Director of Football

So I've just finished my first season of FM20 with Man United and obviously we have a huge war chest to ***** on new players. 

To make this more interesting/challenging I hired of Director of Football who I put in charge of all scouting and transfer responsibilities for the club. This inlcudes identifying targets and then making offers, similar to how my u23 manager buys young players for his squad. 

I've had my DoF for the January window and now just going into the summer 2020 window, however he is yet to find and make an offer for a player on his own, which is what I thought he'd be doing? My u23 manager does this for younger players so why doesn't my DoF? 

I have Bruno Fernandes joining, because I made him a transfer target for my DoF to sign, however I was hoping he would identify players on his own and bring them in to make the save more challenging and different to what I usually do. 

Does anyone know if they can do this, or is my DoF just a bit slow in the market? 

One good change that could be made would being able to interact with him so, for example, Young is leaving in the summer so I'll need a new left back. It would be useful if I could communicate that to my DoF for him to bring in his favoured option there. I know you can ask for his recommendation for a position but I basically want him to lead all transfer decisions and negotiations - is this possible? 

Thanks 

You have to set his responsibilities in the Staff section, otherwise he won't do anything unless you tell him to.  Also keep in mind, I've done a test with a DoF and set his necessary attributes to max (20 rating), and had him go out and try to get good players on his own.  He doesn't.  He made some seriously stupid signings and ontop of that the contracts he made were a bit ridiculous.  Huge loyalty bonuses that ended up screwing you if you wanted to sell that player later on.

So I tested it further and I started doing the contracts myself and I was able to get the player to sign with WAY LESS bonuses and even lower wages, and atleast HALF LESS of loyalty bonuses.

So I fired my DoF.  Waste of time.  Maybe one day SI will make it so the DoF does realistic signings and good contracts, not ridiculous ones.

Edited by extremeskins04

Do D’sOF have hidden personality traits like players? Pretty sure personality and preferences will have an impact also. I don’t think it’s just as simple as setting all his important attributes to 20 and expecting him to tempt Mbappe to United for 200k a week. But perhaps that’s all just wishful thinking.

I sign a DOF to add to my scouting knowledge. A very expensive addition to scouting knowledge. I may explore the option of allowing one to find suitable players. But I don’t trust anyone to offer a transfer fee for a player and I certainly don’t trust anyone to negotiate contracts for me.

1 hour ago, sidslayer said:

Do D’sOF have hidden personality traits like players? Pretty sure personality and preferences will have an impact also. I don’t think it’s just as simple as setting all his important attributes to 20 and expecting him to tempt Mbappe to United for 200k a week. But perhaps that’s all just wishful thinking.

I sign a DOF to add to my scouting knowledge. A very expensive addition to scouting knowledge. I may explore the option of allowing one to find suitable players. But I don’t trust anyone to offer a transfer fee for a player and I certainly don’t trust anyone to negotiate contracts for me.

Otherwise all AI n the game would be making signings like this which would be alarming. To make FM challenging, I delegate to staff and have final say on signings. DoF could definitely get improved but I haven't noticed anything alarming

Yeah I wasn't expecting him to make fantastic signings just curious to see how they work in the game - do they players for positions we're short in or do they buy who's available? 

In fact, signing some absolute rubbish would be good as I wanted this to make it more of a challenge as usually with United it's easy to dominate. Currently he's signed no one though so that's my only concern but maybe he's a deadline day wheeler and dealer