That was something I was keen on as the final game is away to United.

The title clinching game was home to Southampton, who are 14th. We had 29 shots to their 2. 68% possession....

And lost 1-0!

Stupid game.

Was always going to do an Arsenal save as I support them and I'm finding it tough but interesting.

No summer signings I always disable the first window. In January sitting 6th but 4 points off 4th City, Liverpool and Chelsea are too far gone. Major problem for me is this squad is too imbalanced playing a 4-3-3 I'm not keen on Auba wide so he's been the main striker but there's some home games I will play him on the left and play Laca through the middle. Nelson, Saka and Smith Rowe have been inconsistent so no one has held down that LW spot. Want to go into the market for a CB (suggestions welcomed). CM and LW but wow the options are limited in terms of quality which has me thinking should I gamble and wait until the summer and hope CL is secured.

Hello everybody,

Its been a few years since I’ve posted in this forum, how is everybody 😀

Currently in my second season with the Goons!! Came second in the league season 1 and only silverware was the F.A cup.

I have been trying to develop some of the younger talents at the club, namely Smith Rowe and Salina.

Playing good football with a 4-1-2-2-1, squad is as follows

GK (Sweeper support):

Ederson (63m) Leno and Buffon, Also Ivan Martinez out on loan.

DL (Wing back support)

Tierney, Panzo (3m)

DR (Wing back support)

Bellerin, Bogle, Rafael (selling)

DCR (Central defender defend)

Onguéné (17m) Saliba

DCL (Ball playing defend)

Kimpembe (65m) Holding And Luiz

DM (Deep lying playmaker defend)

Torreira, Tonali (30m) Chambers

MCR (box to box)

Guendouzi and Van de Beek (30m)

MCL (Mezzala attack)

Eriksen (26m and loaned back to spurs from Jan - June 2020) Ozil

AMR (Inverted winger attack)

Pepe and Nelson

AML (Inverted winger attack)

Auba, Smith Rowe

ST (Deep lying forward attack)

Lacca, Haaland and Gouiri

Currently in second in January, I asked the board to sign Ederson and to my suprise they got him for just 63m and 140k wages.

Next season I will be shipping out Ozil and Auba and plan to bring in Willock and Martinelli, unsure on Laccas future currently. Few others will be sold such as Chambers and Maitland Niles. Leno will be sold in the summer, keeping him as Ederson is cup tied.

I have Juve in the CL knockout stages, still in all the cups to, I feel as though the season will be successful.

Does anyone find that Pepe wins a lot of penalties? He has taken 12 for me after 16 league games?

I think my squad needs more experience as when Kimpembe was injured for 6 weeks my form dropped off:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated 😎

COYG

1 hour ago, craiigman said:

What on earth has happened here.

He was transferred listed for 39 million in January season 1 with no other teams interested, I didn’t have enough for the full fee and was keen to use Willock in the cup and Europe games. So offered 26m and loaned him back until the end of the season 🤟

1 hour ago, Smoke_Up said:

He was transferred listed for 39 million in January season 1 with no other teams interested, I didn’t have enough for the full fee and was keen to use Willock in the cup and Europe games. So offered 26m and loaned him back until the end of the season 🤟

I kind of what you to report this as a bug. Might be the most unrealistic transfer I’ve seen on FM this year lol

2 hours ago, craiigman said:

I kind of what you to report this as a bug. Might be the most unrealistic transfer I’ve seen on FM this year lol

Mourinho to Tottenham was the most unrealistic transfer that I saw this year.

Ah, I missed when this thread went up! As always, I started with an Arsenal save this year. I'm currently in season 2, in February.

Season 1 League Table - I finished 2nd to Liverpool in a REALLY tight race.

S1 - Europa League - 1st knockout round

S1 Europa League - rest of the knockout rounds - As you can see, I won the Europa League. However, it was REALLY tight. Some inconsistent play gave me way too much stress throughout, however. But I was able to win it.

S1 FA Cup - The finals was yet more of my inconsistency, where I lost to Wolves. It was incredibly frustrating.

S1 Transfers In - A wide range of transfers here. I'll talk about each of them a little.  I tend to buy youth and try to develop them instead of spending huge amounts of money on established players.

Took in Moussa Wague on loan to cover both my fullback positions due to the injury problems at the start of the season. Unfortunately I was unable to get a future fee agreed with Barcelona. He played reasonably for what I needed him for.

Zeca was brought in as a backup defensive-minded midfielder to play behind Torreira. I wanted someone cheap as I searched for a long-term backup who I could develop into that position. He had a very mediocre season, but did his job. He's playing slightly better so far this season, but now that he's 32 I'm looking for another replacement.

