FM20: Liverpool - Champions of Europe

Siven

First thing i did as Liverpool is sort out our staff.

Several of our staff have a secondary role which lowers their coaching rating, so i gave them new contracts with just the 1 job while also signing a bunch of new staff.

John Kennedy (Def Coach)

Jochen Sauer (U23 Assistant Manager)

Flavio Tenius (GK)

Dennis Bergkamp (U18 coach, or first team coach)

Philippe Vande Walle (u18 GK)

Ze Mario Campiez (u18 fitness)

Nathaniel Weiss (u23 coach)

Kristjaan Speakman (U18 Assistant manager)

Chris Burton (Physio)

Andy Renshaw (Sports Science)

Elio Carravetta (Fitness)

Markus Zetlmeisl (U23 Fitness)

Dirk Kuyt (U18 Manager)

Thomas Caers (U23 Coach)

Grant Downie (Sports Science)

Flavio Tanajura (U18 Coach)

Anselmo Sbragia (fitness)

Chris Welman (Scout)

And some newgen staff for others roles like data analyst and sports science etc.

Players, i only bought in first window are Josha Vagnoman as backup for Robertson and can also play right back, and Mohamed Ihattaren as a young winger, going to retrain him to right inside forward and hope i can get him Det up. Also got Manuel Gasparini as a young GK.

Kept the youth until end of pre season before i loaned them out as a lot of out first team are on a break.

Sold no one at start of season.

Playing a 4141DM (433) formation, pretty much Gegenpress but with Tempo lowered and lowered line of engagement by one notch. 2 Wingers playing Inverted winger attack, tho i may change one to support, and the forward i keep changing role as i cant make up my mind.

Transfer targets for Jan or 2nd season are Haaland, tho i hope i can train his first touch, passing and technique as they are too low for me atm.

Also looking at Diogo Jota from wolves as he looks like a great winger and backup forward too.

Ruben Dias from Benfica is a DC target im hoping to get too, along with Saliba of Arsenal, Florentinio Luis for DM/MC and Sergio Reguilon (DL) for free when his contract runs out at end of first season.

English Youth targets are Dewhurst (GK), Nohan Kenneh and Jude Bellingham.

Edited by Siven

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Won the league first season, lost FA cup final on penalties to Arsenal :(, but then won the Champions league final vs Real Madrid on penalties :)

Had a great season, but i am actually going to restart. Decided i could do a few things better.

Want to get Jota at start of season and a few youngsters a year earlier for getting homegrown status a year earlier.

Also going to train up and play Hoever more as a right back, but need to work on his (and TAA) Stamina, unless i can find a better backup for TAA. Gomez is ok, but poor crossing and i use him mainly as CB anyway.

Changed my formation slightly by having both wide forwards on support, which seemed to make them more involved in play, and midfield is now DM(d), with Mez(s) and DLP(s) infront.

Edited by Siven

11 hours ago, paddypower said:

A bit random, but Ox is amazing at RB. I liked Gomez at CB, and we had a glut of midfielders so I used Milner as Robertson's backup, and retrained Ox to be Trents backup.

Good call on Ox as RB. How long did it take him to improve his positional rating for RB? Has he become Competent or Accomplished?

I like the idea of Ox at RB may also try that too.  I managed to get Alex Telles as back up for Robbo - was listed and got him for about 12m I think - will be joining in Jan.  Also Eriksen was listed at spurs and he is also joining in Jan for a bargain 40m I thought.  Good think with these 2 is neither wanted huge wages and both happy with squad status ( telles is on 20k and eriksen is on 90k).

Currently in negotiations with Haaland.....

I use Fabinho as a RB and I love him there. 

Speaking of 1st window transfers - I've sold Lovren and got Ajer instead (a bit slow but otherwise well-rounded), got Bruno Fernandes and also negotiated with the board to get me a Jamal Lewis as a sub for Robertson.

Lewis was a mistake - 70m USD for him is a bit of overreaction I think. At least he performs somewhat well despite being rated at 2 stars. 

For the summer window I'll try to get Eriksen for free as Lallana replacement, won't renew Milner unless he'll accept a wage below 100k.

Edited by NyanOverlord

Signed Bruno Fernandes and played him as a B2B midfielder. Great player. Scored 27 goals in 51 appearances so far this season, including 20 in Prem League.

On track to win PL. Just knocked out semi-final CL to PSG on away goals. Final of FA Cup v Burnley to come. Focus on buying youth in window.

