FM20 Central Defenders

eye-switcher

Playing as whom? Depending on the money, in the second year, plenty are attainable. Skiniar, Umtiti, Varane = all three can be obtained for around 80 Mn in the second year (depending on interest and performances). 

Along the cheaper scale, Ajer and Upamecano are also attainable, and become rather good. Same with Tuanzebe and Stefan Savic. And Jose Gimenez or Jonathan Tah.

I've only found a few CBs to be completely unattainable, Marquinhos among them. A beast, and probably the best attribute distribution, but PSG keep awarding him new contracts and refusing to sell.

two French central defenders of Leipzig, Konate & Upamecano are amazing.

if you are obsessed like me with playing a left footed central defender at DLC (central defender left) then Bastoni from Inter or Uduokhai from Wolfsburg are all good choices. 

other than those, even Tarkowski from Burnley would contribute you a lot, central defenders are in abundance, unlike good left and right backs. 

some of the other notable options are Godfrey from Norwich, Milenkovic from Fiorentina or Ferro from Benfica. (but there are so many good DC's out there) 

Edited by CapaJr

Thanks for the suggestions. Isnt Ajer more of a Dm than a CB or will he hold against the best as a CB also? Does Upamecano gets good in this iteration of FM? I dont think his attributes look that impressing. I play as Wolves but in My second save im in My second year. I will have a look at Savic and Tah and see if they might want to join. Gimenez is probably too exoensive

3 hours ago, eye-switcher said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Isnt Ajer more of a Dm than a CB or will he hold against the best as a CB also? Does Upamecano gets good in this iteration of FM? I dont think his attributes look that impressing. I play as Wolves but in My second save im in My second year. I will have a look at Savic and Tah and see if they might want to join. Gimenez is probably too exoensive

Upamecano is really good- especially due to his pace he is really effective when the opposition tries a long ball through your defensive line. 

Ajer is effective in both positions, i now use him as a CB but other times i used him as a DM (deep lying playmaker defend) and he always contributes well. 

Btw I play as Wolves too, this is my team as i am about to start the second season. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 15.50.01.png

Van Drongelen maybe worth a look, currently at Hamburg in German 2nd Div. He is still only 21 so his stats may not be top quality, however, I've found him to be very consistent added bonus is he can also play LB/LWB. He may not be the finished article just yet but for under 5m you can't complain. 

I got Tobido unsettled at Barca and got him for about 30M, he's quite good so far.

I'll also mention Javier Montero from Atleti. Atleti have Nehuen Perez who looks good but I've not used him.

Merih Demiral is available for about 20M after the first season in my game too.

As DC I recommend Nicolo Armini from Lazio. You can sign him as 17 years old for 1-2 mio. euros in the start of the game.

Give 2-3 years to develop and he will become an excellent DC (left footed Ball Playing Defender). He can also play DL.

For my Inter save he is now 21 years old and already an established player in my defence and also now in the preferred start 11 of the Italy national team. He has many great years in front of him. See screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 19.24.31.png

14 hours ago, 303jonas said:

Give 2-3 years to develop and he will become an excellent DC (left footed Ball Playing Defender). He can also play DL.

I actually load up my FM19 (been on a break) since I did a double-take on this. So, Armini is left footed on FM20?

On 29/11/2019 at 12:50, CapaJr said:

Upamecano is really good- especially due to his pace he is really effective when the opposition tries a long ball through your defensive line. 

Ajer is effective in both positions, i now use him as a CB but other times i used him as a DM (deep lying playmaker defend) and he always contributes well. 

Btw I play as Wolves too, this is my team as i am about to start the second season. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 15.50.01.png

Off topic, but how much did you pay for Hakimi?

On 18/12/2019 at 01:42, enders357 said:

Off topic, but how much did you pay for Hakimi?

I loaned him right after his loan with Dortmund ended- he was listed automatically for loan again- then after the second season i used my optional buy fee which was around 75m 

• 1 month later...