Antony was bought from Brazil for 17 million pounds because I was having some injury issues in January and wanted another winger. He made the AMR position his own since. 8 goals and 3 assists in the half-season I had him to start with, and 7 goals + 5 assists so far this season. He's been my best buy in the save, and well outperformed my expectations, displacing a currently-underperforming Pepe this season.

My other purchases were all for the future. Daramy's been on loan, but will be fighting for a first-team spot next season. Israel, Valera, and Beyer aren't especially close to a first-team spot yet. They're the type of players I love to buy though, pretty cheap prospects that I can hopefully flip for a profit if they don't reach my level.

S1 Transfers Out

---------

S2 League Table so far - Not as many goals as I'd like, but we're not giving them up.

S2 competitions overview - Doing well overall. I hope I don't lose to Spurs in the Carabao Cup.

S2 Transfers In/Out 

I wanted Ozil out due to wages. I'm still paying like 100k/week of his wages, but got a ton of money off the books(this is important due to the wage ballooning I've unfortunately had to do elsewhere :(

Now, about the ins:

With Ozil leaving and Ceballos's loan finishing, I needed replacements for the AMC position. I was able to find 2 of them:

Dani Olmo came over from Dinamo. Only 22, but a heck of a technical player. He's played pretty well, but is currently my backup, but only because I was able to find someone else for free.

You might recognize the name James Rodriguez. I was able to pick him up from Real on a free as his contract expired and they chose not to try to renew it. He has been a FANTASTIC replacement for the inconsistent Ozil, with 8 goals and 6 assists so far this season, plus a lot of "assist assists", where he had an important pass, but not the final assist. And between his contract and what I still have to contribute to Ozil's wages at Wolves, I'm still paying less than 350k/week.

Yan Valery was bought as a backup for Bellerin from relegated Southampton that I am hoping to develop over time. I'm fairly sure I overpaid for him and am regretting this transfer a bit, but hopefully he'll turn out well still.

Najim, Mwanga, Schols, Okou, and Sanches are the really cheap pickups of this season.

---------

First-Team Squad - Emi Martinez is hiding out too but won't show up on the screenshot for some reason.

I've also sent out a bunch of people on loan, so if you don't see someone you were expecting, they're probably out on loan. Feel free to ask about them if you're interested.

---------

Let me know if you're interested in any other info about what I'm doing so far in this save! I have some plans to cull a few players from the squad at the end of this season, particularly Sokratis and Emi Martinez. Possibly Zeca too, if I can find a replacement for that spot in the squad. I also might get rid of Pepe if he doesn't turn around his current slump. He has been TERRIBLE this season compared to what I hoped for after a very good 2019/20.

On 06/12/2019 at 05:38, craiigman said:

Nice, been thinking of getting FM Touch on my iPad. How does the instant result button work these days? Is there still the game plan thing?

There is a game plan thing which is a great feature! The only downside is that there is a bug whereby if you choose a Match Plan the Ass Man won't make any subs... So I usually go the route of not choosing a Match Plan and allowing my Ass Man to make subs, though it depends upon the freshness of my players.

Currently nearing the end of my second season with Arsenal.

First season finished 2nd behind City, was back and forth for the lead most of the season but just couldn’t get it done in the end, lost to them at home with 10 games left and never caught up after that. However we won the Europa League, played vs Tottenham in the final. Lost early in the FA/league cups, just didn’t have the squad depth to stay competitive in all those competitions. Got extra money in November so brought in Ceballos permanently and got Ruben Dias to improve defensively. Also Ivan Martinez, Emiliano Martinez’s wage demands were ridiculous so let him go free.

First season lots of inconsistent performances, Pepe in particular really struggled to the point I replaced him in the first team with Nelson.

Second season going much better. Brought in Luiz Felipe to pair with Dias at CB, Bruno Fernandes, and Erling Haaland. Haaland and Fernandes in particular have been excellent and Pepe has really been great this season as well. Currently in April, played 29 in the league, 1 point behind City but with 3 games in hand. Lost in the league cup final to United, have upcoming CL QF vs Barca and FA cup semifinal vs Liverpool.

Right now going with

Leno/Ivan Martinez

Tierny/Kolasinac

Luiz Felipe/Holding

Ruben Dias/Saliba

Torreira/Xhaka

Guendozi/Ceballos

Fernandes/Willock

Auba/Smith-Rowe and Saka

Pepe/Nelson

Haaland/Laca

Not really playing Ozil so priority upcoming is to offload him, Mustafi, Luiz, Sokratis, Mkhitaryan. Lots of older players with huge wages to clear out.