On 02/12/2019 at 01:25, yonko said:

Good call on Ox as RB. How long did it take him to improve his positional rating for RB? Has he become Competent or Accomplished?

A full season to become accomplished. However I kept encountering a bug that when I played him CM, the training turned off. I missed it a couple of times so probably would have been quicker 

I tried to retrain Ox at full back but he kept complaining.  Ive also tried him as a backup inside forward and he has done well, while Salah was injured. Agree on strikers, Bobby does not score enough despite trying him in DLF, PF, CF. He does drop deep and allows Mane and Salah to cut in to score. Bruno Fernandes finished top scorer however.  Season 2 ive signed Haaland so will see how he does as backup.

15 minutes ago, MBhighfield09 said:

I tried to retrain Ox at full back but he kept complaining.  Ive also tried him as a backup inside forward and he has done well, while Salah was injured. Agree on strikers, Bobby does not score enough despite trying him in DLF, PF, CF. He does drop deep and allows Mane and Salah to cut in to score. Bruno Fernandes finished top scorer however.  Season 2 ive signed Haaland so will see how he does as backup.

When you say Firmino doesn't score enough - what sort of figures (goals/assists) does he give you in a season? 

Edited by diddydaddydoddy

On 04/12/2019 at 09:27, diddydaddydoddy said:

When you say Firmino doesn't score enough - what sort of figures (goals/assists) does he give you in a season? 

first season, his league return was played 33, 9 goals and 7 assists. avg 7.21. However, in CL he scored 7 in 14 games with 1 assist. 4 in 9 in the cup.

I have changed the inside forwards to support and they seem to be providing more assists in to the striker, as Bobby has scored 5 in 6 PL games so far in season 2.

On 30/11/2019 at 02:21, Siven said:

First thing i did as Liverpool is sort out our staff.

Several of our staff have a secondary role which lowers their coaching rating, so i gave them new contracts with just the 1 job while also signing a bunch of new staff.

John Kennedy (Def Coach)

Jochen Sauer (U23 Assistant Manager)

Flavio Tenius (GK)

Dennis Bergkamp (U18 coach, or first team coach)

Philippe Vande Walle (u18 GK)

Ze Mario Campiez (u18 fitness)

Nathaniel Weiss (u23 coach)

Kristjaan Speakman (U18 Assistant manager)

Chris Burton (Physio)

Andy Renshaw (Sports Science)

Elio Carravetta (Fitness)

Markus Zetlmeisl (U23 Fitness)

Dirk Kuyt (U18 Manager)

Thomas Caers (U23 Coach)

Grant Downie (Sports Science)

Flavio Tanajura (U18 Coach)

Anselmo Sbragia (fitness)

Chris Welman (Scout)

And some newgen staff for others roles like data analyst and sports science etc.

Players, i only bought in first window are Josha Vagnoman as backup for Robertson and can also play right back, and Mohamed Ihattaren as a young winger, going to retrain him to right inside forward and hope i can get him Det up. Also got Manuel Gasparini as a young GK.

Kept the youth until end of pre season before i loaned them out as a lot of out first team are on a break.

Sold no one at start of season.

Playing a 4141DM (433) formation, pretty much Gegenpress but with Tempo lowered and lowered line of engagement by one notch. 2 Wingers playing Inverted winger attack, tho i may change one to support, and the forward i keep changing role as i cant make up my mind.

Transfer targets for Jan or 2nd season are Haaland, tho i hope i can train his first touch, passing and technique as they are too low for me atm.

Also looking at Diogo Jota from wolves as he looks like a great winger and backup forward too.

Ruben Dias from Benfica is a DC target im hoping to get too, along with Saliba of Arsenal, Florentinio Luis for DM/MC and Sergio Reguilon (DL) for free when his contract runs out at end of first season.

English Youth targets are Dewhurst (GK), Nohan Kenneh and Jude Bellingham.

How much did you get Ihattaren for?

How everyone doing with Wilson, Brewster, Jones and Woodburn?

Im thinking they wont be worldclass, but will make great squad players ala Origi, but are also homegrown which is important.

Been send them all on loan and theyve done well. 2nd season brewster is having a season long loan as an important player for Norwich, looking for the same for Woodburn and Wilson and jones back to Championship.

On 12/12/2019 at 01:47, jmc1980 said:

How much did you get Ihattaren for?

I got him for £7.5m at end of first season. Loaned him out as I am overflowing with wingers at the moment.

22 hours ago, Siven said:

How everyone doing with Wilson, Brewster, Jones and Woodburn?

Im thinking they wont be worldclass, but will make great squad players ala Origi, but are also homegrown which is important.

Been send them all on loan and theyve done well. 2nd season brewster is having a season long loan as an important player for Norwich, looking for the same for Woodburn and Wilson and jones back to Championship.

I'm keeping Wilson when he came back after first season - he got a fair few goals for Bournemouth and helped them finish top 4! But have loaned out all of the others as I've bought so many players and Brewster didn't really perform well in the first season for me when he was given the chance - he scored a couple but hasn't developed as much as I'd hoped he would have. Have also loaned out Elliot for him to get more minutes. 

Just over half way through the first season so far and sitting top of the league undefeated after 22 games (20-2-0), however, got knocked out of both the FA/League cup. I got burnt by rotating too much, but still had enough quality on the pitch to win the games vs championship clubs in my opinion but that's life. 

Major movements in the summer: 

In's: Bruno Fernandes and Milinković-Savić

Out's: Lallana, Clyne, Lovren 

January Window: Signed Haaland for £30m after unsettling him and got Dayot Upamecano for £15m rising to £19m (but the £4m add on is if he scores 50 league goals hehe). Also signed Tonali for £10m after he was unhappy at the club. 

In mid-Jan at the moment, and having the most horrendous luck with injuries.... Keita/Ox/Firmino/Robertson/Henderson all out for at least a month. Henderson/Matip/Mili-Savic/Mane are all out for a couple of weeks now too. I thought I was rotating the team well enough so no one was in the high-risk zone, but most of these have come about in the last few weeks. 

Made a request to the board to invest in the youth facilities and expanding the stadium. Any advice for season 2 in terms of transfers? I am aware I need cover for LB/RB. 

2 hours ago, lfc4ever said:

Just over half way through the first season so far and sitting top of the league undefeated after 22 games (20-2-0), however, got knocked out of both the FA/League cup. I got burnt by rotating too much, but still had enough quality on the pitch to win the games vs championship clubs in my opinion but that's life. 

Major movements in the summer: 

In's: Bruno Fernandes and Milinković-Savić

Out's: Lallana, Clyne, Lovren 

January Window: Signed Haaland for £30m after unsettling him and got Dayot Upamecano for £15m rising to £19m (but the £4m add on is if he scores 50 league goals hehe). Also signed Tonali for £10m after he was unhappy at the club. 

In mid-Jan at the moment, and having the most horrendous luck with injuries.... Keita/Ox/Firmino/Robertson/Henderson all out for at least a month. Henderson/Matip/Mili-Savic/Mane are all out for a couple of weeks now too. I thought I was rotating the team well enough so no one was in the high-risk zone, but most of these have come about in the last few weeks. 

Made a request to the board to invest in the youth facilities and expanding the stadium. Any advice for season 2 in terms of transfers? I am aware I need cover for LB/RB. 

I got Regulion on a free, but he's on £75k. He is worth £35m for me currently, after 5 games into season 2. So not bad if you wanted to get him to sell him on after, considering he is only 23. I signed Max Aarons in first season (for £56m though) for RB cover. But Hoever is rated very highly for me at the moment and he will get his chances too. 

I just sold Shaquiri to a chinese club at the end of my 1st season for 57m.  He has not been a bad player for me, but I have good youth prospects in his position coming through and whilst he was good, I still thought 57m was a good deal!!

I hope I don't regret selling him......

11 hours ago, gmulv said:

I just sold Shaquiri to a chinese club at the end of my 1st season for 57m.  He has not been a bad player for me, but I have good youth prospects in his position coming through and whilst he was good, I still thought 57m was a good deal!!

I hope I don't regret selling him......

Nice.

Chinese came and bought Lovren from me for £48.5m

Havent managed to sell him yet, just started my 2nd season.

Edited by Siven

Is Harvey Elliott’s determination random?  In my game his determination is just 3 which is really annoying. Obviously he’s not ready yet, but don’t feel I can put him in my team with determination that low. 

Plus whilst he is in the the U18 squad I’m not sure what I can do to improve it. 

2 minutes ago, guruhd said:

Is Harvey Elliott’s determination random?  In my game his determination is just 3 which is really annoying. Obviously he’s not ready yet, but don’t feel I can put him in my team with determination that low. 
Plus whilst he is in the the U18 squad I’m not sure what I can do to improve it. 