On 07/12/2019 at 14:22, craiigman said:

I got Erickson for 17.5. In January as he was listed by spurs before his contract up. I bid they accepted and I offered him exactly what he wanted. Sold ozil in the summer and had Erickson as his replacement. But I got board to sign Madison in the first window and in this summer one I got them to sign uppermacano. For the person who sold saka for 3.5mill you are crazy. He is a great player who scores and assists loads of goals for me 🤷

55 minutes ago, 1984mattyd said:

I got Erickson for 17.5. In January as he was listed by spurs before his contract up. I bid they accepted and I offered him exactly what he wanted. Sold ozil in the summer and had Erickson as his replacement. But I got board to sign Madison in the first window and in this summer one I got them to sign uppermacano. For the person who sold saka for 3.5mill you are crazy. He is a great player who scores and assists loads of goals for me 🤷

Eriksen is deadly as a Mezzala. I find Saka to be a great back up to Pepe on the right wing. Just about to start season 3, Signed Ruben Dias off Chelsea for 81m and the board signed Ederson for me for 63m, feeling guilt over selling Leno though, he done nothing wrong, just a world class keeper available, oh well.

57 minutes ago, Smoke_Up said:

Eriksen is deadly as a Mezzala. I find Saka to be a great back up to Pepe on the right wing. Just about to start season 3, Signed Ruben Dias off Chelsea for 81m and the board signed Ederson for me for 63m, feeling guilt over selling Leno though, he done nothing wrong, just a world class keeper available, oh well.

I have him as AMC playmaker. Been great he played in so far. Leno is impeccable. Can't see myself selling him regardless of who is available. Still got Martinez as backup using him for all cup games and he's happy.

Just now, 1984mattyd said:

I have him as AMC playmaker. Been great he played in so far. Leno is impeccable. Can't see myself selling him regardless of who is available. Still got Martinez as backup using him for all cup games and he's happy.

I’m dissapointed in myself, was a real impulsive moment on my behalf, Iv got Ivan Martinez as my 3rd choice and brought in Raya as a cup keeper. How are you finding Reiss? Not cutting it for me.

Hi all,

Having finished my first season at the Emirates and just about to go into season 2, thought now would be a good time for an update. 

As mentioned, I only lightly dabbled in transfers in the first summer, bringing in Kehrer and Douglas Costa (on loan). We started the season really well and had plenty of good wins, a quick example is below. But we also beat City (home and away, including a slightly ridiculous 5-1 away), Liverpool, United, Chelsea etc. I've taken this screenshot though to show quite how dominant we were at home at times...

20191110163053_1.thumb.jpg.4dac069db709b27b710f02b2ae7ec1a9.jpg

In the league cup we lost in the fifth round away to Wolves and the FA Cup we managed to lose away to Brighton. The FA Cup was annoying but I had played a very rotated team as by the new year we fancied our chances in the league. 

After winning 2-1 at Spurs, we had a 3 point lead over City. They had one game to play but we had 2. The next being at home to a mid-table Southampton. Surely, this was the day...

20191207134807_1.thumb.jpg.207b87dd976b845ea1132c67a96e9bc3.jpg

Apparently not! Our final game of the season was away to United (who were currently third) and their pacey Martial and Rashford front pair. We were actually very fortunate but we got the win which meant the final table of season one looked like this...

20191210222349_1.thumb.jpg.810949f632a3071aa34ef75e7da83806.jpg

Next up was the Europa League final vs Lazio. Sadly, the 352 came to bite me again and we lost badly (3-0). We were also blighted by injuries by that point, and didn't have any fit full backs and 2 players and missing 2 wingers. 

Nonetheless, league title secured (3 years ahead of the 'Club Vision') and, of course, a return to the Champions League at the first time of asking.

In terms of transfers for season 2. I wanted to get faster and younger - and overall I think I have managed that. The big departures were Lacazette (grudgingly, but I only play one up front). I also shipped out Luiz and Sokratis to make space for Saliba and either a new RB or CB. Ozil also went to Napoli. 

All of a sudden I had the best part of £900k spare wages (obviously boosted by return to CL too).

I would have liked to keep Ceballos and Costa but their clubs (despite still having them loan listed) wanted £113m and £102m respectively.

So to replace Costa we went English, young and quick with Jadon Sancho (for a new club record). And to replace Ceballos we orignally went for Maddison who was transfer listed but he chose United instead (which was gutting) but we stayed young and quick with a young Spanish lad called Olmo (who I haven't seen mentioned here before...maybe he is terrible). 

And to replace Lacazette we were very unoriginal with Haaland. I had tried for Timo Werner but Haaland was less than half the price.

So this is my transfer activity:

20191210222421_1.thumb.jpg.180b57d9e25765c754644211f895acad.jpg

And, going into Season 2 this is just about my first choice XI. The only wrinkle to add here is we are still quite weak against 352s and pacey front pairs in general, I think a little tweak or two will be needed this season.