Just checked and his Mental traits are all random

1 hour ago, guruhd said:

Add him to training unit or promote him with availbe for u18 - should make it better for mentor :) 

Anyone having a go at 4-3-3 like IRL? struggling with DM, AMR and AML for consistency. 4-2-3-1 on the other hand is great. 

3 minutes ago, Ramsdal03 said:

Anyone having a go at 4-3-3 like IRL? struggling with DM, AMR and AML for consistency. 4-2-3-1 on the other hand is great. 

I play Fabinho as DLP (D) - I have a very high attacking line and use TAA/Robbo as CWBs, so Fab protects my two CDs and yet gets involved high up the pitch when attacking as IRL. Salah and Mane, I had trouble with consistency  too but found that I just tweaked attacking width down a notch and they are fine now, with realistic goals/assists.

6 minutes ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

I play Fabinho as DLP (D) - I have a very high attacking line and use TAA/Robbo as CWBs, so Fab protects my two CDs and yet gets involved high up the pitch when attacking as IRL. Salah and Mane, I had trouble with consistency  too but found that I just tweaked attacking width down a notch and they are fine now, with realistic goals/assists.

What about CM roles? Have been using CM S, B2B, Carrilero and DPL - there is just something about it that doesn't tick as well as other formations. '

Have also been using Fabinho as a Regista, and that offensively works wonders, but leaves defence open of course. 

Edited by Ramsdal03

1 minute ago, Ramsdal03 said:

What about CM roles? Have been using CM S, B2B, Carrilero and DPL - there is just something about it that doesn't tick as well as other formations. 

Keita - B2B, Hendo - Carrilero/B2B, Wijnaldum - Carrilero, AOC - Mezzala, Milner - I struggle with tbh. I find them effective - in real life they are more 'workhorses' (pressing, covering WBs, supporting) 

Currently have both fullbacks as WBs.

DMd and the 2 midfield are BBM and CMs with more closing down and tight marking.

Forward roles i keep changing but atm, Left wing as IWs, right wing IFA and striker DFA. All with more closing down and tight marking.

But i keep changing the front 3 to try and get Mane scoring more (may go attack role) and Firmino to score more, his 13 finishing is 2 or 3 points too low imo.

High pressing and Dline, shorter passing and normal tempo.

End of Feb in Season 1 and top of the league (undefeated) by 12 points. Just had 2 massive offers from Chinese clubs for Matip & Shaq for £47m and £42m respectively which I've accepted. Hopefully, enough buffer in the league to see it out, and can manage the players up front till the summer. 

19 hours ago, gmulv said:

Thought I’d start over. New game 3 weeks in we seem to be in the process of a board takeover which doesn’t seem overly realistic!

Haha, I got rumours of a "potential takeover" talks towards start of season 2, but it got quashed...who knows though. Not heard anything about it for a while 

Hi guys just bought the game and of course started a Liverpool save. I am basically using the same tactic i used in 19 and so far it is working well. Half way through the first season and still in all comps and second in the league behind City. Best game so far was an amazing comeback at Arsenal where Fabinho got sent off after 28 seconds!

8M2tgiR.jpg

The schedule towards the end of the second season is really annoying...much like ours in real life...

In April, games on: 3, 5, 9, 14, 18, 23, 26, 28 (CL semi)

In May, games on: 1, 4 (CL semi), 6, 9, 12, 16, 22 (FA final)

Luckily, I'm 8 points clear of City with two games in hand and 7 games remaining for me, but 5 for them. But I'm playing Arsenal and Spurs within 3 days...

Got to hope for the best.

Tired of this years ME - Winning but IF not scoring enough, Mane and Salah - they have scoret 4 and 6 in December and struggling to make a tactic around IF's. Also tingering with CM's and making the best of Fabinho - He does well as Regista and DLP S though.

I am aiming for a cross between Vertical Tiki and Gegenpress as I feel that's what we are doing this year IRL

On 26/12/2019 at 11:34, Ramsdal03 said:

Tired of this years ME - Winning but IF not scoring enough, Mane and Salah - they have scoret 4 and 6 in December and struggling to make a tactic around IF's. Also tingering with CM's and making the best of Fabinho - He does well as Regista and DLP S though.

I am aiming for a cross between Vertical Tiki and Gegenpress as I feel that's what we are doing this year IRL

Post a screenshot of your tactic. People would be happy to help if you provide more info.

Why are you using Fabinho in playmaking role? What is the idea behind it?

In my first season, I got 24 goals and 15 assists from Salah. Mane scored 21 goals, 9 assists (missed a few weeks through injuries) and Firmino had 23 goals, 6 assists. My tactic was build to share the goals. I used both Mane and Salah as IF-S, while Bobby was F9 or DLF-S, depending if the opposition used DM or not. He was scoring most of his goals as DLF, btw.

I think these are pretty realistic numbers. Maybe I got more out of Bobby than Klopp gets IRL but that was down to my intent to still make him productive as DLF.

SEASON 1 REVIEW

The league went down to the last match with us and Man City only losing 2 games each during the season. We eventually won by 2 points however City got revenge in the domestic cup finals...

1mypB6m.jpg

The star player was Salah with 32 goals and 32 assists although Mane was top scorer with 36.

wDRZL51.jpg

I went for a formation with 2 up top and wingbacks which works really well. The only downside is those wingbacks pick up loads of yellow cards.

XCYXrNU.jpg

TRANSFERS

First Season

IN

Evan N'Dicka

Fabio Silva

Emanuel Vignato

Jude Bellingham

OUT

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Xherdan Shaqiri

Second Season

IN

Rayan Ait-Nouri

Matthijs De Ligt

Erling Haarland

OUT

Virgil Van Dijk

Adrian

Divock origi

Sheyi Ojo

Look who's coming to Anfield in Summer 2021

248142429_Mbappetransfer.thumb.png.7f7aefcbec29bc9a0acae0a82879bfe8.png

I will probably have to sell Bobby or change my formation to 4-2-4 / 4-2-3-1.

Currently I have:

GK - Alisson / Adrian

RB - TAA / Dest

LB - Robertson / Mykolenko

CB - Joe Gomez & Van Dijk / Matip & Cuenca

DM - Fabinho / Declan Rice

CM - Hendo & Eriksen / Wijnaldum & Keita

AMR - Salah / Wilson

AML - Mane / Chamberlain

ST - Firmino / Woodburn 

I have Hoever, Marco Kana, Brewster, Origi, Curtis Jones, Van Der Berg and Bellingham out on loans playing well and developing. Kana and Brewster look ready to be part of the squad. Hoever and Bellingham are close to that as well.

I will have to trim the squad a little, so I will probably sell a few players. I like to keep a squad of 22 or 23 players. 

4 hours ago, yonko said:

Look who's coming to Anfield in Summer 2021

248142429_Mbappetransfer.thumb.png.7f7aefcbec29bc9a0acae0a82879bfe8.png

I will probably have to sell Bobby or change my formation to 4-2-4 / 4-2-3-1.

Currently I have:

GK - Alisson / Adrian

RB - TAA / Dest

LB - Robertson / Mykolenko

CB - Joe Gomez & Van Dijk / Matip & Cuenca

DM - Fabinho / Declan Rice

CM - Hendo & Eriksen / Wijnaldum & Keita

AMR - Salah / Wilson

AML - Mane / Chamberlain

ST - Firmino / Woodburn 

I have Hoever, Marco Kana, Brewster, Origi, Curtis Jones, Van Der Berg and Bellingham out on loans playing well and developing. Kana and Brewster look ready to be part of the squad. Hoever and Bellingham are close to that as well.

I will have to trim the squad a little, so I will probably sell a few players. I like to keep a squad of 22 or 23 players. 

Wow! How can you afford to buy him?

19 hours ago, GR3NDAL said:

Wow! How can you afford to buy him?

Well the details of the transfer and his salary are all in the screenshot. That's why I posted it. I don't know why you are surprised I can afford him. Don't you make loads of money with Liverpool? I always found PSG willing to sell him. With Barca on FM19 I usually bought him for 200m euros even (110m upfront plus 90m over 3 payments).

5 hours ago, yonko said:

Well the details of the transfer and his salary are all in the screenshot. That's why I posted it. I don't know why you are surprised I can afford him. Don't you make loads of money with Liverpool? I always found PSG willing to sell him. With Barca on FM19 I usually bought him for 200m euros even (110m upfront plus 90m over 3 payments).

I suppose I could have bought him too. His estimated cost is 200m pounds but I went for buying  Sancho + De ligt + Haaland for about the same cost.

Talking of summer 21 the new format/time of the World Club championship took me by surprise and I had to attempt it with a severely depleted and out of condition squad. Also the African nations cup was happening at the same time so no Salah,mane or Kieta!