20191210222528_1.thumb.jpg.726c7cb45b2c10b7f4867d2a72fd4c3e.jpg

Cheers all

Olmo is one of the top wonderkids in the game and a massive upcoming player irl.. he's come to the fore because of the international call ups he's been getting for Spain and will surely move to a big club this seasons end... in game he has potential to be one of the best.

Also.. is that bruno fernandes? don't see him listed in your transfer activity at all...

1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

@Welshace it would be good to see you do an Arsenal save as I reckon you could be Wenger version 2 with your scouting skills.

I tend to leave the big teams until later on in the year, i'm in a Norwich save right now, but Arsenal are definitely up there on my list of to-do's .. with the 6 or so wonderkids upfront , it's a great prospect.

15 minutes ago, Welshace said:

I tend to leave the big teams until later on in the year, i'm in a Norwich save right now, but Arsenal are definitely up there on my list of to-do's .. with the 6 or so wonderkids upfront , it's a great prospect.

Yeah I think you could bring a golden generation to Arsenal.

I would like to see you do more threads in the Career section as I always like seeing the players you unearth @Welshace

6 hours ago, Welshace said:

Olmo is one of the top wonderkids in the game and a massive upcoming player irl.. he's come to the fore because of the international call ups he's been getting for Spain and will surely move to a big club this seasons end... in game he has potential to be one of the best.

Also.. is that bruno fernandes? don't see him listed in your transfer activity at all...

Ah, yes. Sorry, I did mention him in an earlier post.

I got him in January of Season 1 when Ceballos broke his ankle. 

19 minutes ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Ah, yes. Sorry, I did mention him in an earlier post.

I got him in January of Season 1 when Ceballos broke his ankle. 

Ah ok, i didnt see that post.. will look back...  Have played a few saves but none i could potentially get someone as good as him, always wanted to.

2 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Ah ok, i didnt see that post.. will look back...  Have played a few saves but none i could potentially get someone as good as him, always wanted to.

Was surprised he was available. 

Meanwhile, loads of others have signed Dias from Portugal but he wouldn't even discuss a contract with me..

1 minute ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Was surprised he was available. 

Meanwhile, loads of others have signed Dias from Portugal but he wouldn't even discuss a contract with me..

Yeah it can happen, particularly depending on managers experience set when you create your manager.

I've not played as a big 6 side yet, so might take on Arsenal and see how i get on.

Eddie Nketiah has been great for me so far in season 2 as an Advanced Forward, at least in the cup and continental competitions. Still needs to find some more league consistency, but that's where Aubamayeng has been shining for me so I haven't needed him to shoulder the League burden yet.

cd05084b15.png

1 hour ago, hickmanrocks said:

How are people managing the home grown quota? 

I get moving out deadwood but selling all or just some of the likes of Chambers, Holding, Willock, Nelson, Maitland-Niles, Sako, Smith-Rowe et al would surely leave you short no?

Haven't sold a single one. No need to. Those players there can form part of your squad so easily. Maitland-niles and willock have just been picked for England squad. Saka starts loads, holding is 3rd choice cb for me, smith-rowe is bench. Only chambers is the kind of odd one but he plays a fair bit to. Willock and saka are the best by far and should be considered as starting players in your team.

9 minutes ago, 1984mattyd said:

Haven't sold a single one. No need to. Those players there can form part of your squad so easily. Maitland-niles and willock have just been picked for England squad. Saka starts loads, holding is 3rd choice cb for me, smith-rowe is bench. Only chambers is the kind of odd one but he plays a fair bit to. Willock and saka are the best by far and should be considered as starting players in your team.

Agreed. Chambers has been amazing for me as back RB (played as IWB which might help). Holding has been first choice CB for me all the way through. Nelson is strong first teamer.

I need to find a way to get ESR and Saka involved more but yes, I've kept them all.

Might be a bit random but really enjoy having 5 or 6 England players in my team and the England squad...

2 hours ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Agreed. Chambers has been amazing for me as back RB (played as IWB which might help). Holding has been first choice CB for me all the way through. Nelson is strong first teamer.

I need to find a way to get ESR and Saka involved more but yes, I've kept them all.

Might be a bit random but really enjoy having 5 or 6 England players in my team and the England squad...

For me saka over Nelson but ESR is the one that's going to suffer long term as I have James maddison lol

9 hours ago, hickmanrocks said:

How are people managing the home grown quota? 

I get moving out deadwood but selling all or just some of the likes of Chambers, Holding, Willock, Nelson, Maitland-Niles, Sako, Smith-Rowe et al would surely leave you short no?

Why on earth would you want to sell those players? they all have massive potential and will become the mainstay of your team.... strange.